Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I get the feeling that Dr. Brown realizes who torched her house and is setting the two of them up so that she can get definitive proof and close the trap, and also that Lee didn't really steal anything and that the brooch was bait for Gamby to hang himself with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The broach definitely feels like something that's going to come up later and bite people in the rear end.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

sector_corrector posted:

I get the feeling that Dr. Brown realizes who torched her house and is setting the two of them up so that she can get definitive proof and close the trap, and also that Lee didn't really steal anything and that the brooch was bait for Gamby to hang himself with.

That's exactly what I thought as well. It's pretty obvious foreshadowing.

Lol who doesn't sell it?!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

This show is completely my jam. As other posters have said, that escalation in the house was fantastic. This show is deliciously dark and hosed up

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

i am the bird posted:

I guess I wasn't super clear but I've seen all their work and know their style (which is why I said I trusted them), but I'm just not digging the subtext of the show at the moment.

edit: oh, and I'm not saying it's a bad show or that the message is supposed to be racist/sexist or whatever, I'm just not following the dark humor of this show so far compared to their other work. It's only episode 2 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Not sure why you've watched any of their stuff, none of this seems for you. Perhaps give the Grey's Anatomy a go :v:

That switch from the brooch toss to the student driver taking 5 years to pull away was pretty great. Agree that it will turn up somewhere in the future.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
Episode 2 loving owned. Walton Goggins is a national treasure.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Loved this episode. McBride/Goggins/Hill were on Nerdist recently and McBride said about the show that you've seen the movie where the good teacher comes in and turns around the school a million times before, but you've never seen it told by the assholes who want to stop them. It's a good summation of the show and their comedy in general. In another movie Kenny Powers would be the villain.

They did also talk about tone, and how they don't really think about it, but did say that as the show went on it would get darker and more dramatic.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I watched the first two episodes back to back and loved it. The combination of comedy and horror is a perfect balance for me.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I never got into Eastbound and Down, but Walton Goggins has some ridiculous charisma going on. His feminine sashaying is hypnotic.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Watched last night's episode and wasn't as thrilled with it as the first two. Kind of a weird departure from the first two episodes and was disappointed in the lack of Groggins.

It's amazing how they're setting up McBride's character to fall hard though.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Gamby's right: a mudslide is not a drink, it's a dessert.

(Also, Ms Snodgrass is boring, Neal should have stayed with Ms Abbot. Think of all the turkey legs they could have eaten!)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

facebook jihad posted:

Watched last night's episode and wasn't as thrilled with it as the first two. Kind of a weird departure from the first two episodes and was disappointed in the lack of Groggins.

It's amazing how they're setting up McBride's character to fall hard though.

Yea, Russell is setting him up hard.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I like the subtle differences with Gamby and Kenny Powers. They seem similar on the surface but Gamby is way more of a controlling creepy weirdo, who constantly bends the rules but also manages to tell himself he's doing everything by the book.

Also really hoping they don't split Gamby & Russell up for too many episodes.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 1, 2016

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
The shredded-but-taped-together bank statement in Amanda's file had me laughing so hard. Russell is such a loving creep.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Parasol Prophet posted:

Also the drumline/marching band soundtrack is so good.

Check out Cassidy Byars on Spotify or at this site: http://www.freedrumlinemusic.com/ Those albums show up on my Spotify shuffle a lot and I'm pretty drat familiar with them, and I can confidently say that many of those tracks are used note for note in this show. They either got him involved in writing the soundtrack or they just straight up used that music and didn't pay him because, duh, FreeDrumlineMusic.com. As someone who has taught, played in, and written music for drumlines at all levels, I love these tracks; they're legitimately good and I have no idea why he'd give away the rights to them, but there ya go.

Anyway, that's my contribution. Check 'em out if you liked 'em in the show.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

timp posted:

They either got him involved in writing the soundtrack or they just straight up used that music and didn't pay him because, duh, FreeDrumlineMusic.com. As someone who has taught, played in, and written music for drumlines at all levels, I love these tracks; they're legitimately good and I have no idea why he'd give away the rights to them, but there ya go.
As someone who has taught, played in and written music for drumlines at all levels, have you never heard of licensing? Why are you assuming this TV show just ripped a dude's music off without paying him?

Also the credits song for the second episode was a Shawn Lee song (who's been doing breakbeat stuff since the 90s). I hadn't heard anything new by the guy for years but still recognized him immediately.

Also also I love the 80s synth stuff they work in as well, like the music that was playing this episode when Gamby gets hit with the meat.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 1, 2016

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Illinois Smith posted:

As someone who has taught, played in and written music for drumlines at all levels, have you never heard of licensing? Why are you assuming this TV show just ripped a dude's music off without paying him?

Because they're hosted on freedrumlinemusic.com?

Illinois Smith posted:

Also the credits song for the second episode was a Shawn Lee song (who's been doing breakbeat stuff since the 90s). I hadn't heard anything new by the guy for years but still recognized him immediately.

Also also I love the 80s synth stuff they work in as well, like the music that was playing this episode when Gamby gets hit with the meat.

I've also noticed that the riff in this song gets re-orchestrated and used as scene transition music during more serious moments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaalxPspSUQ

timp fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 1, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Like, the first post in that guy's Facebook ticker on the site is him linking to a commercial that used one of his pieces, do you think that oil company didn't have to pay him either? Because his domain name contains the word "free"?

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 1, 2016

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Illinois Smith posted:

Like, the first post in that guy's Facebook ticker on the site is him linking to a commercial that used one of his pieces, do you think that oil company didn't have to pay him either? Because his domain name contains the word "free"?

Who's 'that guy'? What Facebook ticker? What site? I'm not trying to get you all hot here but I have no idea what you're referencing. Are you friends with Cassidy Byars on Facebook or something? Did his music get used in a commercial for oil?

And fwiw I've known professional drumlines to use Byars's music without so much as an acknowledgement of its source, even in environments where they were being filmed and broadcast across national media. For years it's been the largest and best source of "stock" drumline music on Spotify and probably other music/social media sites as well. So yeah, I think it could have potentially happened.

I didn't realize this would be such a hot button issue for anyone in this thread!

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

timp posted:

Who's 'that guy'? What Facebook ticker? What site?
The guy you were talking about. The site that he operates that you linked. It has a Facebook ticker that shows his latest posts.

Using someone's sheet music in a drumline competition or whatever isn't the same thing as using a specific recording of it commercially.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Illinois Smith posted:

The guy you were talking about. The site that he operates that you linked. It has a Facebook ticker that shows his latest posts.

Using someone's sheet music in a drumline competition or whatever isn't the same thing as using a specific recording of it commercially.

I just came to tell everyone that, if they enjoyed the drumline music in this show, they can look up Cassidy Byars on Spotify and listen to it there, plus more. HBO probably did pay him for it but we have no real way of knowing from what I can tell. Are you satisfied with those two sentences?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
i liked the drumline arrangement of drop it like it's hot

now quit arguing you two jabronis

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I liked this episode a lot. I like how each episode so far has a slightly different tone and focus, but it's clearly building to further disaster and mayhem.

I noticed that McBride directed this episode and I liked the couple of visual montages (at the historical park and then at the hotel where they were running around looking for the missing students).

I thought the Ms. Abbott subplot was weak right up until the scene where Gamby returns back to his room and she's sitting there with the binder in her lap.

The final scene of everybody getting back on the bus was agonizingly good, so much tension from so many directions.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Just when you think you've seen every type of slap fight derail....out of nowhere comes drumline!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Drums are serious loving business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-yF1uaa5vA

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

That was some high quality HBO loving, and I should have probably been more careful about watching this at work.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

h_double posted:

I noticed that McBride directed this episode and I liked the couple of visual montages (at the historical park and then at the hotel where they were running around looking for the missing students).

I loved the shot where each person had a floor/hall and Gamby was riding the elevator surveying the whole place. It was also very Wes Anderson-y.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I love you too. Ms Abbott is crazy.

Poor Dr Brown :( but then she turned it around and annihilated that candy rear end school.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I loving love Dr. Brown's kids.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
gently caress. She learned their names.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
That was amazing, those last few mins of episode 4. It could have easily been a season finale they way they left it. It is going to be crazy watching them try to top this next week.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Last week was losing me because cringe is very much not my thing. I could recognize that it was done well, but I couldn't stand to watch it.

This week, however, was incredible. I loved the principal's faceturn, as well as (McBride's?) slow coming to realizations and sympathies.

This is a good show.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
The sign.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Man the music in this show is on point

During the principal's speech in particular

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dr. Brown taking the school to church during the prep rally was loving awesome.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

poo poo got straight up anime during that acid trip sequence. Probably my favorite ep so far.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
Really suprised this thread is so low-traffic.

Seen all 4 eps now and although 3 was a bit different I liked that it added some depth to Gamby and 4 added some depth to Brown. Looking forward to a Russell-focused episode.

I like the pacing so far. If every episode constantly upped the ante even they'd quickly run out of places to go.

edit: Oh yeah and the music is loving phenomenal. In Ep1 where Gamby thinks he got the principals job and slow-mo comes in to the office and sees the chair I knew I was hooked.

hottubrhymemachine fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 8, 2016

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.

hottubrhymemachine posted:

Looking forward to a Russell-focused episode.

So am I! But I'm affraid that this being McBride's cocreation it will not focus on Russell as much, unfortunately keeping him on the sidelines although he might be one of the most fascinating comedy characters since Arrested Development's Tobias and Gob.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
goggins is absolutely killing it, and that last episode was great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I hope the show is doing well enough for HBO. I absolutely love it.

• Locked thread