Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Remember searching for the *perfect* buddy icon that prefectly represented your soul?

Remember formatting those Stroke-9 lyrics just right so that maybe that cute girl in American History would comment on your font & color scheme?

GBS remembers....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Necc0 posted:

Remember searching for the *perfect* buddy icon that prefectly represented your soul?

Remember formatting those Stroke-9 lyrics just right so that maybe that cute girl in American History would comment on your font & color scheme?

GBS remembers....

yes

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Tell me about your America Online™ Instant-Messenger memories, Nooner

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
I had this cool gradient text effect tool for chatting and my info

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I guess I don't, actually. I was thinking SmarterChild was one of those chatbot things.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
smarterchild is siri, i know this because she remembers all of the nasty poo poo i told her in 2002

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I don't actually remember any of this. And I am pretty sure I am a better person for it.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Strudel Man posted:

I guess I don't, actually. I was thinking SmarterChild was one of those chatbot things.

Same here??

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Strudel Man posted:

You're not wrong

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
no

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Same here??
They are trying to deceive us. Stay strong.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Necc0 posted:

Tell me about your America Online™ Instant-Messenger memories, Nooner

this 100x away messages were VERY important

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

loving kids these days

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
also making up fake accounts to troll friends and enemies

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
I had a million AIM screen names, but I had one called "NinenInchNails" (notice the extra n) and everyone would message me "OMG ARE YOU TRENT REZNER?!" and I pretended I was, and it made me feel whole.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
When I learned the %n hotkey I used it to set a fake away message where you'd read it and think that my message was a chat convo where you were coming out of the closet it to me. A lot of people bought it. Once I got home my parents grounded me because apparently my aunt was friends with me on AIM and locked herself in her room crying.

lol

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

lol it was so easy to spoof user names and pretend to be your 7th grade enemy

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Necc0 posted:

When I learned the %n hotkey I used it to set a fake away message where you'd read it and think that my message was a chat convo where you were coming out of the closet it to me. A lot of people bought it. Once I got home my parents grounded me because apparently my aunt was friends with me on AIM and locked herself in her room crying.

lol

loving lol

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
apparently the grey background of this forum is the exact same grey of old school America-Online™ Instant Messenger and to be frank- I don't think it's a coincidence

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
or maybe some of them just use transparent backgroudns idk

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
one time in 2014 i logged into my old aim account just for shits to check out my circa-2006 buddy list.

in a list of about 100 the was one dude online. he instantly messages me HEY MAN I HAVENT SEEN YOU AROUND IN 8 YEARS HOW YOU BEEN

i logged off immediately. 99% sure it was a goon too.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Necc0 posted:

or maybe some of them just use transparent backgroudns idk

Oh yeah I remember being able to see my wall right through my monitor wherever there was an AIM chat

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
when you finally worked up the courage to message that cute girl from math. she didn't jump onto aim that often and she just signed on now's your chance now or never dickhead

hey what's up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxVQ9rhjyTY&t=6s

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Iron Prince posted:

one time in 2014 i logged into my old aim account just for shits to check out my circa-2006 buddy list.

in a list of about 100 the was one dude online. he instantly messages me HEY MAN I HAVENT SEEN YOU AROUND IN 8 YEARS HOW YOU BEEN

lol I can just imagine his buddy list slowly depleting over the years then logging on every day hoping that someone would be on.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Lol, I was like a fetus when this poo poo came out grandpa!

Iron Prince posted:

:iceburn:

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
I used to have a cash register sound play CHUCK-CHING! for whenever my girlfriend from high school logged on.

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
i used to have trillian cause it saved chatlogs by default and used it to connect to IRC. it also had tabbed windows, it was very ahead of its time. the only time i ever used the chatlogs was to throw it in my friends faces when they would contradict themselves at a later date

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Necc0 posted:

loving kids these days

im 60 years old

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Necc0 posted:

GBS remembers....

It wasn't Stroke 9 it was Blink 182.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
:bigtran: is all I need

PostEldar
May 7, 2004

I'm in your area.
do you remember how you could roll dice in AOL chatrooms in, what, like 95? I cried all night because I was slain by an elf in the red dragon inn.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Radical Catholic posted:

do you remember how you could roll dice in AOL chatrooms in, what, like 95? I cried all night because I was slain by an elf in the red dragon inn.

What. No? How did you do this?

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Such promises, such a tied of lies and broken oathes.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

LOADING HACKING TOOLS.EXE

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

i used to have trillian cause it saved chatlogs by default and used it to connect to IRC. it also had tabbed windows, it was very ahead of its time. the only time i ever used the chatlogs was to throw it in my friends faces when they would contradict themselves at a later date

About a year ago I was drunk as gently caress and digging through all my old backups from ghosts of rigs past past and deep in a backup inside a backup inside a backup I found my trillian log that contained all of my middle school / high school chatlogs.

I deleted it without hesitating.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Monday_ posted:

It wasn't Stroke 9 it was Blink 182.

lol you dumbass

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I used to get erections in math class. From doing equations. :smith:

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Someone should buy smarter child an account.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

solaranus posted:

Someone should buy smarter child an account.

only if it still has the option to do "manicdotes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I don't remember any of this but generally children are dumb as gently caress.

• Locked thread