Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

The Bananana posted:

while apologizing profusely to my team
Not to say don't apologize, but one lesson you should pick up from this experience is talk less and shut up more. If you need to apologize, do, but don't make it profuse, just put the pieces back together and move on.

I would not get into the details about your weaknesses to the people you are supposed to be managing. You can have weaknesses, they can know your weaknesses, you can cop to your weaknesses, but they don't need a monologue about how lame you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Profusely might have been hyperbole

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
I've seen this happen a lot with technical people going into management and many of them lost their jobs because they couldn't adapt, or had to take a demotion. You need a baseline of trust, and trust doesn't mean exactly the same thing as you'd use it in conversation. Something more along the lines of making it clear you're all on the same team, getting across to your employees what you're going to do for them (provide what's needed and clear roadblocks, interface with annoying people so that they do not have to), and what you expect from them (to deliver defined things by a defined time, with the understanding that if things go wrong both of you have to be upfront with what's going on and how to resolve it).

So whoever said sitting down with each team member and going over expectations for both sides is a good idea. However, you need to have reasonable expectations and the general impression from your posting is that you're in panic mode, like, a lot of the time, which might lead you to have hosed up expectations.

• Locked thread