Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
What does "edgy" mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

K. Waste posted:

What does "edgy" mean?

I'm guessing people mean that one kid who is in his mid 20's and still says dead baby jokes to people.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

K. Waste posted:

What does "edgy" mean?

In this case it appears to mean some sort of unique abrasiveness, a propensity for shock that makes it unsavory and offensive. What's being said in these reviews is that as opposed to Ayers' prior films, Suicide Squad is as edgy as a tennis ball.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I actually hope this movie could actually be edgy. I love when things walk that line of being in good taste. But that's a hard line to walk.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Vintersorg posted:

Nothing can be as bad as the new Fantastic Four.

It's not that bad. It just suffers greatly from studio meddling.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

It's not that bad. It just suffers greatly from studio meddling.

this has become such a mantra for superhero movies that I can't even tell which one you're referring to.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

The guy said he was joking. The movie is trash regardless.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The_Rob posted:

I actually hope this movie could actually be edgy. I love when things walk that line of being in good taste. But that's a hard line to walk.

For this movie to actually be considered edgy, it would have to kill off Batman or something like that. Which obviously they can't do, due to Justice League and everything.

poo poo, you want to make it edgy? At the end of the movie, when the Squad is getting helicoptered away after success, have Waller blow up the chopper. We smash cut to her in front of a court martial saying "They were all hardcore criminals and they had done their job" and we get a *gavel* "Not Guilty!"

You could even still have a sequel by claiming it was a fake out so they could be considered dead for the next big mission.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ayer's Street Kings has a 36%, I really dug that. Sabotage too, that has 20% for example. I don't put any stock in RT numbers. I'll know whether I dig this particular flick after I see it.

My guess, since I really like most of Ayer's movies and most of them are "rotten", I likely may like this too. Even Harsh Times is rotten, who knows. Of course it has a 7 on imdb. That's how this stuff works, everything interesting is rotten on RT and has a 7 on imdb, or so it seems. Who puts movie taste by committee anyway?

As for Suicide Squad, I guess that has a 9 on imdb at the moment. None of these numbers mean anything in particular.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 2, 2016

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Sabotage is 20%? Sam Worthington's dirtbag goatee alone is worth 25%!!!!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Sabotage is 20%? Sam Worthington's dirtbag goatee alone is worth 25%!!!!

Hell yes!! And let's add 5% for that guy Sawyer from Lost being awesome. And I personally add 5% every time Arnold gives somebody an intense look.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Of the three Ayers films I've seen, none of them have been edgy, then.

Like, Sabotage comes the closest to that definition, and I feel like the most pertinent thing about it is less what it's 'trying to do' and more that what it is is a movie about what if the militarized, self-interested macho-men of Three Kings don't get the 'saving grace' moment.

Doesn't the idea that Suicide Squad isn't edgy fit the film's overt thematic advertisement even better? That there's a difference between someone being 'bad' (possibly abrasive, annoying, offensive, having aspects that you don't like) and being 'evil'? Wouldn't 'edginess' undermine the entire conceit that what makes Joker bad is what he does, not, like, his jokes?

edit: Like, what makes Joker evil isn't that he says poo poo like "I can't wait 'til you've seen my toys!" It's that what he means by "toys" is that "I aspire to be Batman."

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

K. Waste posted:

Of the three Ayers films I've seen, none of them have been edgy, then.

Like, Sabotage comes the closest to that definition, and I feel like the most pertinent thing about it is less what it's 'trying to do' and more that what it is is a movie about what if the militarized, self-interested macho-men of Three Kings don't get the 'saving grace' moment.

Doesn't the idea that Suicide Squad isn't edgy fit the film's overt thematic advertisement even better? That there's a difference between someone being 'bad' (possibly abrasive, annoying, offensive, having aspects that you don't like) and being 'evil'? Wouldn't 'edginess' undermine the entire conceit that what makes Joker bad is what he does, not, like, his jokes?

I think we need more words to describe stuff. Edgy has become a negative adjective in entertainment, "grimdark" is another fav. What's it even mean, to say whether or not this movie or his others are edgy? It's so subjective. Personally I'd say gritty for sure. Though that's also a bit vague.

For me his movies tend to have entertaining dialogue, good tension, move at a good pace, and don't feel too cliche. If I had to use one word to describe his movies, it'd be "good" I guess.

It's a movie about villains (some sympathetic cons in there too no doubt) forced to go on a suicide mission. It's a fun concept, maybe having antiheroes and no clear moral center makes it edgy in comparison to a straightforward superhero movie like Avengers 2 etc. But I'm just sort of rating all these movies on how they do at what they set out to do.

tl;dr, here's a rambly post where I come to no conclusions about stuff, movies are good though folks

I'm not quite sure what you mean about Joker though, he's often been a pretty grim villain. And if anything, Leto's performance looks very fun. Certainly a less grim and nihilistic presentation than the iconic Ledger version.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 2, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Judakel posted:

The guy said he was joking. The movie is trash regardless.

Cool

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Heavy Metal posted:

As for Suicide Squad, I guess that has a 9 on imdb at the moment. None of these numbers mean anything in particular.

Well the main difference right now is that the ratings on RT are from people who have seen the movie

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Colonel Whitey posted:

Well the main difference right now is that the ratings on RT are from people who have seen the movie

Granted, though I'm sure a few of them are critics, maybe some not deemed worthy by RT. Did you know they don't count reviews from AintItCoolNews for example? I guess on RT so far about 19 of them liked it, and 37 didn't. I still don't think there's anything to glean from that, unless somebody genuinely thinks they have no personal taste.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Heavy Metal posted:

Granted, though I'm sure a few of them are critics, maybe some not deemed worthy by RT. Did you know they don't count reviews from AintItCoolNews for example? I guess on RT so far about 19 of them liked it, and 37 didn't. I still don't think there's anything to glean from that, unless somebody genuinely thinks they have no personal taste.

I mean, it's a pretty simple concept: 56 people saw it and 37 didn't like it. It's a general idea of ratios. As of now, it appears more likely that a lot if people won't think it's good. Now you know your odds, if you want to see it, go see it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I mean, it's a pretty simple concept: 56 people saw it and 37 didn't like it. It's a general idea of ratios. As of now, it appears more likely that a lot if people won't think it's good. Now you know your odds, if you want to see it, go see it.

Your point goes off the rails a bit when you assume a correlation between the non-random sample that is reviewers and the non-random sample that is me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Sir Kodiak posted:

Your point goes off the rails a bit when you assume a correlation between the non-random sample that is reviewers and the non-random sample that is me.

They aren't dictating how you should feel. You're independant enough to post on a forums with bad language, so you can decide whether or not you want to see a wide release PG13 movie.

RT just provides you with your odds for liking the movie, so people on the fence can decide whether they want to waste their time or money on it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Rotten Tomatoes is biased against the DCU Movies

https://www.change.org/p/rottentomatoes-com-shutdown-rotten-tomatoes

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

RT just provides you with your odds for liking the movie, so people on the fence can decide whether they want to waste their time or money on it.

Rotten Tomatoes is not a random sample of the public, so it is not a way to determine the probable enjoyment of a random person from the public. Beyond this, I possess significant information about my own preferences such that it would be dumb to ignore that information and pretend to be random person from the public, even if Rotten Tomatoes was representative.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 3, 2016

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
It sounds like some baffling decisions were when they were putting together this movie. why would you need to give a separate 5+ minute introduction to each of the characters on the squad, that's one step short of giving each of the 13 dwarfs in the hobbit a 5 minute introduction to explain their background and motivation. Who loving cares, this is a big dumb stupid movie, people don't want to have to wait 20-30 minutes for the story to start.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

A bunch of people, who have their own thoughts and agency, didn't like a movie I liked. Better get the loving president involved.

Some people are not fit to live.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Starsfan posted:

It sounds like some baffling decisions were when they were putting together this movie. why would you need to give a separate 5+ minute introduction to each of the characters on the squad, that's one step short of giving each of the 13 dwarfs in the hobbit a 5 minute introduction to explain their background and motivation. Who loving cares, this is a big dumb stupid movie, people don't want to have to wait 20-30 minutes for the story to start.

oh no

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Can anyone just spoil the main plot beats? I'm not going to waste 14 dollars on this, but I'm morbidly curious about what Enchantress' deal is and how she ends up as the big bad (her gimmick is the only one that's even mildly interesting).

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If you have T-Mobile you can get a free ticket for Suicide Squad but you have to buy it by the end of day today

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Harlock posted:

If you have T-Mobile you can get a free ticket for Suicide Squad but you have to buy it by the end of day today

DC must be really worried, as they have poured millions into giving every t-mobile subscriber a free friday ticket.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Starsfan posted:

Except it's not, Deadshot and Harley get 10+ minute intros, Captain Boomerang gets 2 minutes, everyone else is literally checklisted. it's hilarious

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Can anyone just spoil the main plot beats? I'm not going to waste 14 dollars on this, but I'm morbidly curious about what Enchantress' deal is and how she ends up as the big bad (her gimmick is the only one that's even mildly interesting).

Saw the Australian preview screening on Monday, here's a plot dump

Opens with an intro to the prison, introduction of characters. Deadshot kills a guy, then hangs out with his daughter who knows what he does. Batman comes to beat him up, Deadshot goes to shoot him, and the daughter gets inbetween him and asks him not to.

Harley Quinn gets introduced with her treatment of the Joker, she gets tortured, then there's a club scene where she ends up grinding on some mook in front of Joker. Then her and Joker go for a joyride in the Jokermobile, Batman comes, the car crashes into a lake and Joker has disappeared leaving Harley behind. Batman punches her square in the loving nose.

Captain Boomerang gets busted by the Flash during a diamond exchange heist. Diablo is shown being held in an iron lung, Killer Croc is fed a pig carcass, and I can't even remember is Slipknot is shown during this intro bit at all.

It shows how the witch possesses the body to become Enchantress. Captain Hardass Goodguy falls in love. Amanda Waller introduces her to a security council meeting, Enchantress disappears and gets a folder of weapons/plans from Tehran. Waller is able to control Enchantress because she has the witches heart. Suicide Squad is given the greenlight.

Enchantress is in her normal person guise and starts having a nightmare, and transforms to the witch. Goodguy tries to shoot her and tries to call Waller, but she gives him some vision and makes him stop/hang up. She disappears and steals a figurine from Waller's hotel room or something, teleports to a subway station, appears in a mirror to some random dude and makes the statue posses him. She calls him Brother, he starts loving things up like the original dude from Prototype.

Goodguy and Enchantress get dispatched on a mission, Enchantress says goodbye to Goodguy and disappears to join her brother. Goodbuy calls it in to Waller, Waller starts stabbing the heart with a pencil, and Enchantress ends up in a symbiotic power share thing with Brother so the heart doesn't really matter while he's alive. She starts a big spell thing because humans are worshipping machines instead of her now, and transforms people into Cthulhu style zombies covered in eyes, I think - I was up the front because we got there late and forgot my glasses but it looked a bit creepy but real dumb, too.

The Squad gets pulled together by Goodbuy to go rescue a High Value Target in the city where poo poo's going down. They're implanted with tiny bombs in their necks that Waller and Goodguy control. Their helicopter crashes, no one is hurt, they move out. Captain Boomerang convinces Slipknot to try and escape with him, Slipknot runs away and gets blown up. Harley Quinn has had a phone since they've left the jail somehow and checks it with everyone around her and is texting with Joker.

They fight a bunch of the zombie things, then get to the building where the target is. They have another zombie attack and Diablo burns it all down and you get his backstory about how he got so angry at his wife he burned down his house with his wife and kids in it. The HVT turns out to be Waller. Everyone's mad but the bombs make them keep going. Joker comes to rescue Harley, he disables her neckbomb and she jumps into his helicopter. Waller orders Deadshot to shoot her while she's dangling out the bottom and he misses on purpose.

Waller orders another helicopter to their spot to get out, it gets taken down and she gets captured by the zombie thingos. Enchantress plugs into her mind and uses her to find locations of secure spaces for the spell thing to gently caress up.

Everyone has a crisis of faith and goes to a bar. They have a pep talk, this is where majority of Killer Croc's five lines are. Deadshot decides to be a good guy for his daughter and stop the end of the world, everyone else joins him. They go fight Brother and blow him up when Diablo unleashes his True Inner Strength and transforms into a firey big man (I think Diablo dies at this point when they kill him too, I can't remember). They all team up to fight Enchantress, who stops and goes for a fight three times like a video game boss battle until Goodguy gets the heart and crushes it, killing her. Enchantresses witch skin rips open and Goodguy's girlfriend is inside.

Deadshot gets to visit his daughter and there's a hypotenuse lesson using the firing angle of his gun to a target. He has to go back to jail though. That's pretty much it, then there's a mid-credit sequence where Waller hands Bruce Wayne a bunch of files for Justice League members.

I think that's it? I thought it was better than BvS but there's a lot of aping Guardians of the Galaxy with obnoxious music beats that doesn't really work when it's not woven in to the plot. DC continues to be so close yet so far to the Marvel blueprint, basically.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

So... after all the hype The Joker is barely in the movie and has next to zero plot significance? Neat.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
These bad reviews make the "Leto really DID go crazy and become the Joker" poo poo even more cringeworthy.

I'm still gonna see this because I'll watch and at least enjoy any superhero movie, but how many more critical bombs can DC take before scrapping their extended universe?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Terrible Horse posted:

I'm still gonna see this because I'll watch and at least enjoy any superhero movie, but how many more critical bombs can DC take before scrapping their extended universe?

Paramount seems to be doing just fine with known critic bomb Transformers.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

computer parts posted:

Paramount seems to be doing just fine with known critic bomb Transformers.

Suicide Squad failing is actually a much bigger problem than a particular Transformers movie under performing, because it doesn't have a cameo from Jack Reacher and xXx and exist in the same universe, although to be fair if it did I would actually consider watching it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It was a totally different time, but how was The Losers? I was track down a copy of it, but I forgot. I kinda thought that movie would get a second look with Suicide Squad coming out.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

It was a totally different time, but how was The Losers? I was track down a copy of it, but I forgot. I kinda thought that movie would get a second look with Suicide Squad coming out.

The Losers is real good.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vintersorg posted:

Nothing can be as bad as the new Fantastic Four.

This is not an exaggeration. That movie was so loving poorly made, the latter half is half reshoots that are obvious because of a terrible wig, and the final battle takes place in the most generic background known to man. I've watched some lovely movies, but its rare that one that poorly made actually gets out.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Marketing New Brain posted:

Suicide Squad failing is actually a much bigger problem than a particular Transformers movie under performing, because it doesn't have a cameo from Jack Reacher and xXx and exist in the same universe, although to be fair if it did I would actually consider watching it.

The point is that box office success is not related to critical success, and that's what will determine anything about future films.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

I thought The Losers was a fantastic, fun action movie, and a terrific adaptation of the comic, which was a fantastic, fun action movie series in comic book form. Jason Patric chewed the scenery as the villain, Zoe Saldana, Idris Elba, and Jeffrey Dean Morgan were cool in their parts, but a pre-Captain America Chris Evans stole the movie, playing the best character from the comic.

It suffered from coming out the same summer as The A-Team and The Expendables, which had very similar plots and bigger names in their casts. I still haven't seen either of those, between general lack of interest and some kind of loyalty to The Losers.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

It suffered from coming out the same summer as The A-Team and The Expendables, which had very similar plots and bigger names in their casts. I still haven't seen either of those, between general lack of interest and some kind of loyalty to The Losers.

I'd say the A-team is of a similar quality to the Losers - a fun action movie to watch and then mostly forget about until reading some post on the internet and going 'oh yeah, I liked that movie'.

The expendables was too dark for me. Not tone, lighting.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

MrFlibble posted:

The expendables was too dark for me. Not tone, lighting.

The series is quite impressive in how consistently bad the lighting and editing is.

E: DC's universe building is so hilariously blunt if those spoilers are true. Entire marketing of the film for months revolves around Harley Quinn and Joker, an enormous segment of the film is devoted to her backstory aaand....she bails out of the film early on and Joker barely shows up outside the backstory. They might as well have had her yell "See ya in Batman (2020)!"

I mean I know the rest of the cast sans Will isn't very photogenic (poop witch, flaming hot hispanic guy named Diablo, boomerang man, rope man, Japan), but still.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

These reviews have made me very worried now for Wonder Woman, and Justice League. Warner Brothers and DC need to get their poo poo together pronto. Back to back awful movies like this is not good in this genre.

• Locked thread