Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Do you remember 9/9/99? The launch of the console that was going to start a new chapter in the console wars? No? Well, here's a little bit about the Dreamcast, or the little white box that kind of could be never really did.

Launched in 1999 in the US (and like a year earlier in Japan or something, back in those days the most accurate source of information for video games was still print media) the Dreamcast was a revolutionary new console that promised to put Sega back on top and show those upstarts at Sony that it was time to get out of the console biz and leave it to the experts.

The controller

Sega knocked it out of the loving park with this. The position of the analog stick and D-pad was perfect compared to that monstrosity that was the N64 controller. Next up you see the basic 4 buttons arranged in a diamond shape like all controllers do nowadays, but the best was the spring loaded trigger buttons on the back shoulders. Basically everything good about this controller became industry standard for the most part.

The VMU(virtual memory unit)

Tamagotchis and Gigapets were the biggest thing ever in the mid-late 90s so Sega knew they needed a piece of that. This memory store device came with buttons and a LCD screen and the promise that you could play mini-games on the unit, and then transfer the bonuses into the console game. Short battery life though.

The games

At the time there was nothing like the Dreamcast library. It was a mix of crazy and inventive titles that no other console could match. Here are just some of the greats

Tech Romancer: Anime-mechs Streetfighter with interesting story modes for each characters and tons of nods to classic mecha anime
Power Stone: Anime Smash Bros with crazy elaborate changing stages, hundreds of unique items for combat, and a super cool "power-up" feature like the Smash Ball
Crazy Taxi: Start of the franchise, you're a taxi driver and you have to get crazy to pick up and drop people off in time. Great iconic soundtrack with tracks by Bad Religion and Offspring.
Evolution: Unique take on the JRPG genre of the time that played as more of a randomized dungeon crawler.
Grandia 2: One of the era's JRPG greats with a fantastic battle system that has never been topped.
Jet Grind Radio: Rollerblading and street-tagging in a weird almost dystopian Japan

The Dreamcast barely lasted 2 years, signaled the end of Sega as a console company, and is fondly remembered by millions who either bought the hype and then bought the console or who's parents bought them one instead of a PS2 because it was cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Trolling people in Online Football Game using the name "assmaster" provided many a great drunken night for my friend and I.

RIP best system ever. RIP Skies of Arcadia. RIP people burning every NES and SNES game onto a single disc with emulators and playing them easy peasy. :(

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

And you could play Soul Calibur with a fishing rod.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

God's own console.

Resident Evil: Code Veronica was good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Megadyptes posted:

And you could play Soul Calibur with a fishing rod.

It's amazing how fast that franchise poo poo the bed after the DC failed. Used to be the best fighting game ever, last like 4 entries were garbage tier.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Not having EA's support really hurt. Also piracy going from impossible because of the GDR discs to stupidly easy didn't help either.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

precision posted:

It's amazing how fast that franchise poo poo the bed after the DC failed. Used to be the best fighting game ever, last like 4 entries were garbage tier.

Culling the characters people liked for more youthful clones aside, SC5 was pretty good. 4 sucked and that F2P single player game was just..bleh, though.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Favorite console byfar.

Reminder that Shenmue 3 is happening.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

man nurse posted:

Favorite console byfar.

Reminder that Shenmue 3 is happening.

My local Gamestop at the time actually had one of those "totally legal we swear copy of Shenmue 2 with a boot disk" packages.

Too bad I lost it in a move, game was super sweet. 3 gonna be awesome.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I wasn't trying to say in the Steam thread that the Dreamcast was a piece of poo poo with no good games, just that nothing about it was good enough. Sega, as a business and a developer and everything else, only excelled as second place to Nintendo, and as soon as the Nintendo dropped down a spot when the PS1 hit the scene, Sega was pushed off the edge, not even able to carry a decent third place.

Now, I'd pick up an SNES over a Genesis any day, but even so, afterwards between the PS1, the N64, the GameCube, the Xbox, and the PS2, there was never much good reason to pick up a Sega console instead, even when compared to the generation before. That doesn't mean the Dreamcast was bad per say but it all depends on how you look at it.

Jet Grind Radio loving sucked though. But I could just be saying that because JSRF is one of my all time favorite games and I feel like JGR is worse in every aspect.

pentyne posted:

The VMU(virtual memory unit)

Tamagotchis and Gigapets were the biggest thing ever in the mid-late 90s so Sega knew they needed a piece of that. This memory store device came with buttons and a LCD screen and the promise that you could play mini-games on the unit, and then transfer the bonuses into the console game. Short battery life though.

I had one of these, and when used with Shadowman it displayed a really creepy teddy bear that I think was the hero's brother's or something.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

WickedHate posted:

Jet Grind Radio loving sucked though.

Actually it's fuckin rad.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

WickedHate posted:

I had one of these, and when used with Shadowman it displayed a really creepy teddy bear that I think was the hero's brother's or something.

You could download "hacks" from websites that let you play lovely animated gifs on it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

man nurse posted:

Actually it's fuckin rad.

Yeah what the hell, that game was the bee's tits.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

WickedHate posted:

I wasn't trying to say in the Steam thread that the Dreamcast was a piece of poo poo with no good games, just that nothing about it was good enough. Sega, as a business and a developer and everything else, only excelled as second place to Nintendo, and as soon as the Nintendo dropped down a spot when the PS1 hit the scene, Sega was pushed off the edge, not even able to carry a decent third place.

Now, I'd pick up an SNES over a Genesis any day, but even so, afterwards between the PS1, the N64, the GameCube, the Xbox, and the PS2, there was never much good reason to pick up a Sega console instead, even when compared to the generation before. That doesn't mean the Dreamcast was bad per say but it all depends on how you look at it.

Jet Grind Radio loving sucked though. But I could just be saying that because JSRF is one of my all time favorite games and I feel like JGR is worse in every aspect.

you know, you should have just left your poo poo posting in the Steam thread. You are wrong. dead wrong. There is no "place" for good.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

precision posted:

My local Gamestop at the time actually had one of those "totally legal we swear copy of Shenmue 2 with a boot disk" packages.

Too bad I lost it in a move, game was super sweet. 3 gonna be awesome.

During the system's final days, the Software Etc. I went to had a shelf of regular North American DC games at clearance prices with a European Shenmue 2 in the middle priced at sixty bucks. I don't know if they included a shady boot disc with it or not.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

The new Berserk game coming out made me think of Sword of the Berserk: Guts Rage for like two seconds, insanely enough that title was much shorter than the Japanese version it, Berserk Millennium Falcon Arc: Chapter of the Flowers of Oblivion.

As someone who played the hell out the Genesis during the 16-bit days, it's comforting to know that Sega left the console game with a truly dope system instead of the disappointment that was the CD/32x/Saturn clusterfuck.

rip, mourn you till i join you, dreamcast

Sivek fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 19, 2016

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
I'll always remember the dreamcast for Phantasy Star Online.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CowboyAndy posted:

I'll always remember the dreamcast for Phantasy Star Online.

I've never gotten into any kind of MMO but fuuuuuuuuuuck the 300 hours I clocked in that game.

Especially since those 300 hours were only over the course of less than 60 days.

RIP Mina the HuNewearl, and also Isis the Human Mage that I used an absurd level companion devil thing and that one giant fuckoff Scythe weapon to make her a better Hunter than actual Hunters :smug:

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I snatched some of my favorite games out of the bargain bin at Funcoland at the end of the Dreamcast lifespan. Fatal Fury: MOTW, Wetrix, Gigawing 2

gently caress Gigawing was awesome

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
What the hell was that weird heist/sneaking JRPG that came out for the Dreamcast? Industrial Spy: Operation Espionage? I never figured out how to play that poo poo.

Also I always wished Time Stalkers or Evolution had kickstarter/legitimate remakes. I enjoyed the prior's weird everything in time thrown together plot and latter's archeology to save yourself from debt/build up a reputation play I've rarely seen since.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
My favorite system, hands down. I still have it, as well as that huge arcade joystick. Played a lot of fighting games using that beast. Soul Calibur, KoF.... 4 player mode in Marvel vs Capcom rocked.
Toy Commander was fun as hell, too. Not a game you'd imagine a group of marines having deathmatches on.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
I still have my Dreamcast in storage somewhere - I should dig it out...

I keep telling myself that someday, someday, I'll do a Lets Play of Tech Romancer. Tech Romancer was the entire reason I bought a Dreamcast after playing it in an arcade in Montreal ages ago.

I never did get good at the game - I just got good at rushing down the AI and abusing knockdown moves, which is basically the best/safest way to take down both of Goldibus's forms at the end.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

So what game series of note that started on the Dreamcast and are still continuing in some fashion? Like Phantasy Star Online is still kicking around, and Shenmue is going to be the Bartolo Colon of Dremcast era games and never go away, but what others are there? I'm sure something like chu chu rocket has a mobile game of some sort. Skies of Arcadia seems like one of those games ripe for a kickstarter. I can't remember if the main director on it is still doing games, but do know that he was the main lead on the first Valkyria Chronicles, which was really good. Looks like he most recently served as a senior director on PSO2, so I guess he still works for Sega.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 19, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Powerstone sort of?

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009
Sega bass fishing was rad as f.
I could never beat the third level of Ecco as a kid. gently caress that turtle.
I also played the poo poo out of Space Channel 5.

Good times.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Sivek posted:

So what game series of note that started on the Dreamcast and are still continuing in some fashion? Like Phantasy Star Online is still kicking around, and Shenmue is going to be the Bartolo Colon of Dremcast era games and never go away, but what others are there? I'm sure something like chu chu rocket has a mobile game of some sort. Skies of Arcadia seems like one of those games ripe for a kickstarter. I can't remember if the main director on it is still doing games, but do know that he was the main lead on the first Valkyria Chronicles, which was really good. Looks like he most recently served as a senior director on PSO2, so I guess he still works for Sega.
The NBA 2K series. That's all I can think of.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Android port of Chu Chu Rocket is great and you should buy it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I am constantly on the fence whether or not I should rebuy a Dreamcast solely due to the perfect port of Marvel vs Capcom 2.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

punk rebel ecks posted:

I am constantly on the fence whether or not I should rebuy a Dreamcast solely due to the perfect port of Marvel vs Capcom 2.

Also Rival Schools, the best 2D fighting game ever.

edit: Rival Schools 2 that is, Project Justice. My memory ain't for poo poo :sweatdrop:

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

precision posted:

Also Rival Schools, the best 2D fighting game ever.

you mean 3D eh?
The Japanese version came with a boardgame mode which I used to p[lay the gently caress out of.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

punk rebel ecks posted:

Good luck finding a copy that won't cost you an arm and a leg.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

eric posted:

Not having EA's support really hurt. Also piracy going from impossible because of the GDR discs to stupidly easy didn't help either.

i really want to know more about the dreamcast exploit like in depth but i cant find anything on the internet besides 'hackers found a way to get past the copy protection in the bios! oh wow!'

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Accordion Man posted:

Good luck finding a copy that won't cost you an arm and a leg.

"Find"?

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

nigga crab pollock posted:

i really want to know more about the dreamcast exploit like in depth but i cant find anything on the internet besides 'hackers found a way to get past the copy protection in the bios! oh wow!'

You always had to buy a chip to mod your PS1 to play copied games, so it always took some effort to become a console pirate. With the Dreamcast you did not need to hard mod anything, as long as the game was copied right you could copy any game you wanted. While Sega certainly didn't do everything right with the Dreamcast, piracy really helped to kill it fast. The ease of piracy meant that developers started flocking to the upcoming Xbox and PS2.

These guys go into the technical side http://wololo.net/2012/11/12/sega-dreamcast-how-its-security-works-and-how-it-was-hacked/
https://medium.com/@michaelgapper/land-of-the-free-467f0eb2f395#.tzz1ket4l

WickedHate posted:

Do you know how games and sequels evolve or are you just trolling.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Sivek posted:

Saturn clusterfuck.

I respectfully disagree, the Saturn had a crazy good library if you count imports. Still pretty decent even if you don't.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I hadn't played console games for basically all of middle and high school and got back into it with the Dreamcast. Also, I played some of my first games in Japanese on it, especially Shenmue (which has a useful kids' mode with simplified text) and Sakura Taisen 3, with timed responses that forced me to read and understand fast. For those and other reasons, the Dreamcast has a special place in my heart.

Also my brother borrowed the shirt I got with it at launch and then lost it and I will never forgive him.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

precision posted:

The Android port of Chu Chu Rocket is great and you should buy it.

I don't think it's available anymore, but maybe that only applies to the iOS version.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

About six month after the Dreamcast died, there was an enormous bin in a local games shop where everything was £2.

I got about 30 games in one haul. A lot of it was a bit crap: Hidden & Dangerous, 4x4 Evolution, Toy Story 2, Toy Racers, Fur Fighters, GTA2 and so on... But mixed in with those were Bangai-O, Capcom vs SNK, Giga Wing, Grandia II, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. The weekend after that me and a bunch of friends got in a load of booze and spent the weekend playing through any random game we'd pick out of the pile. Happy days.

Then I went on holiday to New York and managed to grab Cosmic Smash, Seaman, Cool Cool Toon and EGG for a song.

Best console ever imho - the graphics were so impressive for the time. You constantly felt like it was punching above its weight.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Guilty Gear X on a VGA box was loving mind-blowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Dreamcast owns. Since I didn't have a PC that could run Diablo 2 at the time, PSO was really my first introduction to the amazingly addictive world of ARPGs, the finest of all game genres. I put maybe 500 hours onto my little HUnewearl between the base game, Ver. 2 and the later GCN rereleases. I ran a MAG leveling service for trades and had an impossibly good Twin Brand with something like 55% hit, which at the time was the most important thing for HUnies because of their poor ATA. Of course it was hard to play legit back in the day because PSO was so easy to hack and every public game became a Spread Needle fest within weeks.

My fondest memory was when our family moved halfway across the country but I was still accidentally using the same local number to connect to the internet. So in July of 2001 I ran up a $500 phone bill. Mom was very understanding.

• Locked thread