Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Kirby dreams about golf?

Kirby's Dream Course is a 1994 spinoff in the Kirby franchise, a series about a pink circle that can copy the powers of enemies he eats, and boy can that pink circle eat a lot! The plot (yes there is one) is that the nefarious King Dedede has decided to change tactics in his mad quest to take over Dream Land, and has challenged Kirby to a game of Golf, the rules of which mandate that no eating is allowed on the course. How diabolical! And due to the lack of any golf balls, Kirby must become the ball! (I'm pretty sure that's the plot...)

The combination of Kirby elements such as the copy abilities and the simplistic rules of mini-golf make this game very much memorable and enjoyable to this day. I forget if it's on the Virtual Console, and they never made any sequel or remake, nor are there any ROM hacks, which I would fully welcome. I need more Golf in my life.

That's why I'm playing another semi-related game along with it.

What's a Tee Shot and why is it Special?

Special Tee Shot is a game that was in development at one point until HAL decided to retool it into Kirby's Dream Course. A couple years later, they decided to release the original, non-Kirby game on the Satellaview, Nintendo's primitive, satellite-based precursor to services like Steam and XBLA. Naturally, it was only available in Japan. There seem to be absolutely no playthroughs of Special Tee Shot, which is a shame - though I consider Kirby's Dream Course to be the superior game, Special Tee Shot is a pretty crazy game in its own right.

You're getting Hole-in-ones on every hole, right?

Do I look that crazy to you?

Videos ahead

Kirby's Dream Course
Course 1
Course 2
Course 3
Course 4
Course 5
Course 6
Course 7
Course 8 + DeDeDe

Extra Course 1 and 2
Extra Course 3 and 4
Extra Course 5 and 6
Extra Course 7 and 8

TAS Commentary

Special Tee Shot
Beginner Course
Amateur Course
Pro Course
Master Course
Extra 1
Extra 2
Extra 3
Extra 4
Gold

Ephraim225 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Yes!!! I'm in. This is already a great LP, I can't believe a Kirby Golf LP has me this excited.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Kirby Golf is a great little spin off, surprised there hasn't been a revival.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Kirby's Dream Course, Course 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjtK7V5-z-s

And if you think it's just Kirby that gets the crazy hole-in-ones, there's plenty in the other game, too!

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

This game is really cool and good and I loved it as a kid.

What's really striking to me as I watch the game now is how the level intros are really good about suggesting the functionality of mechanics that aren't made immediately obvious by the levels themselves. As simplistic as the game is on the surface, it really gives the impression that there was a massive amount of editing and review that went into this game.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Special Tee Shot, Amateur Course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6rEf1xie7Y

Sometimes you just have to point and shoot without worrying too much in this game, I suppose.

Black Balloon posted:

What's really striking to me as I watch the game now is how the level intros are really good about suggesting the functionality of mechanics that aren't made immediately obvious by the levels themselves. As simplistic as the game is on the surface, it really gives the impression that there was a massive amount of editing and review that went into this game.

Some of the abilities even have properties that come in handy that even the developers probably didn't consider. It's really a great game to go back to every now and again. I'm surprised we don't have dozens of ROM hacks of it despite the existence of a level editor.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

In Special Tee Shot, is it possible to come to a complete stop in the area that has the 'waves' going on, where the game gives you control again, but then a wave comes out and pushes you off anyway?

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

In Special Tee Shot, is it possible to come to a complete stop in the area that has the 'waves' going on, where the game gives you control again, but then a wave comes out and pushes you off anyway?

In either game, when you stop in the path of a moving obstacle, the game won't give you control until the obstacle moves you to a place that isn't in the path of a moving obstacle.

In other words, that wave is going to move you, Gordo is going to impale you, and Kracko is going to zap you. Jerks!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I want Nintendo to start doing Kirby spinoff games again. The mid-'90s gave us pinball, block ball/Breakout, golf, and a puzzle game. They came out with Tilt n Tumble a few years later, where you could tilt the Game Boy and use it to control Kirby. After that, I can't think of anything.

Cobalt Zeroni
Feb 15, 2015

Y-Hat posted:

I want Nintendo to start doing Kirby spinoff games again. The mid-'90s gave us pinball, block ball/Breakout, golf, and a puzzle game. They came out with Tilt n Tumble a few years later, where you could tilt the Game Boy and use it to control Kirby. After that, I can't think of anything.

There's been plenty of spinoff-y games since then. Air Ride, Canvas Curse, Epic Yarn, Mass Attack and Rainbow Curse.

Honestly, the real surprise to me is how many normal-style Kirby games we've gotten in the past few years - it feels like Return to Dream Land was a watershed moment.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Oddly enough, the last Kirby game I actually liked was Canvas Curse. It's weird when everything except the core part of the series is what I'm enjoying most.

Kirby's Dream Course - Course 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fago_iEMSSY

EDIT: Okay I am getting extremely lucky with the video thumbnails, how does that keep happening?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Good LP. I've casually enjoyed playing bits of Dream Course, but after watching the first few levels, it's way more interesting and strategic/finesse-based than I remembered. My mind is kind of boggled that there's never been a follow-up game, it would work perfectly on eShop if nothing else.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Special Tee Shot - Pro Course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3NOW61GG_A

I didn't mention it in the video, but someone has gotten that glass panel obstacle to softlock by getting the ball stuck in an endless bounce loop. Good thing that's rare.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Oh yes I loved this game when I was a kid. Who would have thought that a Kirby golf game would be so crazy fun?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

What effect does starting underwater have - just reduced power or something else? It's tough to really see any difference just from watching the video.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

What effect does starting underwater have - just reduced power or something else? It's tough to really see any difference just from watching the video.

Not just reduced, power, you know how there's that little meter that bounces between top and back spin when you make a chip shot? If you're in a hazard it doubles in speed.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ah, thanks. I'd noticed that meter moving fast on some other shots but didn't notice they were starting in a hazard as well.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

TheFattestPat posted:

Oh yes I loved this game when I was a kid. Who would have thought that a Kirby golf game would be so crazy fun?
Everything is better when you add Kirby to it.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I love the kirby game. I use to play it on my commute until I could hole in one every single level including the bonus levels. Also if you haven't seen the game grumps play the vs levels its loving hilarious.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I love the kirby game. I use to play it on my commute until I could hole in one every single level including the bonus levels. Also if you haven't seen the game grumps play the vs levels its loving hilarious.

I agree, being bad at video games is great.

Kirby's Dream Course - Course 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOMxDSxN52k

There was an audio balancing problem in the recording. I believe I've fixed it so let me know if the audio is off or anything.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tornado had a revival of sorts in mid-2000s Kirby games thanks to Nightmare in Dreamland (the Kirby's Adventure remake). It appeared in The Amazing Mirror, Squeak Squad, and Return to Dreamland.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

Tornado had a revival of sorts in mid-2000s Kirby games thanks to Nightmare in Dreamland (the Kirby's Adventure remake). It appeared in The Amazing Mirror, Squeak Squad, and Return to Dreamland.

Good to know. What about Ball power?

Special Tee Shot - Master Course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv7xBRIFUDo

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
gently caress yeah Top Spin best weapon :hfive:.

This is very enjoyable to watch, I like how well-made the physics seem to be!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I loved Kirby's Dream Course as a kid, though I found it extremely frustrating, and evidently was never good enough to unlock courses 5-8, as this is the first I've heard of them.

You should show off the 2P mode in all its friendship-ending glory.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

I loved Kirby's Dream Course as a kid, though I found it extremely frustrating, and evidently was never good enough to unlock courses 5-8, as this is the first I've heard of them.

You should show off the 2P mode in all its friendship-ending glory.

What did you think the numbers one through eight on the file select screen were for??

I definitely want to do the 2P mode. However, that requires a 2P. Anyone know what the best netplay options for SNES are?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ephraim225 posted:

Good to know. What about Ball power?
If you don't count Kirby's Pinball Land and Kirby's Block Ball, it was only in Kirby's Adventure (and Nightmare in Dreamland, the GBA remake).

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Ephraim225 posted:

What did you think the numbers one through eight on the file select screen were for??

On second thought, I must be misremembering, as I can clearly recall a copy ability that you haven't encountered yet.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

If you don't count Kirby's Pinball Land and Kirby's Block Ball, it was only in Kirby's Adventure (and Nightmare in Dreamland, the GBA remake).

It really is the spinoffs in this franchise that are more interesting to me than much else.

Kirby's Dream Course, Course 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVfCLEojT5I

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Hmm, no, I definitely never made it this far after all. The remaining two powers apparently show up in 2P mode on the earlier courses, which explains my confusion.

Hole 7 here looks like the rage-quittingest hole so far. Yikes.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

Hole 7 here looks like the rage-quittingest hole so far. Yikes.

I'd certainly have ragequit trying to hole-in-one it. And who knows what the other parts of the game are going to be like.

Special Tee Shot - Extra 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGOru8Xc9xM

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Must. Avoid. Schedule Slip.

Kirby's Dream Course - Course 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPHZpB8sTPA

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I imagine some of the holes take a while to figure out the hole-in-one strategies, or to practice the technique to pull off the strategy. Does the game ever give you the option to pick out individual holes to practice, or is it one of those "it's your only new game this year, might as well play each course 5000 times" kind of things?

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

I imagine some of the holes take a while to figure out the hole-in-one strategies, or to practice the technique to pull off the strategy. Does the game ever give you the option to pick out individual holes to practice, or is it one of those "it's your only new game this year, might as well play each course 5000 times" kind of things?

There's a level select feature.

Unlocked when you get Gold on every course.

Huh. That must be how Nintendo Power got Stone power on a hole you physically can't have it on.

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014
Gotta love how it unlocks after the point where it would be useful.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Spielmeister posted:

Gotta love how it unlocks after the point where it would be useful.

My exact thought as well.

In other news, I somehow missed that Dream Course went up on 3DS virtual console just a few days after this thread started: http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/kirbys-dream-course-3ds
I think I know what my next VC game will be.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

My exact thought as well.

In other news, I somehow missed that Dream Course went up on 3DS virtual console just a few days after this thread started: http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/kirbys-dream-course-3ds
I think I know what my next VC game will be.

That's awesome. Maybe sales of the VC version will convince them to do a sequahahaha they'd never do that

Special Tee Shot - Extra Course 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXVAeHMnvpU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Well it's not official, but there's a romhack to the tune of about 150 custom holes.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

Well it's not official, but there's a romhack to the tune of about 150 custom holes.

HOLY MARX.

....bullshit I wanted to be the first to make a KDC hack...that's what my laziness gets me...

Maybe I ought to blind LP this when the original game is overwith?

EDIT: It's apparently 2-player only. Great idea.

Ephraim225 fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 7, 2016

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Yeah that romhack was specifically made for game grumps to play on their channel, that's why it's just jam packed with 2 player levels. It's still a really cool project considering they made an actual CARTRIDGE for it and sent it to them. There's even a new intro and new sprites but they're all game grumps references that make no sense unless you're super into them. It's a bummer that it's 2 player only but I love me some kirby's dream course and the fact that some people are talking about it again in 2016 is both weird and awesome to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Ultra Spoot posted:

Yeah that romhack was specifically made for game grumps to play on their channel

They'll never finish it if they do. I've seen them play.

Kirby's Dream Course - Course 7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAmSqDnmT5Y

• Locked thread