Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Problem description: So, I replaced my CPU, CPU cooler, motherboard, RAM, and PSU yesterday. Reinstalled windows 10 and everything else. Played a bit of Overwatch, and my PC rebooted. I was monitoring FPS at the time and since I had re-installed, my video settings were reset. VSync was off so I turned it back on (was running at almost 300 FPS) as I figured my GTX 970 overheated. No issues occurred after I made those changes. About an hour goes by, and my PC randomly reboots while I'm just surfing the internet.

Attempted fixes: Reseating RAM, double checked power connections, ran memtest86 (no errors).

Recent changes: As noted above, I replaced my CPU, RAM, Mobo, PSU, and CPU Cooler.

--

Operating system: e.g. Win10 64bit

System specs: i7 6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Impact m-ITX motherboard, G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3400 RAM, Corsair RM 850x PSU, Corsair H100i v2 CPU cooler, EVGA GTX 970 SC video card. Samsung EVO 850 500gb drive for OS and games, WD Red 2TB drive for movies, backups, etc.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

At work currently, but I wanted a 2nd/3rd/4th opinion on this. GPU worked fine in previous PC build. Thinking I may need to reapply thermal paste for the CPU, as I had to re-seat the 100i twice so there may be a poor application of paste on the CPU. Memtest came back clean so the RAM should be fine. PC just suddenly black screens and reboots as if I had his the reset button. Checked the system logs and it just gives me the standard kernel_power error, but nothing else of note. I suppose it could be the power supply too? Really doubting the GPU is an issue considering it worked just fine prior to the re-build. Thoughts on things to try?

Update: Applied some new thermal paste. Tried doing a Prime95 test to burn it and the PC shuts down once the CPU hits around 65c. Anyone have any thoughts here?

Update 2: Tried taking our 1 stick of RAM and re-running prime to make sure the blend test wasn't catching faulty ram. Tried each stick by itself. Still shut off after a few minutes.

CPU-Z Validated Link: http://valid.x86.fr/juvil3

Update 3: Used Intel diagnostic Tool to test my CPU and it passed. Starting to think it's either both sticks of RAM being bad or my PSU.

whatspeakyou fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Two initial things to check.

Make sure you're using the latest motherboard BIOS:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-IMPACT/HelpDesk_Download/

Check HD health using portable zip edition of CDI:
http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Updated the BIOS and it happened once after that, but it has been two days now and nothing but stable. I wonder if it was a combination of CPU heat due to the poor application (and then initial re-application) of thermal paste and old BIOS? Will continue to monitor.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The general threshold is two weeks of stability to be sure the issue has been resolved.

• Locked thread