Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I always thought Ursula was one of the more clever Disney villains. The whole plot she roped Ariel into was legal, binding, and completely unbreakable . Compare this to Jafar, who needed a deus ex Genie to pull off his coup.

She was also up front about the consequences of the contract, so it's not like she pulled the "by the way you're a seaweed monster now" at the last second. She really didn't need to ; present a Faustian bargain to a sixteen year old and they won't care about the consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Hades kept his promises throughout the film, Hercules makes one deal (Meg leaves, he stays) and he doesn't follow through.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Ursula is undoubtedly one of the best villains Disney's done. Unlike a lot of the crazy megalomaniacs, she's a specific kind of terrible person that's practically everywhere in real life; the ones who get their way by breaking people down by playing up the ways they themselves feel they aren't meeting expectations.

And every single element of this is conveyed through her big bombastic musical number, which is why it's so phenomenal.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Mahoning posted:

I read somewhere that he wasn't originally supposed to be dumb, just like a regular chicken sidekick. Except it wasn't funny and nobody cared about Heihei and they were maybe gonna take him out of the movie until they said "What if we just make him really dumb?"

Bingo.

He was supposed to be more like the hummingbird in Pocahontas. But he just became a tiresome character that prevented the movie from fleshing out

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I personally thought they overused Heihei. Comic relief is fine but it felt like every 5 minutes they had to cut to it. That and the weird Fury Road coconut people scene were my only complaints of the film.

Heihei only had like 6 minutes of screen time

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Panfilo posted:

I always thought Ursula was one of the more clever Disney villains. The whole plot she roped Ariel into was legal, binding, and completely unbreakable . Compare this to Jafar, who needed a deus ex Genie to pull off his coup.

She was also up front about the consequences of the contract, so it's not like she pulled the "by the way you're a seaweed monster now" at the last second. She really didn't need to ; present a Faustian bargain to a sixteen year old and they won't care about the consequences.

She just had to use her powers (transforms into a human and uses Ariel's voice to seduce Eric) and her eel minions (when they tip the rowboat during the almost kiss scene) to interfere with Ariel and Eric so she could win

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

SocketWrench posted:

Heihei only had like 6 minutes of screen time

But they cut to him for quick 10 second jokes pretty frequently. I'm sure kids loved it, but it was enough to be noticeably distracting for me.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
On reflection, a lot of the renaissance Disney villains were just outright con artists.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well, we've come a long way since then - now the con artist is a hero!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ravel posted:

Hades kept his promises throughout the film, Hercules makes one deal (Meg leaves, he stays) and he doesn't follow through.

Hades is one of Disney's best villains. God he is fun.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

Hades is one of Disney's best villains. He is fun god.

That's how I read it at first. Also, I agree

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
James Woods and Eartha Kitt are two examples of celebrity voice-casting done absolutely primo.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

People can complain about Heihei but if there's a superfluous character in this movie it's Pua the pig. He seems like a character that only exists because Disney didn't think people would buy a plush chicken, and maybe in service of the pork joke at the beginning. That useless motherfucker doesn't even go on the boat with them until the end.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
I have a feeling Pua was originally supposed to be on the adventure and got cut.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

I have a feeling Pua was originally supposed to be on the adventure and got cut.

Thats the same feeling I got, and it turns her two companions into a weird thing in the final version where of Moanas two pets only the incredibly stupid one makes the trip, deals with the heart of the sea, hangs out with Maui while the more intelligent one stays on the island.

Last Unicorn rules and King Haggard was an inspiration for me. Now, in addition to posting constantly on this forum I also travel the lands seeking to capture Unicorns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I just realized that the version of the soundtrack on Spotify has a bunch of outtakes and early versions on it. There's a version of Shiny that's just Lin Manuel Miranda doing a full Bowie impression that I like more than the version in the movie.

e: https://open.spotify.com/track/6zkf9XiGqi7PXPMLrkyHWR

• Locked thread