Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Bro like 95% of anything internet runs on something that's Unix or Linux based. Sure there are a bunch of idiot weirdo holdouts running IIS and MSSql but that's few and far between.

I'm talking about the OS running on the computers accessing the internet in the first place.

Windows has just under 85% global marketshare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Good, Milo is poopy gently caress oval office

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
smartphones? the gently caress is a smartphone

Lastgirl posted:

we're bored hi :downs:

sup

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
hes not the right kind of gay

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Strudel Man posted:

I think twitter has a quasi-monopoly in precisely what it does, but that's partially because what it does is pretty weird/unique and not actually that useful. And it's almost certainly going to crash and burn before too long because it cannot possibly make money.

The only feature Twitter has over Facebook is that it permits anonymous accounts, which are used by trolls to harass people. It's not the best business plan.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Vince MechMahon posted:

There's no free speech on the internet because every website is a privately run business who can choose who gets in. If you don't want to get banned don't break the rules. Should be a pretty easy concept for members of the Something Awful forums, honestly.

Nailed it

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If you wanted to make internet access a publicly regulated utility and expand regulation that way, I'd be all aboard. Getting mad at a private entity for controlling the content that appears on their own private network is dumb.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Vince MechMahon posted:

There's no free speech on the internet because every website is a privately run business who can choose who gets in. If you don't want to get banned don't break the rules. Should be a pretty easy concept for members of the Something Awful forums, honestly.

so can we call out businesses for being lovely or not?

do the same rules apply if I dont want to bake a wedding cake or serve certain minorities?

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

I'm talking about the OS running on the computers accessing the internet in the first place.

Not really more and more people get the internet through smart phones. That 85% global market share is majority business computers.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

It happens for all kinds of reasons to be sure. I just don't think Twitter has the ability to do what people in this thread are claiming in terms of their leverage over public discourse.

If Twitter had a natural monopoly on social media and/or communication then we'd have a way bigger problem on our hands imo. They def have competitors and their popularity is waning even today. I don't even know anyone who really uses Twitter except one hipster friend who follows music artists with it. It's just not as much of a scary boogeyman as you guys are painting it out to be. If they started grossly manipulating search results and engaging in political censorship, I think people would catch on fairly quick and jump ship.
I mean it sort of already does this, there's been some insider leaks that facebook manually reshuffles around news priority to push down conservative stuff, encourage progressive stuff, and sometimes singlehandedly puts a progressive video/article that would have flown under the radar in the spotlight to get it more attention. As a progressive myself i can't say I'm unhappy with this trend but I certainly would be if it was going the other way.

Similarly the alt-right is seen as a huge bogeyman on the internet but in terms of presence they've pretty much all been corralled into their own reddit and 4chan hellholes, stuff like how milo was handled is already evidence that twitter is doing this it's just to people you and me dislike anyways so we can't really be assed to care. It's not a hypothetical that social media is shaping political discourse, it's already an objective reality. The only question really remaining is how far it will go.

quote:

The question is not 'will this company be nice to me and not infringe on my rights,' the question is 'how do we ensure these companies aren't in these positions in the first place.' If we're demanding our companies respect our rights then poo poo has gone very wrong already. Ofc Twitter has no obligation to let people say whatever on their private platform and if that's the argument the left is running with then they've already lost the war.
I think that's totally fair but it's going to be a very hard to avoid problem as the years go on with some pretty drastic policy changes on how the internet and content on it is provided to people.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
I support this ban because I don't like Milo and also Twitter sucks and the fewer people on it the better

FuhrerHat posted:

what is your problem, jeez louise

I assume it's a reference to some part of the Ghostbusters movie, given the lazy stereotypes I saw in the trailer

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
#Dicksoutforyiannopoulos

twitter allows isis and al qaeda to tweet but they wont let some human being tweet good stuff because someone feels it's too "problematic" to be on the internet

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Moridin920 posted:

If Microsoft showed any inclination of doing anything like that, I'm sure people would be quite concerned about it.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Mark Zuckerburg is best buds with Angela Merkel and former Stasi agents are on the facebook payroll manipulating German politics.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

reallivedinosaur posted:

do the same rules apply if I dont want to bake a wedding cake or serve certain minorities?

You can do whatever you like.

Free speech means you won't be jailed or killed (by the powers of govt) for your opinion. It doesn't mean you can be a huge racist rear end in a top hat on Twitter and not get banned.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

reallivedinosaur posted:

Except this is more like 'I should be allowed to scream the N word in Disneyland because that's my right as a US citizen and they are infringing on my rights by booting me out.'

ArbitraryC posted:

I mean it sort of already does this, there's been some insider leaks that facebook manually reshuffles around news priority to push down conservative stuff, encourage progressive stuff, and sometimes singlehandedly puts a progressive video/article that would have flown under the radar in the spotlight to get it more attention. As a progressive myself i can't say I'm unhappy with this trend but I certainly would be if it was going the other way.

I think it's pretty shady either way (not that it surprises me ofc), but I just really doubt the efficacy of this strategy.

Idk maybe I'm wrong but I feel like if you're conservative and on the internet you're totally capable of getting conservative news while realizing that 'liberal media bias' is rampant, and vice versa. In the end, most people go read what they want to read and interpret out of it what they want to interpret.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

blarzgh posted:

Are you insulting me by calling me a homosexual?

What makes you think I think about what I post?

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

ArbitraryC posted:

Wow, where have you been? Even Glenn Beck knows that's a myth.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Moridin920 posted:

Except this is more like 'I should be allowed to scream the N word in Disneyland because that's my right as a US citizen and they are infringing on my rights by booting me out.'

so he was tweeting the n word?

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
and kids i guess?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

nm friend, kickin back to some ATQC and drinkin some good whiskey while the world is on fire as normie hehe~

i for 1 am shocked about this and deeply offended and hope some closure comes out of it, like in my favorite steven spielberg blockbuster movie where justice is finally served and we all can wipe our hands clean of this

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

reallivedinosaur posted:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
:pedophiles: "i should be allowed to hate speech on twitter"

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
hate speech is bad and should not be used when people have died for us to exercise our free speech in better and more contributing ways

my controversial opinion

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Zombie Boat posted:

Free speech means you won't be jailed or killed (by the powers of govt) for your opinion.
I think this is a somewhat myopic view of things. The first amendment's protections on freedom of speech weren't just for funsies; they were based on a philosophical position that society is better served when people are in fact able to express novel or controversial opinions. That purpose is undermined when anyone is in a position to (and does) restrict speech, not just when the government does.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I think that hate speech is good, but I also think that banning Milo from Twitter is good

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
'hate speech is bad'

"now just wait a minute, that's just a little too narrow-minded don't you think? after all there's all these nuances to think about when it comes to speeching and hating"
:goonsay:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Cthulu Carl posted:

What makes you think I think about what I post?

TOUCHE'

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
throw that milo yannapoopppy in jail. twitter jail :c00l:

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Lastgirl posted:

'hate speech is bad'

"now just wait a minute, that's just a little too narrow-minded don't you think? after all there's all these nuances to think about when it comes to speeching and hating"
:goonsay:

dont tell me who i can love or hate or why

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
When do you guys think that twitter will finally go outta business and just die? Because I eagerly await that day

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
ad hominem is now hate speech then

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Also, a sincere heartfelt thanks to all the goons who trundled in as fast as they could trundle, to :goonsay: First Amendment Does Not Apply To Private Companies.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Gammatron 64 posted:

When do you guys think that twitter will finally go outta business and just die? Because I eagerly await that day

has twitter ever put together a plan to make money yet? besides commercializing their api?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

reallivedinosaur posted:

dont tell me who i can love or hate or why

if u dont like wut i have 2 say

then..

then..

get out of are cuntree :911:

or out of my internet echo chamber, whichever applies here to the topic at hand

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

reallivedinosaur posted:

has twitter ever put together a plan to make money yet? besides commercializing their api?

They sell ads, don't they?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

It's just interesting that this situation basically already exists but with MS Windows.

The argument is computers and internet access are basically vital to function in today's society (which is true imo), thus Twitter is dangerous for being able to control the narrative somehow. Meanwhile just under 85% of all computers in the world are running Windows, giving Microsoft an actual effective monopoly over the tools we use to access our world.

If you're worried about Twitter, the leverage MS has over us should be making you poo poo yourself. There's nothing theoretically preventing Microsoft from pushing an update that blocks a list of websites from being accessible by Windows, the list being populated by major traffic sites that won't give MS a kickback ofc. Net neutrality has nothing to do with it because they aren't an ISP.

delet this

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Stinky_Pete posted:

They sell ads, don't they?

ive never seen an ad on twitter? i dont really use it and have never seen anything but the web interface

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
It's taking too long for this tech bubble to pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
what if twitter was the whole ad

people use their services to promote poo poo don't they, so uhhh...............

• Locked thread