Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Mister Macys posted:

I wish I could find the ads for this game, because there was an ad for it that said, "Break your chains" with the classic raised fist.
Always wanted it as a poster.

Found it:

:lol: I never noticed that the game doesn't show the orbits of Neptune and Pluto overlapping. A little too simplified.

Blast the chains of slavery straight to Hell. Join the rebellion and fly the hottest ships in the stars. You'll master six unique craft in your quest each with different flight characteristics and weaponry. You'll fly more than 70 unique missions, success or failure determining a destiny that lies along one of five different paths. The cost of freedom is high. Are you willing to pay it?

I was, and I did :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

How long do humans live in this universe? The Sol info thing says that Colonial Navy training takes 47 years.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The anti-age drug mentioned in Earth's description suggests they can live up to what I assume is 100 years longer.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 20, 2016

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They lost one sky city on Jupiter and killed 57% of the population. But they spoke of having lots of them. Maybe they chained them together and one failure pulled the others down...

"Colonisation of the Sol system was completed in 140 years." Mars was the first planet to be colonised, in 3095 AD. The colonisation of mercury happened "sometime" after 3076. Venus was colonised after the success of the first mines on Mars, in 4024 AD. Jupiter had its sky city collapse in 4091, 8 years after being settled in 4083. They started trying to jump out to Alpha Centauri in 4140.

They seem to have this massive deadzone covering a bit over 900 years. Or someone did some good maths and concluded that 3095 + 140 = 4135

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The hell were we doing as a species from current times to the year 3000?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Building space sheds to shove excess humanity into.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Probably nuking ourselves into the stone age and rebuilding, going by how these things tend to be written in sci-fi.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Update 09 - Total Victory

Colony Wars Episode 9 - Sol System Part 3
Colony Wars - Sol System Information
The League enters the Earth zone and crushes the remainder of the Empire's forces. The Tsar boards his personal craft, the Super Titan, and is soundly defeated on his own doorstep. With the League's victory confirmed, humanity leaves behind their home system and spreads out among the colony worlds, whom now rule themselves in a universe free of both the tyrannical Empire and the League that rose up to defeat it...

e. Crap. There's a subtitle error on the Typhoon. Reuploading.
e2. Ok I fixed it.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 21, 2016

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Don't think I ever managed to beat the Super Titan way back when, at least not without the unlimited ammo cheat. That seemed a lot easier than I remember, but I'm also pretty sure as a kid I wanted to make things as grand as possible so I had a habit of trying to swoop around and be really dramatic which, ironically, makes you an easy target as opposed to just moving back and forth. I'm half convinced they used the not-quite-best ending because so many people couldn't beat the last mission, but that could just be me trying to make myself feel better.

Thanks for the LP, it was nice to see it all again and I look forward to Vengeance, and even Red Sun which I only ever played the first bit of.

A lot of those Soviet military stories are untrue by the way, which is why they don't make much sense :v:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

FlamingLiberal posted:

There are a few 90's era Sci Fi titles that seem to leave space colonisation off till 3000+ Or later.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Today I tried to confront the audio issues I knew I'd have with Vengeance. There's just no good way around them, and I've identified two settings that give and take away something, something I shouldn't have to deal with but that's my PC's entropy for you. So, thread I need you to decide which sound setting I should use that you will prefer to hear in all this game's missions.

Vengeance Full Audio Test
Vengeance Half Audio Test

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If I had to go with one I guess it would be half sound? But I'm terrible when it comes to hearing differences like this in audio so I'd probably not have noticed anything without you posting the two videos.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

There's a profoundly obnoxious pop when firing lasers with all the sound effects. It persists on a more accurate emulator and between sound plugins because DirectSound and all. It's an irreparable issue on my PC no less.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The half audio sound doesn't seem to lose too much quality and removes the pop, so I'd go with that.

The pop also only happens for Anti-Shield lasers, it doesn't seem to happen for the normal ones.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
I honestly didn't hear the pop too terribly, and this is on headphones which made me wince listening to some of my old audio, so that's my vote.

Also, a YT documentary folks might be interested in would be by Kim Justice, on Psygnosis/SCEE Studio Liverpool (1984-2012)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Replace all the sound files with clean versions.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Replace all the sound effects with Roboky and Coolguy doing the sound effects.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Like those X-Com Guide episodes Jadestar did.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Construct an interactive evolutionary algorithm for laser pop reduction and spend 8 hours teaching it what you don't like.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I just feel like when these problems persist I'm not producing the right kind of video :sigh:

At least Deus Ex Mankind Divided came out. We're recording tomorrow anyway so no worries!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Update 10 - The Navy Strikes Back

Colony Wars Vengeance Episode 1 - Sol & Gallonigher Part 1
The people of Sol are united once again after decades of civil war and system-wide decay. Their new leader, Kron, reinstates the military branch of the long-gone Empire, the Navy, and forges a path for his people out of Sol, ending their isolation and enabling the fire in their hearts to rage.

Breaching the warp hole once again, the Navy heads straight for what they assume to still be the heart of the League of Free Worlds in Gallonigher...

I think this might be a 3 part because Sol & Gallonigher are closely entwined, but after that it becomes very straightforward. There's 6 acts (with the first of Gallonigher seen here being a one-off mission act) so should be! I'll post the character bios and whatever else is interesting from the manual after the next update or two, just need to collate it. Also, the explosions are still loving gorgeous.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 26, 2016

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
That was pretty much as I remembered it - and gently caress that communications rig, it can go straight to hell.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Lunethex posted:

Update 10 - The Navy Strikes Back

Colony Wars Vengeance Episode 1 - Sol & Gallonigher Part 1
The people of Sol are united once again after decades of civil war and system-wide decay. Their new leader, Kron, reinstates the military branch of the long-gone Empire, the Navy, and forges a path for his people out of Sol, ending their isolation and enabling the fire in their hearts to rage.

Breaching the warp hole once again, the Navy heads straight for what they assume to still be the heart of the League of Free Worlds in Gallonigher...

I think this might be a 3 part because Sol & Gallonigher are closely entwined, but after that it becomes very straightforward. There's 6 acts (with the first of Gallonigher seen here being a one-off mission act) so should be! I'll post the character bios and whatever else is interesting from the manual after the next update or two, just need to collate it. Also, the explosions are still loving gorgeous.

God, I love the music in that intro CG. :patriot:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Ok it's time for the big question I have been wanting to ask and almost forgot: what is Mertens' getup in reference to? The Japanese facepaint and samurai flag set up. Is this a reference to something in particular or what.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Vengeance looks really good. Like wow, a little bit of lighting and a lead indicator helps a lot.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think the only thing I don't like about Vengeance was some of the fighter designs for the Navy and League but like you said some of them are really cool too. And given how often I ran out of shields in the first game the Leech beam was a god drat revelation when I first used it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Lunethex posted:

Ok it's time for the big question I have been wanting to ask and almost forgot: what is Mertens' getup in reference to? The Japanese facepaint and samurai flag set up. Is this a reference to something in particular or what.

Personally, I thought it looked like a very stylized Sioux flag and themed war paint.

- each tepee has a white dot lower, and red upper.

- Paint across the eyes

Other
- Destroyed by the English and French
- Left isolated on "reserves" and ignored by the wider world
:smith:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 26, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
An A-Wing took out the Super Star Destroyer, but we all know it was caused by a cowardly suicide bomber pilot!

Get justice for the Empire, kill all Rebels on sight!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

An A-Wing took out the Super Star Destroyer, but we all know it was caused by a cowardly suicide bomber pilot! FUSELAGE

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

At no point did the pilot die or bail out, he crashed into that bridge! :colbert:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
A starfighter is just a fuselage that hasn't had the less deadly bits shot off yet.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lunethex posted:

Looks a bit simple for Kabuki makeup. Definitely more like the face paint of one of the American tribal nations, or some of the south Pacific islanders. Papua New Guinea tribes use a lot of full-face solid colour blocks.

Probably just wanted it to look tribal and otherly.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
So that Earth looks a lot more blue and green than it did in the last game. I thought Colony Wars Earth was like Warhammer 40k Earth where it's mostly paved over and the oceans have dried up so they built cities in the ocean beds and such.

FUSELAGE

:argh:

That always, always annoyed the poo poo out of me. Guess the Empire had plenty of pilots to churn through so no big loss to them.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

When ships exploded in CW I must have gotten stuck in the collision loop about 9+ times, thank god that isn't going to happen anymore :(

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

To be fair, it COULD happen with Imperial fighters. But rebel ships tend to have the absurdly over-strength shields the Tie Fighter games love.
If you watch the movies, you'll notice that usually rebel fighters can survive 1, maybe 2 hits before exploding (TIEs cannot survive even one)

Amwhere
Jan 3, 2013
The original Colony Wars has unused sound clips detailing various things - such as weapon information.
For example - the League cockpit's voice system:

Or the need for the League to train:

Vengeance doesn't have anything - although one can rip the music, if they wanted.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Wow, where did you find that?

lol, Data Warriors. That first one is glorious.

Amwhere
Jan 3, 2013
You can root around Playstation files using jpsxdec (https://kenai.com/projects/jpsxdec/pages/Home) - in Colony Wars' case, the interesting bits are in Database.pak and Missions.pak. Vengeance was a royal PITA to snoop in - as Windows kept throwing 'Invalid MS-DOS' function errors. However (take a drink :) ), if you have jpsxdec scan an unmounted CD image, you can get things out.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

That is just loving magical. I'm gonna go through that and find all the unused stuff.

e1. Man they had some plans for this game, no joke. The afterburner in Vengeance was going to be there, they had plans for fleshing out each fighter (Bombers with invincible front shielding to help with attacking fleet craft!) and the weapons too. If they managed to get all that on the disc I'm kind of surprised they left it inaccessible to listen in on.

e2. "Direction Lock: Allows craft to fly in one direction and shoot in another" man I wish I had that :sigh:

e3. 4 minutes of talking about the craft HUD :allears:

e4. Going down the list of Mr. Apathy the Commander Man rifling off names of planets/systems when selected. Then a sound file of him clearing his throat :lol:

e5. :stare: There's a different sound file for betraying the League with a bunch of air noises like a barren wasteland. Harsh. Bet it was intended to have a cutscene where you see someone dying at a prison mine camp or something.

e6. Oh cool, in the Diomedes mission to prevent the virus bombing of Iris, there is a sound file indicating that you had a last minute grace period where you could destroy the Destroyer before it launches that payload.

e7. :allears: "This is command. Medi-craft has been destroyed. You are aware of course that your failure has cost the lives of pilots far better than yourself. Return to base and await further instructions."

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
I started watching this the other day, and this game is kind of amazing. I sort of wish i'd been more into flight sims that weren't TIE Fighter way back when.

E: yep, there it was. Short and sweet.

Continuing E: holy poo poo, the database articles are gold. For one, the League fleet craft are gaaarbage. "Hey, our ships are exactly the same size as the enemy counterparts, have as many guns, and go just as fast! They're just kind of... 1/2 to 1/3rd as tough and they have maybe a third of the sensor power. Maybe."

Also, "Wiping out a field of children."

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 29, 2016

• Locked thread