Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Fart Butt Cartoon Piss ran for 2 years, putting out a total of 185 episodes. It is currently available on Blu-Ray from Amazon.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Bo-Jack Horseman!

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
i guess it is supposed to be funny. whoa.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I like the episode where he can't speak underwater

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Abortion episode wasn't very good.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
A cartoon about horse people living in a humanlike society? With adult themes?

Sign me the gently caress up

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Nathilus posted:

Is this more like ponies for people with self awareness, or daria for non-teenaged non-emos? Or maybe it's like venture bros but for non-gays?

This.

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

i think you mean bo jackson, op

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

ButteCysts posted:

im going to bojack off into a sock

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
People coming in here talking poo poo only embarrassing themselves imo

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

just finished the last episode, season owns

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

People coming in here talking poo poo only embarrassing themselves imo
i agree with this post

about to watch the tenth ep

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Spoilers for season 3

what the heck happened with the manatee that his publicist handled? Felt like they were gonna kill her but wimped out and switched to the killer whale in whiskerfaces pool to try and tie up that thread related to Jill pill (who ruled and vanished immediately)

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
The best part of getting hella drunk before you watch bojack is then the next time you watch it you don't remember anything that happened, it's like you get to watch the new episodes twice!

#lifehack

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Christmas Special is probably the funniest episode of the show

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Radical Catholic posted:

So, that under-the-sea episode. Fuckin shoutout to early 2000s IDM, right?

Came here to ask what the name of that genre is, thanks!

I liked part of the episode a lot but the lengthy seahorse baby chase really dragged on and was too whacky. Though I suppose it's tough to figure out to keep engaging in a voiceless episode without getting into physical comedy.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I hope my fetus has a soul
and feels pain when I eject it from my hole

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007
Show cuts so close to home that one girl I knew burst out in tears when she realized uggs are now a 10 year old trend after the 2007 ep. I then left her on the couch, got really drunk and went to a VIP line, where I pretended that millennial culture is still hip & edgy, and I am still relevant.

Nothus Infelix
Jan 1, 2006
Scelesti vulgus superstitiosus ignavusque sunt.

Laughing Man posted:

I remember when season 2 came out someone posted a thread with "Mr. Peanutbutter Dies" and I watched all season waiting for it to happen thinking and was totally bummed when that didn't happen
Bojack Horseman Season 3: Orca Stripper Dies
Bojack Horseman Season 3: Sarah Lynn Dies
Bojack Horseman Season 3: Diane's Baby Dies

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the only thing that died this season... was my soul

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I hope and pray to God
My little fetus has a soul
Because I want it to feel the pain
when I eject it from my hole

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

cheerfullydrab posted:

I finished it and it's all real sad

:same:

I just watched it and I think reading Achewood for five hours would have been less demoralising.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
There is no way that a show that veers in tone between Futurama style wacky humour, pop culture jabs and effective drama has any right to be this effective. I was not crazy on the first few episodes of season 1. I just thought it was another bawdy animated show. It still is, but it's got a very strong and cutting through line. This show would never last on TV because the audience would not pick up on poo poo like the guy who decides to live on a massive peaceful estate because he has discovered what is truly important in life.

I am also willing to bet it is the most paused show in Netflix history. A lot of work went into those background jokes.

Mr. Peanut-butter kinda is Ray from Achewood though. I can totally see the connection there.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
It's unbelievable how bad the first half of season one is

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

That first episode always gets me, how everyone, as they're talking to each other, is just explaining their relationships and what they think of each other.

"Todd, you're not my roommate, you sleep on my couch for free!"
"I know you secretly have a good heart"
*phone rings*
"Hi Bojack, it's your agent-slash-girlfriend!"

But yeah, takes a massive upswing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Spoilers for season 3

what the heck happened with the manatee that his publicist handled? Felt like they were gonna kill her but wimped out and switched to the killer whale in whiskerfaces pool to try and tie up that thread related to Jill pill (who ruled and vanished immediately)

So this is what it feels like when other people talk about Pokemon.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
its bad on purpose

thats how satire works you see

wait no come back

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Captain Lavender posted:

That first episode always gets me, how everyone, as they're talking to each other, is just explaining their relationships and what they think of each other.

"Todd, you're not my roommate, you sleep on my couch for free!"
"I know you secretly have a good heart"
*phone rings*
"Hi Bojack, it's your agent-slash-girlfriend!"

But yeah, takes a massive upswing.

They almost pull this off with the flashback where herb tells bojack not to ask if the audience gets the joke but continue to explain the joke for the rest of the season

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

I haven't gotten around to season 3 yet, but if it hits anywhere as close to home as Bojack trying to hook up with his ex and almost banging her daughter it will be amazing.

I'm not saying that happened to me, I'm just saying like, it's relatable as gently caress. poo poo is REAL

EDIT: Er wait she wasn't his ex. Point still stands.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

this underwater episode is absolutely bizarre

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Flaked is really bad. Bojack gets better

Flaked is good though, but it doesn't make me go on a bender where I wake up being thrown out of a strip club for trying to sleep in the Champaign Room

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Frog Act posted:

The payoff was worth it, in my opinion.

edit: I want more Meow Meow Fuzzyface.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 25, 2016

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Frog Act posted:

If I was to remake lost in translation that's how I would do it.

One thing I will say about the show is how rock solid it is on it's characters and their arcs. It knows exactly what it is trying to say. I dunno if it is the Netflix thing where it is all plotted out before hand and audience feedback makes little difference, but it feels like they had solid boundry on all the characters and they are telling their story based on that. Often to make things interesting in long form narrative, they will invent a drama or event that shakes up the status quo. Like a character's brother dying and it affecting their cheery outlook, someone having a kid and giving up their career, someone deciding to settle down and give up their arguably self-destructive job or even someone getting 8 million dollars and becoming independent.
Everything in Bojack feels organic and subversive. Everyone is the same person as they were in episode one. It's just our perceptions of them that change. It's especially highlighted in the last episode. Todd is the sexless comedy sidekick and he can never grow outside of that. He is a cartoon character and cannot have real agency or emoitions. It's the Bojack Horseman show not the Todd show. I am sure someone who is sexually null might find it empowering that he "came out" as that. But it really is just him accepting his existence as ancillary comic relief. He would not be funny if his emotional level was anything above a dog's. Love it or hate it, It's really loving solid writing for a show about animal people in Hollywoo.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lastgirl posted:

thats what makes it really good tbh

i feel so adult for appreciating its adult themes and thats what makes it satirical in its own self, it's very meta~

you either get it or you don't, but there's varying levels of absurdity that do have its merits for comedic purposes

BoJack is a flawed horse/person, he can be somewhat likeable but at other times a huge dick and an irredeemable selfish prick who constantly makes bad choices and bemoans himself, and the tragedy of that is hilarious in its own sad way. That's where its hit or miss for people.

Its blistering satire and sarcasm isn't for the average dullard who wants cheap laughs and tits, its meant for jaded "lol nothing loving matters anymore, im surrounded by so much stupid gently caress it" people, and you can check me in that category

namaste

i look forward to season 3, i liked all of them

yeah, I agree

it's a good show

S3 was good

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I liked season 1 but I thought season 2's drama was maudlin and poorly written.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

notZaar posted:

I liked season 1 but I thought season 2's drama was maudlin and poorly written.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdhveixpV24

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I never had a problem with Season 1 or 2. I guess the background gags kept jerking my attention away from the dialogue at times. If anything I felt like 3 started off the slowest but 3 episodes in and I'm loving it.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
I like that everything worked out for those other agents

Definitely thought this season was going to end with Bojack killing himself

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
It's a good show. Not hugely funny and very depressing, but interesting story and characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Lonos Oboe posted:

If I was to remake lost in translation that's how I would do it.

One thing I will say about the show is how rock solid it is on it's characters and their arcs. It knows exactly what it is trying to say. I dunno if it is the Netflix thing where it is all plotted out before hand and audience feedback makes little difference, but it feels like they had solid boundry on all the characters and they are telling their story based on that. Often to make things interesting in long form narrative, they will invent a drama or event that shakes up the status quo. Like a character's brother dying and it affecting their cheery outlook, someone having a kid and giving up their career, someone deciding to settle down and give up their arguably self-destructive job or even someone getting 8 million dollars and becoming independent.
Everything in Bojack feels organic and subversive. Everyone is the same person as they were in episode one. It's just our perceptions of them that change. It's especially highlighted in the last episode. Todd is the sexless comedy sidekick and he can never grow outside of that. He is a cartoon character and cannot have real agency or emoitions. It's the Bojack Horseman show not the Todd show. I am sure someone who is sexually null might find it empowering that he "came out" as that. But it really is just him accepting his existence as ancillary comic relief. He would not be funny if his emotional level was anything above a dog's. Love it or hate it, It's really loving solid writing for a show about animal people in Hollywoo.

Regarding Todd end of s3 you're right. It doesn't feel forced either because he's been a sexless character without external interests all three seasons. It wasn't a bait and switch. I knew that was where it was going after he turned her down at the wedding rehearsal

• Locked thread