Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

:siren: LATEST VERSION :siren:
1.0!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O6PUh3reG0

What is Starbound?
Starbound is a videogame created and published by Chucklefish Games, the publishers of Stardew Valley, Risk of Rain, and a bunch of other games no one gives a heck about. The game has been in development since around early 2012, with the first Early Access release/beta invitations in April of 2013. In these three years, the game has seen many highs and many lows, showing a great amount of promise despite the obvious lack of direction behind its development. Whether or not the game is any good is timultuous topic to this day, and will likely be a subject of hot debate for years to come. Hopefully it's good!!!

That sort of answers my question, I guess.
Starbound is a multiplayer 2D action platformer and space-exploration sandbox game with minor civilization building and optional survival elements. It bears a feature set that promotes gathering loads of various materials in order to upgrade your equipment and construct bases/towns/whatever on procedurally generated planets that you visit with your upgradable and (mostly) customizable space ship and crew. It has a lot in common with games like Terraria and Minecraft at its core, though it aims to allow a player to focus on different "paths" of progression other than mindlessly slapping palette-swap enemies with increasingly stupid looking swords (you will still be doing this a lot though). Players will eventually be able to create settlements and villages of NPCs, create farming colonies on endlessly generated planets of increasingly inhabitable elements, and/or scour the deadly depths and devious dungeons of the universe in order to gather up enough treasure to pay their way to the end-game.

Should I buy this game?
There isn't an obvious answer to this question, believe it or not. In a perfect world, where the game actually lives up to most of its promises and potential, this would be a definitive "yes", but development has been shaky these past few years and there are many who, understandably, don't believe in Chucklefish's ability to continue making this game worth the purchase price. Constant shifting of their priorities, the lack of solid goals and the influx of feature creep, as well as constantly walking back on ideas they defended to the death (backwards walking speed, touch-damage combat, everything involving how guns work) doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room for trust. That being said, if you've got 15 bucks to blow and you enjoy the style of gameplay found in Edge of Space or A Valley Without Wind or Terraria, you'll probably like Starbound. Turthfully, it has loads of potential, and there's enough of a base game there that's worth playing, that if you're not too keen on specific features it's likely that modders can take of that for you.

There used to be a road-map detailing what the developers feel like the game needs to have in order for it to be "feature complete" but it was thrown out long ago, so anyone that brings it up in order to prove a point or whatever should not be trusted and is a garbage person most likely.

-Functionally infinite, unique, and highly detailed universe for you to explore. Discover ancient mining colonies, apocalyptic hellscapes, and icy research facilities while delving deap into a precdurally generated planet's depths in search for treasure.
-7 races, each with their own distinct architecture, aesthetics, lore, and technologies. From Owrwellian Apes to Starstuff Cowboys, to mysterious cultists and whatever the hell those mushroom dudes are supposed to be.
-Hundreds of mostly-distinct pieces of equipment. Clash laser-swords with robo-knights in the stars while you slaughter thousands of bird-people with machines guns and bazookas.
-Special "techs" or powers you can slot, that allow you to access abilities such as quick dashes, limited flight, or teleportation in order to compliment your platforming and base-building or spice combat up a little.
-Food crafting system that lets players craft short-term buffs in order to prepare themselves for specific obstacles and adventures, with many unique recipes utilizing dozens of home-grown ingredients.
-Customizable, upgradable space-craft used to travel the stars. Build a crew of same-ey NPCs that will chill on your ship and follow you onto planets so that they can get stuck in tiny crevaces or die in lava.
-Dozens of unique biomes to be found on tiered planets, with hundreds of hand-crafted mini-dungeons and jumping puzzles in addition to larger and more dangerous locations.
-In-depth quest system with procedurally-generated missions alongside important story-related objectives and dungeons.
-Multiple paths of progression, from monster slaying and hunting to farming and colonization. Almost every crop in the game is able to be farmed yourself, and there are several domestic animals with strange properties you can raise in order to harvest materials like cotton, batteries, and plant fiber.
-Countless diverse monsters and beasts, procedurally generated alongside their home planets. Hand-crafted, unique monsters with special abilities can be found as well, and almost any creature can be captures and tamed like a less complex pokemon or whatever.
-ABC Notation-based music system, where players can upload ABC files in order to play music from one of many different musical intruments. Form bands, and blast Death Grips midi remixes into the galaxy.
-Heavy mod support, allowing almost every facet of its composition to be tweaked, expanded, and destroyed by the ever-growing modding community.
-A bunch of other stuff that is less impressive to put in a list.

You begin play as a some nobody with a busted ship, a broken sword, and the clothes on your back, and its up to you and you alone (unless you're playing multiplayer) to get yourself back on your feet and take over the galaxy.
I actually don't know anything else about the story as it was only recently added to the game in the past few months, and in bits and pieces, so I'll update this as I find out what's going on. You join an organization that fights evil or something? And you gotta' gather heroes? I don't know.

Internet Friend posted:

I was watching people play on Twitch and one of them died of hunger in the middle of an unskippable cutscene

Outside of the quite-linear story missions, there is an endless, procedurally generated universe out there to explore. Adventure takes place on Planets, which are tiered according to the level of the Star System they're in. There is a large amount of variety to be found within the larger biomes, from peaceful forest planets to the hellish volcano poison death zones found in the more unstable star systems. In addition to the nearly two-dozen primary biomes are many sub-biomes and underground biomes, like fields of giant flowers and caves made out of and inhabited by slime or flesh. Within these biomes and sub-biomes, you'll find pre-generated structures like Apex lab facilities and jumping puzzles, Avian Temples filled to the brim with gun-toting guards, abandoned mine shafts and even the occaisional portal to a devious puzzle realm.
While spelunking through caverns and such, might come across the fossilized remnants of civilizations and creatures that existed a long, long time ago, which you can clean up and donate to a meuseum, or add them to your private collection like some kind of movie villain.

Most of the obstacles you'll come across in your journey amongst the starts are the living, breathing kind. All kinds of messed up creatures will impede your progress, like fire-breathing turtles, flying rock-dropping balls of fuzz and sentient light-bulbs that can float through terrain for some reason. Alongside the pre-generated monsters are a bestiary of procedurally generated monsters pulled from a library of parts and pieces and tailored to specific biome types. Combat used to be based largely around timing attacks and blocks as well as situational awareness (yay!) but now it's boring touch-damage combat where the ai just tries to get you physically inside of them at all times (boo) but you can even the odds with clever tech usage and one of the many bizzare weapons available to you, such as eyeball-shooting swords and homing cluster-rockets. Almost every weapon has a primary attack and a secondary attack, so that you can really mix-and-match your way to death-dealing greatness.

If you don't want to be a space hobo for some bizarre reason, or you've beaten the game by collecting 1000 of every block and you need a place to store them all, you can find yourself a nice plot of land on some backwoods planet and build yourself a big dumb castle. Dungeons and towns and such can be scanned in order to add specific objects to your ever-growing catalogue of craftable items and furniture, or you can wantonly loot and pillage of all of their precious building materials in order to decorate your palace of larceny. Some furniture items, like anvils, crafting benches, and storage containers like wardrobes and chests, even have uses other than looking pretty! You can build gigantic farm plots in order to harvest some of the game's many different crops in order to craft weapons, armor, and food. The game also contains a wiring system so you can hook your lights, doors, and elevators into switches and pressure-plates.

Your stage of operations is your ship, with each race having their own unique cruiser that is completely customizable (at least the interior) and upgradable in order to give yourself more space and unlock game features. Also present is your crew, which you assemble from NPCs you meet on your journeys and recruit from the Outpost. Each crew member has a role, such as Engineer or Medic, that affect life on your ship, as well as give you bonuses as they accompany you and die horribly on your many adventures.

If you decide to settle on some planet or another, you can start building yourself a little colony. By meeting certain requirements such as furniture variety and living space, you can start pulling in NPCs like guards, traders, and random villagers to your little town. Besides the obvious benefits of having dudes defend your stuff or guys to help offload the garbage you've picked up out of the sewer biomes, you'll also be able to take advantage of your tenants paying you rent and giving you dumb precuderally-generated quests to go find them a chair made of fire or beat up a nerd or whatever.

Kill your friends.

Hosted by Revol:

Official Discord Channel

Starbound Website
Chucklefish Forums
Official Twitter
Official Wiki
IRC:
#starbound
irc.synirc.net

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Starbound has very open support for mods and modders, complete with its own mod hosting site and forums, as well as Steam Workshop support.

The modding community is very active, especially around update times, and you can find a wide variety of mods, such as content expansions, new biomes and planet types, entire new races and even detailed gameplay system additions. There are even a few talented goons modders skulking around in the shadows just outside of your peripheral vision.
To install a mod, put the folder in your \Starbound\giraffe_storage\mods\ folder (this is likely out of date, I'll update it when I get a chance to see the final file structure for myself)

<I'll eventually get around to compiling a workshop list of all the recommended mods, but there's not a ton right now so I'm not gonna do it yet>

Essential/Bugfixes
-

Quality of Life
Faster Farming
Reduces the growth time of each plantable crop by a factor of about 3, to something approaching sane levels. Also guarantees at least one produce and one seed per harvest.

Fun Stuff
-

first thread
previous thread
please be nice to each other in this thread, this is a warm and welcoming community of gamers!

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 25, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCY0aeUx-Ns

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 22, 2016

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

What a game its been!

I really wish they'd gone full-on Contra with shooting mechanics, as some guys late in the previous thread had suggested.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I should probably reinstall this and give it a fair shake. It's been like a year since I last checked it out.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
Soldat is where it's at. It even rhymes.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If you haven't played the game in a long time, now's the best time to get in and give it another go!

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
So the reviews for this game on Steam look pretty positive, I think I am going to go ahead and buy it. What server do Goons play on?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Ground floor on bad game thread

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

If you haven't played the game in a long time, now's the best time to get in and give it another go!

No thanks

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
Any good basic beginner's guide for getting off the ground in 1.0? Just bought this game having never played it in EA, finished intro and made planet fall but the first quest's goals seem a little vague. This compass in the upper right is pointing toward the mission objective right?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Until someone makes an enormous overhaul mod, count me out. Playing space digdug but with the tech of a caveman for the first ten hours has zero appeal.

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008
I am installing this one last time. If this release doesn't at the very least keep me interested enough to leave my first planet then I just don't even know what the gently caress anymore. I'll be back with a trip report.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

We'll see if I can get my $15's worth out of the game now.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I had a pretty great time with this back in the day playing co-op with a friend of mine. We mostly just wanted More To Do and more refined game systems. Colonies and fossils and pets and story quests seem to fit the bill, so I'm gonna have to give this a shot.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Have they improved the progression at all? I got as far as like the second boss, the flying saucer, back when they were mandatory progression gates, and gave up. Is that still a thing?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao I mean yeah if you've actually been keeping up with development I can see why you wouldn't want to go in again but the game has legitimately gotten better in the past few months. Maybe some aspects (combat mainly) aren't as good as they were once upon a time...

CoffeeBooze posted:

So the reviews for this game on Steam look pretty positive, I think I am going to go ahead and buy it. What server do Goons play on?

Someone in the last thread was thinking about renting a server, if they show up again with it I'll link it in the OP. As of right now I don't know if there are too many servers up but goons don't really play on anything for the time being so I would see if you can hunt down one of the official servers if you want to play with other people.

prussian advisor posted:

Any good basic beginner's guide for getting off the ground in 1.0? Just bought this game having never played it in EA, finished intro and made planet fall but the first quest's goals seem a little vague. This compass in the upper right is pointing toward the mission objective right?

A lot has changed since the last unstable release and this final release, including a very large portion of the questing experience, so you might just have to throw yourself at it for a while until people can get a grasp on the new progression. I'm not terribly familiar with the compass, when I get some time into the game tonight I'll see of I can do a write-up or something.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

prussian advisor posted:

That's not a compass.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

It's about loving time

Somebody get a server up so we can all bitch about it together and maybe have fun(???)

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Cicadas! posted:

Somebody get a server up so we can all bitch about it together and maybe have fun(???)

I'm been thinking about buying us a server, probably from multiplay because they have a sale going on. If we can get some interest going, I'll buy it after I get off work today.

https://discord.gg/xMW2dNG

Come join the discord for the potential server so we can talk shop about how it should be run and what awesome non-pervert mods it should use.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Cicadas! posted:

It's about loving time

Yeah I would probably join somebody's server as a doofy plasma cowboy. I've decided they have the dumbest, and therefore the best, aesthetic.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Gonna play this bad game. That's what I do. That's what I've always done.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I guess the casual difficulty setting doesn't drop your inventory when you die, for anyone who cares. You don't have to eat, either.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So did they back out on the idea of Racial Abilities? It's real hard to find up to date information right now on basic stuff like that.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I guess the casual difficulty setting doesn't drop your inventory when you die, for anyone who cares. You don't have to eat, either.

Oh thank god

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I was checking out the wiki and ahaha what is this?
I know it's probably a coincidence but the head and the naming scheme of http://starbounder.org/Geode_Set this are really familiar to me for some reason...

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Gonna give this game another chance, I guess. Did they make finding treasure actually exciting, or is it still going to be the same old "You found 2 pixels and a rusty spear!" bullshit that was part of the game way back when?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Trying this myself since I always wanted it to be good and got my money's worth a couple times over in early beta. Here's hoping they made an enjoyable game despite themselves. :3:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

star

bound

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Oh yeah, people forgot to post the original advertisement for the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0MBDzzW4b0

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!
I think I'll play sum GTA starbound tonight - wish me luck tell my family I love them

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

RIP coupe

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Make Starbound Great again

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Anyone else getting lots of crashing?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Update on earlier post: so the Discord chat has gotten lively enough to sell me on buying the server. I'll hope to have a private (friends and family welcome) Goon server up by 7:30 EST. Open to suggestions on server rules and settings. Difficulty being pretty important, I assume y'all want the easy setting to turn off hunger and such.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'll update the OP with your server info when it's up!

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Revol posted:

Update on earlier post: so the Discord chat has gotten lively enough to sell me on buying the server. I'll hope to have a private (friends and family welcome) Goon server up by 7:30 EST. Open to suggestions on server rules and settings. Difficulty being pretty important, I assume y'all want the easy setting to turn off hunger and such.

I've been at it for about an hour and hunger has added nothing to my Starbounding experience, really.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Berious posted:

Ground floor on bad game thread

Maybe it's mediocre now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Here's a kind of important tip: Make sure that when you're making your character, it's set to a difficulty that only makes you lose 30% pixels on death, or else you'll have to get used to dropping everything on death every time