Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Latest update: 12 - 08:30-11:00: Fruitless Search

What is this?

Devil Survivor is an SRPG interpretation of Atlus's flagship RPG series: Shin Megami Tensei. Released in 2009 for the Nintendo DS, the game was fairly successful, garnering praise for a unique battle system, storyline and art style compared to its contemporaries, which stems from incorporating SMT systems into a turn based strategy game. It was successful enough to get a sequel that's pretty much bigger and better in almost every way, which Dragonatrix LPed here. I still prefer the first game just a tiny bit more, overall though, but they're both among my favorite games of all time.

SMT games are usually standard turn based RPGs set in modern-day Japan, overrun by demons that you subjugate, with a massive focus on hitting weaknesses to wipe out your enemies before they wipe you out doing the same. This game incorporates that into an SRPG by having each skirmish be a mini-SMT fight where you and your demons engage in a 1-2 round battle where you have to try your best to wipe out the opposing team before they wipe you out. If you fail to do so before you run out of turns, then the enemies will remain on the map.

The story is standard SMT fare, demons have broken loose in Tokyo and now you have to figure out how to survive while also dealing with various plots to change the order of society from various organizations. Like most SMT games, this game has multiple endings; 5 of them, in fact! Technically there's 6, but one of them's the exact same as another.

This game ended up ported to the 3DS as Devil Survivor Overclocked, which back-ported a bunch of improvements made to the sequel, Devil Survivor 2, and also featured a full dub for pretty much every line of dialogue in the game, save for those said by demons. Overclocked also features new extended endings for three of this game's original endings. For the most part though, this LP will be of the original DS version because it's easier for me to record, but I will be able to show off Overclocked content whenever it becomes relevant.

How will this be run?

The LP's gonna be told through screenshots with accompanying audio tracks for whatever's playing in-game. I also have access to a complete dump of Overclocked, including the dub, so I'll do my best to stitch together a radio-drama version of every event so you can listen along. I'm also going to use a max money cheat to cut down on grinding time to hopefully get updates out faster.

Because this game allows you to choose how the day pans out, I'll leave the option of choosing how to spend our time up to thread votes for the first run, then I'll take control for NG+ up until we get to a route split. For example, if the thread ends up voting for ending A the first run through, for the next one, I'll direct events so that we can see new stuff and make sure we can have more endings available. Once we hit the choice for which ending we want to go on though, then I'll open up the votes again for the rest of that route. You can follow me on twitter here if you want to know when I push updates to this thread.

Dialogue from the game will look like this:

: Words, words, words.

Expository text from the game will look like this:

Words, words, words.

Interstitial commentary from me will look like this:

Words, words, words.

Also:

:siren:NO SPOILERS:siren:

Do not talk about anything that hasn't come up yet.

I think that about wraps up what I have to say, so let's survive.

Table of Contents

Day Before: An End to the Ordinary
01 - Intro
02 - 16:00-17:00: Meeting Naoya
03 - 17:30-18:00: Demon Summoning Program
04 - 18:30-19:00: Chasing Naoya
05 - 19:30-End: Aoyama Cemetery

Day 1: Tokyo Lockdown
06 - 08:30-10:00: Lockdown
07 - 10:30-11:30: Blackout Blues
08 - 12:00-12:30: Chasing Naoya... Again
09 - 13:00-14:30: Wendigo
10 - 15:00-17:00: Saving Haru
11 - 17:30-End: Miasma

Day 2: Any Way Out
12 - 08:30-11:00: Fruitless Search

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Reserved

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Opening

This is the intro for the game and the song that plays is Reset, performed by Aya Ishihara. In universe, I believe this song is performed by a major character in the story, but we'll get to that in due time. The 3DS port actually has a different intro that honestly feels like an excuse to play around with stereoscopic 3D. By the way, the new intro is one of two or three places in the entire game where Overclocked actually makes use of 3D.

Intro

Most updates will have links to the Overclocked dub in some way, shape or form. This first part is pretty much just a straight video, so I dubbed it over that.

Man is now a race of some power.
You, son of man,
must face the power you hold.
And you must face your destiny as well...

We open on a mysterious voice telling us of mankind's power and of our impending destiny as the camera pans downward on a winding red string.

The string fades and the scene switches to this crosswalk as a girl recieves a phone call from a friend. In the background, a man in a suit can be seen walking down the stairs.

: Hey, Yuzu. I just got an email from Naoya. He wants to know if we can hang out tomorrow!

: Naoya? Isn’t that ”his” cousin? I should be free tomorrow...

I am your judgement.
I sundered the tongue of your fathers and shattered their arrogant power.

Well that's pretty telling of who this voice could belong to. If you aren't familiar with biblical stories or how SMT stories tend to play out, don't worry, we'll cross that bridge some ways down the road.

At a different crosswalk, a different girl is showing some self confidence issues.

: Just take your time. ”The language of song is boundless.” Do what your heart tells you...

The scene cuts to a mysterious looking facility as we overlook a dialogue between two characters.

: I’ve done nothing. The ancient common tongue summoned them. God’s no friend of mine.

Fun fact, this line was one of a few that got retranslated for Overclocked. You can hear it in the provided video above!

If you have the will to challenge your destiny of battle, son of man, state your name...

The camera finishes panning down on this young man and it's revealed that the red string we've been seeing throughout the entire scene is just the cable for his headphones. Still, it looked pretty cool framed like that.

So, naming! Most SMT games allow you to name the main character and in some cases, allow you to assign them a nickname! For the sake of the first update, I'll provide a name, but I'll leave it up to thread vote what our protagonist will be called.

This'll do. The first time I heard about this game, I thought it was an SMT take on The World Ends with You, which features a superficially similar premise, but since both protagonists from this game and TWEWY are known in-universe for their headphones, I thought it fitting to name this guy after Neku Sakuraba. As far as I can tell, the DeSu1 protagonist doesn't have a "canon" name; the closest there is is "Kazuya Minegishi" from the manga.

You who have a will,
fear the numbers your eyes shall see.
Fear the time left...

The narration ends on an ominous note as we're treated to a flyover of Tokyo before we get a title card for today.

Mid-August...

The summer of your second year of high school is almost over.

People visiting Tokyo have begun traveling back home.

It feels as if there are fewer people about in Shibuya...

years ago, suddenly called for you to meet him outside 901...

Probably a bit warm this time of year for a black sweater like that; still, this is our hero and to be honest, I feel like he takes a lot of design cues from the Persona 3 main character in that they both have blue hair and have big headphones.

Boy: Hey, Phones! Over here!

A boy carrying a laptop computer runs up to you.

This is Atsuro Kihara. He's Neku's best friend and he's also a goon. I believe the two of them met through Neku's cousin Naoya, who Atsuro considers his teacher. Atsuro is voiced by Spike Spencer, who is probably best known for not getting in the goddamn robot (Shinji Ikari from Evangelion).

: Real nice of Naoya to make us meet him outside on a hot day like this, isn’t it?

: So, how’s your summer been? We usually meet at school, so it feels like it’s been forever. Is everything good?

This is what a dialogue choice looks like, the game repeats the question for you and offers you options, pretty standard stuff. I'll usually have the option I selected highlighted in these screenshots.

: Ah, that’s the Phones I know! Young guys like us need to be full of energy!

: Still, I couldn’t think of anything to do, so I spent all day on my laptop. Haha!

See? Total goon. That said he's still one of the more likable characters from this game.

: This is great timing though, man. I just ran into this problem with my coding. It has me completely stumped, so I was about to go ask Naoya if he could help...

Girl: Oh, there you are! I’ve been looking for you guys!

: Don't call me "Yoohoo!"

This is Yuzu Tanikawa. She's a close friend of Neku and Atsuro and is implied to have a bit of a crush on the former. Yuzu isn't a very popular character from this game for reasons that will become apparent much later. She's voiced by Melissa Fahn, according to the Megami Tensei wikia, who was the voice of Neptune in Hyperdimension Neptunia and Maribelle in Fire Emblem Awakening. Fahn's also been in theater and apparently had a role in Night at the Roxbury?

Atsuro's little nickname for her is actually different in the original Japanese. His nickname is still wordplay, but it's kanji-based wordplay, so he calls her by a word that either shares the same kanji or looks similar, "Sodeko," which means "sleeve girl."

: My name is Yuzu! Sheesh, will you stop calling me that stupid nickname!? Even boys at school call me ”Yoohoo,” and it’s your fault!

: Hehe, it’s not that bad, is it? It’s a friendly nickname!

: And it’s not just our class. Some of the teachers actually think your name is ”Yoohoo.”

I find that a little hard to believe with a nickname like that. At least "Sodeko" is an actual name, I believe.

: That’s because people like you keep calling me that!

: Haha, it’s working!

He keeps calling me ”Yoohoo”...!

Where's Naoya?

: Huh...? Oh, that’s right! I ran into Naoya a moment ago, and he asked me to give these to Atsuro and you. He said that something’s come up and he won’t be able to make it.

: Aww, what’s up with that? Naoya stood us up! Wait, what did he want you to give us?

: Here, take them. They were a pain to carry around in my bag, too.

Yuzu opens her bag...

So these devices look like DS lites! That's no longer the case in Overclocked as they were redesigned to look like OG 3DSes! Here's a screencap from Overclocked to prove it.

: Aren’t these those Communication Player things? I’ve seen commercials for them before. They’re like, ”Play with people around the world!”

: Oh, you know about them, Yoohoo? That’s exactly what these are. The name ”Communication Player” is a real mouthful, so people just call them COMPs. They have email and a web browser, so they’re more like cellphones than game systems.

This line is slightly more applicable in Overclocked since 3DS systems actually do have a proper web browser. Still, the idea of using a DS as a PDA is really funny to me. Also, SMT vets will be familiar with the term COMP here. COMPs are a series staple, usually in the form of a big-rear end computer you wear on your wrist. In this game, they went for a design that isn't completely ridiculous.

: Huh... Is that so?

: Naoya said, ”You’ll all need these. Don’t let go of them.”

: Eh? ”You’ll all need”...? Well, there are three of them.

: ...Still, why would we need these? I mean, I’ve got a COMP back at my own-- Huh?

: What the...? I’ve never seen this menu. Did he homebrew this?

: What...? Do you mean he made this himself? Is that even possible?

: Huh? Don’t you know, Yoohoo? Naoya’s famous among us programmers. He’s a genius! Something like this would be no problem for him.

: Huh... I had no idea. Is he really that good?

: Hmm... I can’t open this folder. Looks like it’s protected...

: Protected...? You mean, it’s set so other people can’t mess with it? We can’t look inside, then.

: Heh heh, that’s right! Good thing I brought my laptop along...

Atsuro connects the COMP to his laptop and begins typing furiously...

: ...Huh!? H-Hey, Atsuro! What’re you doing!?

: Heh heh! What does it look like? I’m gonna hack this folder wide open.

: You’re hacking it...? Hey, Naoya’s gonna be angry if you do that!

: Huuuuh? Are you sure about this?

: You don’t get it, Yoohoo! Naoya’s my teacher. If he took the time to call me up and give it to me...

: That means he wants me to break his protection scheme! It’s like a friendly greeting!

: That doesn’t make any sense! Why can’t he say ”hello” like a normal person?

: Let’s take a look here... What’s his encryption scheme this time? ...Heh heh heh~ Isn’t this intense!?

: No! Only someone like you would find this exciting, Atsuro!

It's true, I spent a few days trying to figure out how to crack open the files for this game and Overclocked and I was really happy when I got pretty much everything I wanted out of them.

: You can at least check your mail for now. Here, these are yours.

I am a little concerned about how all of the COMPs have our email credentials on them already, but that's not terribly important, I suppose.

Atsuro gave you a COMP!

on the corpse are consistent with an attack by a large carnivorous beast.

(2) A large explosion will occur in Minato-ku Aoyama at 19:00. The cause is unknown.

(3) At 21:00, a blackout will affect the entire Tokyo metropolitan area.

Have a nice day.

: At around 16:00 in Shibuya-ku Aoyama, a man... will be killed?! He’ll be attacked by some carnivorous beast...?! What kind of news is this? That’s so creepy...

This is the closest we're probably going to get to an option that says "Hey, these times haven't happened yet."

: Hey! That’s not the point!

Of course, Yuzu misses our point entirely...

: It also said there’ll be a blackout in Tokyo today... What is this? It says it’s today’s news... But none of this has happened today.

You guys are killing me here.

Doc V from the future looked at the Japanese script and clarified what that last option actually means: Phones is pointing out that the very last character is written in Katakana instead of Hiragana for some reason. That really is going off on a completely weird tangent! On another note, the mail reads more like a mad-libs prompt with nouns just slotted in as appropriate. That's quite a bit of nuance lost in translation!

: Why would Naoya put a lock on this...? Ooh, maybe it’s code for something! Aoyama, Aoyama...

: Hmm... Naoya’s place is near there, but is that important...?

: That’s enough! This is way too creepy!

: I bet Naoya knew you would tinker with the COMPs and played a trick on us.

: I don’t know... He’s amazingly smart, so I think he must have meant for this to happen. Hmm... I can’t figure it out from just this. I’ll try the rest of these files, too.

: I’m gonna go find somewhere I can think. Go kill some time. Oh, you can take the COMPs! Some of their functions still work, so you might as well try them out. See ya later, okay?

Atsuro leaves the area to take a closer look into the COMP...

: I bet it’s all just a prank. Atsuro always acts like such a kid with stuff like this!

: Um... What should we do, Phones? Why don’t we wander around until Atsuro’s done?

You and Yuzu leave the 901...

: We can go kill some time in Shibuya, or go somewhere else. I’m okay either way, Phones!

Choose the location you’d like to go to next to continue the story events.
Press the X Button to open the COMP menu, where you can save the game, among other things.
The help text at the bottom of the lower screen describes the currently highlighted option.

This is the map screen. On the top screen, we can see who is available to hang out with at the current time and on the bottom, we can see a list of places we can go to. At every location, we can look around to see what's there, we can talk to the locals and we can talk with the party. For the most part, those three options are fluff and I probably won't cover them unless they're directly tied to a story event, which may or may not be the case later in the game. The little person icon on some area names signifies that we can hang out with someone listed on the top screen there and the clock icon tells us that doing that event will take up 30 in-game minutes. For now, we can go hang out with Atsuro some more in Shibuya or we can go to Shinjuku to see that mysterious purple-haired man.

:siren:Cast your vote for who we should go hang out with! Also, vote on a name and nickname for our hero!:siren:

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 22, 2016

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Oh this is going to be good.

Visit ???, and our hero is Kazuya "Hero" Minegi.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

MightyPretenders posted:

Visit ???, and our hero is Kazuya Minegi.

Going with this, but for the handle Kazuya, since that is what the manga uses and the manga is freaking awesome. And the first 6 volumes are out in English, so you guys should check it out.

As for the thread, good luck. Maybe the 5th times the charm?

Or have there been even more attempts to LP this?

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

I was always more of a fan for this game more than its sequel, but that'll be for later, of course. For now, let's talk to that guy in Shinjuku.

And I'll go with this for a name

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Oh hey, you salvaged this off the scrap heap. :v:

But seriously, I always liked this game more than DeSu2 even though objectively it's worse in pretty much every way.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

BlazeEmblem posted:

Going with this, but for the handle Kazuya, since that is what the manga uses and the manga is freaking awesome. And the first 6 volumes are out in English, so you guys should check it out.

As for the thread, good luck. Maybe the 5th times the charm?

Or have there been even more attempts to LP this?

Third attempt. The second one was alao mine but I had a shiiiiiit workflow and manual transcription was the worst. I have access to the game's script now so it shouldn't be nearly as bad.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I've been waiting for someone to tackle this game after the previous Devil Survivor LP. Here's hoping... no, mustn't jinx it.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Aw, hell yeah. Good luck with it this time!

I was also originally sold on this by the similar setting/idea to TWEWY (not really, but that's what I was told), named him Neku too. And...I was disappointed. I actually stopped around halfway through because it just wasn't what I was looking for.

A year or so later I picked it up again and blazed through it. I love the Devil Survivor games, and I'll have a lot to say about it, especially how it lines up against the second one - there are quite a few strong points on both sides.

I'll also say that I loooooove Demon of Darkness, even if this is one of two places in the game it actually plays.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Here's hoping this one pans out this time. You'd be I was surprised by how many PMs I got from people asking if it was okay if they did this game during the DeSu2 thread. Unsurprisingly, none of them materialised.

theshim posted:

I was also originally sold on this by the similar setting/idea to TWEWY (not really, but that's what I was told)

Given some of the stuff I've seen related to this game, you're clearly not the only one.

MightyPretenders posted:

Seconding this, because it (and other truncations of Minegishi) are what I go with every time I play anyway.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MightyPretenders posted:

I can't think of anything so I'll just back this vote.

Also, could you put some pauses on the dialogues, ChaosArgate? I had to go and pause manually every time I needed to read something, it was kind of annoying, and the voices flow really awkwardly when one line follows another that fast, at least for me.

I have no knowledge of this game beyond what was shown in earlier LP attempts but it does look quite nice so I'll follow this as I followed the previous ones. That said, ugh, can we get this artist to never draw a woman again? He doesn't seem to have any idea how breasts actually look and designs like Yuzu's look terrible.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I have no knowledge of this game beyond what was shown in earlier LP attempts but it does look quite nice so I'll follow this as I followed the previous ones. That said, ugh, can we get this artist to never draw a woman again? He doesn't seem to have any idea how breasts actually look and designs like Yuzu's look terrible.
Don't worry, the female anatomy issues are even worse in the second game! :shepface:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Remember, if you haven't already, vote for a name and event to see!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also, could you put some pauses on the dialogues, ChaosArgate? I had to go and pause manually every time I needed to read something, it was kind of annoying, and the voices flow really awkwardly when one line follows another that fast, at least for me.

Can do! It's a little busy work and there's no way to automate adding gaps in the audio tracks in Premiere, but I can do it easily enough by tapping the down key and , in rapid succession.

theshim posted:

Don't worry, the female anatomy issues are even worse in the second game! :shepface:

Exhibit A:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I don't care for the name, but we're sticking with the nickname of Phones because that's seriously the most fitting. Also, visit ??? first. Also, also. Atsuro is best bro ever.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Ah, Devil Survivor, aka The Pokemon Deconstruction. Going with Kazuya "Phones" Minegi.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Here are the current totals for the vote, I think I'm gonna call the vote around noon EST tomorrow.

code:
Name:
Neku Sakura   - |
Kazuya Minegi - |||||

Nickname:
Phones - |||
Hero   - |||
Kazuya - |

Visit:
Atsuro  - 
??? - |||||
In the event of a tie, I reserve the right to make a tiebreaker vote.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Junpei posted:

Ah, Devil Survivor, aka The Pokemon Deconstruction. Going with Kazuya "Phones" Minegi.

I'll use this vote as well.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
All I care about is that we pick up Phones.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Nth-ing Kazuya Minegi, but with handle Kazuya.

Aaand let's visit Atsuro, even though that vote is already a landslide.

SkinCrawling
Oct 9, 2012

Voting for Kazuya "Phones" Minegi and visit ???

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ah, cool, an LP of the first one. I've been curious about these games but not enough to buy one because I can't wrap my head around how to play them.

I could've sworn there was one of those for Makoto too.

And I don't care about the name but I can't resist suggesting something dumb so Koinku "Hanzo" Araki.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 21, 2016

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Alright, time to call it. Looks like Kazuya "Phones" Minegi and Yuzu will be going to Shinjuku and seeing what ???'s deal is all about.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Ah, cool, an LP of the first one. I've been curious about these games but not enough to buy one because I can't wrap my head around how to play them.

I could've sworn there was one of those for Makoto too.
Why does the line from her collarbone and upper torso not match that from her lower torso, even loosely? I could understand (and roll my eyes) if her abdomen went back down to something skinny, or if inversely her shoulders were stockier, but those two juxtaposed are just inconsistent.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Alright, the thread has voted, Kazuya Minegi will be visiting Shinjuku. Also, get used to Action, it's the general exploration theme of this game. I quite like it!

Shinjuku, Kannagi-cho...

As usual, Japan’s largest shopping district is bustling.

: Now... What should we do? Wanna go watch a movie, or do some karaoke? Hmm... Atsuro might call us, so we should go somewhere with cellphone reception...

These robes seem a bit weird. They're also probably kinda stuffy, considering it's mid-August.

A man who appears to be the leader is making a speech from a podium...

This is our mysterious fellow. I'm not sure that we actually learn his name in the game, but for now, I'll just call him The Founder. He's voiced by Jamieson Price, who is known for his extremely deep and booming baritone voice. He's Iron Tager from BlazBlue and my favorite character from Tales of Graces, Malik Caesar.

: Oh, man... What’s with that bunch of weirdos?

: Now, along with our Shomonkai, let us bring the world together. With the power of the Internet, the world will be as one once more...

It's not every day the local religious cult embraces the internet.

: The ”power of the Internet,” huh? Gimme a break... Are you interested in this, Phones?

: Huh... I didn’t think you would be.

: Oh! Uh, sorry. I didn’t mean that in a bad way.

: Well, even I think it’s great how the Internet lets you connect with the world. But all this stuff about gods and bringing the world together... I don’t know. Ugh! Why are we even talking about this? Let’s go somewhere else, Phones!

: Tonight and for the next three days, fellow members who believe in the power of the Internet will gather in Tokyo. All are welcome to take part. Believe in His Majesty and prepare for the ordeal. That is when we shall...

The speech continues...

Well now that that's done, we're railroaded into going to Omotesando with Yuzu, since we're still waiting on Atsuro.

: The stores around here are really fashionable. They’re all, like, so mature, y’know? I used to go to Harajuku all the time, but I always wanted to fit in in Omotesando.

: Hey, do you think I stick out like a sore thumb here?

I have no idea about what the Omotesando styles are, so let's err on the side of caution, I guess.

: Yeah, I see... Just a little longer.

: Don’t you think that Harajuku and Omotesando have different images? Omotesando feels more like Aoyama’s style than Harajuku’s... Speaking of Aoyama... Hey, Phones... What time is it right now?

: 16:30, ugh... I was just thinking about that email in the COMP...

: You know, the one about someone being attacked by a ”carnivorous beast...” It said the attack happened in the Aoyama area, right? It’s around the right time, too...

: Those police cars... They’re heading towards Aoyama... Ah... Ahaha!

: There’s no way that it could be true, right? ......

: Hey... Naoya’s apartment is in Aoyama, right? Shouldn’t we... go check it out?

That's probably a good idea. Hopefully it wasn't Naoya who was attacked!

: Y-Yeah. I’m a little scared... But, he should be okay. Let’s go!

And just like that, we're off to Aoyama!

The scene is roped off by the police, and a crowd of onlookers has gathered.
Someone else who has just arrived approaches you.

: ...I’m surprised to see you, Kazuya. What are you doing here?

This is Naoya Minegi. He's Kazuya's cousin and due to that, whatever Kazuya's last name is is also Naoya's last name. It's good to see that he's safe and sound! He's voiced by Kyle Hebert, who is probably best known for being Adult Gohan from Dragon Ball Z.

: Safe? ...Oh, you mean the incident in the building.

: Th-That’s right! We thought something might have happened to you, Naoya! That weird email you made us read made us all jumpy!

: I see... You’re right... Sorry about that. I didn’t mean to frighten you. The person who was eaten was a student, like yourselves. He lived next door to me...

That's pretty terrifying. The fact that Naoya's so calm is something else though.

: He was eaten...? No way! Is what that email said really true?! But, we got the email before the incident happened, so... Phones, what does this all mean?!

: ...I see. You’re saying that I sent the email, then I carried out the murder...

That's... a lot to extrapolate from me saying it was a warning. When I picked it, I meant it as 'it was a warning of future events,' not that Naoya's a serial killer.

Doc V from the future clarified the 'warning' choice as well! The word that got translated as 'warning' is a catch-all for a bomb or death threat, so the connotations of that line are more like 'the email was the actual culprit announcing his crime in advance.' That makes a lot more sense!

: That does seem like a logical explanation. But, no, that’s not what happened. I understand why the two of you came here, Kazuya. But, our meeting here is an accident. We shouldn’t be talking like this. Hurry and find Atsuro immediately. It’s going to begin soon...

: Begin...?! What are you talking about?

Naoya looks away, and he seems to have no intention of answering any more questions.

: ...There isn’t much time left. Listen carefully to me, both of you. Do not turn away from what is about to happen now. Do not be afraid to stand up against it. That is when the door of truth will open... Overcome your fate.

: Oh...! W-Wait a second!

Naoya walks away...

: ...He’s gone. Something... didn’t seem right with him, huh? I wonder what’s wrong.

Just then, your cellphone rings. The caller ID says ”Atsuro”...

: Yo! I figured out how to crack the encryption on those COMPs! I need yours so I can unlock them. Meet me in front of the Electric Museum in Shibuya!

: Um... Why don’t we meet up with Atsuro? I’m all confused from everything that’s happened so suddenly... Maybe Atsuro’s figured something out on his end!

And that's where we're gonna stop for now, the next update should be a doozy and I don't want this one to get too big.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 22, 2016

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

Why does the line from her collarbone and upper torso not match that from her lower torso, even loosely? I could understand (and roll my eyes) if her abdomen went back down to something skinny, or if inversely her shoulders were stockier, but those two juxtaposed are just inconsistent.

The artist has... a very tenuous grasp on female anatomy, we'll say.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You have the sore thumb image (with nothing chosen) before that part begins, ChaosArgate.

Also I have no idea how the "warning" choice was meant to make the player think "yes, I'm accusing Naoya of being a cannibal". There isn't a lot of space for text so I can forgive it, but still, it could've been more obvious, especially since the other choice makes Phones look insane with that exclamation mark.

And I'll never get over this person's art, never. He seems to think breasts can defy gravity or something.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Action gets...old. To me, anyway.

One of the major points where the two games match up against each other is the music. For most of the music that you commonly hear - regular battles, just walking around, talking - I think DS2 blows DS1 out of the water, but DS1 crushes it back on the major themes, stuff like big boss fights, plots, final battle-ish music.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

You have the sore thumb image (with nothing chosen) before that part begins, ChaosArgate.

Also I have no idea how the "warning" choice was meant to make the player think "yes, I'm accusing Naoya of being a cannibal". There isn't a lot of space for text so I can forgive it, but still, it could've been more obvious, especially since the other choice makes Phones look insane with that exclamation mark.

Whoops, fixed that and another choice screenshot without an actual option highlighted.

The "warning" choice was probably something that actually did imply Naoya sent out that email in the Japanese version, but I don't actually know for sure.

theshim posted:

Action gets...old. To me, anyway.

One of the major points where the two games match up against each other is the music. For most of the music that you commonly hear - regular battles, just walking around, talking - I think DS2 blows DS1 out of the water, but DS1 crushes it back on the major themes, stuff like big boss fights, plots, final battle-ish music.

I like both soundtracks a lot, but I think I might prefer DeSu2 a little more because there is a lot more variety than this game. Though, the standout tracks from this game are really, really good and I like them more than DeSu2's best tracks.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

For some clarification, were you able to extract audio data from the 3DS version and that's why you're able to include that but not actually record or...?

Artix posted:

But seriously, I always liked this game more than DeSu2 even though objectively it's worse in pretty much every way.

I prefer this game because of the story and setting, even if DeSu2 is mechanically superior. Good time for this LP to spring up, since I just started playing Overclocked.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Genocyber posted:

For some clarification, were you able to extract audio data from the 3DS version and that's why you're able to include that but not actually record or...?

Yup, that's right. I made a dump of my cart, then unpacked it so I could get at the audio files. Turns out everything's stored as a somewhat modified WAV!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I have the Overclocked version of this game, I oughta get around to finishing it one of these days.

It's a lot of fun and since my previous SMT game was Nocturne preceded by the SNES ones, I definitely appreciate the various QoL features in this one.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I believe in the power of the internet

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Oh man, this game is making me miss Tokyo really badly. I might have to play along.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Kanfy posted:

I have the Overclocked version of this game, I oughta get around to finishing it one of these days.

Just...just don't do an 8th Day Route your first time through...oh gently caress me the grind was real on that... :suicide:

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

The "warning" choice was probably something that actually did imply Naoya sent out that email in the Japanese version, but I don't actually know for sure.

I checked the Japanese script and the word that got translated as "warning" was originally 犯行予告, which is basically a catch-all term for death threats, bomb threats etc.
So it doesn't really imply that Naoya sent the mail, but it does imply that whoever did was also the killer, and in Japanese it's way clearer that the choice is about whether or not you think the email is actually predicting the future.

I also looked at the "The text is strange" choice from the first update and in the Japanese script it was Phones pointing out that the last character in the email is written in katakana instead of hiragana for no apparent reason, which, really, is not the point. Also, the mail itself reads way differently in Japanese, the predictions all look like someone was just slotting nouns into a template.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Doc V posted:

I checked the Japanese script and the word that got translated as "warning" was originally 犯行予告, which is basically a catch-all term for death threats, bomb threats etc.
So it doesn't really imply that Naoya sent the mail, but it does imply that whoever did was also the killer, and in Japanese it's way clearer that the choice is about whether or not you think the email is actually predicting the future.

I also looked at the "The text is strange" choice from the first update and in the Japanese script it was Phones pointing out that the last character in the email is written in katakana instead of hiragana for no apparent reason, which, really, is not the point. Also, the mail itself reads way differently in Japanese, the predictions all look like someone was just slotting nouns into a template.

That's really interesting! I've edited those explanations into the posts, so thanks!

Also, update should be done either tonight or tomorrow. It's a lot longer than I thought it would be!

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 22, 2016

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kemix posted:

Just...just don't do an 8th Day Route your first time through...oh gently caress me the grind was real on that... :suicide:

I managed to handle the8th day good chaos route my first time and it was't too bad.

In general I really liked how the game handles the later days as they seem quite a logical result of people being forced to survive what comes later on.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 22, 2016

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I have the Overclocked version of this game, I should finish it, I got pretty far.

Incidentally, I'm European, and you could probably fill a small book with the amount of poo poo wrong with European DSO. Ghostlight are bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I have an update ready but I think I'm gonna push it to the next page.

• Locked thread