Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
I support this ban because I don't like Milo and also Twitter sucks and the fewer people on it the better

FuhrerHat posted:

what is your problem, jeez louise

I assume it's a reference to some part of the Ghostbusters movie, given the lazy stereotypes I saw in the trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

ArbitraryC posted:

I mean it sort of already does this, there's been some insider leaks that facebook manually reshuffles around news priority to push down conservative stuff, encourage progressive stuff, and sometimes singlehandedly puts a progressive video/article that would have flown under the radar in the spotlight to get it more attention. As a progressive myself i can't say I'm unhappy with this trend but I certainly would be if it was going the other way.

Wow, where have you been? Even Glenn Beck knows that's a myth.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I think that hate speech is good, but I also think that banning Milo from Twitter is good

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

reallivedinosaur posted:

has twitter ever put together a plan to make money yet? besides commercializing their api?

They sell ads, don't they?

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

reallivedinosaur posted:

ive never seen an ad on twitter? i dont really use it and have never seen anything but the web interface

I open Twitter on my phone once or twice a week when it tells me that my IRL friend on there "liked" a tweet that is usually disappointing or requires a lot of extra context. It is a pointless app unless you're inclined to obsess over it. I just want it to tell me when Patton Oswalt says something funny or that I give a poo poo about, but it turns out that stuff usually gets to me through an article that's shared on Facebook.

Anyway, sometimes I see an ad for Clash of Clans or whatever poo poo I don't want, or it sneaks a tweet from a corporate brand page into my feed

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Lastgirl posted:

im hate speeching you rn except not really because you see, its nuanced so its not really hate speech except it is only because i said a certain thing this way instead of that way.

its tasteful hatespeech so you see, im being polite in my disgusting way and u cant tell me to shut up if im being polite and courteous about my hate speech

if u tell me to shut up that means ur the uncivl one who cant handle my rational mature adult discourse about hating someone's skin color, orientation, or belief

now allow me to politely fart into your mouth thanks in advance

Yeah see that's hatespeech (says so right there) but it doesn't seem ban-worthy so now I don't know what to believe. Can I eat soup? Or can I only drink it?

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Justin Tyme posted:

when twitter and facebook collude with foreign governments to suppress dissenting opinions that's just terrible and an affront to our western ideals!

tell me more about this thing that definitely happened

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Oh I didn't realize you meant obeying laws in other countries, I thought you were referring to the fake thing

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

lynch_69 posted:

Leslie Jones' twitter feed was basically wall to wall anonymous anime avatar scumbags calling her a gorilla and so on. This went on for hours, I saw it play out in real time.

The most amazing thing about all this is people like reallivedinosaur will passionately defend this for pages and pages on this dead gay forum because he thinks he's the good guy. The good guys who trolled the poo poo out of this lady for hours on end with the most crude racial insults you can imagine. But it's ok because she deserved it for making a movie.

Like every time this happens I always hope the folks behind those anime avatars are 4chan kids doing it for the lulz, and with time they'll realize how lovely they're being and grow out of it. Otherwise it's just sad. Imagine being a grown man with a loving job and family spending all your free time involved with an online group whose crowning achievement is calling a black lady an ape on social media.

How come they didn't get banned?

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Dicky B posted:

because it would be financial suicide

This is what my question was about so thanks

Now I would like to keep this train of thought moving forward so we can figure out how to get more Twitter accounts banned

Any ideas?

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
This is all I could find

misgendering is bad, but it should take a lot less to get banned from Twitter imo. how can we get them to loosen up their ban criteria?

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

PBS Newshour posted:

Milo is probably what Linux looks like in the world of the "I am a MAC and I am a PC" commercials

take that back, sir

City of Tampa posted:

or maybe it was hilarious and it was a really really bad idea for her to try to engage each troll personally because it just made it funnier and longer lasting, she's not without some responsibility here

also this is an adult we are talking about, and these are words on a computer screen that she's reacting to

I thought her reaction was to screenshot or retweet the dogpilers and say "can you believe this" to her followers

BillmasterCozb posted:

lol if you think trump will be allowed to do anything in office

i'm more worried about what he'll let a republican congress do

Anyway, as someone pointed out but I don't feel like finding to quote, the problem I've been missing is not a lack of bans, but too many accounts being created.

How can we prevent new twitter accounts from being created?

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
If Milo and Chris Christie had a baby, it would look like Jay Leno

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
/pol/ is probably responsible for radicalizing a lot of those with an alt-right disposition, but overall it's more of an indicator than a cause of anything

there's no way /pol/ influences more than ~0.5% of voters

however there is a lot to be said about democrats abandoning the working class and losing a bunch of state governments because of it, but i'm no expert

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

RobattoJesus posted:

Maybe alt-center who post lots of inoffensive memes about the status quo and have the motto "Make America the same as it's always been maybe a bit better I guess"

"both sides"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

BillmasterCozb posted:

Is that the new way of saying "average, everyday person"

It's a way for straight white people to signal that they definitely belong to a minority, lest they be mistaken for an oppressor

• Locked thread