Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

hhhat posted:

Didn't watch Enterprise but if you guys liked the callbacks then they must have been done really well, nothing felt out of place to me without knowing what they were referencing.

For me, it's that enterprise was a very unpopular show (it's honestly not a terrible show, it's just not great) that was also written with both unreliable narrator AND time travel shenanigans outs so that they could write it all out of ever existing if they wanted to, and then this movie did it's own weird time travel reboot and it just felt like such a given that the events of enterprise would just never ever be mentioned again by anyone. So just by being so unexpected even mentioning a thing from enterprise wrapped around to being cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

For me, it's that enterprise was a very unpopular show (it's honestly not a terrible show, it's just not great) that was also written with both unreliable narrator AND time travel shenanigans outs so that they could write it all out of ever existing if they wanted to, and then

this movie did it's own weird time travel reboot and it just felt like such a given that the events of enterprise would just never ever be mentioned again by anyone. So just by being so unexpected even mentioning a thing from enterprise wrapped around to being cool.

Archer was an admiral in 2009 Star Trek.
NX ship models appeared in the last movie too.

EDIT:

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 23, 2016

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bardeh posted:

Idris Elba's character - easy enough to see the twist coming from a mile off

Really? I mean maybe, but I guess I missed something along the way or I wasn't thinking along a certain line because right up to the end I couldn't figure out what the gently caress G'Kar wanted other than what the Enterprise crew uncovered.

Aside form the lethalness of their ships I thought the villains were particularly uninspired. It still made for a fun romp but I had to come to terms with the fact that "yes, this isn't going to make much sense, just enjoy it"

Did they ever explain why Irdis' character looks like G'kar when he's presumably human? Like, is it supposed to be something with the energy sapping keeping him alive and it turns him into an alien weirdo along the way? And I guess the whole energy sapping thing just seemed so cheesy. He's human and now he can suddenly sap energy from living beings for some reason.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 23, 2016

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
There were parts I didn't like but it was the best Trek movie since First Contact, possibly since Undiscovered Country. Considering how many aliens they show in Starfleet (which utterly rules), I wish they'd throw an Andorian in the background somewhere.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They pretty explicitly show that the technology that leeches life force out of people does some DNa splicing morphological change magic when he's grabbing the two Enterprise crewmembers in front of Sulu and Uhura. His face stops being all ridges and becomes a bit smoother and lumpy. Considering some of the scavengers that Scottie comes across are all spiky and lizardlike, it's probable that the last guys he snacked on just looked like TRex men or something.

Also, I think the suits he and his henchguy wore had some sort of that tech built in. It's the only way the Bad Touch works

Maybe you took a leak while it happened and missed it?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I actually did! I came back and his head was going all funky. I was very confused afterward.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Apollodorus posted:

Why doesn't it fit? Didn't the Earthicans fight the Xindi in Enterprise? And then presumably the Romulans in the un-produced season 5?

Well the Romulans fit more because the Federation was formed mostly due to the Earth-Romulan war, but the Xindi stuff is all alternate timelines and that sort of horseshit where they did attack us but it was undone.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

For me, it's that enterprise was a very unpopular show (it's honestly not a terrible show, it's just not great) that was also written with both unreliable narrator AND time travel shenanigans outs so that they could write it all out of ever existing if they wanted to, and then this movie did it's own weird time travel reboot and it just felt like such a given that the events of enterprise would just never ever be mentioned again by anyone. So just by being so unexpected even mentioning a thing from enterprise wrapped around to being cool.

As someone who genuinely loves Enterprise, it's just validation that it's being included with the "big boys" and not being shoved under the rug and forgotten about.

For me, it probably had the most consistently decent first season outside of TOS, and season four is right up there with the best of DS9 in my mind. The Xindi arc was a fun experiment and very much a product of its time.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

HD DAD posted:

As someone who genuinely loves Enterprise, it's just validation that it's being included with the "big boys" and not being shoved under the rug and forgotten about.

For me, it probably had the most consistently decent first season outside of TOS, and season four is right up there with the best of DS9 in my mind. The Xindi arc was a fun experiment and very much a product of its time.

The first season of Enterprise felt the most genuinely focused on exploring the unknown. Something really hadn't seen too much of since TNG.

It was easily my favorite season of the show.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

HD DAD posted:

It felt like a show that never found it's footing and kept wildly changing it's tone. Like it started as episodic but before it really sorted out that it moved to being really tightly arced, but before the arc really fully developed it decided it was just a TOS homage show and everything was just callback episodes. None of the three felt bad necessarily but they just felt like they kept changing what the show was and never ever getting comfortable with any of them.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CelticPredator posted:

I actually did! I came back and his head was going all funky. I was very confused afterward.
Yeah, I almost got up myself during that bit to get a refill. It seems like just a throw-away monologuing scene aka a perfect go and piss/answer a text/stretch break.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

FilthyImp posted:

They pretty explicitly show that the technology that leeches life force out of people does some DNa splicing morphological change magic when he's grabbing the two Enterprise crewmembers in front of Sulu and Uhura. His face stops being all ridges and becomes a bit smoother and lumpy. Considering some of the scavengers that Scottie comes across are all spiky and lizardlike, it's probable that the last guys he snacked on just looked like TRex men or something.

Also, I think the suits he and his henchguy wore had some sort of that tech built in. It's the only way the Bad Touch works

Maybe you took a leak while it happened and missed it?

One nice touch I appreciated was the "Man Trap" vibe of the withered corpses he left behind.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
It did take me a while to realize his head had become smoother

also to comment on an earlier point

quote:

The super weapon - again, badly explained. They should have had Krall do something super evil with it beyond just killing a single crew member. Then I might have cared, there might have been some tension. We see it in action precisely once, and it's extremely underwhelming. I mean, I understand what it would have done had Elba's character succeeded, but it still didn't feel like the super big huge threat that they were making it out to be, simply because we never saw it in action on a grand scale

I am actually glad they didn't do that. Because I get so drat tired of seeing the villains get away with genocide or city-wide destruction (not just in the ST movies, but in general. Yes I am also talking about you A Force Awakens)
So it was nice that they actually stopped the villain from getting anywhere near completing his plans for once

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Saw it this morning, just a few thoughts:

- It's not something I usually notice or consider myself a good judge on, but I thought some of the editing in this movie was jarringly bad. Namely the sequence where they're separating the saucer from the remnants of the rest of the Enterprise, I could tell that Kirk and Uhura were separated from Krall, but I really had no sense of who was on what part. Another standout was the part where alien babe was fighting one of the bad guy henchmen, there was a really awkward transition from them being in the middle of a tussle to a shot where they're staring each other down. Odd.

- I haven't seen either the 2009 movie or Into Darkness since they came back, but I remember Karl Urban's Bones being my favorite performance. I don't know if something is different with him in this one or if it's just me, but his southern accent seemed a lot worse and a lot more noticeable as an affectation than I remember. I still like him as Bones, but the voice kind of wore on me.

- The effects work was mostly really impressive, but the shot of Kirk riding his motorcycle down the mountain was one of the worst composited effects shots I can remember in a major movie like this in a long time. It looked like the speeder bikes in Return of the Jedi.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

General Dog posted:

Saw it this morning, just a few thoughts:

- It's not something I usually notice or consider myself a good judge on, but I thought some of the editing in this movie was jarringly bad. Namely the sequence where they're separating the saucer from the remnants of the rest of the Enterprise, I could tell that Kirk and Uhura were separated from Krall, but I really had no sense of who was on what part. Another standout was the part where alien babe was fighting one of the bad guy henchmen, there was a really awkward transition from them being in the middle of a tussle to a shot where they're staring each other down. Odd.

- I haven't seen either the 2009 movie or Into Darkness since they came back, but I remember Karl Urban's Bones being my favorite performance. I don't know if something is different with him in this one or if it's just me, but his southern accent seemed a lot worse and a lot more noticeable as an affectation than I remember. I still like him as Bones, but the voice kind of wore on me.

- The effects work was mostly really impressive, but the shot of Kirk riding his motorcycle down the mountain was one of the worst composited effects shots I can remember in a major movie like this in a long time. It looked like the speeder bikes in Return of the Jedi.

I agree on the motorbike, it was a very bad effect.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
There's a similarly bad shot in one of the LotR movies involving Legolas. Agreed though that shot was astoundingly poor.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

They pretty explicitly show bla bla

Oh yeah, I guess they did. No, I remember seeing it, I guess I just didn't put two and two together.

That makes more sense now, thanks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Also I guess I'm being kind of nitpicky but I'm guessing gasoline got super stabilized by whatever year this is, right? I enjoyed how the bike was in perfectly rideable condition with a tank of gas

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Well, it's a 2160s motorbike - probably doesn't run on gasoline like you and I know it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Apollodorus posted:

Well, it's a 2160s motorbike - probably doesn't run on gasoline like you and I know it.

Also true. I'm just bad at nitpicking lately I think.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The best part of this movie are all the reference to Star Trek: Enterprise. I'm for anything that angers the hardcore Trek fans.

Loved the photograph of the original crew. When Spock had that box, I knew that's what would be in it. Great little way to celebrate 50 years.

I also liked the callbacks to Star Trek The Motion Picture Kirk takes a promotion and Spock goes back to Vulcan at the end of their 5 year mission. Well, that's what happened in the original time line.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 24, 2016

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

DeafNote posted:

I am actually glad they didn't do that. Because I get so drat tired of seeing the villains get away with genocide or city-wide destruction (not just in the ST movies, but in general. Yes I am also talking about you A Force Awakens)
So it was nice that they actually stopped the villain from getting anywhere near completing his plans for once

I also like that his super weapon was bad but not going to end the universe or earth, star trek isn't a thing that needs every threat to be omg biggest ever and I like this movie had stakes without needing to make the biggest ultra weapon yet. It was a medium sized ultra weapon.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I wonder if Sulu's family was originally a sub-plot, rather than three shots. Not that I really needed to see more of them

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015

General Dog posted:

I wonder if Sulu's family was originally a sub-plot, rather than three shots. Not that I really needed to see more of them

Unlikely. The hubby (I assume that's who he was) was played by screenwriter Doug Jung. I doubt they gave a lot of dialogue to a writer making a cameo.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

General Dog posted:

I doubt it seeing as his husband was not an actor but one of the writers of the film.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I believe John Cho said a kiss was cut:

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Did anyone else catch the soundtrack callback to TMP when Sulu points out the captured probe?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I just got back from it and over all felt it was the worst plot of all three but the best acting and interaction of all three. All of the plot just loving sucked, but everyone I felt just did a excellent job in their role that it didn't really matter because it was fun to jsut watch them.

Like I still am unclear as to what the gently caress happened in this film because there were so many dumb loving plot holes.

Them using the beastie boys to blow up the other guys was dumb as gently caress

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

I just got back from it and over all felt it was the worst plot of all three but the best acting and interaction of all three. All of the plot just loving sucked, but everyone I felt just did a excellent job in their role that it didn't really matter because it was fun to jsut watch them.

Like I still am unclear as to what the gently caress happened in this film because there were so many dumb loving plot holes.

Them using the beastie boys to blow up the other guys was dumb as gently caress

But also amazing.

WHOOOOOAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I liked the film because while the plot was not the greatest the actors were excellent in their roles and the banter etc.. made it feel like a Star Trek film. Simon Pegg really gets the characters and I enjoyed that.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
As much as I enjoyed Star Trek 09 and Into Darkness, Beyond managed to do one thing the Tyers never pulled off 100%.

It got the feel of Star Trek just right. It felt like a proper Star Trek movie.

Degenerate Star
Oct 27, 2005
unlikely
This is the best of the three New Trek movies, despite some really irritating editing choices and the sudden, inexplicable reappearance of McCoy's down home country doctor shtick, and the reason for that is the tight focus on the major characters and the sudden Spock/Bones buddy movie that happened in the middle of it. There were four pairs of major characters running around doing poo poo, and they all had more or less good moments.

I wasn't really interested in this movie because I'm pretty burnt out on Star Trek, but my house mates pretty much kidnapped me and the movie was a good time. I didn't even realize Idris Elba was in it until the end.

Basically humanity was saved by the Beastie Boys and the power of friendship, and I was okay with that.

Also, I get why the super weapon didn't get sucked into the ventilation system, with Scotty and Kirk struggling to shut it down, but why didn't the death dust eat Kirk or Krall before Krall got sucked outside?

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Degenerate Star posted:

This is the best of the three New Trek movies, despite some really irritating editing choices and the sudden, inexplicable reappearance of McCoy's down home country doctor shtick, and the reason for that is the tight focus on the major characters and the sudden Spock/Bones buddy movie that happened in the middle of it. There were four pairs of major characters running around doing poo poo, and they all had more or less good moments.

I wasn't really interested in this movie because I'm pretty burnt out on Star Trek, but my house mates pretty much kidnapped me and the movie was a good time. I didn't even realize Idris Elba was in it until the end.

Basically humanity was saved by the Beastie Boys and the power of friendship, and I was okay with that.

Also, I get why the super weapon didn't get sucked into the ventilation system, with Scotty and Kirk struggling to shut it down, but why didn't the death dust eat Kirk or Krall before Krall got sucked outside?

It needed sometime to activate I guess? They didn't really explain it but I don't think they needed to; the weapon isn't the point of the film.

I'm not sure how a few people are saying that the plot was confusing or convoluted? What? It couldn't be any more straight forward. Even Into Darkness's plot, which goons often say is a mess, was perfectly coherent so I'm not sure what qualifies as a good plot for those people.

The Beastie Boys scene was The Best Thing and anyone who didn't like it is just objectively wrong.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 24, 2016

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

This was a good and cool movie and the best new Trek movie by a mile. I laughed a bunch and the beastie boys thing was great

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I hadn't followed any of the build for this movie at all outside of seeing that terrible initial trailer they put out, and I was really pleasantly surprised at how good it was. To me if felt like they took the opening sequence from Into Darkness and made it into a full movie, and I had zero problem with that.

Also maybe I'm a sucker but I was genuinely touched by the scene of Spock finding the picture of the original cast in Ambassador Spock's belongings, I thought it was a really lovely moment. :shobon:

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Subyng posted:

It needed sometime to activate I guess? They didn't really explain it but I don't think they needed to; the weapon isn't the point of the film.

I'm not sure how a few people are saying that the plot was confusing or convoluted? What? It couldn't be any more straight forward. Even Into Darkness's plot, which goons often say is a mess, was perfectly coherent so I'm not sure what qualifies as a good plot for those people.

The Beastie Boys scene was The Best Thing and anyone who didn't like it is just objectively wrong.

I didn't have any problems understanding the storyline and I could only see half the screen in a car full of people. I was pleased because it didn't seem like the filmmakers were treating the audience like idiots, or at least not in the sense that they had to beat you over the head with long bouts of expository dialogue. There were old Star Trekky things in it and that was okay; we've moved past the point of coddling the people who haven't bothered to familiarize themselves with the most obvious elements of a usual Star Trek.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Subyng posted:

I like how the bridge crew was jamming to the music as it was playing.

Also I like the beats and the shouting.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

GORDON posted:

I like how the bridge crew was jamming to the music as it was playing.

Also I like the beats and the shouting.

Well duh, in the future everyone only listens to classical music.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jerusalem posted:

Also maybe I'm a sucker but I was genuinely touched by the scene of Spock finding the picture of the original cast in Ambassador Spock's belongings, I thought it was a really lovely moment. :shobon:

I've never liked Star Trek to be honest. My dad watched it all the time and I was just bored and hated it. Even to this day, when I come by and he's watching TNG, I usually just walk out of the room. But despite my dislike for the series overall, I couldn't help but smile at that moment. Maybe it's just Stockholm nostalgia, but it was really well done.

But I have been slowly getting into classic Trek. I kinda dig it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Somehow, it just seems right that in this timeline, Kirk is a Beastie Boys fan.

• Locked thread