Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
I'm an icky elf!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Go, Mary Tyler Moore go!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The Animal Cracker Foundation does not endorse or recommend usage of its product as portrayed.

E:

Is Trace doing a horrible Australian accent during these Turkey Day tape sale clips a reference to some famous 90s American TV sales guy or just a funny bit he's doing?

It isn't Paul Hogan you mean is it?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

In Australia my voice is as annoying as yours!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The Animal Cracker Foundation does not endorse or recommend usage of its product as portrayed.

E:

Is Trace doing a horrible Australian accent during these Turkey Day tape sale clips a reference to some famous 90s American TV sales guy or just a funny bit he's doing?

He did the same voice in the infomercial sketch in Jungle Goddess. It's probably a reference to someone but I'm not up enough on my late 80s infomercial personalities to recognize it. Maybe submit a question during the next Mads Are Back stream?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I’ve never seen all the turkey day sketches back to back and it’s certainly something different.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
AaaNd iTS CuRRenTly MaNos; The HANdS of FAAAte.

The MASter wOUld NoT APprove, no...

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Serpico. Dirty Harry. Jake Gittes. Kevin!

Hobgoblins is on the Turkey Day stream right now.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I like the Turkey Day stream, and I love the poopie segments and other stuff I have never seen, but it's a bummer it's the original unedited stream, which means all the episodes are split by those "we'll be right back" ad breaks, with the original horribly edited sound, popping sounds etc.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

He did the same voice in the infomercial sketch in Jungle Goddess. It's probably a reference to someone but I'm not up enough on my late 80s infomercial personalities to recognize it. Maybe submit a question during the next Mads Are Back stream?

It seems vaguely familiar to me. The early 90s was the golden age of infomercials, so there were a lot out there. No superstars on the level of the late Billy Mays that I can remember.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Even Google is turning up nothing. The video in question is the "Poopie Parade of Values", and many websites note that Trace has an "atrociously bad Australian accent" but nobody has explained it.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

It's definitely a reference to a specific pitchman (who may have been either British or Australian) but couldn't tell you specifically who anymore. I'm pretty sure Bob Odenkirk was imitating the same guy in the Mr. Show "Superpan" sketch.

Oh, there was also Jacko, an Australian guy who achieved minor fame in the 80s for doing irritating ads for Energizer batteries https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvHtKcS1POk

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 5, 2024

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

It's definitely a reference to a specific pitchman (who may have been either British or Australian) but couldn't tell you specifically who anymore. I'm pretty sure Bob Odenkirk was imitating the same guy in the Mr. Show "Superpan" sketch.

I was wondering if that was connected, too. he's dressed similarly but the Odenkirk character is British (because only British people can fly)

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Oh, there was also Jacko, an Australian guy who achieved minor fame in the 80s for doing irritating ads for Energizer batteries

Oy!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I AM GRANDO posted:

It seems vaguely familiar to me. The early 90s was the golden age of infomercials, so there were a lot out there. No superstars on the level of the late Billy Mays that I can remember.

Anthony Sullivan, maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjb77v3LX_s

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh no, no no no! They're doing it clown style!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Empty Sandwich posted:

I was wondering if that was connected, too. he's dressed similarly but the Odenkirk character is British (because only British people can fly)

No way, what about Pumaman

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
I don't know if Crow's impression is based on anything specific, but in the late 1980s and early 90s, infomercials usually had an American host with a (sometimes foreign) expert who'd come out to explain the product. It was the inspiration for Troy McClure and Nick Riviera on The Simpsons. Probably the best known infomercial was Amazing Discoveries with host Mike Levy (whose penchant for sweaters inspired McClure); it had a couple of British experts but I don't know about any Australians.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

HopperUK posted:

he needed a belt

heck, I could stand one myself

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

HopperUK posted:

He's 60% British.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Oh no, no no no! They're doing it clown style!

Ohohohoh, he's eating!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Just because you show me a projector doesn't mean I'm convinced there's a projected man!

I was playing Animal Crossing today and went looking and found that someone has made the JOIKE sweater GPC made for Mike back in the day :3:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I am Pleasance and I am funky.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
...Roger Whittaker....

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Dawgstar posted:

I am Pleasance and I am funky.

It's a giant baby!

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

verbal enema posted:

"don't worry your pretty little head about it"
Okay ugly head

Such a perfect riff

"Move it, bright eyes!"
"Okay, fat rear end!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Morter posted:

It's a giant baby!

Get me a soda pop and a Caramello!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Morter posted:

It's a giant baby!

"Comb the area. Find him. Kill him"
"Donald's only use for the word 'comb'"

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

He's really my mentor. He showed me how to truly love a woman. From across the street. Through a telescope.

E:

I got a 3 on the GED. :smith:

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 6, 2024

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
RIP Edgar Lansbury: He was Angela's brother and a Tony-winning Broadway producer. Then for some reason he also produced Squirm.

Also RIP Bernard Hill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0XeDxR5qdM&t=805s

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Dawgstar posted:

Get me a soda pop and a Caramello!

Luckily they made their house out of peanut brittle.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Cabbit posted:

Luckily they made their house out of peanut brittle.

Cabbit? Cabbit! Cabbit!!

Cabbit!

Cabbit? Cabbit!

Cabbit…

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Splint Chesthair posted:

Cabbit? Cabbit! Cabbit!!

Cabbit!

Cabbit? Cabbit!

Cabbit…

So.....Cabot, then?

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

No. Doesn’t ring a bell.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Figuring out that Outlaw was the work of the biotruths *whipcrack* guy was a huge mindfuck for me circa 2009. I guess nerds knew about Gor way before that and probably way before that episode.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I AM GRANDO posted:

Figuring out that Outlaw was the work of the biotruths *whipcrack* guy was a huge mindfuck for me circa 2009. I guess nerds knew about Gor way before that and probably way before that episode.

I found about about *whipcrack* because of the episode. I tried to find out more about whatever the gently caress it was supposed to be about, and because Wikipedia didn't exist in the late 90s I found myself looking down a rabbit hole of early internet weirdies. I decided that I didn't really want to learn any more, which since I was like twelve at the time was probably for the best.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watley being a creep at the end aside Outlaw is a pretty sanitized version of Gor.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

muscles like this! posted:

Watley being a creep at the end aside Outlaw is a pretty sanitized version of Gor.

Yeah in the film Cabot says he'll always fight slavery which is... not something the author would've appreciated.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

I found about about *whipcrack* because of the episode. I tried to find out more about whatever the gently caress it was supposed to be about, and because Wikipedia didn't exist in the late 90s I found myself looking down a rabbit hole of early internet weirdies. I decided that I didn't really want to learn any more, which since I was like twelve at the time was probably for the best.

Yeah in the film Cabot says he'll always fight slavery which is... not something the author would've appreciated.

it's funny that Goreans think the films are bastardizations of Norman's vision, I mean they are but that's a good thing. I'm sure the producers just wanted a hot property to make a Conan clone with and dgaf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

could have sworn there was a Gor movie was aiming to get Arnold and he passed on it for Conan