Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The movie being so short was because their studio thought that nobody wanted to see a comedy longer than 80 minutes. Which is insane since it made it shorter than an episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

mycophobia posted:

the movie was my first exposure to mst3k, watching it while getting high at a friends house sometime in 2008. i was extremely peripherally aware of mst3k being a thing so i didn't really know what it was about and wasn't expecting much but i laughed my rear end off

Yeah, it was my first exposure as well. Some guys I knew had seen it at the scifi movie club at the local Uni and said it was the funniest thing they'd seen, so I bought the R1 DVD blind. When my brother and I watched it, we laughed so hard we thought we'd pass out.

I've been in love with the show ever since.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
The AV Club oral history is a really good read for everything involving the movie
https://www.avclub.com/mystery-science-theater-3000-the-movie-the-oral-histo-1846694612

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Best I remember Blockbuster had the Movie and then a smattering of the early Rhino single episodes, so I started with the Movie and was hooked from there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What in the world

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The whole experience seemed to mostly revolve around execs going "Why is this funny?" and possibly "Why did we buy this?"

I remember a friend who read Mike's first book where he does (sort of) review the movie and was upset Mike didn't talk about it more or in more glowing terms and I had bad news to give him.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

zoux posted:

What in the world

that's really fuckin funny

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Nearly choked on my Pepsi here:

"Al Lewis, survivalist."

Al Lewis:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Nearly choked on my Pepsi here:

"Al Lewis, survivalist."

Al Lewis:

What episode is that one from?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jack Frost? The one where the guy gets turned into a bear. That's not-Baba Yaga

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

:eng101: hunchback fairy!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Grr!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

:eng101: hunchback fairy!

The classic "turn and face the woods/turn and face me" six hour gag.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Larryb posted:

What episode is that one from?

Yeah, it's Jack Frost.

"Looks like he's got an engine fire."

It also features an amazing Mike line, when Jack Frost is running around the forest looking confused.

"Where the hell did I park?"

Imagine that in Mike's "Angry old coot" voice.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

You can easily find the original Jack Frost movie, subtitled, on youtube. It's pretty good!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

HopperUK posted:

You can easily find the original Jack Frost movie, subtitled, on youtube. It's pretty good!

Yeah it's easily the best of the Finnish/Soviet coproductions.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

zoux posted:

Jack Frost? The one where the guy gets turned into a bear. That's not-Baba Yaga

Oh yes, how could I forget

HopperUK posted:

So the movie’s main issue was just the English dub then?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah it's easily the best of the Finnish/Soviet coproductions.

I hate those movies, they all feel like fever dreams

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, Jack Frost is vaguely enjoyable on its own and it's a good riff.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Larryb posted:

Oh yes, how could I forget

So the movie’s main issue was just the English dub then?

Honestly yeah, the dub is really ropey. The movie still has effects that look dodgy to our modern eyes but it's imaginative and fun and the acting is not bad.

e: Here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw2DN4335hU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

HopperUK posted:

And on steam in game form!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/289320/Fairy_Tale_About_Father_Frost_Ivan_and_Nastya/

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I actually saw MST3k The Movie in some arthouse theater in Baltimore when it came out. I remember sitting in a theater watching a movie where guys in a theater watch a movie felt different than it did at home. I was already a fan and I thought it was basically just a really good episode.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

John Murdoch posted:

Lots of studio interference plus the inherent mismatch of cow town puppet show and Hollywood.

It's a shame too because the final product, while not perfect, is actually really fun and a great riff.

Normal View is still one of my absolute favorite riffs they ever did

Clouseau posted:

I kind of think the movie being shorter than an episode is an asset to it. The movie is a really good intro to the show if you have no context for it, the This Island Earth itself isn't particularly bad, and it ends before you get bored.

Exactly, was my first proper full exposure to the series when Netflix first got it back around I think 2013 or so

zoux posted:

What in the world

I'll admit I would like to see that collection

Also I was reminded the other day of the existence of the Estus Pirkle/Ron Ormond trilogy of "Religious Exploitation" films and man those would be some good material for either MST3K or Rifftrax to mercilessly make fun of(the latter has already riffed one of Ron Ormond's earlier non-religious films Mesa of Lost Women)

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

drrockso20 posted:

Normal View is still one of my absolute favorite riffs they ever did

I love pretty much everything they do with the goofy rear end Metalunans

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

I love pretty much everything they do with the goofy rear end Metalunans

"Then I ram my ovipositor down your throat and lay eggs in your chest, but I'm not an alien!"

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Thank god, I saved you. :smug:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
May your forehead grow, like the mighty Oak! :manning:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

What's important is why do I have a picture of a burger on the wall.