Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Apollodorus posted:

Though it sounded like a position rather than a rank.

Like missionary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Saw Beyond.... I'd rate it Okay. I was into it for the first 2/3 and then the last act fell into technobabble and CGI threat territory. I realized what Krall was after almost right after he appeared although his motivation is still a bit strange to me. gently caress if it didn't make more sense than Nero's motivation however, I *still* don't understand what his deal was. Or what reboot Khan's plan was. Meh, do ANY of the reboot plots make sense?

Crew was good, sets and fx were good (I did also notice that single motorcycle effect that was wonky), nicely paced. As someone who does not like the Beasties at all I wish they would stop going back to that well. Hated it in 09 and it gets worse every time. Thought the resolution was dumb.

I sorta wish the trailers did not show the Enterprise being taken out. That would've been much more effective if you didn't know it was coming. It almost felt painful this time, seeing the nacelles ripped off, which I'm surprised doesn't happen more often with that design. I also was under the impression that going to warp without a deflector dish is suicide since the point of it is to deflect space matter at lethal speeds, but I guess they would've been doomed anyway. An effective sequence for me.

I also can't figure out how those transporters could keep a living thing alive, putting you together in pieces like that. Although I guess they don't "keep" a living thing alive in the first place, rather then assemble a new one...

They need to make a movie about the start of the Klingon war already. It's got built-in villians, opportunities for a decent plot (diplomacy gone bad) and starship action. Is it too obvious?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

NarkyBark posted:

They need to make a movie about the start of the Klingon war already. It's got built-in villians, opportunities for a decent plot (diplomacy gone bad) and starship action. Is it too obvious?

Lemme tell you about a little thing called Axanar.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Rhyno posted:

Like missionary?

Lol just lol if you think sex position isn't what I meant. We're talking about Kirk here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Apollodorus posted:

Lol just lol if you think sex position isn't what I meant. We're talking about Kirk here.

I'm glad we're on the same page.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

NarkyBark posted:

As someone who does not like the Beasties at all I wish they would stop going back to that well. Hated it in 09 and it gets worse every time. Thought the resolution was dumb.

Actually, it's dope.

That whole part was a pretty great payoff for its use in the first one. I like that Kirk's appreciation for Beastie Boys is A Thing in the canon now.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

LesterGroans posted:

Actually, it's dope.

That whole part was a pretty great payoff for its use in the first one. I like that Kirk's appreciation for Beastie Boys is A Thing in the canon now.

I'm looking forward to him, Bones & Spock recreating a scene from The Final Frontier with roasting marshmallows and a sing-along of Intergalactic.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

NarkyBark posted:

gently caress if it didn't make more sense than Nero's motivation however, I *still* don't understand what his deal was.

Nero's motivation is pretty much the most basic villain plot of any Star Trek movie/episode. He sees it as the Federation in general and Spock specifically let Romulus get destroyed, killing Nero's family, so he decides to blow up Spock's ancestral planets as pre-revenge.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Did they ever explain why Romulus wasn't able to evacuate from a supernova that travels at the speed of light?

They'd have years at least to pick up and move.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Something about subspace, probably.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nitrousoxide posted:

Did they ever explain why Romulus wasn't able to evacuate from a supernova that travels at the speed of light?

Not a :techno: one, but it sounded like the Federation said "don't worry, we got this" with the Red Matter and then they hosed it up.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Apollodorus posted:

Vice Admiral

Kirk was mistaken about what Vice Admiral duties covered. He thought he'd be in charge of all the vice.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Panfilo posted:

Since the actor died, are they going to write Chekov out of future films or just use a different actor?

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

NarkyBark posted:

I'm actually okay with the limited casual mention or appearance of Klingons for now. I think it'll be another movie or two of buildup before we get anything intense with the Klingons.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Saw it last night in non-3d

Was really, really expecting it to be poo poo after the first trailer. Was pleasantly surprised by how not-poo poo it was. Yes there were plot-holes big enough to drive the Big E's fat rear end through but all in all it was fun, and you can tell that the script was written by a fan, someone with knowledge of the series.

I think it stands alone, you don't need to have even seen Into Darkness. And I'm SO GODDAMN HAPPY they didn't re-use a story that'd been done before.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

General Dog posted:

It's a shame we had to abandon Checkov on Blowjob Planet

I knew some freaky poo poo went down on Delta IV!

NarkyBark posted:

If it's not the next one I'll be shocked, and I'm not even talking because of my cockamamie cycle idea. I think we only have one or two more movies left with this cast and there's a pretty big "hey uh we have a cold war going on with the klingons" thing left wide open for them to exploit. Not to mention it's actually been a while since we've had major klingon involvement and it's an automatic storyline "hook".

Anyhow, a couple more random thoughts about Beyond:

• It didn't surprise me to learn they cut some stuff out from the gay Sulu thing (perhaps in deference to George Takei's objection?) because as is Sulu's supposed lover might well be an uncle or something (this is an odd case where it would actually have been more convincing if it were not another human of the same ethnicity, where they could be read as relatives).

• This has the first fat guy who was below middle age or wasn't an alien I can think of in Star Trek. Hell, I was actually under the impression that obesity simply wasn't a thing in the 23rd century, or at the very least that Starfleet had fitness requirements of everyone under a certain age.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

lizardman posted:

I knew some freaky poo poo went down on Delta IV!

If it's not the next one I'll be shocked, and I'm not even talking because of my cockamamie cycle idea. I think we only have one or two more movies left with this cast and there's a pretty big "hey uh we have a cold war going on with the klingons" thing left wide open for them to exploit. Not to mention it's actually been a while since we've had major klingon involvement and it's an automatic storyline "hook".

Anyhow, a couple more random thoughts about Beyond:

• It didn't surprise me to learn they cut some stuff out from the gay Sulu thing (perhaps in deference to George Takei's objection?) because as is Sulu's supposed lover might well be an uncle or something (this is an odd case where it would actually have been more convincing if it were not another human of the same ethnicity, where they could be read as relatives).

• This has the first fat guy who was below middle age or wasn't an alien I can think of in Star Trek. Hell, I was actually under the impression that obesity simply wasn't a thing in the 23rd century, or at the very least that Starfleet had fitness requirements of everyone under a certain age.

That guy probably has the cushiest job in the Federation. Its probably so quiet most of the time its like Homer Simpson at his workstation, just kickin' back eating space donuts.

It kind of reminded me of the Captain from Wall-E, who was in charge of a system so automated he really didn't have to do anything.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

lizardman posted:

I get pretty pissed when I see Greg Grunberg in movies/tv because he's really just there because he's friends with J.J. Abrams. It's total nepotism and he sticks out like a sore thumb and would not be cast normally in whatever role he gets. For some reason, even though he knows he's going to be seen in major motion pictures, he hasn't been slimming down, but chunking up instead.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

korusan posted:

I'm actually okay with the limited casual mention or appearance of Klingons for now. I think it'll be another movie or two of buildup before we get anything intense with the Klingons.

:agreed: Plus I feel like beyond finally got us a Trek crew as explorers again, I don't want to lose that right away with some big war story.

I'd be okay with one of those stories from TOS where the Enterprise and a Klingon ship are competing to claim some sort of frontier resource, though.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Even have it the backdrop for something more interesting. Who gives a poo poo about the war with the Klingons? Have the war be causing other problems in space like what happened sometimes in TOS. Remember Errand of Mercy? I'd even take a feature length tribble movie over a big dumb loud war movie.

Why did the Federation not care about the Prime Directive when they went to Organia? Was it because the Klingons were gonna be there anyways?

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 26, 2016

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Panfilo posted:

That guy probably has the cushiest job in the Federation. Its probably so quiet most of the time its like Homer Simpson at his workstation, just kickin' back eating space donuts.

It kind of reminded me of the Captain from Wall-E, who was in charge of a system so automated he really didn't have to do anything.

Yeah, I don't know if that particular character being hefty was the idea from the get-go, but there was definitely some thought put into it, even if it was just "this is the only role my chunky friend makes sense in".

JazzFlight posted:

I get pretty pissed when I see Greg Grunberg in movies/tv because he's really just there because he's friends with J.J. Abrams. It's total nepotism and he sticks out like a sore thumb and would not be cast normally in whatever role he gets. For some reason, even though he knows he's going to be seen in major motion pictures, he hasn't been slimming down, but chunking up instead.

Hey, there's gotta be chunky actors to fill chunky roles, else you have to get more slim actors donning fat suits or doing "extreme" method-acting diets.

That said, I've been suspecting Abrams has been disproportionately hiring people that he "likes" for a while now, though I'm aware what tipped me off to it probably sounds silly and not particularly credible:

The men are almost never attractive in his movies. The hottest dude in The Force Awakens is a 70-year-old Han Solo, for Pete's sake! And when there was some complaints of the Carol Marcus cheesecake in Into Darkness, he responded he'd meant to do some equal-opportunity fanservice with a shot of Benedict Cumberbatch showering - really? I know Cumberbatch has his fans but beefcake the dude is NOT.

Even when his movies have attractive actors they tend not to come off so in his movies. Poe in TFA was surely meant to be the dashing type and Oscar Isaac is a handsome dude, but the way he's done up in the movie he looks like some nerd's guess at what a hot guy looks like. And I don't think it's a coincidence Chris Pine's Kirk immediately jumps up a notch in the looks department the moment Abrams isn't in the director's chair.

Anyhow, hope that didn't alien anybody but it really does give me the impression that Abrams is this big awkward dork that likes to hire other big awkward dorks so he can hang out with his big awkward dork friends.

lizardman fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 26, 2016

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
Saw this last night. I guess it's OK, but man is it over-written. They just took no chances that the audience would be able to piece anything together themselves or would fill in minor holes with their imagination. I think there were actually a dozen-plus instances of "show minor object, then minor object becomes plot device within next 15 minutes" or "throw-away line is actually important expository information 15 minutes later". It was very annoying and formulaic, I expect a lot more out of a Trek movie than that.

Beastie Boys was pretty funny/cool though.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Alibaba and HuaHua financed STB. I wonder how that effected the production choices of this movie.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

Automatic Slim posted:

Alibaba and HuaHua financed STB. I wonder how that effected the production choices of this movie.

It's probably why Sulu and his husband's kiss was cut.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

It's not like they couldn't make a China cut and a western cut?

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Automatic Slim posted:

^ I think they came in after production actually wrapped or close to it, so probably not a whole lot. Paramount was probably looking to spread the risk a bit (since Beyond had been tracking to underperform its predecessors for a while now) and get cozier with Chinese business partners.

That reminds me, I know Beyond has posted decent enough numbers and the studio is probably just happy right now the movie didn't bomb, but in the overall picture I'm sure they view this as a bit of a misfire. It didn't get a ton of play (because behind-the-scenes studio politics for Star Trek isn't really "sexy Hollywood gossip") but there was definitely some drama in the creation of this movie: remember that the original creative team straight-up quit, and Simon Pegg not shying away from talking about studio pressures on his script is some smoke-there's-fire poo poo. It says a lot to me how quickly they've moved on to the next film without him.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

lizardman posted:

The men are almost never attractive in his movies. The hottest dude in The Force Awakens is a 70-year-old Han Solo, for Pete's sake!
John Boyega and Oscar Isaacs are both attractive.

I believe that the phrase you were looking for is "not white".

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Domnhall Gleeson isn't that bad looking either, at least my wife didn't think he was when we saw Brooklyn.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

FilthyImp posted:

John Boyega and Oscar Isaacs are both attractive.

I believe that the phrase you were looking for is "not white".

I was being a bit cheeky - of course I'd gently caress either of them before a 70 year old, even if it is Harrison Ford. My apologies if I was being too harsh. I'm not sure how serious you are here but it really did hurt my feelings.

(Side note, Oscar Isaacs not being a white guy is genuinely news to me).

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I watched a few TOS episodes over the past few days. Everyone rightfully praises Karl Urban for nailing McCoy, but you know what? I think Chris Pine really nailed Kirk. Like the way he moves his body, gestures, even the way some things are spoken, he really got it.

For some reason though, I was kinda turned off by Quinto in this movie. He did fine in the other two, but something just felt off in this one. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Chris Pine is nothing like Shatner's Kirk. Shatner would chew the scenery, spit it out and chew it again. But Pine was way better in this movie than the previous two. Maybe it was the script or presenting Kirk as more mature and well rounded this time.

It seems if the original character had an accent then the succeeding actors followed the original more closely. The others had looser interpretations.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Chairman Capone posted:

Nero's motivation is pretty much the most basic villain plot of any Star Trek movie/episode. He sees it as the Federation in general and Spock specifically let Romulus get destroyed, killing Nero's family, so he decides to blow up Spock's ancestral planets as pre-revenge.

Nah, his motivation is stupid. Revenge against the Federation for being unable to save his home planet, which was doomed anyway? That's stupid and makes no sense.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Subyng posted:

Nah, his motivation is stupid. Revenge against the Federation for being unable to save his home planet, which was doomed anyway? That's stupid and makes no sense.

It seems like it was just grief that transformed into madness, which is serviceable enough, but not really appropriate for a Romulan. What I really would've liked to have seen was that the Romulans hindered Spock's progress so that he would fail so Nero would go crazy, go back in time, and destroy the Federation. Now that's a Romulan plot.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Subyng posted:

Revenge is, by its very nature, stupid and makes no sense. It's kinda the point.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

Revenge is, by its very nature, stupid and makes no sense. It's kinda the point.

People seek revenge because they feel they have been wronged. Khan's revenge against Kirk was for being left to die on an inhospitable planet. Nero's revenge against the Federation was for...what? They didn't do anything to him.There's no basis for feelings of revenge against the Feds. That's why it doesn't make sense. And sure you could say he was driven insane by grief but that's just lazy writing.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I really liked how in this one the cast didn't look as beautiful as they have in the others.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

poo poo they would have had like 100 years if Nero had just gone and warned them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Subyng posted:

People seek revenge because they feel they have been wronged. Khan's revenge against Kirk was for being left to die on an inhospitable planet. Nero's revenge against the Federation was for...what? They didn't do anything to him.

That's literally the point. They didn't do anything and they should've.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

They brought back Michael Giacchino again to do the soundtrack, a man who loves his puns when it comes to titling his music. But I have to ask: what the hell is the pun in "Jaylah Damage"? I think it plays during the scene where Jaylah meets Scotty and rescues him from those thugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

It seems like it was just grief that transformed into madness, which is serviceable enough, but not really appropriate for a Romulan. What I really would've liked to have seen was that the Romulans hindered Spock's progress so that he would fail so Nero would go crazy, go back in time, and destroy the Federation. Now that's a Romulan plot.

Especially if it was a disgraced Tal Shiar still reeling from getting their rear end kicked by the Dominion and thinking if they went back in time via the still stupidly named red-matter they could best both the Federation AND the Dominion. Now that's a Romulan plot.

• Locked thread