Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Make up your mind!

I'm definitely more in favor of using the Grant to get easier access to Africa and SA, but I'll back your play if you want me to clear Baghdad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Check my edit, you can get to Baghdad in 3, cure on 4 if you want by going through Miami.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 22, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Okay, that works.

1. NY -> WA
2. WA - > MIA
3. MIA - > BAG
4. Treat BAG

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

And yeah, Lagos looks good for a station.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Let's do it.

#Government Grant a station in Lagos

Now we just need one in Europe and we're pretty good for coverage.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
You guys do that, I'll just draw Some Numbers cards here and...

Hey! Things are getting interesting! :siren:Delhi gets three disease cubes:siren:

Now we're in a hurry. S.N., do you want to play One Quiet Night in response?

The other card is San Francisco (Blue), but who cares about that.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I think I might want to save One Quiet Night for when we know something bad is coming?

If you guys want me to blow it now, I will.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I don't know if it would be a good idea or not, I really haven't played this game too much.

We still good with the plan for me to go to Delhi and take the fourth red card from Berenzen, or are there higher priorities? I could treat in Delhi and he could give me the card, I can't cure this turn anyway.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Jedit posted:

I don't know if it would be a good idea or not, I really haven't played this game too much.

I'm pausing here because a) I'm not at home and b) because the Epidemic card is an unexpected event, and the next card I draw from the infection deck may cause an outbreak. It would be very bad manners on my part to make you guys eat one while you have the means to (possibly) prevent it for a turn. After this turn, you know the cards that were on the discard pile are going to be dealt again soon-ish, so I'm not going to ask before the next Epidemic card appears.

Again, this has nothing to do with whether I consider a good or bad move to burn the card.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Our only two problem cities are Kinsasha and Delhi. There is nothing anyone can do to get to Delhi to save me from getting a scar; and nobody can get to Kinshasa before Stelas' turn anyway.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

If I play OQN, we can keep Delhi from exploding, right?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

If Delhi is in the top 2.then yeah; if it's past that it's moot

berenzen fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 23, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

How bad is it if Dehli explodes?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I scar, 5 black cubes go on the board

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

##Pull the trigger.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OK, I'm discarding anyway so no point discarding two.

Move TAI-HK
Move HK-KOL
Move KOL-DEL
Treat

Will figure out what to discard when I see what I've drawn, but when Berenzen trades I'll be in a research station with four red cards.

Berenzen - if I draw a red card myself I still want Sydney because my next target is yellow. I'm happy to do the cleanup in exchange for being one move away.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Early January, turn 05

A sudden outbreak of disease in Delhi opens up yet another front for the CDC. The containment is beginning to fail, and unless the infection rates are lowered, outbreaks are expected in some cities sooner rather than later. For now, the WHO approves a special aid package, sending personnel to the most troublesome areas, preventing further infections and giving the CDC some breathing room.

Some Numbers pulls our first Epidemic card and infects Delhi. The other player card is San Francisco (Blue).

Some Numbers plays One Quiet Night to skip the Infection Phase

I forgot to move the infection marker up in the maps, will be fixed next turn.

January Objective: Find the cures for the 4 diseases.

Cards in the player deck: 41
Blue Cubes: 17
Yellow Cubes: 18
Black Cubes: 17
Red Cubes: 21

Disease Deck Discards:

None!

Player Deck Discards:

• Yellow: Miami
  • Black: Delhi
  • Other:One Quiet Night, Government Grant

Player Hands

Medic - Some Numbers - Orange - Baghdad
  • Blue: San Francisco
  • Yellow: Buenos Aires
  • Black: Kolkata
Scientist - Jedit - White - Taipei
  • Blue: Atlanta
  • Yellow: Santiago, Mexico
  • Red: Beijing, Ho Chi Minh, Manila
Dispatcher - Stelas - Pink - Manila
  • Blue: Madrid
  • Black: Istambul
  • Red: Seoul
Researcher - berenzen - Brown - Delhi
  • Red: Sydney

Huge Map

Jedit's turn

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Jedit's turn

Already posted my orders.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

That will teach me to refresh.

Sorry, guys, it's been an hectic weekend with an unexpected 2-day trip. updates will resume on Monday.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

No worries here, it's the weekend and I had a Star Trek to watch.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Early January, turn 06

WHO's help give the CDC enough time to move some teams to Delhi and control the disease there somewhat, leaving only the situation in Africa as an emergency.

Not everything is good news, though. The CDC receives increasingly disturbing reports that COdA-403a, the disease rampaging through North America and Europe is becoming more and more difficult to treat, mutating faster than the teams can develop cures. Worse than that, it seems that a virulent strain has appeared at Atlanta, CDC's headquarters, and is spreading to nearby areas with sick people fleeing the city.

Jedit moves to Dehli and treats the disease there.

Jedit draws Osaka (Red) and :siren:Epidemic:siren:

Epidemic strikes in Atlanta, placing 3 blue cubes there. Without any other card in the disease discard deck, we draw Atlanta again during the infection phase, and the city suffers an outbreak. We also draw a Bangkok (Red) card.

As per the Legacy Deck instructions (draw this card after resolving the second Epidemic card in your first game), we draw a card:

Legacy Deck posted:

Our worst fears have come to pass. The disease with most cubes on the board is now called COdA-403a. The cure for this disease cannot be found with the current techniques. You can treat the illness, but it has become resistant to treatment. The players who take a "Treat Disease" action must spend 2 actions to do so.

The objective changes to "Find a cure for the other three diseases"

January Objective: Find the cures for the 3 "normal" diseases.

Cards in the player deck: 39
Blue Cubes: 11
Black Cubes: 17
Red Cubes: 20

Disease Deck Discards:

• Red: Bangkok

Player Deck Discards:

Player Hands

Medic - Some Numbers - Orange - Baghdad
  • Red: Beijing, Ho Chi Minh, Manila, Osaka
Dispatcher - Stelas - Pink - Manila
  • Black: Istambul

Huge Map

Stelas, fix this mess, will you?

So, that happened. Did I mention that objectives can change halfway trough the month? The game is kind of a dick.

No more Legacy Cards will be drawn before the end of the game.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

silvergoose posted:

:munch:
Literally back to back is pretty rare

THE DECK IS NOT DOCTORED!!! SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

So if Stelas moves to Bangkok and treats twice and Berenzen passes me Sydney so I can fly there, we can both cure and eradicate Red?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

At least we don't have to worry about an epidemic for a while.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Fat Samurai posted:

THE DECK IS NOT DOCTORED!!! SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!!

When I say literally back to back, I mean, you draw two cards in your turn and they are *both* epidemics.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I should probably go back to Atlanta and treat blue as best I can.

Stelas, can you get me to closer to Delhi so I can have more Actions on my turn?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

:munch: this is a silly question; which disease is coda this campaign? Blue?

Also, super important reminder: eradicating diseases is VITAL in this game. Because the firs time you eradicate a disease you get to NAME that disease. Because naming them means you can do things like Big Fever in Little China for red, or Pox Romana for blue, as my group did. :3:

This is in the non-spoiler base rules, and I'm...partly joking. But naming the diseases was a huge plus to our enjoyment.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Stelas, can you get me to closer to Delhi so I can have more Actions on my turn?

Jedit posted:

So if Stelas moves to Bangkok and treats twice and Berenzen passes me Sydney so I can fly there, we can both cure and eradicate Red?

These are both good (looking at the rules we really don't want a research centre to start getting too much panic) but I wonder if it might be more useful for me to move to Sydney instead because that frees me up to move Numbers once - which allows Numbers to clear Atlanta on his turn. Something like:

I move to Sydney, clear, and move Numbers to Tehran.
Berenzen clears Delhi and questionmark questionmark
Jedit makes red cure, moves twice to Bangkok, clears, yay red is gone
Numbers moves to Delhi, flies to Atlanta, clears it

y/n?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

For those who are interested, the physical game comes with several way to "unlock" things:

The Legacy deck tells the story of the game. You draw cards as the game tells you. The two objective cards (cure 4 diseases and cure 3 diseases) and the thing about COdA came from here. Occasionally there will be a number on the card, which tells you to open a slot from the Top Secret dossiers:

These are pretty cool. We've opened number 19, which is a small one that contains a sticker that says "This disease is COdA. Put the sticker on the board to remind you that it takes 2 actions to treat it."

And finally, the box itself:

There are 8 boxes to open when the Legacy deck tells you to. The yellow sticker in box number 8 is placed there before you start your first game and says "open if you lose 4 games in a row".

I do not recommend trying to open it.

silvergoose posted:

:munch: this is a silly question; which disease is coda this campaign? Blue?

Blue, yes. I probably should write it down somewhere.

I'm working on a rules post to slap somewhere in the first posts, so I can have updated rules (for example, COdA is going to take 2 actions to treat ), because things are only going to get more complex.

silvergoose posted:

Also, super important reminder: eradicating diseases is VITAL in this game. Because the firs time you eradicate a disease you get to NAME that disease. Because naming them means you can do things like Big Fever in Little China for red, or Pox Romana for blue, as my group did. :3:

This is in the non-spoiler base rules, and I'm...partly joking. But naming the diseases was a huge plus to our enjoyment.

While silvergoose is right, because I'm going to get sick of calling them Red Cubes and Blue Disease pretty soon, remember that you don't need to eradicate the three non-COdA diseases. Just find a cure for them.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

What if I head to Kinshasa instead to deal with that mess instead, so we don't risk an outbreak there? I can clear out a cube off of Delhi, or give Jedit Sydney as well.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
"COdA"? Coda? At least it's not GUILT or Stigma, but...interesting choice of names.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

berenzen posted:

What if I head to Kinshasa instead to deal with that mess instead, so we don't risk an outbreak there? I can clear out a cube off of Delhi, or give Jedit Sydney as well.

Totally fair, I just think it's a bit more beneficial if I hit Sydney instead of Jedit rather than moving twice. I really want Numbers to get to Atlanta because as far as I can tell having it hit panic 2 would start to suck.

Move to Sydney
Treat
Treat
Move Numbers to Tehran

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Jedit, do you still want Sydney?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Davin Valkri posted:

"COdA"? Coda? At least it's not GUILT or Stigma, but...interesting choice of names.

It's closer to how the CDC typically abbreviates virus names, albeit not following any of their rules. Essentially it sounds more like a scientist named it rather than, say, DARPA

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Xelkelvos posted:

It's closer to how the CDC typically abbreviates virus names, albeit not following any of their rules. Essentially it sounds more like a scientist named it rather than, say, DARPA

I meant more that naming a virus "coda", ending, sounds freakishly ominous, like GUILT, Stigma, or Rosalia from Trauma Center.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Or FOXDIE.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

While silvergoose is right, because I'm going to get sick of calling them Red Cubes and Blue Disease pretty soon, remember that you don't need to eradicate the three non-COdA diseases. Just find a cure for them.

:munch:

Yeah when I say essential, I don't mean in order to win, I mean in order to be awesome scientists that name their own diseases. :c00lbutt:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Early January, turn 07

Steals does his thing. Draws Riyadh (Black) and Forecast (See the first six cards from the Infection deck and put them back in any order)

New infections in San Francisco (Blue) and Baghdad (Black)

January Objective: Find the cures for the 3 "normal" diseases.

Cards in the player deck: 37
COdA (Blue Cubes) : 10
Black Cubes: 16
Red Cubes: 22

Disease Deck Discards:

• Blue: Atlanta, San Francisco
  • Black: Baghdad
  • Red: Bangkok

Player Deck Discards:

Player Hands

Medic - Some Numbers - Orange - Tehran
  • Red: Beijing, Ho Chi Minh, Manila, Osaka
Dispatcher - Stelas - Pink - Sydney
  • Black: Istambul, Riyadh
  • Other: Forecast

Huge Map

berenzen's turn

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Two things:

- To speed up things, all the players should feel free to call for the use of Forecast, and I'll use the card if Stelas agrees.
- Stelas, please check the Dispatcher's abilities and confirm your turn, please. I hate doing this, but this seems like a clear rules misunderstanding to me, which I thing has a lot to do with the PbP format.

Davin Valkri posted:

I meant more that naming a virus "coda", ending, sounds freakishly ominous, like GUILT, Stigma, or Rosalia from Trauma Center.

Listen, pal, the virus is the Cananeia Ourem Dasychira Argentata in sciencey speak, the acronym is a mere coincidence. This is how Things are Done. Do you think the people from S.H.I.E.L.D. actually sat down and chose a cool acronym before christening the agency?

I have full confidence in our group to fix this before it gets any worse. :colbert:

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

If Jedit wants Sydney #Give Jedit Sydney
Else #Treat Delhi

#Fly from Delhi to Lagos
#Drive from Lagos to Kinshasa
#Treat Kinshasa

As for forecast, I always say pop it right after an epidemic, so we can see what we need to triage over the next few turns after it (also to delay problematic diseases.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 25, 2016

• Locked thread