Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Droyer posted:

Episode 22: Silly Patlabor at its best. A great spoof of yakuza movies, and Kanuka beating everyone with a wooden sword is fantastic.

Don't forget about Noa flipping the gently caress out all over the Yakuza labors. :allears:

Edit: Quoting the stream link since I page-sniped it.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

PATLABOR
PATLABOR
PATLABOR

https://cytu.be/r/Super_Idol_Time

TONIGHT
TONIGHT
TONIGHT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I love the boss guy.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Good.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
what a fun episode :)

:stwoon: + :3:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I really enjoyed the parts of ep23 that weren't a clipshow

https://a.pomf.cat/vgpnef.webm

Kanuka~ :3:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
23 & 24, goodbye to Kanuka :(

I imagine we'll see her again at some point, if nothing else for the climax, but she'll be missed in the interim.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Kanukaaaa~ :gbsmith: I hope she's back soon

What a good farewell episode, love the gang disturbing people at the airport :3:

I'm uh, not sure a plane would just take off after something like that though lol

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I had the same thought

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

See you space cowboy...

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I love the boss guy from ep 22,

and I love how they did his lines,

and I love his stylin' pilot outfit.

https://jii.moe/NkaXIlmqb.webm

he's so goofy :3:

https://jii.moe/VJ2ELgQcW.webm

Noa :swoon:

actually, let's just do that whole scene:

https://jii.moe/EJlcIxm9b.webm

and then the glorious finale:

https://jii.moe/VJPuUxXcZ.webm

https://jii.moe/4kzKLeQ5b.webm

Noa :swoon:

https://jii.moe/EJu28lXc-.webm

It really was such a fantastic episode.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Best part of the whole episode. Might be the most thorough asskicking Noa's ever dished out. :swoon:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It's possible I might pass out from not-enough-sleep-itis, but if I don't, I'll be streaming: https://cytu.be/r/Super_Idol_Time

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I finally had time to start catching up again, just finished the kaiju/dragon episode which was :krad:. Gonna keep watching Patlabor all evening, so I'll hop on your stream if that happens.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'm feeling pretty good and awake, so yes, stream is happening in ~15 minutes.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Good episodes tonight. Took me a bit to realise that the new lady was a permanent addition. She seems cool, if a bit close to just being another Kanuka at a glance. Looking forward to seeing more of her.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Good episodes. Good to see Shinshi get some development - I think we might remember his name now. I like Kuma-whatsit Takeo, she seems neat.

A thing I noticed, from the thread OP and ep 26's eyecatch, respectively:

A new friend? A new foe? A dude? A lady? Who knows!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Good episodes. Good to see Shinshi get some development - I think we might remember his name now. I like Kuma-whatsit Takeo, she seems neat.

They appear to have prominent eyelashes - ergo I feel fairly confident predicting that this person will be revealed to be a lady.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

PATLABOR
PATLABOR
PATLABOR

https://cytu.be/r/Super_Idol_Time

TONIGHT
TONIGHT
TONIGHT

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Oh dear I seem to have fallen behind again. Oh well.

Episode 23: It's a recap episode. Unfortunate, but not unexpected considering the length of the show and when it was made. However, the non-recap parts have some very funny moments, and end on a sweet note as Kanuka prepares for her departure.

Episode 24: As befitting of her final episode, an episode all about Kanuka. She essentially solved this entire incident by herself (even if Noa helped a little, admittedly). A fine farewell for a good character, and just as she said at the very end: She will be back.

Episode 25: This episode is very clever, using the gap Kanuka left behind to not only show how crippled Division 2 is without her, but also to use that to have an episode focused on Shinshi. This episode is very similar to Ohta's focus episode some time back, examining why Shinshi chose to be a police officer while also having some fun jokes. I will say though I don't like Shinshi's wife much as a character. She's a stereotypical housewife and that's all there is to her.

Episode 26:Enter Takeo Kumagami! Much like the previous episode, this episode is clever in how it has a dual purpose: It not only introduces a new character, but also uses that as an opportunity to return to a recurring plot point: Noa's feelings of insecurity. What you may not have noticed is how Noa started playing basketball while she was troubled this episode. Basketball has at several points in the show so far been a metaphor for Noa's insecurity, and it will continue to be so going forward. Keep a lookout for it!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

It's change list time again!

Noa is the new kid of Division 2, rather than Division 2 being newly formed.
Both Ingram 1 and 2 have slightly different designs, mostly related to their colors. The tip of the "ear" and antenna on Alphonse is a creamy yellow, and black on unit 2. Unit 2 also has black around its forehead camera. In the other continuity both the ear and antenna were gray on both, and Unit 2's head was all white.
Captain Shinobu Nagumo has brown hair rather than dark blue/black.
The Ingram is now merely the latest in Labors built specifically for police work, preceded by the AV-97 Python, rather than the first one.
The Brocken has a different color scheme, it is now bluish gray rather than red.
Beam weapons exist. WE GUNDAM NOW!
Unit 3's head looks completely different (or as completely different as an Ingram can) and it doesn't have an EMP ability.
Takeo Kumagawa exists.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Strong episodes tonight. Kumegawa got some quick fleshing out in the first episode, then the second introduced us to what appears to be a Rival Character, of all things - not quite what I expected from Patlabor, but exciting nonetheless. Looking forward to what looks to be a showdown on Friday!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
A cool spooky episode, and a setup episode! We've met our mysterious new character:

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I mentioned during the stream that ep 27 seemed to have notably different direction than Patlabor TV's generally had; let's see. It was directed by Kazanori Ito, who helped us say Goodbye to Kauka and seems to be in charge of most of the serious episodes - that is to say, all of the Shaft episodes - and the introductory pair of episodes. This makes sense, since he's the writer! I guess what I was detecting was his more serious, less comedic style, which was quite striking when applied to horror.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The most notable part of 28 to me was the hot date that Noa and Asuma went on. An arcade date. Smooth.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I'm catching up on a few episodes, and 21 retroactively ruined Ota forever.

I cannot stand anyone who audibly grinds their teeth in their sleep.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

They appear to have prominent eyelashes - ergo I feel fairly confident predicting that this person will be revealed to be a lady.

Let's all take a moment to appreciate how very wrong Nox was.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Let's all take a moment to appreciate how very wrong Nox was.

No, shut up, he's still pretty femmy okay it's a reasonable mistake :argh:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, welcome one and all to Yes_Cantaloupe's House of Streaming, tonight only* at 7:00 pm CDT!

* not actually tonight only

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Won't make it tonight, I'm afraid. Sister's birthday today. Will catch up tomorrow!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Episode 27: While I wouldn't call it scary, I do think the visuals and sounds of this episode do a good job of emulating a horror movie "feel", if that makes sense. I also think the way that the ghosts made absolutely no sound at all was really neat. This episode also does a good job fleshing Kumagami out a bit, after how perfect she seemed last episode. Asuma asking Noa on a date was cute.

Episode 28: In the final Phantom episode Kurosaki mentioned he had a boss that reminded him of Goto. Now we finally meet him. Utsumi has been the mastermind of both of the Phantom arcs, and possibly even when Division 1 was offered the Saturn, so long ago. This episode is also an interesting point in Noa's development. She intentionally let Alphonse get hurt in order to lure the Saturn into a trap, which contrasts heavily with how she acted at the beginning of the series. This episode also introduces the best robot in the Patlabor franchise, the Griffin, but I'll talk more about it after we see it in action.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

It's change list time again!

Noa is the new kid of Division 2, rather than Division 2 being newly formed.
Both Ingram 1 and 2 have slightly different designs, mostly related to their colors. The tip of the "ear" and antenna on Alphonse is a creamy yellow, and black on unit 2. Unit 2 also has black around its forehead camera. In the other continuity both the ear and antenna were gray on both, and Unit 2's head was all white.
Captain Shinobu Nagumo has brown hair rather than dark blue/black.
The Ingram is now merely the latest in Labors built specifically for police work, preceded by the AV-97 Python, rather than the first one.
The Brocken has a different color scheme, it is now bluish gray rather than red.
Beam weapons exist. WE GUNDAM NOW!
Unit 3's head looks completely different (or as completely different as an Ingram can) and it doesn't have an EMP ability.
Takeo Kumagawa exists.
GHOSTS ARE REAL

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: Don't miss that we're watching three episodes tonight! :siren:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Good episodes! I really liked the chill disaster of episode 29, and the setup serious episode 30 was perhaps my favorite serious ep. The poo poo-going-down of 31 was all the better for the subtlety of 30.

dang, I thought I'd remembered some good moments to screencap, but there's nothing notable at the times I remembered. Nuts.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Catching up!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

All caught up. Excellent set of episodes. Griffon's a helluva mech design, I like it a lot. The preview for the next episode got a chuckle out of me, too.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Episode 29: A brief respite until we get into the Serious Episodes. I really enjoy Kumagami's overly dramatic narration of the very silly things happening on screen.

Episode 30: We finally get to see the Griffin in action, even if it's cloaked in shadow. I remember during the first Phantom arc Spiritus Nox how well they demonstrated how superior military labors were to the police's Ingram. These very same labors were completely clowned in this episode, which sets the Griffin up as a serious threat really well. The drama with a potential replacement for the Ingram (and Python) is also really well done. A nice detail is that in the episode before last Utsumi mentioned it would be 2 weeks until the Griffin was finished, and with the show originally airing weekly that's true both irl and in the show. The show did something similar with Kanuka, she said she'd be around for half a year and she left in episode 24.

Episode 31: After 2 episodes of mostly buildup, more than any other episode has had so far, poo poo finally hits the fan. Unit 2 and the economy model get completely wrecked, Kumagami gets shot(!!!) and Noa has no choice but to watch on without being able to do anything. This is by far the worst loss the SV2 has ever suffered. Both the drama and the action in this episode are top notch, and there's more to come as this arc continues!

Finally, let me talk a little bit about the Griffin itself. Most of the labors in this show are what I would call ugly in a good way. They're construction or farming equipment, and they really look the part. The Griffin on the other hand is sleek and menacing, it wouldn't look out of place in a Gundam series, if only it were bigger. It's like nothing anyone has ever seen before, and I love how its visual design reinforces that.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Now that we're far enough out that I'm probably not spoiling this for anyone catching up, I have to mention, the directing was in particularly fine form in episode 31. The highlight was easily the Griffon taking flight - Flight, or at least rocket-assisted super jumps, are usually seen as a really mundane mecha ability, but between how well Patlabor...er...grounds its robots and the way there's the slow build from the Griffon's wings deploying, through the slow rev of its vernier, to the roar as it lifted off, that typically mundane mecha-power suddenly became almost terrifying.

Also - am I the only one who thinks that the Griffon looks sort of like Master Gundam?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Now that we're far enough out that I'm probably not spoiling this for anyone catching up, I have to mention, the directing was in particularly fine form in episode 31. The highlight was easily the Griffon taking flight - Flight, or at least rocket-assisted super jumps, are usually seen as a really mundane mecha ability, but between how well Patlabor...er...grounds its robots and the way there's the slow build from the Griffon's wings deploying, through the slow rev of its vernier, to the roar as it lifted off, that typically mundane mecha-power suddenly became almost terrifying.

Also - am I the only one who thinks that the Griffon looks sort of like Master Gundam?

I mean it's mostly black with a pair of wings, but that's kinda where the similarities end. Also it's worth noting the Griffin came before the Master Gundam. Patlabor TV started in 89, G Gundam in 94.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpr460TaMrA

but with streaming instead of dreaming

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
also with robots instead of cute outfits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Good episodes tonight. First ep was a good cool-down from the disaster in episode 31, and then 33 provided good buildup to the next showdown. It's really cool watching Noa in these episodes. She's as focused and determined as she's been yet, and it's shoring up her badass credentials in a really satisfying way - and in a way that doesn't really mitigate the more fun and free-spirited aspects of her character the way other shows might. Very satisfying to watch, looking forward to the rumble on Wednesday.

• Locked thread