Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I need help from a network admin. I cant get this turd to connect to any network other than my home network.

Problem description: I typically connect this laptop to my home satellite isp network and use a vpn for work. The internet works fine at home on or off the vpn. When I travel I cant load the hotel internet login screen after connecting. My phone connects and browses fine. If I connect my laptop to the phones hotspot, it cannot browse the internet.

I can ping websites and recieve replies.
I can telnet to sites over port 80 and the screen goes blank as expected.

Attempted fixes: netsh int ip reset, netsh winsock reset, netsh http delete cache, dns flush, changed dns to 8.8.8.8, tried multiple browsers.

Recent changes: None.

--

Operating system: e.g. Windows 7 pro 64 bit

System specs: HP elitebook840 g3, 8g ram, i5-6300 2.4ghz

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Dave_Indeed posted:

I need help from a network admin. I cant get this turd to connect to any network other than my home network.

Problem description: I typically connect this laptop to my home satellite isp network and use a vpn for work. The internet works fine at home on or off the vpn. When I travel I cant load the hotel internet login screen after connecting. My phone connects and browses fine. If I connect my laptop to the phones hotspot, it cannot browse the internet.

I can ping websites and recieve replies.
I can telnet to sites over port 80 and the screen goes blank as expected.

Do you have a proxy that's used for work? Thinking about it more, it's odd that it works fine on the sat without VPN but doesn't work anywhere else, but I'd still check proxy, if you do use one for work (or an automatic config script) turn that off and try to launch webpages.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 21, 2016

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

MF_James posted:

Do you have a proxy that's used for work? Thinking about it more, it's odd that it works fine on the sat without VPN but doesn't work anywhere else, but I'd still check proxy, if you do use one for work (or an automatic config script) turn that off and try to launch webpages.

Nah no proxies. Im wondering if the enterprise endpoint garbage is interfering. Its not letting me telnet on port 80 now so thats different from when I was troubleshooting. I may just send it back and have the IT goons reimage it or tell me if port 80/443 is truly blocked at the pc by their stupid poo poo. It may be faster to do that than to learn what I need from wireshark to see what the hell.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Oh yeah, it definitely makes sense that your work security software would do this.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Dave_Indeed posted:

Nah no proxies. Im wondering if the enterprise endpoint garbage is interfering. Its not letting me telnet on port 80 now so thats different from when I was troubleshooting. I may just send it back and have the IT goons reimage it or tell me if port 80/443 is truly blocked at the pc by their stupid poo poo. It may be faster to do that than to learn what I need from wireshark to see what the hell.

Yeah, probably best to deal with your IT rather than random goons, since your IT will know the policies/security applied to your machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manofsloth
Sep 2, 2011
College Slice
Try manually lowering the MTU on your NIC to something like 1430. Especially if it mostly manifests with HTTPS.

• Locked thread