Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Its like tennis/pingpong... the court is a badminton court but they play "tennis" with a wiffle ball.

My dad is 70 and hes so loving into it is insane. He's even a sponsor for the company that manufactures the paddles. He sells paddles to other olds.

Has anyone even heard of it?

We are doing a charity event for work on friday, I got them to donate to it a pair of paddles a couple wiffle balls and a carry bag. I was wondering if anyone would even bid on a set of paddles and a couple balls and a case to hold them in. We have a good amount of older people at my work site that stay active.

Tell me goons. Have you heard of pickleball? Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgljuzMdSh0

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Your dads playing with your pickle and ball?

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

We had a whole month of pickleball in high school gym, pickleball owns.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

shabbat goy posted:

We had a whole month of pickleball in high school gym, pickleball owns.

wow really? how long ago was this?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

you enjoyed it?

naem
May 29, 2011

my dads's dead

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

Like 10 years ago, and yeah, it was fun. I hope more goons can share their pickleball memories in this thread, thank you OP 😇🎾💯

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
we used to play it in middle school but I was surprised to learn in my adult life that it wasn't played in the locker room showers while the gym teacher sits in a La-Z-Boy

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's funny that they named a sport after a medical condition the olds are facing.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Good input keep it up

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Pickle ball is a middle school game not an old people game. Played that poo poo until 5th grade then it was uncool.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My grandparents play pickleball at the local senior center, which my grandpa is one of the board chair members of. Welp, that's all I got, thanks for reading.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Pope Mobile posted:

Pickle ball is a middle school game not an old people game. Played that poo poo until 5th grade then it was uncool.

WRONG

My friend's grandpa taught us how to play pickleball (it was in an old folks community, they all played it).

I can confirm that it's a very fun and cool game.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

literally this big posted:

WRONG

My friend's grandpa taught us how to play pickleball (it was in an old folks community, they all played it).

gotta say... this game is legit popular with olds right now.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
I would rather assassinate my own balls with a pound of c4 than learn about pickleball

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
i am very interested in this

cloven hoof
Mar 17, 2009

Wendigee posted:

gotta say... this game is legit popular with olds right now.

Yes, I went to look at the community center where I am to teach an Aikido class in the fall, and when I asked about using the gym, the director laughed and told me the gym is only for pickle ball.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

it does sound fun. cant wait till im old

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

cloven hoof posted:

Yes, I went to look at the community center where I am to teach an Aikido class in the fall, and when I asked about using the gym, the director laughed and told me the gym is only for pickle ball.

yeah its gaining popularity like you wouldn't beleive.

I'm really surprised so many people touched it in middle school!

It was not part of my middle school gym.

If anyone actually wants a set of awesome paddles, https://www.selkirk.com/, i can get you a really good price through my dad I bet. Since he retired he golfs every morning and pickle balls a couple matches every afternoon and sells selkirk paddles and equipment between games.

He even teaches classes in pickleball every week for the local park and recreation dudes.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

apparently the best guys in the world right now are from europe and they are 35 and 40.... lol. wow how are you beating people who are 70 years old it is a mystery!

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

What if a fit 22 year old tennis player joined pickle ball for giggles?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Wendigee posted:

What if a fit 22 year old tennis player joined pickle ball for giggles?

all of the olds would hit on them and grope them and then deny it and act all feeble and poo poo

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

I've thought about this for a while and I decided that I would like to play pickleball with your dad

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

shabbat goy posted:

I've thought about this for a while and I decided that I would like to play pickleball with your dad

my dad is a great guy.

I've listened to his jokes for over 30 years so they might make you grin. I'm done though.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.
Has anyone heard of spikeball?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

my college offered pickleball for one of its required "go outside you nerds" phys ed classes. fun fact the sport was named after a dog. the dogs name was pickles

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
how many players on a pickle ball team?

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Wendigee posted:

Its like tennis/pingpong... the court is a badminton court but they play "tennis" with a wiffle ball.

My dad is 70 and hes so loving into it is insane. He's even a sponsor for the company that manufactures the paddles. He sells paddles to other olds.

Has anyone even heard of it?

We are doing a charity event for work on friday, I got them to donate to it a pair of paddles a couple wiffle balls and a carry bag. I was wondering if anyone would even bid on a set of paddles and a couple balls and a case to hold them in. We have a good amount of older people at my work site that stay active.

Tell me goons. Have you heard of pickleball? Thoughts?

seems cool & good for old people to stay active

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

shuffleboard is the ultimate old man's sport

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures
My hometown in Florida is about to host the Finals or Worlds Series of Pickleball or something. I hadn't heard about it before, but your OP makes it sound great.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
No. You should gently caress your gay dad op.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe
Pickleball is cool. A place my dad was living for a while had a court and we played a few times, kinda like a fun half way between table tennis and real tennis. Would recommend for olds and non-olds alike.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

literally this big posted:

WRONG

I never said kids are smart.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Lutha Mahtin posted:

my college offered pickleball for one of its required "go outside you nerds" phys ed classes. fun fact the sport was named after a dog. the dogs name was pickles

?

Dr.Mrs.The Monarch
Aug 8, 2005

Obamunist Troll Bot: Built to bring a One World Government to the People
A buddy of mine who plays tennis plays pickle ball with a bunch of old people. It's very much an old man sport, but so is tennis.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Is there a Wii version?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The thing about pickle ball is it's significantly harder to seriously hurt yourself with the equipment than many cases of sportsball, which means you can almost kinda sort trust dipshit middle schoolers with it.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I played pickle ball in jr. high and high school and it was a good game. Biggest downside was chasing the balls across the gym when they went out of bounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.

reignonyourparade posted:

The thing about pickle ball is it's significantly harder to seriously hurt yourself with the equipment than many cases of sportsball, which means you can almost kinda sort trust dipshit middle schoolers with it.

We were idiot children that would try to scissor jump the net and faceplant on the gym floor.

Good times.

• Locked thread