Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Maleketh posted:

I'd advise against focusing solely on katanas. One of the biggest benefits of being a Fighter is that they can use any weapon in the game, and that diversity is a pretty huge asset. With several kinds of weapons at their disposal they can swap out weapon types as they find new models that suit their needs.

Nope, gotta take the good with the bad. It'll even out eventually.
I hedged my bets with the weapon group that has the most individual types. I can still use Knight Swords, Light Swords, and Swordy Swords too, I just wanted to be best at the kind of swords that match the picture I found.

Gonna switch out Brawling with Throwing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Also, EclecticTastes, I don't see any spells on your Time Mage sheet.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

slydingdoor posted:

I hedged my bets with the weapon group that has the most individual types. I can still use Knight Swords, Light Swords, and Swordy Swords too, I just wanted to be best at the kind of swords that match the picture I found.

Okay. Just don't get grumpy at if I give you something that isn't compatible with your Signature Weapon Advantage. :)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I had a pretty good idea for a black mage but that would put us 3 casters deep with no healer if Eclectic uses his Time Mage. And I'd prefer someone who actually wants to be the healer be the healer.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Kurieg posted:

I had a pretty good idea for a black mage but that would put us 3 casters deep with no healer if Eclectic uses his Time Mage. And I'd prefer someone who actually wants to be the healer be the healer.

Split the difference and play a Sage?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Sages only get 50 point increases due to their class compared to everyone else's 60, importantly to that point they only get +10 mag, which is a bit more limiting on race choices.

I'm still looking into it.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

You can probably scrounge up 7 or 8 MAG with equipment if you're really concerned about hitting the cap (30).

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Kurieg posted:

Sages only get 50 point increases due to their class compared to everyone else's 60, importantly to that point they only get +10 mag, which is a bit more limiting on race choices.

I'm still looking into it.

White caller then?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Nah I found a moogle picture I'm relatively okay with, I can make a Moogle sage.

However in the process of finding said picture I also found a gigantic muscular moogle in a thong because google image search is a harsh master.

Character will be coming up shortly.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Chemists are item based healers too, right? It could complement a thief pretty well, and when you get !Mix you could probably end up doing some serious damage with the items you get.

White Callers seem to be a more offense oriented white mage (although it looks like white mages have offensive spells in aero and the like, too). idk if pure summoners get any healing eidolons (I can't find a list of what they do there) but hey getting plot-related fights to get new spells is pretty neat.

fake e: Sage is pretty sweet too.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

The party so far, for my reference and yours:

Krysmphoenix: Bard?
Arrrthritis: Yeti Blue Mage
Kurieg: Moogle Sage (?)
Rhyos: Elf Thief
slydingdoor: Galka (Roegadyn) Fighter
EclecticTastes: Human TIme Mage (Dwarf Engineer?)

The blue mage and time mage should cover magic damage well enough, the sage can heal and act as a backup offensive caster, the fighter's a solid tank, the thief is fast as hell, and bard is a great support job. Your team's a little light on durability, but I reckon you should be fine.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

"It's a huge world out there and you guys don't want to explore it!? I just don't get you!"

Though he was presumably born in a Moogle village, Bitronel knows very little of his heritage. He was found as a baby, left by the side of the road outside of a human city. He was a sickly child, and though the healers were able to tend to him, they were not able to find his family. Thus he was relegated to the orphanage. He was still a sickly child, and as a Moogle in a primarily human city, he was much smaller and weaker than his peers.

Not that this bothered Bitronel in the least, he took to academia like he was born for it. Devouring every book he could find, and using his natural aptitude for magic to excel in his magical studies and training. Though he had an interest in his original family, it was mostly an academic one. After all, if they had not left him he might not have learned all that he had, or have been alive at all. Even if he couldn't beat his friends in a game of dodgeball, they couldn't set the dodgeball on fire with their mind.

Now that he's older, and over his myriad childhood allergies(Mostly), he has set out to explore the world that he had previously only experienced in books. And so far things have been better than he could have ever imagined.

There are even Yetis!

Those still exist!

pre:
Name: Bitronel
Race: Moogle
Job: Sage
Level: 1
Experience: 0/500

HP: 37/37           HP Die: d6
MP: 24/24           MP Die: d10

Attribute     Current     Maximum     Rating     Default     Last Raised
Strength          3         13          19          9
Vitality          6         11          28         14
Agility           6         21          28         14
Speed             7         22          31         15
Magic            10         21          40         20
Spirit            8         22          34         17

Evasion: 13           Magic Evasion: 18
Armor: 4             Magic Armor: 10
Dexterity: 63         Mind: 71
Accuracy: 23          Magic Accuracy: 121 +10

Location     Name          DMG   ARM   M.ARM   EVA   M.EVA   Effects/Notes
Right Hand   Oak Staff     d8+20
Left Hand     "    "
Head         Red Hat             1      3                        +10 M.Acc
Body         Cotton Robe         3      5
Hands        Leather Wrist       1      2
Accessory

Inventory
1x Tonic
50g

Advantages:
Pure Soul 2 - He's an Idealist!
Personal Element: Fire 4 - He's mastered the element of Civilization (also fire is cool/hot)
Disadvantages: 
Elemental Deficiency: Wind 3 - He grew up amongst humans, he's not really good at flying and actually kind of hates it.
Vulnerability: Toxin 2 - He didn't grow up in a normal moogle community so he didn't get exposed to normal wilderness things.
Gold Sink 1 - Eats too many sweets

Skills
Awareness   30
Cudgels     50
Alchemy     50
Etiquette   30
Scavenge    20
Acrobatics  20
Escape      30
Healing     50
Negotiation 30

Scholastic
Inquiry            50
Language:Common    50
Language:Mogri     20
Language:Ancients  20
Lore: History      50
Lore: Monsters     40
Lore: Summons      20
Lore: Folklore     20
Lore: Magic(Black) 50
Lore: Magic(White) 50

Spells
1st: Fire, Cure, Thunder
HP, MP: 1d6+36 37 1d10+20 24 Gee thanks Orokos, off to a great start already I see. At least I'm believably frail.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 1, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Maleketh posted:

The party so far, for my reference and yours:

Krysmphoenix: Bard?
Arrrthritis: Yeti Blue Mage
Kurieg: Moogle Sage (?)
Rhyos: Elf Thief
slydingdoor: Galka (Roegadyn) Fighter
EclecticTastes: Human TIme Mage (Dwarf Engineer?)

The blue mage and time mage should cover magic damage well enough, the sage can heal and act as a backup offensive caster, the fighter's a solid tank, the thief is fast as hell, and bard is a great support job. Your team's a little light on durability, but I reckon you should be fine.

If the team is so glass I could go Swordmaster for Provoke or Paladin for Cover. What does everyone think? GM included.

e; I just made one because I already had my template.

Edel Weisse
Deep in the woodland caverns she and her fellow gray elf robbers were being chased by surprisingly tenacious Wildwoods. When one friend was wounded and a stolen bag pierced, she noticed the bag was full of rare flower seeds and didn't shrink even as it left a long trail of them. Realizing that was what they were after, Edel took it and split off of the group to lead their pursuers away. A mage tried to cause the cave to collapse in front of her but she swam up and through the crumbling rocks and ended up in a secret shrine, with the magic bag her only possession not utterly destroyed. There was a giant mirror in the chamber, and the cave in let in the morning sunlight reflecting it all over her, and it burned. She crawled into a shady spot at the foot of it and saw her reflection was no ninja in training, but a knight in shining armor. Her eyes adjusted to the light and she saw the beautiful path of flowers that had bloomed behind her, touched the reflection, and was forever changed.

pre:
Name: Edel Weisse
Race: Duskwight Elezen
Job: Paladin
Experience: /500

HP: 52	HP Die: d10
MP: 28	MP Die: d6

Now	Max	Rating	Default	Last Raised
STR	11	23	43	21		
VIT	13	26	49	24		
AGI	1	16	13	6		
SPD	1	17	13	6		
MAG	3	15	19	9		
SPR	11	21	43	21		

EVA:	2	M. EVA:	14
ARM:	13	M. ARM:	6
DEX:	53	MND:	58
ACC:	93	M. ACC:	107

Name		DMG	ARM	M.ARM	EVA	M.EVA	Effects/Notes
RHand	Short Sword	22+d10					
LHand	Short Sword	22+d10					
Body	Leather Plate		5	3
Head	Soldier Helmet		3	1			+10ACC
Hands	Bright Gauntlet		2	1			Blind Proof		
Acc		

Inventory
Wool Flowers and seeds
15 gil

Advantages
Signature Weapon 5: Swords 
Good Fortune 1
Hardened 2
Pure Soul 2

Disadvantages
Defenseless 1
Fury 2
Vulnerability 3: Transform
Vulnerability 4: Mystify

Skills
50	Awareness
50	Swords 
50	Two Weapons
50	Weapon Systems
50	Stealth
50	Art

Languages
50	Common
20	Elf
50	Ancient

Lore
20	Elf Area
20	Elf History
20	Elf Folklore
50	Abnormal Monster
20	Undead Monster

Job Abilities/Spells
HOLY SWORD
Protector, healer, fighter: the Paladin's talents extend in many
directions.

COVER Level 1
Target: Single Type: Fast Action/Reaction
The Paladin is a protector first and foremost, thinking nothing of
placing herself in harm's way in order to shield a comrade. Cover
allows the Paladin to select a single target to protect; once a target
has been selected, Cover becomes a Reaction Ability. When
triggered, Cover applies all damage that would otherwise be taken by
the target to the Paladin instead, modifying for the Paladin's Armor
as normal. Cover may only affect one target at any given time;
switching targets or removing this protection is a Zero Action, but
requires the Paladin to be able to use the Ability.
Trigger: The Ally being Covered is dealt Physical damage. Will not
trigger if the Paladin is 25% of maximum HP or lower herself.

Sentinel Level 1
Target: Party Type: Reaction
While Paladins can single out individual allies for protection, they are
also trained to keep a close eye on the health of the party as a
whole. When triggered, Sentinel applies all damage that would be
taken by the ally to the Paladin instead, modifying for Armor as
normal. Sentinel does not affect use of Cover, but does not enhance
its effects; Cover will always be used instead of Sentinel where
applicable. If multiple combatants could use Sentinel on the same
target, the one with the highest Hit Points will take the blow.
Trigger: An ally at 25% or fewer of maximum HP is dealt Physical
damage. Will not trigger if the Paladin is 25% of maximum HP or
lower herself.

Intuitive magic Level 1
Target: Varies Type: Magic Ability
The Paladin can use her spellcasting abilities for other purposes.
More details on Intuitive Magic can be found in Chapter 8.
Keywords: Barrier, Healing, Holy, Lightning
HP MP: 1d10 7 1d6 5

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 31, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Paladin would give cover and some off-healing later on once you start getting more mana. Blue mage can't heal till it gets white wind and can't really remove status effects either. which will probably eventually be my job.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I dunno about us having two elves, but a paladin sounds like it would be pretty great for our group.

It doesn't look like paladins get white magic, just healing abilities that scales off of magic at level 15 and 64 (Healing Wind, 9 X Mag + 2d6 to the party). Still likelier to be sooner than I learn white wind.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Maleketh specifically said they didn't want more than one of the same race and/or job.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Oh poo poo I forgot there was an elf.

Guess that was a waste of time and you guys are stuck with the fighter. :v:

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 31, 2016

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

I think you'll be fine with the fighter. As long as Bitronel keeps up with the healing spells, you can supplement any other problems with smart use of consumables.

Unrelated, remember that all skills purchased during character creation must have a rating of at least 20. Several of Bitronel's Lore skills are too low, as is Nergui's grasp of Common.

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 1, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Maleketh posted:

I think you'll be fine with the fighter. As long as Bitronel keeps up with the healing spells, you can supplement any other problems with smart use of consumables.

My Crippling ether addiction begins.

(Fixed his skills)

e: And I think the paladin thing was more about being able to manage enmity rather than a lack of healing.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Kurieg posted:

My Crippling ether addiction begins.

(Fixed his skills)

I actually just meant that you should be picking them up as spells known, but that too I suppose. :v:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Alright, figure I'll just go with the Time Mage, seems like everything's copacetic. Feel free to correct any mistakes, I think the big one is checking my math on my skills, pretty sure I've got it right, but it's a lot of points to keep track of so I wouldn't be surprised to see a few points out of place.

Professor Henlein Fermata
Theme

Henlein's lived most of his life at the local academy of arcane arts, studying the art of Time Magic. The Time Magic wing was always underfunded and understaffed, most students preferring the more traditional Black, White, or Red Magics, more glamorous Summoning, the more exciting fusions of magic and martial combat, or any of the more practical courses teaching applied natural philosophy, such as the Chemist course. This, of course, was just how then-Professor Fermata preferred it, for he had his own agenda to pursue. As a young man, a mere acolyte deciding which discipline to pursue, his younger brother had fallen ill. At the time, nobody knew what the affliction was, and by the time they'd figured it out, it was too late to save him. The disease had been curable, even back then. Henlein's studies, pushing the boundaries of Time Magic, were meant to give him a second chance. However, when he finally thought he'd done it, that's when everything went wrong.

He hadn't counted on the world itself opposing him. When he'd opened the portal to the past, decades ago, the backlash was incredible. Most of the Time Magic wing was wiped out, and while injuries were minimal, centuries of recorded research were destroyed, their backups in the archives the only thing keeping the knowledge from being lost entirely. The portal itself collapsed almost immediately, confirming what Henlein had always feared, that the past could not be tampered with. However, he didn't walk away unscathed. His body was suffused with temporal energies, throwing him out of sync with time. He was weakened, aging more than a decade in the blink of an eye, and he later found that the primordial forces of gods and demons caused a destructive resonance in his body. At the time, he chuckled ruefully, thinking to himself humility was the most expensive lesson he'd ever received.

Naturally, he was dismissed from his position at the academy the moment the dust had settled, and told to consider himself lucky he wasn't arrested for his foolishness. While he wasn't formally banished, he was informed that spending too much time in the city anytime in the near future would be a bad idea. So, he took to the road, hoping to find a cure for his current condition, and perhaps some new, safer breakthroughs in Time Magic. While he no longer sought to change the past, he'd always loved learning, and had enjoyed every moment of his previous research. He'd also picked up a variety of other skills at the academy, and relished the opportunity to put some of them to use.

Henlein Fermata may be old, but every Time Mage knows, "old" is just a status condition.

pre:
Name: Henlein Fermata
Race: Human
Job: Time Mage
Experience: 0/500

HP: 41/41           HP Die: d6
MP: 21/21           MP Die: d10 (+2)

Attribute     Current     Maximum     Rating     Default     Last Raised
Strength         1          15          13          1
Vitality         6          15          28          3
Agility          6          20          28          3
Speed            7          20          31          3
Magic            10         25          40          5
Spirit           10         25          40          5

Evasion: 13           Magic Evasion: 20
Armor: 6             Magic Armor: 12
Dexterity: 63         Mind: 71
Accuracy: 73          Magic Accuracy: 131
Expertise: N/A         Invent: N/A

Location     Name          DMG   ARM   M.ARM   EVA   M.EVA   Effects/Notes
Right Hand  <Two-handed>
Left Hand   Silence Staff 2*Mag+d8                           Silence Touch
Head        Red Hat               1      3                     +10 M.ACC
Body        Cotton Robe           3      5
Hands       Serum Wrist           1      2                   Poison Proof
Accessory

Inventory
17 Gil

Advantages: Multitalented (Technical), Combat Reflexes, Pure Soul (2 Points), Resistance (Time), Good Fortune (1/session)
Disadvantages: Devil's Brand, Weakness(Holy, Shadow)

Skills
Awareness: 30

Language (Common): 50

Lore (Time Magic): 50

Lore (Black Magic): 50

Lore (White Magic): 50

Lore (Blue Magic): 50

Lore (Spellblade Magic): 50

Lore (Summons): 50

Lore (History of starting country): 50

Lore (Area, starting country): 40

Lore (Folklore, starting country): 40

Systems: 40

Repair: 40

Vehicles: 40

Explosives: 40

Inquiry: 50

Healing: 40

Cudgels: 50

Teaching: 50

Job Abilities/Spells

Time Magic L1: Burn Ray (7 MP, 4*Mag+d8 damage), Sprint (Accelerate 6), Escape (Mag*2 meter distance)

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

EclecticTastes posted:

Professor Henlein Fermata

Hah, "Good Fortune." :v:

I'll check the skill math tomorrow, when I have time.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Maleketh posted:

Hah, "Good Fortune." :v:

Fluff-wise, I'd reskin it more as Henlein's mastery of Time Magic's underlying principles allowing him to keep a small pocket of time preserved a la the Reset spell, but as something he can throw out whenever he wants, but much less frequently.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

EclecticTastes posted:

Fluff-wise, I'd reskin it more as Henlein's mastery of Time Magic's underlying principles allowing him to keep a small pocket of time preserved a la the Reset spell, but as something he can throw out whenever he wants, but much less frequently.

Okay, now that makes sense.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Alright, sorry for the delay, wanted to see what Eclectic Tastes got up to. Will edit this post with background and pictures in a bit, just wanna get this up for math purposes.

Princess Maria di Mezzo Carattere, and Ciel her loyal chocobo.

The war between the East and the West was growing more violent by the day.
Draco, a knight from the West thought of his love, Maria, every night on the battlefield.
However, the Western armies were defeated, and Maria's castle fell into the hands of the East.
Forced to wed the Eastern Prince Ralse, Maria still thought of Draco as she gazed at the stars.

She knew her love was not to be, and she would be forced to leave her past behind.
Prince Ralse looked for her as his dance partner, until the Western survivors attacked.
Maria saw Draco and called out to him, knowing her love would return to her.
Instead, Ralse declared a duel against Draco for the hand of his queen to be.

Steel clashed against steel in the battle of fate, but love would not conquer all.
In the heat of the battle both Draco and Ralse had inflicted a mortal blow upon each other.
A part of her died that night as her beloved passed away in her arms,
And she clutched at the crystal pendant Draco had given to her for their engagement.

The castle erupted into flames as both sides sought revenge for their heroes.
Maria fled to the stables and found her personal chocobo waiting for her.
In tears she left her whole world behind, both East and West crumbled into dust.
She knows not what fate has in store for her, or the crystal she holds dear.

pre:
Name: Princess Maria di Mezzo Carattere
Race: Lalafell
Job: Bard
Experience: 0 /

HP: 38 / 38         HP Die: d8
MP:  0 / 0          MP Die: N/A

Attribute	Current	Maximum	Rating	Default	Last Raised
Strength	2	13	16	8	Lv1
Vitality	4	14	22	11	Lv1
Agility		8	20	34	17	Lv1
Speed		8	22	34	17	Lv1
Magic		8	24	34	17	Lv1
Spirit		10	27	40	20	Lv1

Evasion:	21		Magic Evasion: 	18
Armor:		6+10% (6.6)	Magic Armor: 	9+25% (11.25)
Dexterity:	67		Mind: 		67	
Accuracy:	87		Magic Accuracy: 117
Expertise:	46

Name		DMG	ARM	M.ARM	EVA	M.EVA	Effects/Notes
Old Harp	(2xMAG)16 + d8
Straw Hat		1	3	0	0	Slow Proof
Training Suit		4	4	0	0	Sleep Proof
Chocobracelet		1	2	5	0
Accessory Slot

Inventory
25 Gil

Advantages: 6 points
Animal Companion (2) - Ciel the Chocobo, 10 points for the below...
--Mount (5) Can be ridden, carry 30 items
--Skilled (5) Acrobatics 20, Survival 30
--Search (5) 1/session, find free Item of appropriate tier.
--Keen Senses (5) Has Awareness and Tracking 60
Gillionaire (2) - +5% Gil income, start with 525 Gil
Multitalented (1) - Gain Social Affinity

Disadvantages:
Code of Honor (2) - Can't harm Unaware, Sleeping, or Stopped enemies.
Devil's Brand (4) - -25% Healing received.

Skills 260
Acting		50 (25)
Art		50 (25)
Dancing		50 (25)
Harp		50 (Free + 15)
Singing		50 (25)
Etiquette	50 (25)
Negotiation	50 (25)
Smooth Talk	50 (25)
Riding		35
Trade		35
Awareness	30 (Free)

Common Tongue	50 (free)
Lore: Chocobos	30
Lore: Music	50
Lore: Nobility	40
Lore: "West"	40

Job Abilities/Spells

Hide		Self, Fast
Give up all other Actions for the round to retreat to safety; 
not considered an active combatant and can't be targeted.

Elegy		Group, Magic (2)
CoS of Expertise vs M.Evasion to reduce Initiative by 25%. 
Roll seperately for each target in the Group.

Logical Etude	Party, Magic (2)
Bestow Spirit Up (4) to the party. 
This gives +25% to M. Evasion, M. Accuracy, and Spirit.

Mambo		Party, Magic (2)
Bestow Agility Up (4) to the party. 
This gives +25% to Evasion, Accuracy, and Agility; also +2 Initiative.

Water Rondo	Group, Magic (2)
Inflict (1xMAG)8 + 1d12 vs M. Armor to the Group.
This ability gets no attack roll, and inflicts Water Elemental damage.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 1, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

And that's a human.. sooo..
*Scratches out "Human" on Henlien's sheet, pencils in "Nu Mou"*
Problem solved.

Alternately make Maria into a Lalafell, have her rant constantly about how they got the opera wrong.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 1, 2016

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Kurieg posted:

Alternately make Maria into a Lalafell, have her rant constantly about how they got the opera wrong.

Actually, I stated her up as a Lalafell, just had left the Human in by accident. Already fixed.

Also backstory up.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Looks like all sheets are in order. I still have some prep work to do before the game gets started, but I'll kick it off as soon as I'm able.

In the meantime, a question. Would you folks rather do our gaming here, or elsewhere? I'm specifically thinking of RolePlay onLine; I did a lot of gaming there when I was big into 3E D&D, and it has a lot of convenience items (dice roller and log, private lines, etc.). I'll eave it up to you lot, though; a thread here in the game room is perfectly fine with me.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I'd much rather play in The Game Room since it's one less forum I have to check up on a regular basis

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Same. Also Orokos has a roller and log that tracks what game you're making the roll for.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I went ahead and signed up for it but I'd be fine playing here.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Same. Also Orokos has a roller and log that tracks what game you're making the roll for.

Yeah, the underlined parts of my HP/MP are hyperlinks to my rolls for level 1 on Orokos, in case it went unnoticed. I much prefer TGR, same reason as Krysmphoenix.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I would also prefer to play the game on this forum.

On the topic of good fortune, how long is a session going to be in a play by post? Is it going to be a certain number of scenes or encounters?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Arrrthritis posted:

On the topic of good fortune, how long is a session going to be in a play by post? Is it going to be a certain number of scenes or encounters?

I'm thinking one experience level, since the book says (somewhere) to expect about one level per session on average.

Anyway, it seems that staying here is the preferred option. It's more or less what I expected, but I figured I'd bring it up.

I've added a link in the OP to the character creation post, which has been updated with this house rule:

quote:

Battle Rows: One of the main issues I've seen in playing this game is that there's not much to stop monsters from targeting fragile characters mercilessly. Thus, I'm adapting the idea of battles rows (which I'll abandon if it proves too unwieldy or imbalanced). At the start of combat, each PC is in either the front or back row. Characters in the back row both take half damage from physical attacks and deal half damage with them, unless the attack in question is Ranged. If at any tim all the front row characters are incapable of fighting (0 HP, petrified, stopped, asleep, etc.), all back row characters immediately come to the front. A character can spend an action to change rows, unless he's the only character in the front row.

This is basically a trial run for this rule, and I'll get rid of it if it doesn't work out.

Finally, here's some stuff!

Elder Nergui, you have traveled far from your home, in the Mountains of Ice and Fire, to this, the human city of Cornelia. You still carry the Crystal shard that first spoke to you, which bears the element of Fire.
Voleur Defalcator, there are few places that a thief would find hospitable, but the Kingdom of Elfheim might be considered the worst. The nobles there do not like being reminded that their prestigious homeland has a filthy common class. So when the Crystal shard spoke to you, you stowed away on the first ship you could find and sailed north, to Cornelia. An appropriate method of travel, given that you bear the shard of Water.
Radiant Lycoris, the battle against the monstrous threat never ends, but some battles cannot be waged with swords. When the lands of your your home city of Melmond began to rot away, you knew something had to be done. After finding the Crystal shard of Earth washed up on the beach, you knew what had to be done, so you set sail for the human city of Cornelia.
Bitronel, You can't say where your parents were from, but it can't have been far from Cornelia, the place you call home. During a search through an old warhouse, you happened upon a Crystal shard bearing the element of Wind, and it told you that you were destined for great things. Maybe that former professor who's been wandering around town knows something?
Heinlen Fermata, that explosion changed more than you could have ever predicted. Ever since that failed experiment leveled part of Cornelia's magical academy, you've been in possession of something new: a black crystal shard that pulses with Darkness, which tells you that despite your failure, you have been chosen as a hero. Now if only you knew why that moogle kept trying to get your attention.
Princess Maria di Mezzo Carattere, your life has been one of sorrow. But now, perhaps you have a chance to write a happy ending for yourself. Draco's pendant speaks to you, and it glows with a soft Light. Its directions led you far from home, to the human kingdom of Cornelia. Though nowhere near as impressive as your own home, the shard promises a new beginning here.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm empowered by my greatest weakness?
:v:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Kurieg posted:

I'm empowered by my greatest weakness?

Kinda, yeah. Funny thing, that.

Alternately: No, because this is literal darkness, not the specifically the Shadow element. Whichever answer you like better.

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 1, 2016

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I'm also empowered by fire :D I like it.

Maleketh posted:

I'm thinking one experience level, since the book says (somewhere) to expect about one level per session on average.

Anyway, it seems that staying here is the preferred option. It's more or less what I expected, but I figured I'd bring it up.

I've added a link in the OP to the character creation post, which has been updated with this house rule:

That sounds pretty good to me. Should we figure out how we know each other/post impressions of each other in the mean time?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Arrrthritis posted:

That sounds pretty good to me. Should we figure out how we know each other/post impressions of each other in the mean time?

Impressions, sure. How you know each other will be covered by the first game post.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

quote:

Battle Rows
Can we all be in the back row or do I have to be in the front for a back row to even exist?

I'll probably change build slightly if the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Assuming he's emulating the games, there has to be a front row for the back row to exist.

• Locked thread