Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hello:

quote:

Many new technologies are born with a bang: Virtual reality headsets! Renewable rockets! And old ones often die with a whimper. So it is for the videocassette recorder, or VCR.

The last-known company still manufacturing the technology, the Funai Corporation of Japan, said in a statement Thursday that it would stop making VCRs at the end of this month, mainly because of “difficulty acquiring parts.”

The Japanese newspaper Nikkei reported on the impending demise earlier this month.

The news represented the death rattle of a technology that was considered revolutionary when it was introduced in the 1950s. It took several decades for VCRs to make their way into consumers’ homes, but in its heyday it was ubiquitous and dominant.

According to the company — which said in the statement, “We are the last manufacturer” of VCRs “in all of the world” — 750,000 units were sold worldwide in 2015, down from millions decades earlier.

In 1956, Ampex Electric and Manufacturing Company introduced what its website calls “the first practical videotape recorder.” Fred Pfost, an Ampex engineer, described demonstrating the technology to CBS executives for the first time. Unbeknown to them, he had recorded a keynote speech delivered by a vice president at the network.

“After I rewound the tape and pushed the play button for this group of executives, they saw the instantaneous replay of the speech. There were about 10 seconds of total silence until they suddenly realized just what they were seeing on the 20 video monitors located around the room. Pandemonium broke out with wild clapping and cheering for five full minutes. This was the first time in history that a large group (outside of Ampex) had ever seen a high-quality, instantaneous replay of any event.”

At the time, the machines cost $50,000 apiece. But that did not stop orders from being placed for 100 of them in the week they debuted, according to Mr. Pfost. “This represented an amount almost as great as a year’s gross income for Ampex,” he wrote.

The first VCRs for homes were released in the 1960s, and they became widely available to consumers in the 1970s, when Sony’s Betamax and JVC’s VHS formats began to compete. VHS gained the upper hand the following decade; but Sony stopped producing Betamax cassette tapes only in 2016.

Photo

A Sony Videocassette player in 1970.

By the 1980s, the VCR was catching on with ordinary Americans. In June 1984, The New York Times wrote that analysts expected 15 million homes to have the machines by the end of the year, up from five million in 1982.

A consumer guide published in The Times in 1981 — when the machines ranged in price from $600 to $1,200 — explained the appeal:

“In effect, a VCR makes you independent of television schedules. It lets you create your own prime time. You set the timer and let the machine automatically record the programs you want to watch but can’t. Later, you can play the tape at your convenience. Or you can tape one show while watching another, thus missing neither.”

But only a decade after the technology became common in American households, the introduction of the DVD, in 1995, sounded the older technology’s death knell.

A Times article in 1997, when DVD players were first released to consumers, did not disguise its excitement for a new horizon: “Sound the trumpets, and roll the drums. The digital video disk, or DVD, is here.” Within five years, sales of DVDs had surpassed those of video cassettes.

But less than a decade after DVDs began their reign, the shadow of streaming video loomed. A 2011 headline in The Times made the decline of the hardware explicit, as technology’s circle of life continued its churn:

“Goodbye, DVD. Hello, Future.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/22/t...e-vcr.html?_r=0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Do any goons have any fond memories of using VCRs? I do.

Please discuss them itt. Also, how does this news make you feel? Please discuss your feelings ITT.

This is the spot for discussion :cool:

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
*plugs in VHS recording of 1995 stick stickley broadcast*

N-N-N-NOOOOOOOOOOO

Verily I Shat
May 24, 2015

by Smythe

Verily I Shat fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 24, 2016

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
was there a copy of the vcr thread?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

remember how every VCR always had a clock blinking 1200 op lol

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

no one could figure out how to set them!

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I pretty much used mine to play Nintendo, because I was too poor for a good t.v. that didn't need that work around for the display.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That's racist.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mES3CHEnVyI

Taping from VCR to another until, well just watch.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
The poor kids had VCP's.

We had a Betamax before we had a VHS. For some reason the Betamax was two different boxes that plugged into each other and the remote control was connected with a really long wire to one of the boxes. I also though the machine looked a lot cooler than the VHS but whatever.

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot
Ah, the joys of rewinding will be forever lost.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

jackyl posted:

was there a copy of the vcr thread?

Yeah. It'll have 3 times the content, but the quality is about 1/2 as good.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I remember when they started making VCR's where you just had to tap the rewind or fast forward button instead of holding it down the whole time and it was like "holy poo poo why didn't they always do this?"

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Blue Train posted:

remember how every VCR always had a clock blinking 1200 op lol

Blue Train posted:

no one could figure out how to set them!

Get this entity a development deal!

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
good, then it is time to buy the last vcr I will ever need.

what's the best model

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Remember the old commercials for ITT Tech or whatever where they offered a degree in VCR repair? Haha, good luck in the job market now, idiots. :smuggo:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Hrist posted:

Remember the old commercials for ITT Tech or whatever where they offered a degree in VCR repair? Haha, good luck in the job market now, idiots. :smuggo:

Now that you won't be able to buy a new VCR, in about 4-5 years the VCR repair market will get big because of people who still have large VHS collections that they want to hold onto or what not will probably pay someone to fix and maintain their old 90s, Japanese-made SVHS decks or something.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I still have a VCR hooked up, I just used it last week.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

quote:

After I rewound the tape and pushed the play button for this group of executives, they saw the instantaneous replay of the movie. Apparently CBS's CEO had the same exact idea as me because as soon as Ghostrider first appeared we yelled out "HOW'D IT GET BURNED?" in our best Wicker Man impressions. The rest of the people in the studio loving lost it and the rest of the movie turned into a MST3K riff fest. Afterwards, pandemonium broke out with wild clapping and cheering for five full minutes.

And thus, the VCR was born.

Autumn Angel
Jan 18, 2014

quote:

According to the company — which said in the statement, “We are the last manufacturer” of VCRs “in all of the world” — 750,000 units were sold worldwide in 2015, down from millions decades earlier.

Huh, I wouldn't have expected the demand to still be so high in 2015.

I wonder how long until VCRs become some kind of rare, expensive piece of retro gadgetry? It'll be kind of funny if they eventually command huge prices like so many old game consoles do now.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

looks like you need to adjust the tracking on the forums

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Truth be told, I kinda prefer VCR and videocassettes. I feel that the analog signal preserved on the tape results in a 'warmer' picture...more enjoyable than the sterile image we get from flatscreens

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Other than a couple home movies, a few TV specials I can't find anywhere else and old NFL games - my entire giant VHS collection is worthless

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I have both the movie Speed and the movie Dungeons and Dragons Plus a Wayans Brother on VHS and there is no way to get rid of them because no one will take them.

I'm pretty sure I could leave the D&D one on a far mountain top and it'd make its way back to me through some sort of ancient curse or whatever.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Autumn Angel posted:

Huh, I wouldn't have expected the demand to still be so high in 2015.

I wonder how long until VCRs become some kind of rare, expensive piece of retro gadgetry? It'll be kind of funny if they eventually command huge prices like so many old game consoles do now.

While it exists now, I'm sort of wondering if an even more ultrahipster market of people who horde and collect old VHS recordings of everything from local TV broadcasts to home movies will become a bigger thing. There will be a special rarity to these literal never-to-be-seen-again contents that they won't even make copies of them so as to not dilute their value. Like someone will have a complete and unedited rough cut VHS copy* of The Day The Clown Died that only they and they alone can possess. They will unsheathe it now and then for private viewings with close, like-minded collectors, until the day someone who desires it more bashes them over the head with vase to claim it as their own.

(*Possible that it could exist? Jerry Lewis apparently used some video assist method for recording to video at the same time as filming traditionally with one of his movies. The idea of there being a box of VHS tapes of every stage of the filming might be possible with that film as well if they weren't taped over with soap operas.)

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 24, 2016

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
my school play where I played the nazi who caught anne frank will forever be lost, and I think we will all be poorer for it

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

criscodisco posted:

I remember when they started making VCR's where you just had to tap the rewind or fast forward button instead of holding it down the whole time and it was like "holy poo poo why didn't they always do this?"

Same except Auto Tracking

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
How durable is a videocassette? Will the tape ever just spontaneously dissolve?

Autumn Angel
Jan 18, 2014

It seems like VHS tapes lose fidelity upon further rewatchings pretty easily. I found this out the hard way when buying some older Disney animated movies on VHS a while back. I imagine that has something to do with the mechanism required to read the contents of the cassette. As far as I can tell, the only really stable data storage method today is flash memory which pretty much never degrades.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Who is it that bought 750,000 VCRs last year? I want names.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
When I was a kid my friend had a tv that had a vcr BUILT INTO IT and I thought that was pretty baller

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Autumn Angel posted:

It seems like VHS tapes lose fidelity upon further rewatchings pretty easily. I found this out the hard way when buying some older Disney animated movies on VHS a while back. I imagine that has something to do with the mechanism required to read the contents of the cassette. As far as I can tell, the only really stable data storage method today is flash memory which pretty much never degrades.

tape is still the best backup medium and flash has limited number of write cycles plus like a decade lifespan iirc

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Wanamingo posted:

1. Iron Prince
2. ???????
3. through 750,000: also ????

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have an old Kool-Aid VHS tape I got from a KB Toy Store when I was really young that my parents got for me with Kool-Aid points.

Anytime I describe the video to people, they swear it sounds like someone on acid made it or something. My dream is to one day convert it to digital format and upload it online. In case someone already did, I think the title was something like, "Wacky Wild Kool-Aid Style" and featured a segment of a man blowing up a building with a cross walk button, which was pre-terrorism, so it was okay. Also it had the Kool-Aid Rap, and that might be cool still.

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Wanamingo posted:

Lots of old people. Working part time at Best Buy and the VCR/DVD combo sold pretty well to the older folk.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

kool aid man destroyed buildings all the time his entire gimmick was that he knocked down walls

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

goddamn are these videos loving dumb

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Crow_Rodeo posted:

goddamn are these videos loving dumb

I haven't any idea about how to put a thing into another thing, luckily I watch youtube videos all day and will not need to worry about reproducing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Hrist posted:

I have an old Kool-Aid VHS tape I got from a KB Toy Store when I was really young that my parents got for me with Kool-Aid points.

Anytime I describe the video to people, they swear it sounds like someone on acid made it or something. My dream is to one day convert it to digital format and upload it online. In case someone already did, I think the title was something like, "Wacky Wild Kool-Aid Style" and featured a segment of a man blowing up a building with a cross walk button, which was pre-terrorism, so it was okay. Also it had the Kool-Aid Rap, and that might be cool still.

Wacky Wild was definitely a kool aid tagline and heck a lot of the late 80s/90s feel like they were generally on acid, also the time of a lot of weird toy/advertising crossovers

I still have a TV a with a vcr built in. I have nothing to play on it.

• Locked thread