Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Quote-Unquote posted:

I remember years ago there was this one goon that claimed to live near a bar that Layne Staley would sometimes drag his shambling corpse-like body to and he'd just sit in a corner by himself off his tits on drugs nursing a beer for ages and never talking to anyone. Guy wasn't really alive for ages.

iirc the first time people thought he might be dead was cos his lawyer wondered why he hadn't been in touch for a couple of weeks to get drug money.
His story was a lot sadder than Kobain's though. He died because his absent father would drop in to his live now and again to ask his successful son for money before disappearing again. Then Staley kicked H after a long time and his dad pops in on him again and says "hey son, you're still rich right? what's say we bond over some china white?" Then dad left again and his son stopped seeing all his friends and died alone in a rathole in filthy clothes with a needle in his arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

monkey posted:

Greatest musician of all time is John Shore. After blowing his face out playing trumpet for the King of England he went on to invent the tuning fork.

That's more than Cobain accomplished after blowing his face out.

NVJ
Apr 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
this is the only amazing thing nirvana did and i loving hate them and love it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0MzeMfcGxA

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Courtney Love had Burt Cocaine killed because his drugs hobby was more expensive than a funeral. She offered El Duce of The Mentors a sum to do it, he ran his mouth, and just so happened to be found passed out in front of a train on accident a week later.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
he was heavily influenced by his brother, burt conain's work. as am i.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

phasmid posted:

His story was a lot sadder than Kobain's though. He died because his absent father would drop in to his live now and again to ask his successful son for money before disappearing again. Then Staley kicked H after a long time and his dad pops in on him again and says "hey son, you're still rich right? what's say we bond over some china white?" Then dad left again and his son stopped seeing all his friends and died alone in a rathole in filthy clothes with a needle in his arm.

Didn't his fiance also OD and die or something, and then he went like crazy off the rails?

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

phasmid posted:

ugh man, i cant imagine being able to kick H while having any amount of money available.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

dsf posted:

ugh man, i cant imagine being able to kick H while having any amount of money available.

I can't tell if this is sarcastic and I think it raises an interesting question

Rich person quitting heroin:
+Much more stable environment
+Actual treatment
-Gnawing knowledge that you can absolutely shoot as much heroin as you wish until you die and there is no social or practical force that will stop you

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jonny 290 posted:

i was huge nirvana fan and knew all the songs on guitar and had the book and all that

oh god its so terrible now. any musical value they possibly have is as the Dave Grohl Experience and even then he's a piece of poo poo so who cares

but yeah courtney had kurt bumped off

Dave Grohl is a piece of poo poo?

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Dave Grohl is
THE BEST
THE BEST
THE BEST
THE BEST
THE BEST
THE BEST
THE BEST
THE BEST
THE BEST
THE BEST
THE BEST

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
nirvana was solid

but like all these uninspired scared jerkoffs who parrot others, im supposed to tell you that its overrated

namaste

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I prefer the works of rudy vallee

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Quote-Unquote posted:

Didn't his fiance also OD and die or something, and then he went like crazy off the rails?
That part I don't remember, but the part that sticks out is that his bandmates and friends tried to get him to stop and he told them all to go to hell. He effectively cut everyone out of his life so he could suicide by heroin.

dsf posted:

One of those drugs that made me glad I was always broke.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
Conan O'Brien is my favorite guitar player.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
lol at you bunch of nerds Kurt was like a Paul McCartney-level melody writer it sucks he was a drug addict but he still would have been a god drat genius without dat horse.

I dunno about the greatest in 100 years tho tbqh but he was definitely like beatles-level good.

And of course if you don't like the beatles suck my dick fuckboy.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures
Lolling at "Burt Cocaine"

"It's better to burn out than fade away" -nirvana

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
Kurt had sick taste in music and was very gifted. Shame he died.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Khorne posted:

Around 30% of the population of the US isn't even 20.

And those people under 20 are 100% jerks. game set match

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
As a sensitive young weirdo his journals really resonated with me. Ever since my brothers introduced me to them when I was 8 I wanted to be him. I even once thought maybe I was the reincarnation of him. He was also really hot.

Also Meechy Darko goes by Dirt Cobain.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Secular Humanist posted:

lol at you bunch of nerds Kurt was like a Paul McCartney-level melody writer it sucks he was a drug addict but he still would have been a god drat genius without dat horse.

yeah it's not like McCartney ever got inspiration from dump trucks full of drugs

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

Quote-Unquote posted:

I remember years ago there was this one goon that claimed to live near a bar that Layne Staley would sometimes drag his shambling corpse-like body to and he'd just sit in a corner by himself off his tits on drugs nursing a beer for ages and never talking to anyone. Guy wasn't really alive for ages.

iirc the first time people thought he might be dead was cos his lawyer wondered why he hadn't been in touch for a couple of weeks to get drug money.

I remember that story too. I also heard that he wasn't found for a while, so his cat got hungry and turned on his dead body :catstare:

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

Secular Humanist posted:

I dunno about the greatest in 100 years tho tbqh but he was definitely like beatles-level good.

And of course if you don't like the beatles suck my dick fuckboy.

he's also like paul mccartney cause they're both dead

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

dethkon posted:

I remember that story too. I also heard that he wasn't found for a while, so his cat got hungry and turned on his dead body :catstare:

http://youtu.be/aKYpECibw5c

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
You know what was the last thing to go through Kurt's head before he died?

joyous feelings of relief and happiness

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
It's weird. I love the Damned and the Pixies, but never liked Nirvana even though all of their songs were stolen from the Pixies and The Damned.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
nirvana was poo poo but i was happy for the whole grunge scene because i didnt have to practice guitar as hard as when hair metal was cool

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

Frankenstyle posted:

It's weird. I love the Damned and the Pixies, but never liked Nirvana even though all of their songs were stolen from the Pixies and The Damned.

And Killing Joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMQC0Yyi0sM

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

down n out posted:

Kurt had sick taste in music
The first thing Kurt Cobain asked for when he came out of his coma in Italy was his Frogs cassettes.

The true answer is The Frogs are the greatest musicians of the last 100 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs7vy6BLyRk

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
if Kurdt was still alive today he'd be Eddie Vedder and you'd be ignoring the music he is playing live on stage while you are waiting in line for a beer at the county fair

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

City of Tampa posted:

if Kurdt was still alive today he'd be Eddie Vedder and you'd be ignoring the music he is playing live on stage while you are waiting in line for a beer at the county fair

Right, he wanted to be in a virtually unknown band like Flipper or Scratch Acid. Instead, he became a rock star and would have Perez Hilton following him for the rest of his life.

Also, I'm the goon who mentioned that my friend that lived in Seattle took me to the bar where Layne would sit in the corner and nod off. He actually lived in a decent condo in the UDistrict at the time of his death.

feelnumb

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

WaryWarren posted:

Right, he wanted to be in a virtually unknown band like Flipper or Scratch Acid. Instead, he became a rock star and would have Perez Hilton following him for the rest of his life.

Also, I'm the goon who mentioned that my friend that lived in Seattle took me to the bar where Layne would sit in the corner and nod off. He actually lived in a decent condo in the UDistrict at the time of his death.

feelnumb

living the three olives life

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Nirvana sucked and were lame. Had they been good I'd like them, but alas.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
"For several years, Staley rarely left his condo and spent most of his days creating art, playing video games or nodding off on drugs. He began to mix heroin and cocaine, and he started using crack"

'Tis a goon's life for me, mates!

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Nirvana sucked and were lame. Had they been good I'd like them, but alas.

No poo poo. The Jesus Lizard and Melvins opened for them. Perfect, I don't have to sit through a poo poo band in order to watch a very good one.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
lol

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
Someone find the video of Cobain talking with William S. Burroughs.

Kurt also was a cool artist who'd hammer nails into doll heads and poo poo. He was a pale, beta feminist who hated himself as all people should strive to do.

The only black musician I would stalk is Tricky.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The ongoing history of new music had a great piece on Layne Staley. His hermit tendencies didn't really kick in until his fiance or love of his life or whatever suddenly died of a blood infection or something. Then he became a recluse.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Erostratus posted:

Someone find the video of Cobain talking with William S. Burroughs.

Kurt also was a cool artist who'd hammer nails into doll heads and poo poo. He was a pale, beta feminist who hated himself as all people should strive to do.

The only black musician I would stalk is Tricky.

Not them talking but here is the piece Kurt and William collaborated on:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3cxvzd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

He'll never be the head of a major corporation.

• Locked thread