Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
This takes me way back. Apologies if I totally nerd out for a bit.

Favorite Tabletop Character: It's a toss up between Fiver, the Warforged trenchfighter from a WWI-themed Eberron who wound up leading an army into space and Ras Butten (obvious portmanteau of Bas Rutten), a monk with an improvised weapon focus who narrated every aspect of combat as an instructional video, and never once took a sentient life. I enjoy breaking the 4th wall every now and then, don't have the patience for min-maxing, and love playing characters different than expected. (IE a hulking war machine with enough points in Diplomacy to make peace between 3 nations at a negotiating table, or a monk who regularly gets into bar brawls just so he can educate the party on the finer points of using a tankard as a terrifying tool of war)

Final Fantasy Experience: This is where I really nerd out. Back in the old days of the internet, I played the voice of Thief in a series of flash renditions of 8-bit Theater and had an absolute blast doing it. Weirdly enough, I still get recognized for it moreso than any professional voicework I've done. My first FF experience was with FF1 - a friend and I got all the way to Chaos, decided to try and save, and the cartridge ate our save file. Since then, I played through 7, couldn't bring myself to finish 8&9, and could never get into 10. I haven't had the opportunity to try anything beyond that! It's a toss-up between Tactics and 4 for my favorite. Final Fantasy was the series that got me started doing voice acting, got me inspired to learn swordfighting, and really made me believe that heroes could be real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Unless it steps on anyone's toes, I'm going to reprise the Thief role I had mentioned earlier. If it comes across as too thoughtless/cheesy, let me know, and I'll whip up something different!

Voleur Defalcator Or Thief H. Larceny, Esq. in the lower human tongue.

Was it blatant? Sure. Crass? Undoubtedly. Could anyone prove a single thing? Not a chance. It was one thing to bear witness to the downfall of one's entire civilization, but another entirely to choose to leave it - to use one's years of expertise to subvert the future with a dash of the past to one's ultimate gain. Elfland was on its way out. The millennia of history, culture, and strife on the verge of crumbling into dust, much like the mountains and fertile valleys had been doing recently. Elves lived long enough to realize and recognize the futility of it, and knowing full well how much life he had ahead of him, Thief decided to make those years his. Might may make right in the wild, but the delicate dance of civilization and society was a very sentient creation, one that he was adept at. The interplay of truth and lies was what lived at the center of elven culture, and he planned on wielding it like a neutrally-charged hammer.

Pickpocketing, thievery, legerdemain, the terminology, while legally important, is realistically mere semantics for the practice of possessing someone else's possessions. Gems, in particular, managed to fetch a decent price, because everyone instinctively loves shiny things. Still, this one was quite different. A jagged shard of the purest crystal, the thrumming of a thumb along its' edge yielding a resonance that chimed like freshly-clashed steel and sounded like the most torrentially refreshing breeze.

A great darkness shrouded the world.
The wind died.
The sea raged.
The earth began to decay.
Only a prophecy kept hope alive in people's hearts:
"When darkness veils the world, six warriors of light shall come."
And after journeying far, six warriors did at last appear.
In the hand of each rested a mysterious crystal shard...

His fences and appraisers wrote it off as a useless chunk of glass, hearing nothing and knowing even less. But still, this crystal didn't just resonate, it spoke to him. Called to him in a way he had never experienced before. The fish kills in the oceans, the infertility of the crops, the weird smell on the winds, and the rampant wildfires had been written off as nature taking its' course, purging excess. But this... this signified something more. Something interesting. Not just destiny, but an opportunity to not just take everything that wasn't nailed down, but to pry out the nails and take that, too. A chance to save the world just might be the weight on the other side of the proverbial scale, bringing everything into balance.

pre:
Name: Thief H. Larceny 
Race: Elf
Job: Thief
Level: 1
Experience: 0/

HP: 42/42         HP Die: d8
MP: 0/0           MP Die: n/a

Attribute     Current     Maximum     Rating     Default     Last Raised
Strength       6            21          28
Vitality       6            21          28
Agility        7            20          31
Speed          9            24          37
Magic          4            15          22
Spirit         8            19          34

Evasion: 16         Magic Evasion: 12
Armor: 8             Magic Armor: 9
Dexterity: 65       Mind: 
Accuracy: 54        Magic Accuracy: 
Expertise: 33         Invent: 

Location     Name          DMG   ARM   M.ARM   EVA   M.EVA   Effects/Notes
Right Hand   Dirk          14+d6
Left Hand 
Head
Body         Leather Outfit n/a   4     4      0     0       n/a
Hands        Bronze Bangle  n/a   3     4      0     0       n/a
Accessory

585/600 Spent

Inventory
1 Tonic (HP+25)

Advantages: 
Multitalented: Social     (1 point)      (Affinity for Social skills)
Multitalented: Scholastic (1 point)      (Affinity for Scholastic Skills)
Gillionaire               (5 points)     (+20% Gil share, 600GP start) 
Disadvantages: 
Coward                    (4 points)     (Must retreat if HP<25%)
Elemental Deficiency: Bio (3 points)     (+50% Bio damage)

Skills
260/260 points

Weapon:
Knives         (35)

Thievery:   Aptitude (2:1)
Disguise       (30)
Escape         (40)
Gambling       (32)
Lockpicking    (36)
Pickpocket     (36)
Stealth        (32)
Streetwise     (36)
Traps          (30)

Social:     Multi-Talented Affinity (2:1)
Etiquette      (40)
Intimidation   (30)
Negotiation    (36)
Smooth Talk    (36)

Scholastic: Multi-Talented Affinity (2:1)
Inquiry        (30)

General:
Awareness      (23)

Lores & Languages: Affinity via Scholastic (2:1)
160/160 points spent
Language (Common)  (80)
Language (Elvaan)  (80) - Base points placed here due to racial native tongue
Laguage (Mogri)    (80)
Lore (Elvaan)      (80)
Lore (Criminal)    (50)

Job Abilities/Spells
Steal (Accuracy, Evasion to take an item from target combatant)
I think I've got this sorted out proper, but it's likely I'm missing something. Feel free to critique, and let me know if I'm doing it right!

Rhyos fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 3, 2016

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Voleur

The fabled Marks Warriors of Light, huh? Let's take a look at 'em one by one:

Maria
Short. Cute. Has seen some poo poo out there. Something is haunting her, but there's still a spark there. The fact that she has her own personal Chocobo means she's likely a lady of means, which means more means for me, if I'm not too mean about it. Such is the way! She just might be the only other one who can talk circles around me.

Nergüi
Big. Hairy. Could very easily be the poo poo someone sees out there. He doesn't say a whole hell of a lot, but there's definitely some intelligence there. Smart enough to agree with me, and mute enough not to protest? I think I can get behind that. Especially if there's something coming my way!

Bitronel
I like this kid! Something about Moogles has always fascinated me. So young, so chipper, so idealistic - so naive! If I were to be philanthropic, I would probably give my hat to this guy. If I had one. Which I don't. I wonder if it'll weird him out when I start speaking in Moogle?

Lycoris
Gorgeous. Deadly. Sad. Much like Maria, something has done her wrong. Unlike Maria, she looks like she could kick my rear end 7 ways past Morndas, so I'll keep things a bit more level. Interesting little buggyfriend, though!

Henlein
It's hard to tell when this guy really is. Time magic does some weeeeird stuff, and talking from experience, are really, really hard to steal stuff from. I mean, if you take anything from them, you get your cashout immediately, because you never know when your loot will simply stop existing.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

slydingdoor posted:

Voleur Defalcator: "Mister Defecator." The first one's faster to say but economy isn't a priority for my little cricket-man.

This made me laugh in the middle of work. Thank you for this.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Maleketh posted:

Hey, Rhyos, I know I'm a bit late on this, but I just noticed that you only have a rating of 15 in Thrown Weapons, when the minimum is 20. You'll need to either reassign those points or lower some others to get to 20.

Bumped up the stabbin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
I'll have to check it out! As for 8-bit Theater, I say bring it on - I did build Thief, after all!

• Locked thread