Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
A friend of mine who was with the 89 AW said pretty much every male flight attendant was gay. There's also Tops in Blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Army, mid-late 90's. No one really gave a poo poo who wasn't some kind of bible-thumper or an overly gung ho wanna-be tough guy.

I had a gunner in my platoon who was definitely cross dressing on the weekend and everyone knew it. Other than a few Corporal Klinger jokes (that he laughed at) it was a non-issue.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Early-mid 90's. Lifers and moto-troops had the only issues, no one else really cared.

I knew a commo guy in one of my battalions who was. No one really said anything.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
The biggest problem with DADT was that it gave assholes a weapon to use against people they didn't like that gave them a high ground. While, as a policy, it was a step in the right direction to keep witch-hunts from becoming a problem, it was still a stop-gap solution that didn't need to exist in the first place, because had gays just been allowed to openly serve, it would have led to way fewer issues, made a few poo poo heads leave over their idiotic convictions and probably kept a much higher rate of retention of quality gay personnel. In a lot of way DADT was just further proof of America's biggest problem in the post-modern era, we simply half rear end way too much poo poo in the interest of not making one side too angry.

Had Clinton just pulled the trigger himself, issued the executive order and let gays openly serve, there's no way Bush would have repealed it anyhow, and we all know it didn't do dick to help Gore either during his attempt to get elected. It was a political attempt at appeasement that really just made public an exacerbated issue that had an obvious common sense solution.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

2002-2010 Marines and served with at least two gay people, one was a roommate. Everyone was chill, and I think more straight men touched my junk as a "joke" than the gay guys ever did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Booblord Zagats posted:

The biggest problem with DADT was that it gave assholes a weapon to use against people they didn't like that gave them a high ground. While, as a policy, it was a step in the right direction to keep witch-hunts from becoming a problem, it was still a stop-gap solution that didn't need to exist in the first place, because had gays just been allowed to openly serve, it would have led to way fewer issues, made a few poo poo heads leave over their idiotic convictions and probably kept a much higher rate of retention of quality gay personnel. In a lot of way DADT was just further proof of America's biggest problem in the post-modern era, we simply half rear end way too much poo poo in the interest of not making one side too angry.

Had Clinton just pulled the trigger himself, issued the executive order and let gays openly serve, there's no way Bush would have repealed it anyhow, and we all know it didn't do dick to help Gore either during his attempt to get elected. It was a political attempt at appeasement that really just made public an exacerbated issue that had an obvious common sense solution.

That's definitely the impression I've gotten. It seems like something that was thrown together at the last minute. I think around the same time a lot of the world's armed forces were changing their policies to have gay and bi people serve openly (trans people came a bit later.) I know in Australia they changed the policy in 1992 and people thought the ADF was going to be ruined or something but then nothing happened.

Grem posted:

2002-2010 Marines and served with at least two gay people, one was a roommate. Everyone was chill, and I think more straight men touched my junk as a "joke" than the gay guys ever did.

This certainly goes along with what I know about certain people in civilian life. It's often the straight people (and sometimes even the most homophobic people) who act the most gay, whereas a lot of people who are actually gay or bi are a bit more wary about how they act and don't tend to make hands-on jokes about it as much. At least that's my experience from being gay in a girl's school - you get enough people telling you not to look at them because you're apparently checking them out, and you're definitely not going to end up kissing people and saying "I love you" like the straight girls are.

• Locked thread