Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

Pick posted:

That being what? That being where? In what way are there concerns not true even if it is a tattoo overlay, which again might not even be practical with safe available materials.

The people that go hunting for things to be concerned about will find those concerns no matter what. That won't ever go away. But Disney doesn't have to make it so easy for them with such a tone-deaf costume. In light of the blowback this might cause if it's a slow news week, a simple grass skirt and necklace might be better for them even if it is a poo poo costume that doesn't really sell.

Kubrick fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Throw in a plastic version of Maui's giant hook thing and you at least offer value.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Hell, what about a stencil and some non-toxic black paint?

Unless the idea is to not have kids walking around a neighbourhood half-naked...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Would a Maui mask be brown face?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Seems like comparing that to black face kinda ignores what the issue with black face is.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I'm pretty sure Disney doesn't actually need to do a single thing to try and please Gizmodo, or this chick in particular.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I'm pretty sure Disney doesn't actually need to do a single thing to try and please Gizmodo, or this chick in particular.

I mean, if she has a legitimate complaint does it really matter that she wrote on one of the many garbo kinja sites.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Her articles all follow the exact same formula, being exactly as shocked and appalled that comic book men acknowledge the known criminals of the Insane Clown Posse as notable figures in rap etc. This isn't a 'legitimate complaint', it's one iteration of a really insipid thinkpiece formula, and if you feel otherwise it'd be nice to see someone actually defend her thesis instead of take it as a given and theorize about whether therefore in the interests of an inoffensive Halloween Disney should offer to dress children in transparent body stockings that will show their actual skin, or have color-coded separate shirts for each race to prevent costume miscegenation, or something.

Disney is simultaneously mainstream culture incarnate and a vast capitalist machine that decontextualizes and commercializes anything it touches; there is no possible way for it to acknowledge minority cultures that will not be on some level appropriative, and yet people have fought for decades for just that. Tut-tutting about what specific shades of brown it should use in getting little white kids to dance around in grass skirts pretending to be a Californian corporation's version of a Polynesian folk hero is imbecilic; whatever battle you're fighting here, you've already lost.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 19, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean 'put on this brown skinsuit' is kinda...dumb at the very least? I don't think anyone's saying Disney is cackling as they mock minorities or something but yea 'literally wear a skinsuit meant to be based on an actual racial minority that actually exists and deals with actual racial problems' is probably not a smart idea? Is this really some crazy statement?

I mean, grass skirt, big plastic hook, I think he has some wrist stuff too, and a more transparent shirt with the tattoo designs, wouldn't that be an easier way to do that that doesn't involve 'put on this brown suit to look like your skin is darker'?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You're already making the default assumption that this is a product for white children and some other minority children might wear it, you guess.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

You're already making the default assumption that this is a product for white children and some other minority children might wear it, you guess.

No I'm not?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I mean, grass skirt, big plastic hook, I think he has some wrist stuff too, and a more transparent shirt with the tattoo designs, wouldn't that be an easier way to do that that doesn't involve 'put on this brown suit to look like your skin is darker'?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean, why else does the suit exist in that form?

If this was intended for kids who already look like Maui wouldn't they just need the tats?

I don't think it was for specifically white kids but I do think whoever designed it came at it from one of those weird 'colorblind' places of 'but EVERYONE will want to dress up like him so we have to make sure the suit matches' kinda thinking.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I mean, why else does the suit exist in that form?

If this was intended for kids who already look like Maui wouldn't they just need the tats?

I don't think it was for specifically white kids but I do think whoever designed it came at it from one of those weird 'colorblind' places of 'but EVERYONE will want to dress up like him so we have to make sure the suit matches' kinda thinking.

please describe exactly what you envision when you talk about a shirt that shows 'just the tats'

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There are kids darker than that who are going to wear it too. You're assuming it's a skin-darkening suit which misrepresents what's going on there.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I dunno man, I'm not pretending to have a perfect solution, and I get how it's kinda a hosed either way situation for Disney. I think my main issue was the instant dismissal of the stance of 'this is kinda awkward' as if no reasonable person could think 'wait what' when they see that.

Like, I'm positive on my block I'm gonna see a white kid in a Maui outfit, and I fully agree there's no real way to STOP that other than hoping the parents maybe have a bit of common sense, but it's still gonna be kinda weird to see it.

I don't have a solution, I don't think there really IS a perfect solution, I just think it's valid to say 'this could probably turn into an awkward costume really easily'.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Pick posted:

Every product ever made is made for white children.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Her articles all follow the exact same formula, being exactly as shocked and appalled that comic book men acknowledge the known criminals of the Insane Clown Posse as notable figures in rap etc. This isn't a 'legitimate complaint', it's one iteration of a really insipid thinkpiece formula, and if you feel otherwise it'd be nice to see someone actually defend her thesis instead of take it as a given and theorize about whether therefore in the interests of an inoffensive Halloween Disney should offer to dress children in transparent body stockings that will show their actual skin, or have color-coded separate shirts for each race to prevent costume miscegenation, or something.

Disney is simultaneously mainstream culture incarnate and a vast capitalist machine that decontextualizes and commercializes anything it touches; there is no possible way for it to acknowledge minority cultures that will not be on some level appropriative, and yet people have fought for decades for just that. Tut-tutting about what specific shades of brown it should use in getting little white kids to dance around in grass skirts pretending to be a Californian corporation's version of a Polynesian folk hero is imbecilic; whatever battle you're fighting here, you've already lost.

This is a better reply than the other one

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

You aren't wrong about Disney, but complaints don't need to be legitimate anymore to do their damage. The outrage machine is going to grind on whether or not there is anything actually to be outraged over. Disney has spent a great deal of time and energy trying to point that machine away from their film only to risk it on a silly costume. It's all a dance, and they just stepped on a nail.

Kubrick fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Sep 19, 2016

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yes, but the real question is, did they actually lose any money? Are the members of the Internet outrage machine actually people who buy Disney Halloween costumes? Is this something that a sizable demographic cares about, or really just a few dozen people?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah I'm p sure that economically speaking placating fringe culture-critic blogs ranks on Disney's priorities roughly with placating the Dark Enlightenment, MSNBC isn't about to start ripping into Disney for cultural appropriation over halloween costumes. the only real point of discussion here is whether regardless of her actual ability to affect change (none) Kinja lady has a point, and she doesn't imo, it's just the noises that are left when bourgeois progressivism has entirely ceded the field and abandoned any meaningful hill to die on.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I mean 'put on this brown skinsuit' is kinda...dumb at the very least? I don't think anyone's saying Disney is cackling as they mock minorities or something but yea 'literally wear a skinsuit meant to be based on an actual racial minority that actually exists and deals with actual racial problems' is probably not a smart idea? Is this really some crazy statement?

Yeah, and then you've got people screaming they can see naked boy/girl parts. Not to mention to be transparent it'd likely be plastic which doesn't breath for poo poo....nope, no problems there.

Seriously, bitching this is racism is about as retarded as PC can get. It's a company that made a costume based on a movie character it made so kids that liked it can actually play dress up as it.
Like a previous poster said, comparing this to poo poo like blackface kinda ignores what blackface actually was.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
My question is, looking at it the other way, are black children only allowed to dress up as black superheroes?

Why can't a child one race dress up as a superhero of another race?

I mean, when I was a kid I wanted to dress up as Mr. T for Halloween and I'm about as white as it gets.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SimonCat posted:

My question is, looking at it the other way, are black children only allowed to dress up as black superheroes?

I mean, when I was a kid I wanted to dress up as Mr. T for Halloween and I'm about as white as it gets.

:yikes:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

poo poo I still want to dress up like Mr. T just as a, like, regular everyday thing

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Personally I get offended by Disney marketing Lion King costumes to human kids, and

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Kubrick posted:

There might be a safe middle ground between "no costume at all" and "wear some Polynesian skin."

I honestly have no idea what that compromise would be but its funny (?) that the Disney marketing crew had twenty years to figure out how to make a less awful costume of a character who wears a skirt and has tattoos.

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 20, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the new issue is what kind of loving child abuser dresses their kid up in that or the Minion outfit when there's that sick rear end Godzilla suit right in the related items

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SimonCat posted:

White kid here, and I wanted to be Blade for Halloween. Blade rules.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I wanted to be a cow.
I wore a cow costume for Halloween two years in a row. I liked it that much.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

I wanted to be a cow.
I wore a cow costume for Halloween two years in a row. I liked it that much.

In 3rd grade I was a locust

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The best costumes are the reusable ones.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Kubrick posted:

There might be a safe middle ground between "no costume at all" and "wear some Polynesian skin."

I'm not sure there's a good one. Disney's been trending toward more diversity since the Disney renaissance, and in a lot of cases it seems kind of iffy and appropriative to make costumes out of them. "Dress up like a corporate version of a different racial or ethnic group/culture" still feels weird to me with Aladdin, Pocahontas, and Mulan, even without the skin part. I think the diversity is good, but in costume form it makes me think of those "we're a culture, not a costume" ads.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

I'm not sure there's a good one. Disney's been trending toward more diversity since the Disney renaissance, and in a lot of cases it seems kind of iffy and appropriative to make costumes out of them. "Dress up like a corporate version of a different racial or ethnic group/culture" still feels weird to me with Aladdin, Pocahontas, and Mulan, even without the skin part. I think the diversity is good, but in costume form it makes me think of those "we're a culture, not a costume" ads.

Okay, but as noted, then you just end up with white-only costumes which doesn't seem like a great solution.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

CelticPredator posted:

White kid here, and I wanted to be Blade for Halloween. Blade rules.

The MSJ posted:

Hey, I got some good news!

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

I think the difference is that these kids aren't dressing up as Generic Chinese Lady, they're dressing up as a specific character, Mulan. As someone who grew up with Aladdin, I have to admit that I never pondered the problems of the representation of Arabian culture. I would argue that kids don't care about things in the ways that adults do because they lack other context. As a kid, I loved Aladdin because it's funny and the music is enjoyable. And also the scene where Jasmine, in the Disneyist way possible, tells every human male character to go to hell. It still makes me laugh!

I can understand annoyance at the costume in question, but considering the character's design (bare chested) I'm not sure how to make that work outside of doing what they did. The other option is to not offer the costume at all, and I'm not sure that not offering kids who want to dress up as a race they've likely never even heard of before this point the option is worse than having the costume available. Parents could turn it into a teaching moment, and maybe some kids will check out the culture behind the character. Not all, but some. Progress!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Das Boo posted:

Hey, I got some good news!

:eyepop:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is Mulan the only princess with a body count?

Because in that scene where she shoots a rocket into the mountain and causes an avalanche she crushed at least a few hundred dudes to death, maybe even a couple thousand. Because out of that huge group that go under the snow only a handful come out.

The MSJ posted:

All the best cybermen are also Jesuses so this checks out.

Neo, JC Denton, and also Robocop though he probably wouldn't fit into a priest's robe.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^ I think so...that we know of. Though Mulan technically isn't a princess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
She is not a princess, but she is a Princess.

• Locked thread