Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Hey, I like your application process. Group char gen is something people miss out on with PbP.

It was in a Bioshock inspired Dungeon World PbP that I played my favorite character–an alcoholic bounty hunter with the conflict curse from nethack, with the evil spirits of the people she killed or whose haunts she got too close to all in tow behind her, and all just waiting to get revenge when her spirit leaked out of her corpse. From that she became a paranoid hardass too young to die, and secretly a farsighted machinist and party mom. The best scene I can think of to describe that last part goes like this: the party boards and steals a submarine and names it the Priceless, but no one really knows how to operate it because all the competent people on it died or fled. So Ramona finds the manual, starts a celebration party, drinks everyone under the table until she's the only one not passed out, tucks them all into various beds–the little frogman alchemist was laid in a cookpot–then whips out her reading glasses and crams the whole manual, still worrying that someone might regain consciousness and see her in nerd form and then she'd have to kill them. I think the large part of what made the character fun to play was being Dungeon World Evil, which for the Fighter class meant being able to get XP from killing a defenseless enemy. I chose to make that an expression of fear instead of cruelty, and from that a character forced to be so selfish, controlling, and tightly wound to stay alive, having to drink herself to sleep, but not liking any of it and trying to not be a lovely person whenever the coast was clear. That antihero stuff, basically.

In terms of Final Fantasy Experience, I've played all of them up to 10-2, and the spinoffs released in that time, then just bits and pieces after that. I used to play the hell out of every squaresoft/enix game I could get my hands on. Even Ehrgeiz. And patching fanmade translations onto ROMs was a thing.

1, 4, and Tactics were my favorites because each of them introduced me to brand new kinds of games as a kid. First D&D in general, then a game with a plot and drama and such, then a game with intrigue and branching progression with class systems and TTRPG combat. After that they just got prettier and longer, which is still good of course. Thanks to the magic of sped-the-hell-up emulation I still play some of them every once in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I'd like to go Ninja or Dragoon. Viera or Varg.

e; Looking at it, Samurai might be fun too.

e2; or Summoner!

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 31, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Gotta admit I kind of want to reach for EXTREME initiative with crafted Speed gear.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Krysmphoenix posted:

So a thought came to me out of the blue when I glanced through Bard. What if I played Maria? As in the historical figure from the opera in Final Fantasy VI? Only instead of happily marrying Draco, he and Ralse ended up killing each other, both of their kingdoms fell into ruin causing her to flee and somehow end up with one of the six crystals? Probably going to end up being a Human though.

Thinking probably try to take a few social skills to be the face of the party. Chocobo Companion (because I'm not giving that up), Gillionaire, and Heirloom. Disadvantages with Code of Honor since she is, or was, a noble, and Devil's Brand since part of her died that night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xFhULStbkQ

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Radiant Lycoris

Knowing she would have to grow up laying many of them on her parents' grave, she was named after the Red Spider Lily. Now she lives to bury the monsters who were responsible, and leaves her titular Corpse Flower seeds where they lie. Her cricket familiar Klynbroda is the only one who really gets her to crack a smile.

Quote:
Destroying monster after monster, Diane mutters cool parting words,
"You're finished!
Die!
Rest in Peace!
Begone!
Get out!
Farewell!
Let's end this!
It's over!"
"Ah..."

Dian draws a blank on the next deathstrike line, but Klynbroda comes in for the save, not missing a beat–
"I think we should see other people!
It's not you, it's me!"

Dian smiles and joins in,
"I just need some space!
We're not meant to be!
I love you, but I'm not in love with you!
...Dammit, how many more of these bastards are there?!"

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Blood Type: AB
Positive Traits: Intense, Motivated, Resourceful, Cool, Rational
Negative Traits: Intolerant, Domineering, Distrustful, Critical, Unforgiving

Advanced Traits: Stigma, Beauty, Grand Entrance, Heightened Senses, Vengeance, Straight Arrow.

pre:
Name: Radiant Lycoris
Race: Hellsguard Roegadyn
Job: Fighter
Level: 1
Experience: /500

HP: 49	HP Die: 1d12

Now	Max	Rating	Default	Last Raised
STR	11	26	43	21		
VIT	15	30	55	26		
AGI	3	20	19	10		
SPD	9	19	37	18		
MAG	1	13	13	6		
SPR	1	12	13	6		

EVA:	12	M. EVA:	2
ARM:	6	M. ARM:	2
DEX:	57	MND:	53
ACC:	97	M. ACC:	103

Name		DMG	ARM	M.ARM	EVA	M.EVA	Effects/Notes
RHand	Boomerang	22+d6					
LHand	Boomerang	22+d6					
Head	Soldier Helmet		3	1			+10ACC
Body					
Glove	Gilt Glove		2	1			Headhunter	
Acc		

Inventory
Tonic	x2 
Red Spider Lilies and seeds
15 gil

Advantages
Combat Reflexes 2
Goddess's Mark 3
Good Fortune 1
Hardened 2
Animal Companion 2: Sentient 2, Summoned 2, Skilled 5, Highly Skilled 10

Disadvantages
Fury 1
Vulnerability 2: Toxin
Vulnerability 4: Mystify
Elemental Deficiency 3: Holy

Skills
50	Awareness
50	Bows
50	Swords
50	Thrown
50	Two Weapons
50	Weapon Systems
50	Stealth
20	Animal Training

Languages
50	Common
20	Roegadyn
50	Ancient

Lore
20	Roegadyn Area
20	Roegadyn History
20	Roegadyn Folklore
30	Abnormal Monster

Klynbroda's Skills
50	Inquiry

Job Abilities/Spells
BATTLE SKILL
The Fighter’s forte is versatility, not technique. A good Fighter uses
every weapon at her disposal and every edge she can find in the
name of ultimate victory, a fact reflected in the Fighter's abilities.

! Battlefield Genius
While weapon abilities are canceled out by most Warrior
abilities (the Archer's Take Aim is an example of an
exception), every single one of the Fighter's abilities using
weapon damage continue to make use of their weapon
abilities .

MIGHTY STRIKE Level 1
Target: Single Type: Slow Action (2)
Focusing on a lone opponent, the Fighter gathers her strength for
an all-or-nothing blow in the hopes of striking some weak point – a
rent in the armor, a loose scale, a vulnerable underbelly.
  Roll for Mighty Strike as you would for a normal Attack Action,
halving the Fighter’s Accuracy after modifying for the target’s
Evasion. If the attack is successful, Mighty Strike inflicts 200%,
Armor Physical damage on the targeted combatant. Equipment
Abilities may be used in this attack, and effects that increase the
likelihood of a Critical Hit affect the CoS of Mighty Strike by an equal
amount – +5 or +10 for Signature Weapon; +10 or +20 for
Critical+ and Critical++ respectively. However, Mighty Strike itself
cannot score Critical Hits.
hp: 1d12 2 :rolleyes:
Can I use Good Fortune on this roll? :v:

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 3, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Maleketh posted:

I'd advise against focusing solely on katanas. One of the biggest benefits of being a Fighter is that they can use any weapon in the game, and that diversity is a pretty huge asset. With several kinds of weapons at their disposal they can swap out weapon types as they find new models that suit their needs.

Nope, gotta take the good with the bad. It'll even out eventually.
I hedged my bets with the weapon group that has the most individual types. I can still use Knight Swords, Light Swords, and Swordy Swords too, I just wanted to be best at the kind of swords that match the picture I found.

Gonna switch out Brawling with Throwing though.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

You can probably scrounge up 7 or 8 MAG with equipment if you're really concerned about hitting the cap (30).

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Maleketh posted:

The party so far, for my reference and yours:

Krysmphoenix: Bard?
Arrrthritis: Yeti Blue Mage
Kurieg: Moogle Sage (?)
Rhyos: Elf Thief
slydingdoor: Galka (Roegadyn) Fighter
EclecticTastes: Human TIme Mage (Dwarf Engineer?)

The blue mage and time mage should cover magic damage well enough, the sage can heal and act as a backup offensive caster, the fighter's a solid tank, the thief is fast as hell, and bard is a great support job. Your team's a little light on durability, but I reckon you should be fine.

If the team is so glass I could go Swordmaster for Provoke or Paladin for Cover. What does everyone think? GM included.

e; I just made one because I already had my template.

Edel Weisse
Deep in the woodland caverns she and her fellow gray elf robbers were being chased by surprisingly tenacious Wildwoods. When one friend was wounded and a stolen bag pierced, she noticed the bag was full of rare flower seeds and didn't shrink even as it left a long trail of them. Realizing that was what they were after, Edel took it and split off of the group to lead their pursuers away. A mage tried to cause the cave to collapse in front of her but she swam up and through the crumbling rocks and ended up in a secret shrine, with the magic bag her only possession not utterly destroyed. There was a giant mirror in the chamber, and the cave in let in the morning sunlight reflecting it all over her, and it burned. She crawled into a shady spot at the foot of it and saw her reflection was no ninja in training, but a knight in shining armor. Her eyes adjusted to the light and she saw the beautiful path of flowers that had bloomed behind her, touched the reflection, and was forever changed.

pre:
Name: Edel Weisse
Race: Duskwight Elezen
Job: Paladin
Level: 1
Experience: /500

HP: 52	HP Die: d10
MP: 28	MP Die: d6

Now	Max	Rating	Default	Last Raised
STR	11	23	43	21		
VIT	13	26	49	24		
AGI	1	16	13	6		
SPD	1	17	13	6		
MAG	3	15	19	9		
SPR	11	21	43	21		

EVA:	2	M. EVA:	14
ARM:	13	M. ARM:	6
DEX:	53	MND:	58
ACC:	93	M. ACC:	107

Name		DMG	ARM	M.ARM	EVA	M.EVA	Effects/Notes
RHand	Short Sword	22+d10					
LHand	Short Sword	22+d10					
Body	Leather Plate		5	3
Head	Soldier Helmet		3	1			+10ACC
Hands	Bright Gauntlet		2	1			Blind Proof		
Acc		

Inventory
Wool Flowers and seeds
15 gil

Advantages
Signature Weapon 5: Swords 
Good Fortune 1
Hardened 2
Pure Soul 2

Disadvantages
Defenseless 1
Fury 2
Vulnerability 3: Transform
Vulnerability 4: Mystify

Skills
50	Awareness
50	Swords 
50	Two Weapons
50	Weapon Systems
50	Stealth
50	Art

Languages
50	Common
20	Elf
50	Ancient

Lore
20	Elf Area
20	Elf History
20	Elf Folklore
50	Abnormal Monster
20	Undead Monster

Job Abilities/Spells
HOLY SWORD
Protector, healer, fighter: the Paladin's talents extend in many
directions.

COVER Level 1
Target: Single Type: Fast Action/Reaction
The Paladin is a protector first and foremost, thinking nothing of
placing herself in harm's way in order to shield a comrade. Cover
allows the Paladin to select a single target to protect; once a target
has been selected, Cover becomes a Reaction Ability. When
triggered, Cover applies all damage that would otherwise be taken by
the target to the Paladin instead, modifying for the Paladin's Armor
as normal. Cover may only affect one target at any given time;
switching targets or removing this protection is a Zero Action, but
requires the Paladin to be able to use the Ability.
Trigger: The Ally being Covered is dealt Physical damage. Will not
trigger if the Paladin is 25% of maximum HP or lower herself.

Sentinel Level 1
Target: Party Type: Reaction
While Paladins can single out individual allies for protection, they are
also trained to keep a close eye on the health of the party as a
whole. When triggered, Sentinel applies all damage that would be
taken by the ally to the Paladin instead, modifying for Armor as
normal. Sentinel does not affect use of Cover, but does not enhance
its effects; Cover will always be used instead of Sentinel where
applicable. If multiple combatants could use Sentinel on the same
target, the one with the highest Hit Points will take the blow.
Trigger: An ally at 25% or fewer of maximum HP is dealt Physical
damage. Will not trigger if the Paladin is 25% of maximum HP or
lower herself.

Intuitive magic Level 1
Target: Varies Type: Magic Ability
The Paladin can use her spellcasting abilities for other purposes.
More details on Intuitive Magic can be found in Chapter 8.
Keywords: Barrier, Healing, Holy, Lightning
HP MP: 1d10 7 1d6 5

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 31, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Oh poo poo I forgot there was an elf.

Guess that was a waste of time and you guys are stuck with the fighter. :v:

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 31, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I went ahead and signed up for it but I'd be fine playing here.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

quote:

Battle Rows
Can we all be in the back row or do I have to be in the front for a back row to even exist?

I'll probably change build slightly if the former.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Kurieg posted:

Assuming he's emulating the games, there has to be a front row for the back row to exist.

Thought that in 6 and 7 at least the whole party could be in the back row.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 1, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Oh I was just answering Kurieg. Longing for the days of the back row guy with cover that still takes half damage from physical attacks no matter which row the person they're blocking for is in.

At any rate, you back row guys better make it worth my while!

e; Switched up the build so I have the option of chilling in the back row and drinking tonics if I get beaten up too badly. And shooting the enemy back row.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 1, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Arrrthritis posted:

I didn't take common because I figure it would be cool to communicate primarily through body language, investing some points in later on to speak stilted- and then decent- common tongue. If you guys think that is a bad idea then I can dump a lore skill for some points in common E: I put one point into Common so I can develop it as I level up.[/i]

Now that I see the spoiler tagged everything I looked it up and everyone automatically get 50 free points in Common and 30 in Awareness. No more needing to play telephone!

e; Also every skill has a minimum rating of 20.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Bitronel: little guy, big imagination. Thinks I'm a man, probably because I'm too scary for the little twerp to stand to look at long enough to figure out the truth. Maybe that's how he keeps the real world out of the little paradise he's stashed under that pom-pom. I can tell you from experience though, that it's good to have a little happy guy around for when things get really dire. "The Bitter One" to Klynbroda.

Henlein: His crystal picked some kind of magical superhero. The body of an old man, with all the experience of a young man! They say he blew up a wizard school trying to bring someone back from the dead. I should introduce him to a less dangerous but more fulfilling ritual called leaving or planting flowers on graves. "Heiny" to Klynbroda.

Princess Maria di Mezzo Carattere: Quite a mouthful for one so bite-sized. Has the most recent death of a loved one, so I'm giving her a break on the whole being sad thing. I feel like if I even gave her some grave flowers to plant in remembrance she'd just–just eat them and then cry a river of magical sadness tears that would evaporate into magical sadness rain... Point is, she needs time. And real people to help her, hugging a chocobo only gets you so far. "Em" to Klynbroda.

Elder Nergüi: Blue mages... probably picked that color to cover up their bruises. This guy has fur for that though. Still don't quite know how to feel about a mage stepping up to get hit. On the one hand, more heat off me. On the other, I'm not looking forward to seeking out monsters with the goal of letting them hit us with a spell. "The Old Güiy" to Klynbroda.

Voleur Defalcator: Klynbroda delivered a fake eulogy for the treasure hunter in my ear that went a little something like, "A great friend has run away from us, never to come back. Not even to borrow money. Some would call him Thief, but let me assure you: outside his shriveled black heart flapped a great big mouth..." In the same boat as Old G–Elder Nergüi, except instead of wanting us to get hit by such and such spell it'll be letting a monster beat the crap out of us while he tries to knick some magic shoes from a giant wolf or something. Klynbroda can't pick a nickname for him, he's torn between "Valor"–as in "the better part of," and "Mister Defecator." The first one's faster to say but economy isn't a priority for my little cricket-man.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Ran out of money.

After the row houserule went up I figured I could trade in the katanas for boomerangs and chill in the back for the 90gil's worth of time it'll take for me to afford more stuff.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I value the abilities on the helm and glove, and it would have taken more time and money to upgrade to them later, I'm set on using my two weapon skill, and being in the back row and having tonics can cover up for my lack of body armor until I get some. Body armor also doesn't have abilities I particularly care about so I'm going to be upgrading it ASAP, while I'm more likely to sit on the helm and gloves until I value something more than their abilities.

This way I need to save up 80-95 gil to get body armor. If I had bought vanilla helms and gloves I'd need to save up 255 to sidegrade to the ones with the abilities I wanted.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 3, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

There are 3 wolves that move after everyone else, they just weren't on the recent initiative trackers.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Edited a roll in. Bewildered that we were punished for succeeding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

My b I thought we had a surprise round or something. Didn't think you'd get whacked.

• Locked thread