Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Problem description:
I cannot connect to the internet via ethernet cable today. Last night I could.

My computer was off today during a thunderstorm which caused the power to flicker/surge/go out at my house for a split second.

After I finished with work on my work laptop I went to turn on my home desktop. The computer turns on fine, sound/graphics/HDDs all in working condition. But the no internet symbol appears in the taskbar. The "Troubleshooting" function tells me "Windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter"

Attempted fixes:
- First I tried resetting my cable modem and router.
- Then I tried turning it off again and back on again (it being the PC).
- Opened up case, cannot see any blown fuses or obvious damage/scorch marks anywhere including the silver box that houses the ethernet connection as well as 2xUSB ports.
- Tested USB ports with USB mouse, works in both.
- Also tested with my VOIP phone and it gets good dial tone and setup via the same port that my PC was connected to. Meanwhile the PC when connected to the VOIP port still has no connection.
- Swapped out ethernet cable from wall jack to PC with another cable. No dice.
- Pulled out ASUS mobo CD, ran a Realtek diagnostic utility that tells me "Please install correct driver"
- Went to Control Panel > Programs & Features > I can see "Realtek Ethernet Controller Driver" installed as it has been since 7/31/13 apparently.
- Ran DXDiag, not sure if it normally would show anything for networking but don't see anything standing out here

Recent changes: Have you made any changes to your system/configuration recently that might have caused the problem?
Per Windows Update, last update installs were on 7/10. I have been playing online games and using the internet since then almost every day with no problems till now. No other changes.
--

Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

System specs:
AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2GHz
ASUS M4A87T AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard
EVGA GTX 960
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
Corsair TX750
Corsair 120 GB CSSD-F120GB2-BRKT (Windows and programs on this one) + some regular drives for data

Router is a Cisco Linksys E2500
Modem is an Arris Surfboard SB6121 (Both my phone, my work comp, work phone, wife's laptop, and PS3 streaming netflix are all working just fine).

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Is my next best bet to buy a cheapo ethernet card and see if that works?

I assume if that doesn't work next step would be replacing the mobo?

Should I waste an entire day + DL time for games/programs on reinstalling Windows?

TIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
This is pretty common, try shutting the system down, unplugging the power cord, pressing the power button to clear the capacitors (lights should flash), then letting it sit for 30 minutes to an hour. Then plug it back in, turn it on, and see if the Ethernet adapter works. The adapter remains powered if the system is turned off so you need to do those steps to reset it. If that doesn't fix it buy a new PCI-E network adapter.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Just tried this. Didn't work but I only waited 30 min. Doing it again and waiting an hour.

I have a line on a free NIC from a friend that I'm picking up tomorrow. Plan to buy lunch for him as a thankyou.

Will update for science.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The longer downtime didn't fix it. Just installed the free NIC and saw a beautiful "drivers successfully installed" when I fired up windows and now I'm downloading all the gigs.

• Locked thread