Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faith For Two
Aug 27, 2015

punk rebel ecks posted:

Escape from L.A. is better. Come at me goons!

Agreed. In fact, Escape from NY isn't in my top 10 because Escape from LA is literally a remake, and it's better in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

CANNIBAL GIRLS posted:

Have you seen Hard Candy? She cuts off Patrick Wilson's balls in it.

she actually doesn't

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
The Unbearable Lightness of Being

The Virgin Spring

Fanny and Alexander

Enter the Void

Maldoror fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 25, 2016

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
12 Angry Men.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xaris posted:

Escape is a good movie tho They Live, The Thing, and Big Trouble in Little China are his better movies.

Big Trouble in Little China was a terrible flop when it was playing, no one went and saw it and it only made $11 million. :smith:

They Live and The Thing didn't do much better but Carpenter spent wayyyyy less making them so at least their box office exceeded their production costs. He actually made Escape from New York for only $6 million and it pulled in $25 million so it ran a decent profit in the end. His cheaper films were strangely way more popular, he only had a budget of about $300,000 on Halloween back in '78 and it was his most commercially successful film of his entire career by a huge margin.

I love Big Trouble in Little China, I even had the poster printed on a t-shirt once because I couldn't find it for sale anywhere. It's so weird looking back on films that we consider fan favourite classics these days to discover that they were terrible failures in their first run.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Other cinema bombs: Labyrinth, Dune, The Neverending Story, Buckaroo Banzai, Brazil
Films that did really badly but still made a profit because they cost nearly nothing to make: Evil Dead, Evil Dead II, Army of Darkness, Repo Man, Day of the Dead, Mad Max, Re-Animator, Withnail and I, Tremors, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Reservoir Dogs,
Films that only barely made a first run profit: Blade Runner, The Shawshank Redemption, The Big Lebowski

From this we can conclude that:

A) Box office gross/popularity is in no way connected to quality

B) Many filmmakers are genuinely ahead of their time and/or Hollywood often has no idea how to market their films

C) Audiences are idiots

Edit: films that made more money that Big Trouble In Little China:
Young Einstein, Police Academy 6: City Under Siege, Caddyshack II, Highlander 3: The Final Dimension, Weekend at Bernie's II, Frank Miller's Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, Blues Brothers 2000, Freddy Got Fingered, Supergirl, Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo, Dungeons & Dragons, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace, Howard the Duck, Son of the Mask, Masters of the Universe, Jaws IV: The Revenge, Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo, Elektra, Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles

gently caress Hollywood in its giant fat dumb rear end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhubp0NtCr4

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 25, 2016

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I like in the end when Snake unravels the tape but doesn't he realize the president can just re-ravel it

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
I invite you to watch what Siskel and Ebert say about The Burbs in the context that Roger Ebert is living proof that a human mandible can endure only so much bullshit flowing from the depths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZLicg9JylU

But enough about the best movie ever made. This thread is about Snake Plissken.

The end of Escape from L.A. is objectively better than Escape from NY. Bring it on Aesthetics majors. I spent some time at "university" as well.

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm glad you like it OP because in just a few years we're going to be living it!

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Gamer With Dignity posted:

I'm glad you like it OP because in just a few years we're going to be living it!

What's this we talk? A lot of goons will be succumbing to heart disease and diabetes before that happens.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
aside from north what are the best siskel/ebert reviews?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

The Scorpion King

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Pootie Tang
The FP

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The Nutty Professor: Meet the Klumps

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
im likin this big trouble in little china love but no one mentioning predator or robocop disturbs me

shawshank is a good movie but people only think its top 10 because its the only drama theyve ever watched
it probably would be top 10 if the screenwriter was able to include the part of the plot from the story where the reader isnt sure whether andy dufresne is innocent or not and the entire thing where there seems to be something magical or occult going on about him (where my native american cell mate at?)

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
escape from LA is better

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Nooner posted:

escape from LA is better

Kangaroo jack > escape from la > all other movies

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong

Xaris posted:

Kangaroo jack > escape from la > all other movies

Whatever you say, Q-Ball. Don't get tears in your fro, nerd.

E:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtasHWLKWSM

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

if cyberpunk erred it was in that it presented a portrait of the future that was too optimistic

like, it assumed that our technology would actually continue to advance, instead of just get smaller and devoted to the capture of imaginary monsters

The cyberpunk future ended up being super lame. Apple, Google, and Facebook are crappy megacorps, clothes didn't change, and everyone just uses their portable personal computers to look at cat and dog pictures.

• Locked thread