Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen of this Goon Council. As many of you know the whole world is in turmoil.

Spain is on the brink of a civil war.

The once powerful nation of France is weak, its people divided.

Fascist Germany is increasing its military power with no end in sight.

The Soviet Union is dreaming of a world ruled by communism.

Japan is looking hungrily at Chinas land and resources.

Italy is planning on owning Africa.

The U.S. is looking to keep its isolation however likely that may be.

The United Kingdom is trying to keep its empire together.

Thus we have gathered here. Gathered to lead our nation through the upcoming storm. Yes, indeed, it is our decisions that are going to decide the fate of our nation. Our glorious nation of...

What is this?

Hi I'm FailAtMagic I really like HOI4. After the black magic that is the supply system and beyond boring way of assigning officers and generals in HoI3 Paradox Interactive has created a WW2 grand strategy that is easy and simple to get into. That being said there are a few exceptions (like the air game). The goal of this LP is to lead our country towards glorious death victory, while hopefully showing off some of the more complicated and less intuitive mechanics. I'm not incredibly good at the game but I'm competent enough to win the game with all the bigger guys.

How will this work

I'll make an update every month of ingame time when at peace and every week when at war. Each time the Guncil (Goon Council) will have a chance to vote on strategic goals for the upcoming month/week and I'll try to complete these goals. Additionally when at war every week I'll ask generals if they want to change the war plans of their armies.

For instance If the Guncil decides our land locked country of Switzerland needs a strong navy I'll create a plan for conquering Italy to get access to Naval Dockyards and start researching ship technology.

If the Guncil decides the Soviet Union could use some of that Norwegian salmon I'll start justifying a war, create a front and appoint a general.

etc. I'll explain more with the upcoming updates

Goon participation

Everyone is a member of the Guncil (Goon Council). Members vote count as one vote.

You can apply to be a political advisor and be in the game.
If you choose to be and advisor you have to write a short description of yourself (a short bio).
If you do this your vote will count as two votes.

For advisors that'll be used in the game, their vote will count as three votes.

Additionally you can apply to be a General now this WILL require for you to be active in the thread when war starts.

:siren: Verboten! Not Allowed! Don't loving Do This! :siren:

Absolutely no talking about genocide done by any country on any ethnicity. Just don't loving start this conversation. I will close the thread or get a mod to ban you.
Yes awful poo poo happened during the war but this game isn't about this and thats that.

:siren: Verboten! Not Allowed! Don't loving Do This! :siren:

okay lets get to our first vote

ps. English isn't my first language so feel free to laugh at me correct me when you see something written badly.
pps. Poland is hosed isn't it? Poland is always hosed in these games *sigh*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011
Taken

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011
:siren: FIRST VOTE :siren:

Simple as can be. What is our country???

Please bold your vote, thank you!

I'll leave this for about 48 hours probably.

FailAtMagic fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 20, 2016

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Soviet Union Stalin may be in charge for now comrades but I fear that communism is a failing ideal truly we must turn to fascism and join Germany in creating a super Europe.

Seriously love this game, spent loads and loads of hours playing it so far and if you couldn't tell by my post above I love anything that goes ahistorical. On that note will you be playing with historical focus on or off? Or have I jumped the gun with this question?

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Never retreat. Never surrender. Eat cheese and baguettes.
I vote France for an unusual side to pick!

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
I like the idea of changing history with France but would weathering the initial German attacks unbalance the game too much against the Axis? Might be a dumb question but I've never played a HoI before.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
France looks like a fun challenge.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Japan I wanna see how far you can get there. And we can even have a shot at simulating the historic divide between the military arms.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
In previous HOIs as France it's fairly easy to roll over Germany by '41 or so even without doing anything particularly gamey - just focus on churning out infantry, militia, and armor. Then the game is pretty boring after that unless you want to take on the Reds or spend four years building a carrier-based French navy.

I'm a big fan of playing as Japan - early land war in China competes with the future priorities of a massive fleet to defend the Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere, and there's never quite enough to go around. Smash the Americans in a glorious Decisive Battle!

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Vive la France!

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Italy

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

In previous HOIs as France it's fairly easy to roll over Germany by '41 or so even without doing anything particularly gamey - just focus on churning out infantry, militia, and armor. Then the game is pretty boring after that unless you want to take on the Reds or spend four years building a carrier-based French navy.

I'm a big fan of playing as Japan - early land war in China competes with the future priorities of a massive fleet to defend the Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere, and there's never quite enough to go around. Smash the Americans in a glorious Decisive Battle!

Only time I tried France in HoI4 I went communist and got roflstomped by Germany and Italy :/ That was 40 hours of playtime ago though.

koolkevz666 posted:

Soviet Union Stalin may be in charge for now comrades but I fear that communism is a failing ideal truly we must turn to fascism and join Germany in creating a super Europe.

Seriously love this game, spent loads and loads of hours playing it so far and if you couldn't tell by my post above I love anything that goes ahistorical. On that note will you be playing with historical focus on or off? Or have I jumped the gun with this question?

Yeah no historical focus for full ahistorical madness. Like France making a faction with czechoslovakia and getting murdered without the allies help.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

FailAtMagic posted:

Only time I tried France in HoI4 I went communist and got roflstomped by Germany and Italy :/ That was 40 hours of playtime ago though.

Yeah no historical focus for full ahistorical madness. Like France making a faction with czechoslovakia and getting murdered without the allies help.

Ha. Glorious. I love ahistorical events and such it is why I love the Paradox games so much. You can be sure I will be watching this thread with great interest as I play through my Netherlands run.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Italy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Is naval combat still all hosed up?

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012
:ussr: USSR we must liberate the whole of the world, BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY. :ussr:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
:japan:

Winning as them is a lot of fun, especially if you don't go for the obvious and join the axis.

River Crab
May 12, 2005

Perhaps a careful review of your options is in order.
I would love to see France do something fun. Hopefully we (and by that I mean you, FailAtMagic) can preemptively make the late 19/20th centuries a better place by saving us all from those "lol France surrenders" jokes.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012
France needs you zombie napoleon.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

No Swiss? You teased us with talks of the legendary Swiss navy, then don't put them on the list. For shame!

Italy. Switzerland and Africa must fall!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Italy Because they really need all the help they can get not to suck.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Japan

seems like a fun game :)

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Parles vous Français?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
France in HoI IV was some of the most fun I've ever had in a Paradox game.

FrozenCherry
Nov 12, 2013

FRANCE FRANCE FRANCE!

Crush our enemies with the great french army!

FrozenCherry fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 22, 2016

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Mexico. Take back what the Americans took in the Mexican-American War!

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
Ethiopia. The lion of Judah shall unite this fractured world! (through the abuse of supply mechanics and AI movement stupidity)

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010
Poland. Build a wall with Germany and make the German's pay for it.

With their corpses
:unsmigghh:

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011
The voting so far:

France - 9 votes
Italy - 4 votes
Japan - 4 votes
Soviet Union - 2 votes
US, UK and germany - 0 votes

I'll leave the vote for another 24 hours also the people who voted for someone else then these 7 nations feel free to edit your votes.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Mother Russia! :ussr:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Vive le France! :france:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Japan We need to free Asia from the European hordes.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Ireland!

Wait, you don't allow that as a choice? Booo.

Fine, Italy then,I guess.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
France? France. France!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Poland. We beat the Soviets once, we can do it again :getin:

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
If we can't rule Ethiopia we'll see it crushed beneath our heels. Italy.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
(France)

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Italy because that could be entertaining to see.

Dakona
May 3, 2014
Throwing my vote in to the France hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
France because it's funnier when WW2 just totally fails to happen properly and Poland wasn't an option :(

• Locked thread