Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Sorry about your twitter drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

as a straight man, i can only guess. but i would assume that gay people dont exactly like having their sexuality compared to 420blazeitmang stoners and probably dont see them as on the same "level" if you get me

Pretty much. You're sort of a dick, OP.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

staberind posted:

Does he have anything to do with that pizza chain his name almost looks like?

cos i think pizza chains would be all over the decriminisation of weed, if you, uh, catch my drift.

No they left the empire to their daughter Pizzarina.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

objects in mirror posted:

It is quite frankly fair to say that more suffering over the past 40 years has been inflicted on Americans because of marijuana prohibition than because of anti-gay agitation.

Not many folks have been beaten or killed for blazing up.

I like pot as much as anyone, but you idiots give stoners a bad name.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

It's a matter of numbers.

700k peope are arrested every year for pot possession. How many gay people are arrested for being gay (I'm talking in the West here, not in Afghanistan.)

Yet because America's rich elites all knew someone who was gay or had a gay family member, of course gay rights (and gay marriage) were prioritized by "liberals" whereas marijuana prohibition whose enforcement mainly affects the lower classes is not taken up as eagerly by the media and celebrities as a cause.

Fact: More humans have a need to alter their consciousness via intoxicants than have homosexual impulses.

Let's admit it: The prioritization of lgbt rights was significantly a matter of catering to elite interests. If the elites signaled they weren't down with the cause, then gay rights wouldn't have progressed.

Fun fact: equal human rights don't include the right to smoke a bowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

If society totally ignored gay issues but instead addressed marijuana prohibition, more total societal suffering could have been prevented as a greater number of people were targeted/arrested/killed cause of weed prohibition than cause of being gay (in the usa). You cannot argue with this logic.

Counterpoint:

Like it or not, it's impossible to argue that the spread of AIDS wasn't driven primarily because of the casual sex mentality of gay men. If it weren't for this unprecedented spread, it wouldn't have become the clause du jour. Nor would it have gotten the research that it received. While there is still no cure, the speed of advances in medicine for a disease in the time frame they were made in have never been matched in medical history.

Consequently, testing for the disease wouldn't be so prevalent, allowing for the infection of many, many more people. Without the aforementioned medical advances, it would still be a death sentence.

Edit: before anyone says that AIDS research isn't a gay rights issue, they're ignorant of the societal attitude towards the disease throughout the 80's.

criscodisco fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jul 19, 2016

• Locked thread