Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Puppies are dicks posted:

Oh man I love both Harvest Moon and Stardew, and the Harvest Moon LP on SA was pretty hilarious reading.

RIP Cumfartz, you were always the best chicken.

If/when we get a dog I will be very sad if (s)he isn't named Beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larien
Jan 13, 2014
2) D

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Tie for first between A & D but the other choices are close behind. This could be anyone's game still.

cat_herder posted:

Yeah, we're starting to run low on presents. Might want to change that somehow. Net a hella nice fish and bring it, maybe?

I agree we should probably start cultivating/maintaining what's already growing. How are we for irrigation? I don't suppose acequias are in use on a Mediterranean island, but if there's a similar system, we should also bring presents to the mayordomo. I saw that there's a spring not too far away, but has the weather/overuse affected the wells in the area? This is crucial in deciding what we can actually grow.

The spring near your farm is noticeably lower than its high water mark. It is also the water source closest to your farm. There is still enough water that you will be able to grow whatever you want next year. Looking into irrigating your fields with a reliable water source wouldn't be a bad long term project. You'll want to find a different water source than the spring for that though, the spring is used by several other nearby citizens.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART

Loren1350 posted:

If/when we get a dog I will be very sad if (s)he isn't named Beer.

Can confirm, beer dog is also best dog. We even already have a smilie for it! :cheerdoge:

Also if we really wanted to get serious about irrigation we'd just waterwheel it from the nearest river of good size but honestly I don't think we've got the technical expertise and manpower for it.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Hmmm

let's go with A

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Hi. I accidentally started writing the update for D instead of A which won. Sorry. The two updates could not have more different tones so I don't think I'd be able to update tonight if I switched. So here's the update for the forest and you'll get to do A too. Everyone wins!

Stepping out of your front door and walking towards the forest you find yourself on a barely visible path. Someone has walked this way frequently enough to wear away the sparse native vegetation but not nearly as often as the other paths on your farm.

Many of the trees in the forest are evergreen maples with a full head of vibrant green leaves, even this early in spring. In the edges of the forest you see few trees with nuts and few plants you recognize as edible. As you head further into the forest signs of human presence become less common and edible plants become correspondingly more common. When you come upon a small river you decide to follow it upstream. You see no large mammals but plenty of rabbits, birds, and reptiles. The river even has a few small fish you think.

After a couple of hours the forest falls silent. That's never a good sign.

Then the silence is broken by laughter. A voice calls out "What are you afraid of? Did you lose your shadow? Or did it just run away because you're so skinny?" You spin around to try and spot the speaker and when you spin back around he's standing not half a meter from you.

The speaker is standing not half a meter from you and laughing. "You should see the expression on your face. Oh wow. You look so silly. Seriously though, what are you doing in my forest?" Suddenly petulant he continues: "I don't break into your homes, you shouldn't break into mine." Just as suddenly as his mood shifted before it shifts again and there's an axe in both his hands. "Did you come here to fight me? I'm ready to go. I'll spot you 300 rounds and still beat the pants off you. Are you ready to dance?"

1) How do you react?
A. I scream
B. I run away
C. I scream and run away
D. I hug him and greet him as if he's my host (hosts aren't allowed to hurt guests according to your culture's customs)
E. I fight him
F. I invite him to my house
G. I tell him I'm looking for my shadow - it ran away because it thought it wasn't good enough to be around someone as awesome as me.
write in

LLSix fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 1, 2016

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

G

I wanted to try host trickery, but I think this dude will appreciate G much more. Or hate it. That's why it's such a great option!

Larien
Jan 13, 2014
D

Let's meet crazy with crazy!

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Oh actually my shadow's right over ther-E Nut the son of a bitch while he's distracted. He wants a fight I'll kick his goddamn hippy sack in. Probably all malnourished and weak anyway from living in the woods. Meet crazy with angry, panicked crazy. And blows to the groin.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I really wanna hug this guy but I'm also painfully aware that he's armed. But I REALLY want to hug him.

D but be ready to dodge!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Don't think we have any other choice.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

elise the great posted:

I really wanna hug this guy but I'm also painfully aware that he's armed. But I REALLY want to hug him.

D but be ready to dodge!

D for dodge seems fine.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Well that sure was a short CYOA.

D

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

D Hope we aren't forced to marry him.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
D

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

LLSix posted:

The forest falls silent. That's never a good sign.

Then the silence is broken by laughter. A voice calls out "What are you afraid of? Did you lose your shadow? Or did it just run away because you're so skinny?" You spin around to try and spot the speaker and when you spin back around he's standing not half a meter from you.

The speaker is standing not half a meter from you and laughing. "You should see the expression on your face. Oh wow. You look so silly. Seriously though, what are you doing in my forest?" Suddenly petulant he continues: "I don't break into your homes, you shouldn't break into mine." Just as suddenly as his mood shifted before it shifts again and there's an axe in both his hands. "Did you come here to fight me? I'm ready to go. I'll spot you 300 rounds and still beat the pants off you. Are you ready to dance?"

So you hug him. Shocked, the wild man stands utterly still even after you step back. "Wh- Wh- What did you do that for? Are you conceding? I am pretty intimidating. That makes sense. Woohoo! I won!" He tosses his axes into the air and does a little victory dance before catching them. You explain that the hug is the traditional greeting between host and guest. You are accepting his hospitality and his protection while in his house. It's very important to treat guests well, at least as well as family.

The wild man grabs hold of you and hugs you back while swinging you around and around and around until you both fall down. "Hooray! You are my guest! That means you agree this is my home! Nobody has done that before! Welcome, welcome to my home!" He looks around the area by the river stream you're standing at. "Not that this part of my home is very impressive. There are much better parts. 300 times better! Wait!" A sly grin spreads across his face. "If you are my guest than I must prepare a feast. Yes! A feast! Wait right here, I'll be back before you know it." The wild man leaps up and grabs a branch. Swinging himself up he disappears into the tree tops.

When he returns he is carrying two large leaves piled high with "food."

The "food"is still alive and is crawling all over itself. You have never eaten insects before and they are not considered food in your culture. The wild man snags one of the worms trying to escape and pops it into his mouth before chewing ostentatiously and swallowing. He greens cheekily at you. "Eat. Eat. I would consider it a serious insult if my guest refused to eat." He's right; it is considered rude to refuse your host's hospitality after accepting it. Of course, as host you're supposed to give the best you can to guests; not bugs.

1) Do you eat the worms and insects?
A. Yes, reluctantly
B. Yes, with gusto
C. No, I ask for something else to eat
D. No, and I try to run away
write in

LLSix fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 2, 2016

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Oh my god this is loving great.

Gonna put some Bugs in my duodenum. I mean, we just hugged this dude, let's up the crazy ante. Maybe if we look really excited about the termites we can eat, like, a termite and then distract him without seeming too rude.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

E. Cook it with spice and awesome sauce to show him your 'home recipe' as reciprocal gift for his generosity.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

Raw termites just melt away and taste like carrots. Cooked termites probably have, like, texture. Just shove em in yer pie hole and start asking this dude about nymphs already.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Voting elise.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

elise the great posted:

Oh my god this is loving great.

Gonna put some Bugs in my duodenum. I mean, we just hugged this dude, let's up the crazy ante. Maybe if we look really excited about the termites we can eat, like, a termite and then distract him without seeming too rude.

I learned a new word today.

Larien
Jan 13, 2014
B

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Awe suffuses the wild man's face as he watches you gobble down a bug with gusto. "Wild. Just wild. You're crazier than me, lady." He opens his hand to show you the worm he "ate". "I totally didn't expect you to actually eat that. What a hoot. You're welcome to visit me any time. The name's Makaroio although most people just scream 'oh no,' 'run away,' or 'please don't beat me up incredibly awesome king - I'm a giant coward.' Man, I really liked that guy. Too bad the lizards killed him for being a coward."

He hurls his axe into the ground by you. "Here, have my axe. The next time you visit I'll show you how to hunt with it. BRB." He disappears behind a tree momentarily and when he returns he has a pair of leaf platters overflowing with nuts and wild plants you recognize as edible. "This is what I usually eat." Judging by his whipcord lean-ness and the way you can see the outline of his ribs its rather more than he usually eats.

He also takes a drink from, and then hands you, a hollowed out plant with a stiff outer shell you don't recognize. Inside is fresh clean water.

The farm to your East is significantly smaller than most of the farms in the village. Morever, he seems to grow more rocks than anything else. What few plants you do see growing look wonderfully healthy as do the people working the fields.

Hermarchus is working in his fields when you decide to visit him. He waves hello to you when he spots you then sits down on one of the many rocks in his farm to wait for you. He waits with calm good humor for you to introduce yourself then greets you warmly. Hugging you and kissing your cheek three times as he would a family member. "You must be Theios' heir. He talked of you sometimes but his descriptions did not do you justice. You are a stunningly beautiful woman. Not always the most comfortable of blessings that. Much like your uncle's bequest I imagine?" One of the men you saw tending the fields heads inside and brings out an amphriskos, some cups, and a platter of olives. The man puts the items down and greets you warmly.

"Ah, good timing son. Cassandra, this is my son Philodemus. He is struggling under the same blessings as you I believe, though a father isn't the best judge of that." He laughs. "He is taking the farm over from me this year as well. And not a day too soon." Philodemus smiles at you and hands you one of the cups and then gives the other to his father. "You're a good son, lad. Back to your work now though, Cassandra will be wanting to hear about her uncle and you know how he is." Hermachus smiles fondly as his son makes his goodbyes and returns to work.

Hermachus drinks deeply from his cup full of well-watered wine. "Ahh, that's just the thing for a day like this. I'm getting too old to work these fields like I used to. Where were we? Oh, yes, you wanted to know about your uncle? I'm glad you finally decided to visit us. I was afraid I'd die of old age before you stopped by and I would be able to settle my debt to Theios. The first year on a new farm can be lean. Very lean indeed. I owe your uncle a favor still and if you would do us the honor of taking your meals with us for a year and a day I could consider the debt settled. You can decline of course, in which case I'll have to find some other way to repay him."

It would cost about half your startup funds to afford enough meals to last you until next year when your first barley harvest would come in. Other than that, your options for avoiding a lean year aren't great. You probably wouldn't starve between your goat milk and whatever fruits and vegetables you grow, but it would be as lean and hungry a year as any you've ever known. You could probably supplement what you grow with whatever you gathered from the forest with Makaroio's help or by planting more acres of quick growing but less filling crops. If you had a fishing pole you could fish. Or you could spend a lot of time hunting the unclaimed land and foraging. Or ask for a loan. Actually, thinking about it, you've got loads of options, but its still a nice offer even though it will take up some of your free time.

1) Do you accept the offer of free food?
A. Yes
B. No
write in

Hermachus continues, whatever your answer: "Where were we? Oh, yes, you wanted to know about your uncle? He was as learned as the day is long and a great joy to me in my old age. Of all the things which wisdom has contrived which contribute to a blessed life, none is more important, more fruitful, than conversation. He had a keen intellect and greatly helped me to develop my own thinking. He was never happy with conventional wisdom though. Always tinkering and experimenting. Never satisfied, an unhappy way to live if you ask me, but a great mind certainly. I would enjoy it if you would come and visit an old man from time to time. I miss my conversations with your uncle. Now, your uncle told me you've been taught little more than the rudiments of philosophy, but he was confident you'd be a quick study and he was rarely wrong."

2) Is there anything you would like to ask Hermachus?
write in

As given to rambling tangents and long winded speech as Hermachus is, your visit with him does not take up the whole day.

3) Is there anything you'd like to do with the rest of your day?
F. I want to explore the sea shore on the North side of the village.
G. I want to decide what crops to plant for the coming year. This choice will unlock the option to timeskip forward a year.
H. I want to visit the blacksmith. The blacksmith can repair your tools, and sell you better ones but you don't have much money to spare this year.
I. I want to visit the bath house.
write in

LLSix fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 6, 2016

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

1. Yes I'm happy to share your table. Meals are meant to be eaten together and cooked for friends and family.
2. (to both Hermarchus and the crazy hermit) anybody seen my chickens? About so high, covered with feathers, probably answer to "Cluck," "Cluck you," and "coo-ee here's some grain you viciously stupid little bastards!" ?
3. H Still want to get those tools. An axe is nice but there's all sorts of other poo poo that we need for farming.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

1. Yes I'm happy to share your table. Meals are meant to be eaten together and cooked for friends and family.
2. (to both Hermarchus and the crazy hermit) anybody seen my chickens? About so high, covered with feathers, probably answer to "Cluck," "Cluck you," and "coo-ee here's some grain you viciously stupid little bastards!" ?
3. H Still want to get those tools. An axe is nice but there's all sorts of other poo poo that we need for farming.

These work for me

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Plan Puppies, except, we go fishing up north.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

1. No, we gonna learn hunting from crazy forestman and we will be fine.
3. H

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

plan puppies except let's go to the beach. Maybe we can befriend some fishermen who will teach us how to fish.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Plan Puppies, except, we go fishing up north.

Mostly this. Maybe a little more diplomatic about the chickens. We don't know if Theios still had any when he left the farm to us, and I'm having trouble coming up with scenarios where - if he still did - it's not better that they're gone and not obviously dead.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Oh by all means be diplomatic and don't tell him I mean to name at least one of the chickens Cluck your mother, I was just being facetious because I dislike chickens on principle.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

Plan Puppies except that I, too, hunger for the beach. It's our last chance!

Larien
Jan 13, 2014
1) a
3) f

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Wild man Makaroio licks his lips when you mention chickens. "I would love a chicken. They taste super good. The last time I grabbed one everyone started yelling and throwing rocks and poo poo. Doesn't seem worth the effort to snag another one, but boy it sure tasted different. I haven't seen any chickens in my forest."

Hermarchus says: "I have not seen any chickens on your farm since the day your uncle died. Theios valued his privacy and I respected that by not prying into the happenings on his farm over much so I'm not sure when what happened to them. I believe your uncle kept a great many of them unless my memory deceives me."

Looks to me like the sea shore won. I'll get started on the updated.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Walking along the shore you see a pirate.

Skull and crossbones? Check.
Black bicorn hat? Check.
Heavy yet fashionable waterproof cloak? check.
Cutlass; check.
Flashy jewelry, brightly colored clothes, and devil may care attitude? Check, check, and check.

"Shiver me timbers," the pirate cries, "you must be the new land lubber as recently took command of her uncle's farm! I'm Captain Firebeard; the best pirate to ever sail the sixteen seas. Come to get a look at the booty of the sea have you? A fine booty it is, that's for true me lassy. On a day like today the water goes on forever."

Captain Firebeard seizes hold of your arm and drags you out to stand next to her. She points out over the water to guide your gaze in the same direction she had been staring when you first saw her. Your eyes range out in the direction she points and the waves do seem to go on forever and ever and ever. At her urging you strain your eyes to see how far you can see but no matter how long or distant you look you see only blue. Even the horizon disappears and merges into the waves at the edge of sight and you can't tell where the sky ends or the waters begin.

"Arrr, it is a fine sight lassy. Mighty fine. I can look at it all day until the sun sinks beneath the waves. You've a good eye to be able to see so clearly the beauty of the sea. You're welcome to come back anytime and share in her booty with me." You notice her fishing gear setup along the beach. It looks very comfortable and permanent. She must be out here everyday.

She notices you looking at her poles. "Checking out me own booty are you?" She winks then points at one of the older and simpler looking poles: "That one there is for you. The sea, she told me you'd be coming today. Take the pole and grip it firmly but not too tightly and she'll treat you right. Always remember to treat the sea with respect and you'll do fine."

1) How do you react?
A. I spend the evening fishing with her
B. I talk politely for a little while before returning home
C. I leave as soon as I think I can (this is between b & d)
D. I scream and try to get away.
Write in

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

A

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

A and how could it be anything else.

Gotta wonder why a self-proclaimed pirate would settle down as a fisher on an out-of-the-way island.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

A - we are surrounded by crazy people and hot guys

elise the great
May 1, 2012

A and see if you can figure out about those sixteen different seas

Also we're eating dinner with the nice neighbor and his way hot son, right

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

elise the great posted:

Also we're eating dinner with the nice neighbor and his way hot son, right
Yes.

elise the great posted:

A and see if you can figure out about those sixteen different seas

"You've got your Ellinean Sea of course, that's 1. You must have crossed part of it to get here lassy.
Then there's your Northern Sea, your Western Sea, and your Southern sea. As well as the Romantic Sea.
Beyond the lands of the Lizard Lords there's the great Lizard Sea, the Dead sea, and the Red sea. That's 8.
West beyond the Romantic Sea arr the Strait Sea, The Sea of Rhye, and then South down along the coast you come to the Stormy Sea.
If you survive the Stormy Sea you come to the Black Sea which makes 12.
Of course you've heard of the Jagged Sea and the Singing Sea, but you may not have heard of the Sea of Rocks or the Sea of Sand.
Hush now lassy, you'll give away our position. I mean; scare the fish."

LLSix fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larien
Jan 13, 2014
A

• Locked thread