Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Atlas Hugged posted:

You'd be totally right if the movie made any mention of Yorktown Base being left undefended. But it doesn't. Uhura and Sulu send the signal with the bad coordinates. Elba mocks them for sending the fleet into a trap. Then it's never mentioned again. It's not like his bees arrive at the base and the admiral says, "Omg, we're completely undefended." With how big the hive was and how federation technology works, the hive could have easily overrun a handful of federation ships anyway. Basically, I think it's bad editing or screenwriting. Either that was in there and cut or it was never in there. It's like when Scotty fell off the cliff and then it cuts to what the other crew members are doing and then it cuts back Scotty and he's just exploring a crash site. Yeah, sure, he probably pulled himself up, but why include the cliffhanger at all?

Krall specifically corrects Uhura on the matter. He tells her that that the purpose of the fake coordinates was not to destroy the fleet, but to leave Yorktown undefended by a fleet presence. It was mentioned again by Uhura once they were aboard the Franklin.

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. It felt a lot more in line with pre-Nerada continuity and the throwbacks to both Enterprise and TOS were well done. Also a Voyager reference in there, if you listen closely toward the end. Maybe not as coherent as the first two, but definitely the most Trek out of all three.

Varance fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Can anyone speak to whether the 3D or IMAX is worth it?

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Wandle Cax posted:

Yes, and yes to the first one, it looks pretty similar to me

So is there an alphanumeric progression in the serial number, IE, NCC 1701 A?!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OrganizedEntropy posted:

So is there an alphanumeric progression in the serial number, IE, NCC 1701 A?!

Yes.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

AWESOME.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

There are also design updates. They moved the saucer forward and the nacelles back.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Rhyno posted:

There are also design updates. They moved the saucer forward and the nacelles back.

Do they finish the movie with a gratuitous visual flyby and the enterprise going into warp?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OrganizedEntropy posted:

Do they finish the movie with a gratuitous visual flyby and the enterprise going into warp?

No, it was a time lapse of the construction of the ship and then space credits. You don't really get a very good look at it for very long.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm gonna see it this weekend, but I have to know Does the Enterprise get blowed up? Do they get a replacement Enterprise or something different at the end, like in ST 4?

Yes it it just like at the end of each tv show ending. Revert to normal.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Saw it at an amc, imax 3d. The action was generally too fast and zoomed in to follow well but it seemed cool so I just rolled with it. Definetly some script or editing fuckery happened at the last minute, it doesn't quite all come together, but still better than the last one. 7/10

I loved how they used rock and roll to beat ISIS

Also the sound mixing in this theater is usually great but I could barely hear every fourth line or so because of music or foley being too loud. :shrug:

Bezos played one of the bad guy aliens, right? Just like real life?

At home watching my '09 dvd, love this movie. It's a 9/10 on my scale.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 22, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

effectual posted:

I loved how they used rock and roll to beat ISIS

Rap.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

effectual posted:

Saw it at an amc, imax 3d. The action was generally too fast and zoomed in to follow well but it seemed cool so I just rolled with it. Definetly some script or editing fuckery happened at the last minute, it doesn't quite all come together, but still better than the last one. 7/10

The entire end fight is quick give the bad guy a crazy super power to tie everything together.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

The entire end fight is quick give the bad guy a crazy super power to tie everything together.

I don't remember a crazy super power introduced during the end fight?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Saw the movie last night. Great opening and middle act, but the stupidity of the last act couldn't maintain my suspension of disbelief. Overall still entertaining and earns a second place spot in the 3 JJTrek films, Into Darkness still being the turd of the series.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Alternative. :colbert:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Do we get to hear about anything cool the Enterprise discovered in the previous three years that ties in to TOS? I know Kirk says in his log that things are feeling "episodic" (hurr hurr), but do we learn which episodes?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Payndz posted:

Do we get to hear about anything cool the Enterprise discovered in the previous three years that ties in to TOS? I know Kirk says in his log that things are feeling "episodic" (hurr hurr), but do we learn which episodes?

The one with the planet of Mobsters.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

computer parts posted:

The one with the planet of Mobsters.

Is that the one where the planet coincidentally has exactly the same geography as earth and they mention that like once and move on?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gilok posted:

Alternative. :colbert:

I'm pretty sure the Beastie Boys predate that genre.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I'm pretty sure the Beastie Boys predate that genre.

For Beastie Boys it depends a lot on the album we are referencing. I don't know which song is in the movie, I haven't seen it yet, but if it's sabotage like it is in the trailer then it's a mix of hardcore punk and rap. I don't think the Beastie Boys have ever made anything that qualifies as alternative.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I said come in! posted:

For Beastie Boys it depends a lot on the album we are referencing. I don't know which song is in the movie, I haven't seen it yet, but if it's sabotage like it is in the trailer then it's a mix of hardcore punk and rap. I don't think the Beastie Boys have ever made anything that qualifies as alternative.

I agree, they're not rock and roll and even though alternative stations play then they are not alternative.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A fantastically dumb movie. Barely any character development, although really there's not much you can add to these 50 year old characters. Some tender moments inbetween all the explosions. Bones and Spock steal the show. Idris Elba is charismatic as all hell even when completely covered in makeup. I wish the first half wasn't shot in complete darkness for the action scenes.

The definition of a fun summer blockbuster, shallow and flashy but not offensive.

e: There's a lot of goofiness but the real "oh c'mon!" is Kirk wanting a desk job because he's bored of piloting... like a 3 year break from the last fight with an evil rear end in a top hat that nearly destroys the Enterprise and he's ready to hang up his hat.

Payndz posted:

I need to listen again but there's a scene where Bones rattles off a list of dangerous poo poo they've done together and some of it sounded like TOS plots.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 22, 2016

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I agree, they're not rock and roll and even though alternative stations play then they are not alternative.

I think this is the most I've heard the word "alternative" in the context of music in like 15 years.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

al-azad posted:

A fantastically dumb movie. Barely any character development, although really there's not much you can add to these 50 year old characters. Some tender moments inbetween all the explosions. Bones and Spock steal the show. Idris Elba is charismatic as all hell even when completely covered in makeup. I wish the first half wasn't shot in complete darkness for the action scenes.

The definition of a fun summer blockbuster, shallow and flashy but not offensive.

This is my takeaway as well. The action was straight 2Fast2Furious and the aforementioned "stupidity" of the last third ruined it for me, especially trying (and failing) to shoehorn traditional Star Trek technobabble into something cool by making it dumb as hell. The tender moments and a ton of various callbacks get lost in all the shuffle which is sad since you can tell Simon Pegg or someone went through a lot of effort to get them in the script and they're very well done.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Yeah, I can't get on board with all this "Good stupid fun" stuff people are saying about all these huge blockbuster comicbook/tv show movies for the last couple of years. This movie was stupid but barely fun. Competently made? Sure. But not really enjoyable and a REALLLY convoluted plot that left me lost the proverbial captain in space for big chunks of the movie. I (and my wife) also concur with the "it was really loving dark" complaints. There were huge chunks that were dark and everyone is literally falling and tumbling and flying around in every which way and I could not tell poo poo from poo poo. Also we watched in 3D and the beginning especially has all these panning shots in space that caused me dizziness, which I had never experienced with a 3D movie.

The entire movie revolves around some kind of super weapon that is introduced from the very beginning and looks like huge pog slammer or something. It is so poorly explained just WHAT it does or HOW it works. Before the very end of the movie, we have seen it in action only once wherein it is like "unleashed" inside of a chamber which seems like it was specifically designed for and it sends out some kind of dust which eats away an unfortunate crew member of the ship. Besides the fact that that seems over all pretty tame by super future technology standards, you dont get any sense of what its capable of nor how its "targeted" or "deployed" at someone or something. This all comes to a head when, at the very end, the entire movies climax/resolution revolves around Idris Elba engaging the weapon inside of some environment regulating tube on the space station (which he somehow knew to be in). The mechanism and implications and power of the weapon has been so poorly explained or shown that when he engages it and it starts just kinda swirling around with some dust, you have no sense of like "Oh no, hes really done it, the space station is doomed" because you have no idea if its "working" or actively destroying already or anything. Nothing at all. The entire climax of the movie, the "macguffin" as one poster said earlier, is predicated on this super weapon being deployed against the entire space station ("Millions of souls") but since you have no idea how it works or what it does, the scene has absolutely zero tension and feels totally anti climactic. This is further borne out by the fact that deploying the weapon has no effect and Elba is promptly sucked out into space, where the magic space dust goes ahead and consumes HIM to literally zero consequence. They even make a point of telling you earlier on that the weapon has to be split in two and shot off into space to deactivate it yet its sucked out into space WHOLE, where it in fact "consumes" someone and is just now floating off into space to conceivably consume the entire universe and all living things within it. If that seems like a dumb conclusion its because the movie posits no other operating theory as to the destructive nature of the weapon which, I repeat, is the entire point of the whole plot of the movie.

super stupid nerd rant out

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
So basically as long as you don't care about the physics of the Death Weapon, you'll enjoy this movie.

Woden
May 6, 2006

DeafNote posted:

I can answer some of that

The signal wasnt redirected to trap anyone, it was meant to divert the starbase's spaceships towards the nebula, long enough for the villain to attack the starbase. The Nebula disrupts space communications (because of course it does), so I assume the ships wouldnt know to return in time. Other than that, the movie was pretty simple yeah. But I can see what they wanted to show with Idris. That a captain can go utterly bonkers in space. His endgame was a bit hard to understand, and the movie doesnt really explain his followers or how he got the swarm ships. Or a lot of things. The magical space device originally came from that planet though, so at least it explains how he learned about that.

The ships were left over mining drones that whatever race that used to live there didn't take when they bailed. Same with all the tech they had I assume.

What I don't get is:

Why didn't they just use the transporter to teleport Elba onto the ship at the end instead of sending in Kirk to beat him up?

How many people are their on the Enterprise crew, ~400 like TOS or less? Just curious because they only saved ~40(2 teleporter trips with a max of 20 per trip).

Why did the bad guy go bad? He had ships so could have left whenever he wanted, had a radio on his federation ship so could have left the cloud and asked for a taxi if the swarm ships couldn't warp. Hell he even had alien visitors(likely warp capable) that he subjugated instead of hitching a ride with.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

computer parts posted:

So basically as long as you don't care about the physics of the Death Weapon, you'll enjoy this movie.

Thats a pretty dumb hand waving of what is supposed to be the climax of the movie. Its not the physics, its that the stakes are never clear. I wouldn't care about the physics of anything if the movie didn't imply that I HAD to.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yeah, I mean everyone has a different idea of entertainment. The core things I look for in a movie are pacing and engagement, that's what I derive entertainment from. You engaged me within 5 minutes with a cold opening straight out of a Saturday morning cartoon. And it intersperses slow characterization with big flashes and explosions. There's never a scene where I'm checking my watch or wishing they would rush to the point and I have to hand that to the actors, this series has ended up being one of my favorite movie casts (rip Anton).

By those criteria I call it fun even if they defeat the Luftwaffe with the power of 90s rock rap.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I will say the cast is quite good. I wasn't as engaged by the spock/bones dynamic as some others are but I enjoyed it. But the story and its unnecessary contortions and intricacies killed most of my enjoyment.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gozinbulx posted:

Thats a pretty dumb hand waving of what is supposed to be the climax of the movie. Its not the physics, its that the stakes are never clear. I wouldn't care about the physics of anything if the movie didn't imply that I HAD to.

Stakes sound pretty clear to me. They have a doomsday weapon, they're going to use it, they've gotta be stopped.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

computer parts posted:

Stakes sound pretty clear to me. They have a doomsday weapon, they're going to use it, they've gotta be stopped.

the moment when Elba engage the weapon while floating in the tube, am I supposed to react to that as if it were some kind of ticking time bomb (a well worn and thus understood cliche) which hightens the tension? If so, then it fails because I did not get that sense at all. What little I could deduce about it from before that moment, I thought engaging it meant it was over, doomsday activated. It wasn't, so I didn't know how I was supposed to feel

CubeGuy
Jul 19, 2005
You ended your sentence with a preposistion. Bastard.

Gozinbulx posted:

the moment when Elba engage the weapon while floating in the tube, am I supposed to react to that as if it were some kind of ticking time bomb (a well worn and thus understood cliche) which hightens the tension? If so, then it fails because I did not get that sense at all. What little I could deduce about it from before that moment, I thought engaging it meant it was over, doomsday activated. It wasn't, so I didn't know how I was supposed to feel

Wasn't there literally a timer to tell us when the bad things would happen? I thought Scotty had one on his console since he kept saying Kirk wasn't gonna make it in time. Seemed pretty straight forward to me.

That being said I'm on board with anyone complaining about the movie being literally too dark.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

CubeGuy posted:

Wasn't there literally a timer to tell us when the bad things would happen? I thought Scotty had one on his console since he kept saying Kirk wasn't gonna make it in time. Seemed pretty straight forward to me.

That being said I'm on board with anyone complaining about the movie being literally too dark.

That timer was for something else, I believe.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The stakes are clear, but not as interesting as Vulcan Implodes or RoboCop is Taking Over Starfleet.

I actually like the idea of the doomsday weapon, it's a "clean" weapon that leaves people dead but technology intact for the villain to use. I think there's a DS9 episode with the same idea?

Woden
May 6, 2006

Gozinbulx posted:

That timer was for something else, I believe.

For the turbines to suck everything through wasn't it?

Was still a doomsday clock

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I actually like the idea of the doomsday weapon, it's a "clean" weapon that leaves people dead but technology intact for the villain to use. I think there's a DS9 episode with the same idea?

More like the United States in the Cold War with the neutron bomb.

There was also the (theoretical, as far as we know) idea during the Cold War of the cobalt bomb that produces massively more fallout to kill off life with radiation poisoning on a massive scale.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

quote:

e: There's a lot of goofiness but the real "oh c'mon!" is Kirk wanting a desk job because he's bored of piloting... like a 3 year break from the last fight with an evil rear end in a top hat that nearly destroys the Enterprise and he's ready to hang up his hat.

oddly enough I think the Motion Picture would be better if Kirk was happy as an Admiral and only had to take command due to what's his name loving up

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I hope everyone likes the Beastie Boys, movie had to choose some music to steal a Futurama joke with..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gozinbulx posted:

it seemed easy to understand though? It was kill you dust that eats things and it was in the fancy ventilation shaft. It seemed really really straightfoward.

• Locked thread