Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Orgophlax posted:

I really don't understand peoples' hate for this. Minecraft is way more boring in my opinion.
Oh it totally is, I agree.

Terraria is still more fun than either I think, but I guess I'll give 1.0 an honest attempt, though it may have to wait until I feel like taking tons of loving fall damage again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Internet Friend posted:

I was watching people play on Twitch and one of them died of hunger in the middle of an unskippable cutscene
Add to OP please

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I tried this again, seeing as its 'released' now, and its as boring and meandering as it always was with the same terrible UI but now theres an awful unskippable cutscene where the text is so tiny you cant even read it. Good stuff

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I played this for a little bit when it released EA and played it a bit again yesterday.

Random observations:
- some of the weapon types feel very clunky. So far I've only used broadswords and spears because I don't like the windup time on hammers/axes and the one-handed stuff didn't feel powerful or easy to use. The guns also don't feel very impressive. At least so far.
- everything feels a lot more lethal than terraria and everything feels like it takes a lot longer to kill. The damage on touch is annoying.
- I threw a capture ball on a monster and left it behind somewhere and now I can't resummon it, mostly I have no idea how all that is supposed to work
- recruited a couple crew members (sidenote: is that just a random chance after doing any quest for someone or do you have to do the longer quest chains?) Was excited at first but they do like no damage at even the next tier of planets so...
- didn't realize that flags count as bookmarks so I may start a colony today. I'm terrible at building things and making them look pretty but I do like the ton of furniture and poo poo in this game. Guess I'll pick a random planet and make some hovels
- didn't mind the story quests so far although I imagine they'll be annoying to slog through on new characters. Got beat by the hylotl boss dude so now I'm aimlessly flying around to random planets but I'm not sure if the gear I've picked up is any better
- inventory UI is pretty clunky. Seems like there's no sorting to chests and you can't use items without putting them on the hotbar???
- I'm a casual scrub which is how I like it which means I wasn't paying attention to food but this also means there's no passive regen if you're just walking around which kind of sucked

Game was enticing enough to keep playing but given the amount of time it's been in development I'm surprised at some of the stuff that's missing or barebones.

Derakarsis
Aug 7, 2007
Hope you've had your shots
Has anyone found a reliable way to get their hands on upgrade modules? Are they craft-able at all?

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

StabMasterArson posted:

I tried this again, seeing as its 'released' now, and its as boring and meandering as it always was with the same terrible UI but now theres an awful unskippable cutscene where the text is so tiny you cant even read it. Good stuff

Explain what you think a terrible UI is, cause I just tried playing Terraria again, and holy poo poo is it the most unintuitive game ever. (Why does ESC not bring up the menu?!)

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Orgophlax posted:

Explain what you think a terrible UI is, cause I just tried playing Terraria again, and holy poo poo is it the most unintuitive game ever. (Why does ESC not bring up the menu?!)

Both games have terrible UIs.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah I'm not a big fan of this new shortcut bar at all. Reminder that you can click the little black and white boxes at the top left of the bar (or hit x) to swap to a second set, though.

Jackard posted:

Add to OP please

it's pretty lol so I did

Derakarsis posted:

Has anyone found a reliable way to get their hands on upgrade modules? Are they craft-able at all?

they were craftable in the beta, out of like diamonds and stuff, they might be on a higher tier crafting bench

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Derakarsis posted:

More to the point, how exactly are you supposed to make use of them? I just got the ship space-worthy again and I'd like to upgrade it. I only have five so I'm not sure it's enough to accomplish much but I'd like to make use of what I do have.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Not shitposting, genuine opinion:

This game loving blows. How is this indicative of 5 years of progress? When I think of my own career/life in terms of 5 years of progress --- just loving lol. They must really have had a nice half a decade vacation.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

What parts do you have the most problem with?

Just curious, I figure, especially this early in the thread, we should be more specific about airing out our grievances. I'm not going to completely disagree with you either; I feel that if they worked as they did in this past few months (since the last release, really) during the rest of development then we'd have a very different game.

Also if they didn't throw out their roadmap/design document so early into development.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
ooim picking a torch from my toolbar but it doesnt hold it in characters hand and light my surroundings, you can only place them on walls??

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

There's a flashlight in your ship locker and you can buy them from the Outpost when you get there.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

ooim picking a torch from my toolbar but it doesnt hold it in characters hand and light my surroundings, you can only place them on walls??

That's what the flashlight is for.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

How do I use food from my inventory? Or how do I auto-refill an empty food slot on my hotbar?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Babe Magnet posted:

What parts do you have the most problem with?

Just curious, I figure, especially this early in the thread, we should be more specific about airing out our grievances. I'm not going to completely disagree with you either; I feel that if they worked as they did in this past few months (since the last release, really) during the rest of development then we'd have a very different game.

Also if they didn't throw out their roadmap/design document so early into development.

Nothing feels intuitive. The new inventory system is really poo poo. Somehow, everything comes off really bland. None of the different species feel any different. I can say enough bad things about the combat and while it is a scifi setting it somehow doesn't feel that way.

Edit: Come on, if someone says this:

victrix posted:

How do I use food from my inventory? Or how do I auto-refill an empty food slot on my hotbar?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Dug deep enough on my starting planet to find walls of flesh and trees filled with delicious Pussplums :gonk:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I'm going to play it again if only to see all the jank peeps are talking about itt

Internet Friend posted:

I was watching people play on Twitch and one of them died of hunger in the middle of an unskippable cutscene
lmao

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Who thought this base matter manip digging/cutting speed was fun :psyduck:

Someone tell me a fast way to find MM upgrade modules, this is brutal

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The single player lag takes the game from goofy-bad to not playable-bad for me :( I'm not even walking fast and I keep hitting unloaded chunks

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Debumanize and face the brutality that is Starbounds garbage gameplay.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Seems the server has been more stable overnight. We'll see how it goes throughout the day.

I've done some searching for mods. Some I know I will install, mostly just simple life improvement and UI stuff. The rest, I want feedback on.

FrackinUniverse - This is a big mod pack that adds a lot of content. New weapons, armor, resources, biomes, etc etc. Seems pretty good.
FrackinRaces - This adds racial buffs to all vanilla races and the most popular mod races.
Illuminated Ores - Self explainatory. Not sure if these makes things too easy, though.
Active Stealth Module - Doesn't seem overly powerful.
Gound Penetrating Radar Station - Would make underground exploration too easy?
Base in a Box - Place prebuilt bases, or copy a base you build and paste it elsewhere.
Skizot's Dozers - Dozers to make leveling terrain a breeze.
Food Rarity - Color rarity for food, also hints to what the food does.
Hunger for Casual Mode - Nobody wants to play survival because of item loss. Do we want hunger?
XS Mechs - Who doesn't want mechs?

Other mods I plan to add include instant crafting, improvements to containers and UI, food stacking, and DPS stats for weapons.

Mods I look forward to finding include more UI improvements, improved farming (don't have to be on planet for things to grow), and more content. Open to suggestions.

One thing we need to figure out is where we'd get the mods from. Right now there are two sources; the Chucklefish forums and Steam Workshop. It appears that Steam is more popular, I think a few mods were uploaded on Steam for 1.0 but not updated on the original Chucklefish forum. At the same time, there's bound to be some mods that don't show up on Steam if the author has a DRM copy of the game. I'd want to use Steam, though, since I could easily make a mod pack collection.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!
The one thing that seems to be really making me at least PLAY the new version is the easier multiplayer. Iv'e got random people on my friendslist playing at the same time and now it's a breeze to get 4+ stupid star explorers together to hinder each other more than they help.

Nothing like tossing a bomb onto some ore, having it ricochet back onto all of your friends before it explodes and kills then, then finding out one of them turned on survival mode :unsmith:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

for anyone who wants to know how to eat food from the inventory: click on it and then click outside of the inventory box with it

i don't think anything in the game hints at this

also i genuinely find myself not giving even remotely a poo poo about the generic-rear end story in this

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

like i'd rather just play the blightfall pack for minecraft again instead, which is a hell of a lot more fun

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It kind of sucks that you have to do the story at least a little bit to unlock features like the Scanner but at least you can skip a bunch of it by gathering crew, saving up money, etc.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
because i am dumb and easily hyped i am updated the Peglaci to the new edition

god help me i'm getting excited

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

It kind of sucks that you have to do the story at least a little bit to unlock features like the Scanner but at least you can skip a bunch of it by gathering crew, saving up money, etc.
It has been a really long time since I've played this game, but decided to try again since it hit 1.0. The thing I enjoyed most was flying to absolutely random planets, checking out some new and unique alien creature, and killing it.

I've already given up because instead of doing that it's pointing me towards a fetch quest tied to the story that I already want to get away from as quickly impossible to be able to repair my ship to explore the galaxy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Orgophlax posted:

I really don't understand peoples' hate for this. Minecraft is way more boring in my opinion.

Minecraft is also about 5-8 years old, and basically defined the genre. While it's not got much depth, what's there is there for you to play with off the bat, it's an actual sandbox.

Whereas this is a loving tedious series of grinds to unlock yet more tedious grindy features that don't do anything. It's got nice things to build with, and that's it. Everything else is unfun and tedious. Minecraft is about 80% building stuff so at least most of Minecraft is actually fun, albeit lacking in the amount of stuff that's in it.

Minecraft's combat is pretty rear end but the objective of the game is arguably to avoid it, and you can avoid it because you spend most of the game in controlled environments where you can detect monsters before you fight them and build walled bases to keep them out. Starbound is heavily combat focused and it's combat is rear end, but unlike minecraft the majority of the game's content requires you to fight stuff, which given they've created one of the most sluggish and clunky 2d combat engines out there is pretty dire.

Like, how do you get 2d combat this bad, terraria has better 2d combat and it's got far fewer mechanics, but your character is fast and mobile and there's a lot you can do in avoiding enemy attacks, whereas in Starbound everything just blunders into you and knocks you around, there's no meaningful progression of abilities unlike terraria, and no worthwhile loot because everything's randomised so you don't get any of the useful items to look forward to like terraria.

My whole argument can basically be summed up as "who the gently caress looked at terraria and said "hmm, that's not fun, what would be better is if we slowed everything down, took out all the interesting pickups, and gated everything behind a linear as gently caress progression system, and removed the single coherent world so that all the building parts are 100% useless, so what we get is a 2d platformer/side scroller with bad combat, which discourages building but gives you a lot of stuff to build with, and instead of metroidvania-style ability progression we just lock specific mechanics behind plot doors."

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 23, 2016

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
drat haven't played this in years until today. I wish I still hadn't played it in years, what the gently caress have they been doing all this time

I just don't understand how my computer doesn't blink at 1080p Dark Souls 3, but this lovely 2D sprite game hitches constantly.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

This is fun and the story fluff isn't offensively bad and it's easy enough to ignore it.

I like the combat too! It's not mind blowing but I think it's atleast better than Terraria's.

Anyone know if that Frackin Universe mod ends up overcomplicating the crafting systems that are already in place?
Otherwise, sounds pretty enticing.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 23, 2016

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Wow. . .I'm playing the game and. .. I'm having fun. Like the starter quests aren't too heavy so far. Most annoying thing I've run into is that I found a couple of machine pistols and they do gently caress all damage and eat through my energy *way* too fast. I appreciated the tutorial and it being a cute way to get you out and about. The Floran Dialogue is as always hilarious, and I enjoy the weapon combo mechanic.

I'm enjoying myself on survival even because It gives me something to do beyond mindlessly working towards quests, which would get boring and tedious quickly. I'm a survivor! I'm surviving! That said I'd probably keep it Casual on a MP focused character.

Techs no longer take energy, which is cool, but I miss the dash tech being usable in midair allowing me to quickly traverse the terrain. Now it's only on the ground. :v:

Sticking points: I want a map. Goddammit, Terraria made exploring caves fun because whenever I needed to, I could open up a map and ensure I knew where I was and how to get back home. Why don't I have a PDA or something that lets me know where I am? I don't have enough torches to keep a trail going and I run out of wood pretty quickly when making platforms. That said I appreciate how easy it is to make grappling ropes, but still unsure where that rope goes to after I use it. Shouldn't I just need the one?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

dog kisser posted:

because i am dumb and easily hyped i am updated the Peglaci to the new edition

god help me i'm getting excited

yeah I'm going to resume work on Mantizi soon

there is soooo much poo poo I have to do to get them feature-par with the standard races. Last time I was working on them I was just making a ton of furniture and learning how to work that map editor so I can get villages to spawn.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i mean, i've brought it up before, but the big reason why minecraft is so popular still is because of the massive glut of huge mods that exist for it. it's almost amazing the weird poo poo people can pull off. vanilla minecraft is dull as gently caress, but there's currently no contest between modded minecraft and starbound. maybe we'd already have a lot of giant mods and poo poo for this if it'd been released in 1.0 years ago, but welp.

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010
My main issues, which I hope get modded in some way are:

The controls just feel kinda.. flakey? I never feel like I'm totally in control of the character, which seems to often want to hurl itself off hills and inclines. There is no precision platforming, I'm dreading ever finding a challenge dungeon

Took a long while to find some better weapons, and they do mostly feel like varying degrees of meh.
I get a little bewildered by people saying it's better than terraria, which was always responsive and on point for me, this one feels very bullet spongey and mostly an exercise in trying to kite or kill at range, monsters are way too unpredictable at close range for my liking, and most of the melee weapons are clunky, none I've found so far have been especially great, they either have slow windups, or annoying movesets.. maybe this will change, not too far in

The UI is not great, no. I hate the toolbar, it adds nothing. They could've just put maybe 2 or 3 different L/R slots and that was all that's needed. Also, not making it so the R/N buttons toggle back to the previous place just makes that annoying
The wasted space in the toolbar apparently makes it awful for lower resolutions, a friend of mine has his all overlapping

Crafting feels more of a chore than it was before somehow, I've had most fun just exploring planets, doing the odd quest, selling stuff and buying new gear. Possibly it's just due to needing 6 workstations or so to begin with, which felt a bit annoying, and I just never really got round to it

The workshop is probably the best decision I think they've made, I've got a number of mods which fix things that are annoying, so I'm actually kinda optimistic the modders might make this an enjoyable game

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

FluffySquirrel posted:

Crafting feels more of a chore than it was before somehow, I've had most fun just exploring planets, doing the odd quest, selling stuff and buying new gear. Possibly it's just due to needing 6 workstations or so to begin with, which felt a bit annoying, and I just never really got round to it

My problem with crafting is, yeah, too many workbenches, but also that they added in timers to all of the items you need to craft, and you can't even do anything like select another items, move, or browse another crafting tab while you're making something, or it cancels.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i feel like they could have just had 1-3 on the toolbar as those weird 2-hand things because who honestly needs more than 3 loadouts available at any given time and left the rest as normal slots that you can put non-gear stuff in freely

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

My problem with crafting is, yeah, too many workbenches, but also that they added in timers to all of the items you need to craft, and you can't even do anything like select another items, move, or browse another crafting tab while you're making something, or it cancels.

Yeah, that was one of the mods I wouldn't play it without. The amount of times I crafted something, thought it was done and clicked on something else, then realised eventually it hadn't done so.. not worth the bother

On a side note, I finally see why people are complaining about single player lag, I thought it was just their machines or something, because it's been relatively smooth for me. But I just did one of the bounty quests and the guy spawned in some minions. And the game completely shat itself. Went full on slideshow, at one point it had frozen for a good 30 seconds, but it still made sounds every so often when I tried to fire. That's definitely not good, needs to be fixed

Even when all but one of them was dead the lag remained, it's like it triggers on certain creatures

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm not getting too much lag like that, but I am experience a lot of chunk update latency, which is making the hoverbike basically useless for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I got a rocket launcher early on where the alt-fire was a guideable rocket so I haven't had much problems with stuff. It also hits like a brick so it is now my primary weapon.

I also found a Floran village and now half a dozen Florans all want to be crew members on my ship, but every single one of them is an engineer. Do I need engineers??