Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you think's gonna win?
Okada
Tanahashi
Naito
Shibata
Tenzan
Field
View Results

• Locked thread
Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.

Food Court Druid posted:

I would like to report a murder.

UPDATE: Make that two murders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Welp Naito's dead.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I only watched the final 3 matches but if those are any indication this show was real good

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
That was def my favorite show so far, Yano/Honma was Yanomatch.txt which I always dig, the next two were great and would be highlight matches on any other night, and the last two were loving fantastic.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

A Block returns late tonight/early tomorrow morning at 3:00 EDT/8:00 BST

G1 Climax Night 8
July 31st at 3:00 EDT/8:00 BST
Gifu Industrial Hall

Yuji Nagata and TIger Mask vs. Michael Elgin and David Finlay
Shibata, Kojima, Nakanishi, and Liger vs. CHAOS (YOSHI, YTR, and Gedo) + Nakajima
Ryusuke Taguchi and Captain New Japan vs. Bullet Club (Kenny Omega and Yujiro Takahashi)
KUSHIDA, Tomoaki Honma, and Juice Robinson vs. L.I.J (Tetsuya Naito, EVIL, and BUSHI)
G1 Climax Block A Match:Tomohiro Ishii [4] vs. Tama Tonga [2]
G1 Climax Block A Match:SANADA [4] vs. Bad Luck Fale [2]
G1 Climax Block A Match:Togi Makabe [8] vs. Naomichi Marufuji [6]
G1 Climax Block A Match:Hiroyoshi Tenzan [4] vs. Kazuchika Okada [6]
G1 Climax Block A Match:Hiroshi Tanahashi [2] vs. Hirooki Goto [4]

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

yep

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."

ParanoidInc posted:

That was def my favorite show so far, Yano/Honma was Yanomatch.txt which I always dig, the next two were great and would be highlight matches on any other night, and the last two were loving fantastic.

Yep, easily the best night of G1 so far. One could argue for night 1 with it's upsets but I don't think so.

You had 2 of the best matches in the whole tournament back to back here. Shibata and Naito REALLY went after each other right from the first head kick that started things off. The intensity never let up really until someone died. It was very good to see the top stars of NJPW kick it in to high gear and just beat the poo poo out of each other. Speaking of, Elgin and Kenny do so well together. Very impressive to see how Kenny can handle Mike's weight like it ain't no thing. Very physical match that could have gone either way and I'd of been happy.

Loved those two matches. Just a couple of knock out, drag out wars between characters who absolutely despise one another.

Those matches alone made it amazing but don't sleep Yoshii v Evil. That was a killer match as well. Also, Nagata's best match so far maybe? Maybe. Hard to say. Then Yano v Honma was fun too.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like I have enough energy to be into FOUR wrestling matches today. Could someone please recommend the FOUR best matches in this so far, such that I can watch all FOUR of them

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
This G1 show was rad as hell. I don't think there was a bad/weak match on Night 8. Last two were probably the best matches so far with Naito/Elgin and a toss up between Sanada/Tanahashi and Okada/Marufuji. If Tama Tonga has a bad/boring match with Ishii then I say his G1 was a bust and last years impressiveness on the undercard was a fluke.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I can't believe I'm typing this but I honestly think YOSHI-HASHI is currently my fave wrestler in the world right now.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Skinty McEdger posted:

I can't believe I'm typing this but I honestly think YOSHI-HASHI is currently my fave wrestler in the world right now.

Yoshi-Hashi has been impressing me a lot.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

maybe the plan is to deliberately kill NOAH

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Roughly 2 hours this G1 show starts

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The actual block matches are starting now

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Is this the last match of the night!?! :gonk:

Edit: Tanahashi at 50% is still one of the best wrestlers in the world :stare:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jul 31, 2016

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

One excellent match (Okada vs. Tenzan) with the wrong ending and sadly nothing much else to recommend.

Tomorrow's show looks really good though! It's the latest start of the tour at 6:00 EDT/11:00 AM BST, so you can sleep in a bit if you're off Mondays like me or start work fairly late in the morning

NJPW Climax Night 10
Takamatsu Civic General Gymnasium
August 1st at 6:00 EDT/ 11:00 BST

Jushin Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask, and Captain New Japan vs. Ryusuke Taguchi, Juice Robinson, and David Finlay
TenCozy and Manabu Nakanishi vs. Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Tama Tonga, and Yujiro Takahashi)
Naomichi Marufuji and Hirooki Goto vs. L.I.J (SANADA and BUSHI)
Hiroshi Tanahashi, Togi Makabe, and KUSHIDA vs. CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii, and Gedo)
G1 Climax Block B match:YOSHI-HASHI [4] vs. Katushiko Nakajima [6]
G1 Climax Block B match:Yuji Nagata [6] vs. Michael Elgin [4]
G1 Climax Block B match:Katsuyori Shibata [4] vs. Toru Yano [2]
G1 Climax Block B match:Kenny Omega [4] vs. EVIL [2]
G1 Climax Block B match:Tomoaki Honma [4] vs. Tetsuya Naito [4]

www.purolove.com posted:

NJPW "G1 CLIMAX 26", 31.07.2016 (NJPW World)
Gifu Industrial Hall
2,581 Fans - Super No Vacancy Full House

1. Yuji Nagata & Tiger Mask besiegen Michael Elgin & David Finlay (6:48) nach einem Avalanche-Style Double-Arm Suplex von Tiger gegen Finlay.
2. Katsuyori Shibata, Satoshi Kojima, Manabu Nakanishi & Jushin Thunder Liger besiegen Toru Yano, YOSHI-HASHI, Gedo & Katsuhiko Nakajima (7:45) nach einer Lariat von Kojima gegen Gedo.
3. Kenny Omega & Yujro Takahashi besiegen Ryusuke Taguchi & Captain New Japan (6:10) nach dem Pimp Juice von Yujiro gegen Captain.
4. Tetsuya Naito, "King of Darkness" EVIL & BUSHI besiegen Tomoaki Honma, KUSHIDA & Juice Robinson (8:20) nach dem EVIL von EVIL gegen Robinson.
5. G1 Climax - Block A: Tama Tonga [4] besiegt Tomohiro Ishii [4] (11:00) mit dem Gun Stun.
6. G1 Climax - Block A: Bad Luck Fale [4] besiegt SANADA [4] (9:06) mit dem Bad Luck Fall.
7. G1 Climax - Block A: Naomichi Marufuji [6] besiegt Togi Makabe [8] (10:39) mit dem Shiranui.
8. G1 Climax - Block A: Kazuchika Okada [8] besiegt Hiroyoshi Tenzan [4] (12:30) mit dem Rainmaker.
9. G1 Climax - Block A: Hiroshi Tanahashi [4] besiegt Hirooki Goto [4] (15:47) mit dem High Fly Flow.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 31, 2016

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
I had a weird flash back with last nights event at Gifu industry hall. It had a real early 2000's ROH feel to it.

Too bad the matches were kind of... just okay. Nothing like "OMG" levels of greatness but they were decent enough.

The reversal from Tama Tonga for his win was neat. I liked the way Ishii worked with him. He did a lot little things to cut off Tama's normal running off the rope sequences early on. Loved it when Ishii got drop kicked into the ropes and he just took the momentum and bounced back across the ring at Tama and leveled him by using his upper body as a solid weapon, lol. Good stuff.

Tanahashi got to play some air guitar! It was neat to watch him interact with the fans afterwards. :3: It's nice that they showed that stuff. Pro wrestling fan service at it's most heart warming levels. Good for him and NJPW! The crowd had a lot of fun most of the night it seemed. They were super hot with that Tenzan v Okada match. I'm glad things went the way they did.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
I really, really liked the Tenzan/Okada match, even if it had the wrong finish. I think most people liked it, but I was surprised not to see more LOVE for it. I feel like I'm on a different page to most people w/r/t what I enjoy in NJPW a lot of the time. See a bunch of people calling this morning's show the worst show so far while I thought it was pretty good, and some of the most heavily praised shows left me cold.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I like that Tama is using the Stun Gun now, that rules.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Has Big Dave been giving out star ratings to G1 or did he only do them for Night 1?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'm on team Tenzan and I thought Tenzan/Okada had the absolute right ending. If you are doing the story where Tenzan makes a run, he had to lose a match at this part of the tournament. He wins early to get people behind him, then loses a few to set up the run at the end. If they do this right and have Tenzan win the thing the storyline for him and Okada makes no sense if he's already beaten him. He has to be the old man trying to prove something to the cocky young punk and show the fans he's got one last championship in him. If he's already beaten Okada in the G1 that angle falls apart. If he's not winning the G1 then do they really want to do Tenzan vs Okada at KOPW? I think the story is all wrong for that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

KungFu Grip posted:

Has Big Dave been giving out star ratings to G1 or did he only do them for Night 1?

He's really far behind and trying to catch up, on top of his usual busy schedule they've moved Smackdown live to Tuesdays and he spent a weekend being inducted in the Wrestling Hall of Fame then struggling to make deadline for his newsletter, so he's really behind the 8 Ball.

Hell I'm busy but nothing even close to his schedule and I'm barely able to keep up with the G1, I'm catching up on last night's show now in hopes of being ready for tonight's show!

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

We're halfway through the tournament, and even Gedo is taped up.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

I'm on team Tenzan and I thought Tenzan/Okada had the absolute right ending. If you are doing the story where Tenzan makes a run, he had to lose a match at this part of the tournament. He wins early to get people behind him, then loses a few to set up the run at the end. If they do this right and have Tenzan win the thing the storyline for him and Okada makes no sense if he's already beaten him. He has to be the old man trying to prove something to the cocky young punk and show the fans he's got one last championship in him. If he's already beaten Okada in the G1 that angle falls apart. If he's not winning the G1 then do they really want to do Tenzan vs Okada at KOPW? I think the story is all wrong for that.

Tenzan vs. Okada at whatever Destruction show is headlined by an IWGP match would've been perfect though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cool opening tourney match, I think Nakajima joins the ranks of the dead after that finisher.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Lol, I just noticed the straps on Elgin's ring jacket are weights

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HOLY poo poo YANO BEAT SHIBATA :lol:

In like 35 seconds, ahahahaha

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Solid but unspectacular show.

Tuesday's an off day just like last week and the tour resumes with Block A on Wednesday at the normal weekday time of 5:30 EDT/ 10:30 BST. Looks like a pretty solid Block A show. Tanahashi vs. Ishii has the potential to be the match of the tournament (watch their 2013 one if you haven't!) and Maru/SANADA should be fun, and both Fale and Tenzan have been good this tournament. I'm not a Makabe fan but he and Okada had a really good match three years ago and Okada will prob be working heel in this one like he did vs.Tenzan.

G1 Climax Night 11
August 3rd, 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST
Kagoshima Arena

Jushin Thunder Liger and Tiger Mask vs. Ryusuke Taguchi and David Finlay
Elgin, Nagata, Kojima, and Nakanishi vs. CHAOS (YTR, YOSHI-HASHI, and Gedo) + Nakanjima
Katsuyori Shibata and Captain New Japan vs. Bullet Club (Kenny Omega and Yujiro Takahashi)
Tomoaki Honma, KUSHIDA, and Juice Robinson vs. L.I.J (Naito, EVIL, and BUSHI)
G1 Climax Block A Match:Hiroyoshi Tenzan [4] vs. Bad Luck Fale [4]
G1 Climax Block A Match:Hirooki Goto [4] vs. Tama Tonga [4]
G1 Climax Block A Match:Naomichi Marufuji [6] vs. SANADA [4]
G1 Climax Block A Match:Hiroshi Tanahashi [4] vs. Tomohiro Ishii [4]
G1 Climax Block A Match:Togi Makabe [8] vs. Kazuchika Okada [8]

purolove posted:

NJPW "G1 CLIMAX 26", 01.08.2016 (NJPW World)
Takamatsu City Gymnasium

1. Ryusuke Taguchi, Juice Robinson & David Finlay beisegen Jushin Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask & Captain New Japan (5:46) nach dem Pulp Friction von Robinson gegen Captain.
2. Bad Luck Fale, Tama Tonga & Yujiro Takahashi besiegen Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Manabu Nakanishi (7:03) nach dem Gun Stun von Tonga gegen Nakanishi.
3. Hirooki Goto & Naomichi Marufuji besiegen SANADA & BUSHI (5:42) nach dem GTR von Goto gegen BUSHI.
4. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Togi Makabe & KUSHIDA besiegen Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii & Gedo (8:38) nach einer Moonsault Press von KUSHIDA gegen Gedo.
5. G1 Climax - Block B: YOSHI-HASHI [6] besigt Katsuhiko Nakajima [6] (12:02) mit dem Karma.
6. G1 Climax - Block B: Michael Elgin [6] besiegt Yuji Nagata [6] (10:35) mit der Elgin Bomb.
7. G1 Climax - Block B: Toru Yano [4] besiegt Katsuyori Shibata [4].
8. G1 Climax - Block B: Kenny Omega [6] besiegt "King of Darkness" EVIL [2] (10:15) mit dem Katayoku no Tenshi.
9. G1 Climax - Block B: Tetsuya Naito [6] besiegt Tomoaki Honma [4] (20:38) mit dem Destino.

results courtesy of http://purolove.com/

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I was amused during the Yano/Shibata match because despite Yano doing the same schtick he always does the crowd seemed to be buying the nearfalls. I thought it was cute since there was no way the match was gonna finish so early... and then Yano flash-pins Shibata and the match is over!

Probably the highlight of the show for me. Everything else was fine but completely unspectacular. Fale beating SANADA is dumb, every other ending seemed reasonable enough.

Edit: I'm dumb, I watched the previous night's show beforehand and was thinking of the Fale/SANADA match from that.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Both are down from the 2014 gate, but today's weekday show headlined by Naito vs. Honma drew (2,144) drew nominally better than 2015's (2,044) Saturday night G1 card from the same venue headlined by Okada vs. Honma.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thauros posted:

Tenzan vs. Okada at whatever Destruction show is headlined by an IWGP match would've been perfect though.

I guess I just don't see the match working unless you really go for it. Fans didn't even buy the Nagata challenge for the NEVER title until he'd practically won it. Doing the Tenzan one last chance shot on a minor show? Ehhhhh.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Yano beating Shibata is just shameful. My boy Katsuyori isn't having the best tournament. A few anticipated matches fell short for me and his only real standout match was the one that will be played over and over at his murder trial.

Glad to see that Tama Tonga hit a stretch of good matches. The Ishii one was very good in my opinion. I was worried that he'd have a totally lackluster tournament but I think he just didn't mesh well with early opponents and was feeling the nerves.

My tourney MVPs so far are YOSHI-HASHI, Tenzan, and Naito which is just crazy to say. I don't think Tenzan is winning it because the obvious play with Kojima at ringside for every match is a feud based on Tenzan letting us all down. That or he wins it and Naito steals the briefcase.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Yano beating Shibata is just shameful. My boy Katsuyori isn't having the best tournament. A few anticipated matches fell short for me and his only real standout match was the one that will be played over and over at his murder trial.

Glad to see that Tama Tonga hit a stretch of good matches. The Ishii one was very good in my opinion. I was worried that he'd have a totally lackluster tournament but I think he just didn't mesh well with early opponents and was feeling the nerves.

My tourney MVPs so far are YOSHI-HASHI, Tenzan, and Naito which is just crazy to say. I don't think Tenzan is winning it because the obvious play with Kojima at ringside for every match is a feud based on Tenzan letting us all down. That or he wins it and Naito steals the briefcase.

Yano beat Naito in the year he won it. Yano is a guy to lose to or beat based on how effective his fuckery is. Kind of the Bad Luck Fale spot, where you can lose to him without losing momentum or giving him any.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Even in Tama's matches that turn out decent his heat segments are deathly loving dull to me. If there's any good stuff in his matches it's almost always his opponent bringing it. I did like that Frankensteiner/spear combo he did in the Ishii match. I wish he'd use more offense like that and less stalking around and generic clubbering.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
is there anyone happier to win matches than my boy YTR?

:shrug:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i want to see the |=[=matches=]=| of today's big time event

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Tana/Ishii was real good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Food Court Druid posted:

Tana/Ishii was real good.

I still can't get over how ecstatic the crowd gets after Tanahashi's victories when he comes out to hang out with them. It's adorable. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Ishii/Tanahashi was really loving great and Maru/SANADA is def worth catching. Good Block A show.

Tour resumes tomorrow with a Block B show at the normal weekday time of 5:30 EDT/ 10:30 BST Nothing in particular stands out as a dream match but the whole lineup looks really strong outside of the obligatory YTR match.

G1 Climax Night 11
Thursday August 4th
Fukuoka Civic Gym

Jushin Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask, and Captain New Japan vs. Ryusuke Taguchi, Juice Robinson, and David Finlay
Togi Makabe, Satoshi Kojima, and Manabu Nakanishi vs. Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Tama Tonga, and Yujiro Takahashi)
Hiroshi Tanahashi, Hiroyoshi Tenzan, and KUSHIDA, vs. Naomichi Marufuji, Hirooki Goto, and Gedo
CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada and Tomohiro Ishii) vs. L.I.J (SANADA and BUSHI)
G1 Climax Block B Match:Yuji Nagata [6] vs. Toru Yano [4]
G1 Climax Block B Match:Michael Elgin [6] vs. YOSHI-HASHI [6]
G1 Climax Block B Match:Tomoaki Honma [4] vs. EVIL [2]
G1 Climax Block B Match:Katsuyori Shibata [4] vs. Kenny Omega [6]
G1 Climax Block B Match:Katsuhiko Nakajima [6] vs. Tetsuya Naito [6]

• Locked thread