Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
RIP Ota haha. All this work for some fish!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mentat Radnor posted:

RIP Ota haha. All this work for some fish!

Good Riddance IMO

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

That was a very good "SHUUDAAAP!" Kanuka, thank you for maintaining order.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

That was some sweet wailing guitar on the outro, I need to look up who did the soundtrack. Starting ep 4 now.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'm starting late due to OPs and dinner, but it's Patlabor time!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I really do like this OP.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ahahaha, Shinobu's still great. "So what's the call?" "....Kaiju Control, apparently." "Oh. Glad my unit's off today! :smug:"

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
606 weeding time, lol

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Whoa, the soundtrack was done by Kenji Kawai, who went on to compose music for Ghost in the Shell, Barakamon, and currently airing Mob Psycho 100, among like a hundred other things. Looks like Patlabor was one of his first gigs too, really cool.

Pumped for this kaiju episode.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

God Ota is so loving bad at his job...:argh:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
episode 3 was fantastic!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
though Noa's pose here is super awkward

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Oh of course, just a medical lab in the mountains making ten-meter-tall bearcat monsters, regular stuff. I love how not serious this show is.

Spiritus Nox posted:

God Ota is so loving bad at his job...:argh:

He sure is an idiot.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

Ahahaha, Shinobu's still great. "So what's the call?" "....Kaiju Control, apparently." "Oh. Glad my unit's off today! :smug:"

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

:3: A good episode

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
It's a good OP but I'll always love the Early Days one more I think

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Kaiju episode was alright, but very silly. I want to strangle Ota.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I probably won't have a chance to figure it out by Friday, but I think I might try to set up a stream for next week on.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
This guy at the start of ep4 is extremely dorky

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

:mad:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

So with episode 3 what I would call the introductory episodes are now over. Episode 1 introduced most of the cast, 2 introduced Kanuka and assigned everyone their roles, and 3 introduced the supporting cast and the status quo at SV2. Most of the episodes going forward are going to be similar to episode 4, where our heroes have a (mostly) episodic and comedic misadventure, although they won't all involve kaijuu obviously.

One of the reasons I prefer the tv continuity to the other one is that it, due to its length, allows the characters (most notably Noa) to go through arcs and develop over time. One of Noa's main arcs have already begun, see if you can spot it!

As a fun little continuity error, in episode 3 they said that Ota had customized Unit 2's head, which is why it looks different, but it had that head even before it was assigned to him.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I haven't been able to watch last night's episodes yet but apparently there is gonna be another reboot

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Dangerous Person posted:

I haven't been able to watch last night's episodes yet but apparently there is gonna be another reboot

It's a ten-minute animator expo sketch.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Once again Kotaku is bad at what they do

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Won't be able to make the Simulwatch today, I'm afraid. Have fun, folks.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Simul starts in 27 minutes

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

5 minutes now

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I'm late but starting now.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

That poor couple at the beginning didn't get to smooch!

Lots of good mecha combat this episode. I like the JSDF labor pilots' goggles.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Foreign Minister Krause is such a good minor comedy character. "Oh no! Help! Help me pureeze!" followed by:

I like seeing the development of Noa learning fine control of Alphonse's fingers for fun, and then having to use those skills to save lives. Of course we have to be shown the inverse of her skill in Ota's facepalm-inducing incompetence . . . how strong must the police union be in Patlabor-verse that he hasn't been fired like ten times already?

Good episodes as usual. I think next Friday will be where I start to see new-to-me episodes, looking forward to it.

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 30, 2016

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Mentat Radnor posted:

Foreign Minister Krause is such a good minor comedy character. "Oh no! Help! Help me pureeze!" followed by:

I like seeing the development of Noa learning fine control of Alphonse's fingers for fun, and then having to use those skills to save lives. Of course we have to be shown the inverse of her skill in Ota's facepalm-inducing incompetence . . . how strong must the police union be in Patlabor-verse that he hasn't been fired like ten times already?

Good episodes as usual. I think next Friday will be where I start to see new-to-me episodes, looking forward to it.

I thought you said you had seen up to and including 12? If so new ones for you won't dtart until week 3

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Droyer posted:

I thought you said you had seen up to and including 12? If so new ones for you won't start until week 3

I must have misremembered because I looked at the episode list on wikipedia and episode 10 was actually the furthest that I got!

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 30, 2016

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It's Patlabor time! For me!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I love the stereotypical 80s lovers.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
so mean to Hiromi-chan! Don't bully!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I hate the stylized numeral '2' they use.

e: this thing

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 30, 2016

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Bunch o' policemen standing around, :toot:ing their whistles. No traffic, no civilians, just other policemen standing around.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Wasn't there an OVA episode that was pretty much this?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Wasn't there an OVA episode that was pretty much this?

There was the first movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Droyer posted:

There was the first movie.

All I really remember from that is the climax, with the collapsing sea tower thing. That was badass.

• Locked thread