Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

While I understand why they invited those mothers, police ahootings have more legs than Benghazi, I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't mention I feel this move is still kinda scummy.
I'll gladly eat my words if people approach this with tact though.

I agree it's a BIT sketchy, but there's a key difference here in that the police are actually responsible for their hate crimes while the RNC acted like Hillary personally led the Benghazi attack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah I get that, I'm reserving judgement.

Christ I hate this. Berniebros can single handedly give this loving election to Trump if they continue their dumb poo poo. Now is not the time to prove the media is right about both sides equally divided.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

J.A.B.C. posted:

Well, it was nice while it lasted, guys. Russia is going to install a puppet president with a bad wig because the idea of compromise is dead. Great ducking job, everyone.

Clinton has enough delegates even without the Sanders supporters. Let them boo, they're not changing anything. And Trump still doesn't have the votes to get elected.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

This is gonna be a rough convention, isn't it?

The GOPc was by all accounts considered a clown show and it still gave Trump a bump. I imagine after today, there will be a calm, especially tomorrow when Bill gives a speech, followed by Wednesday when Obama speaks.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Michael Browns mother isn't going to accuse Trump of being complicit in murdering her son though

This is the key distinction. They're aren't going to be "Lock him up" chants.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Harrow posted:

i think we'll see after Sanders' keynote

if he somehow gets his dels/supporting attendees in line, it'll be fine

emdash fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 25, 2016

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

botany posted:

Clinton has enough delegates even without the Sanders supporters. Let them boo, they're not changing anything. And Trump still doesn't have the votes to get elected.

Only because of super delegates.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Some jackasses booing people isn't going to give Trump the election. If some poll comes out where the majority of Bernie supporters suddenly have changed to Trump because of that one email than maybe but I get the feeling idiots that are now booing Bernie weren't going to vote for Hillary in the first place.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Nitrousoxide posted:

Hillary has the nom without super delegates. Get off this dumb high horse. She has 2200 to Bernie's 1800.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Radish posted:

Some jackasses booing people isn't going to give Trump the election. If some poll comes out where the majority of Bernie supporters suddenly have changed to Trump because of that one email than maybe but I get the feeling idiots that are now booing Bernie weren't going to vote for Hillary in the first place.

According to polls, the current crop of morons making GBS threads up the place over the email thing represents 15-20% of Bernie voters.

So yeah, they're loud, but not representative.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

J.A.B.C. posted:

Well, it was nice while it lasted, guys. Russia is going to install a puppet president with a bad wig because the idea of compromise is dead. Great ducking job, everyone.

But enough about Hillary Clinton.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

seiferguy posted:

The GOPc was by all accounts considered a clown show and it still gave Trump a bump. I imagine after today, there will be a calm, especially tomorrow when Bill gives a speech, followed by Wednesday when Obama speaks.

I predict these idiots boo the sitting president of the united States

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah I get that, I'm reserving judgement.

Christ I hate this. Berniebros can single handedly give this loving election to Trump if they continue their dumb poo poo. Now is not the time to prove the media is right about both sides equally divided.

If Hillary manages to gently caress this up it'll be because her campaign didn't put enough resources into finding and turning out marginally attached voters in close states, not because a few thousand jagoffs decided to have a protest vote.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

seiferguy posted:

Hillary has the nom without super delegates. Get off this dumb high horse. She has 2200 to Bernie's 1800.

2205/2383 needed.

It would have been a contested convention without super delegates.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah, so she has the delegates.

seiferguy posted:

She needs 2383, so no she doesn't.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

botany posted:

Don't you use your facts on me!

Honestly, though, this poo poo is crazy. Some people just do not understand about ideas like compromise, growth or the big picture, and throw a fit (even against the person they championed) because they didn't get what they wanted.

And it isn't like Bernie's support hasn't already led to changes in how the Clinton campaign has talked about issues. No, she is a witch who put a hex on his supporters to suppress the glorious revolution. Nothing else makes sense, right?

I like Bern but he lost. Let his message live on and lets elect someone who can actually make it possible.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

2205/2383 needed.

Without super delegates, more delegates would have been awarded from the votes, which would put Hillary over the top.

Also I, for one, am shocked that the guy who told his supporters "Everything in the world, including voting itself, is rigged against you in favor of my opponent" is booed when he supports the person he railed against.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Ladies and gentlemen, the birth of the Ratfuck Party.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

comes along bort posted:

If Hillary manages to gently caress this up it'll be because her campaign didn't put enough resources into finding and turning out marginally attached voters in close states, not because a few thousand jagoffs decided to have a protest vote.

Pretty much. I would guess the average voter doesn't really like people that fit the berniebro stereotype so them being pissy, especially when Bernie himself is trying to unite stuff, isn't going to result in some kind of anti-Hillary swell.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

comes along bort posted:

This convention is ideally supposed to be about getting the base fired up and read to participate. If the party is visibly fracturing apart during the event, that's not likely to happen.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Nitrousoxide posted:

2205/2383 needed.

how are you this dumb

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Nitrousoxide posted:

2205/2383 needed.

Without super delegates the total number of delegates and required delegates for %50 + 1 would be lower. Hillary has a majority of pledged delegates, so if sort delegates didn't exist she would still be nominee on first ballot.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

If hillary loses I'm looking forward to the inevitable blaming of leftists for losing the election. The boogeyman works so well for both parties!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
SUPERDELEGATES is the leftwing Benghazi

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Monaghan posted:

If hillary loses I'm looking forward to the inevitable blaming of leftists for losing the election. The boogeyman works so well for both parties!

It's pretty much already started and all it took was like 20 dumbfucks booing.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Monaghan posted:

yes calling some booing people morons is "blaming the left", both parties are just as bad the truth is in the middle etc

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Monaghan posted:

No if Hillary loses I will blame it on America being dumb as gently caress and these "leftists" are just a part of that rich dumbass rainbow

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
The convention is going to be fine. the rnc's was an insane shitshow and it still gave trump a bounce in the polls, because that's what conventions do

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Monaghan posted:

I'll blame the myopic morons who want to divide the party when a nationalist strongman is running for the GOP. This is the worst election to pull this poo poo.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Similar to the christian right, the small minority of extremely poo poo berniebros seem to have one chief uniting factor: a massive persecution complex

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Monaghan posted:

If Hillary loses then it will correctly be seen as a referendum on the failure of leftist politics. It's not a boogeyman, it's the truth. If liberals can't achieve the cohesion needed to stand up to overt the fascism represented by Trump and the GOP, then they will have fundamentally failed. Frankly if progressives intentionally tank the 2016 election and permit 4-8 years of Trump, I don't really see how it can be seen as a coherent political ideology moving forward. Some people have this idea that if leftists withhold their support from Democrats then it will cause a leftward shift in future elections, but history has shown that the opposite is true. If you want liberal politicians, you have to show that the liberal party is functional and that being a liberal politician is feasible.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 25, 2016

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

I'll blame the myopic morons who want to divide the party when a nationalist strongman is running for the GOP. This is the worst election to pull this poo poo.

but did you know that emails exist

someone wondered if an old man was jewish, this scandal has rocked the core of everything I believe in

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Kaal posted:

If Hillary loses then it will correctly be seen as a referendum on the failure of leftist politics. It's not a boogeyman, it's the truth. If liberals can't achieve the cohesion needed to stand up to overt the fascism represented by Trump and the GOP, then they will have fundamentally failed. Frankly if progressives intentionally tank the 2016 election and permit 4-8 years of Trump, I don't really see how it can be seen as a coherent political ideology moving forward.

Uhhh, who exactly is going to conclude this and why will it matter?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Helsing posted:

Uhhh, who exactly is going to conclude this and why will it matter?

The alien archaeologists brushing away the gold dust to find the remains of our grim history

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If Hillary loses to Trump it's because the DNC put up a bad candidate. Trump is a joke and anyone should be happy to run against him. I still think Hillary (and will win!! knock on wood) will make a good President but if she is so tarnished after twenty years of character assassination the fact of the matter is that should be an important consideration in her elect-ability to a country that isn't made up entirely of Democrats. Saying the leftists threw this election because a small percentage of them that were never going to vote for her anyway threw a tantrum is just a way to overlook the fact that the democrats were outmaneuvered by a charismatic fascist that appealed to white supremacy while they couldn't get enough people energized to vote.

The dumbasses booing people today would not have voted or voted for Stein (or Johnson) if Bernie didn't exist. They shouldn't be considered potential Democratic voters; nothing Hillary was going to do would get them on board. Of course this is all based on the absurd meltdown people are preemptively having because of one thing that happened that no one is going to care about in a week.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 25, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Kaal posted:

If Hillary loses then it will correctly be seen as a referendum on the failure of leftist politics. It's not a boogeyman, it's the truth. If liberals can't achieve the cohesion needed to stand up to overt the fascism represented by Trump and the GOP, then they will have fundamentally failed. Frankly if progressives intentionally tank the 2016 election and permit 4-8 years of Trump, I don't really see how it can be seen as a coherent political ideology moving forward. Some people have this idea that if leftists withhold their support from Democrats then it will cause a leftward shift in future elections, but history has shown that the opposite is true. If you want liberal politicians, you have to show that the liberal party is functional and that being a liberal politician is feasible.

considering Bernie was overwhelmingly the candidate of younger voters, I'd say this was a triumph for leftist/progressive candidates regardless of whether Trump wins or loses

the next Dem nominee will need to be much more in the mold of Sanders rather than another centrist like Clinton or Obama, because that's where the demographics are headed

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

considering Bernie was overwhelmingly the candidate of younger voters, I'd say this was a triumph for leftist/progressive candidates regardless of whether Trump wins or loses

the next Dem nominee will need to be much more in the mold of Sanders rather than another centrist like Clinton or Obama, because that's where the demographics are headed

Sure is a good thing the next president will be more progressive when he inherits a depression-level economy and conservative supreme court

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Harrow posted:

Just for this forum. Everyone's going to be insulting each other because this is our convention to fight, when the last convention was the time for the Republicans to fight.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Sure is a good thing the next president will be more progressive when he inherits a depression-level economy and conservative supreme court

that would be preferable to Tom Cotton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Radish posted:

If Hillary loses to Trump it's because the DNC put up a bad candidate. Trump is a joke and anyone should be happy to run against him. I still think Hillary (and will win!! knock on wood) will make a good President but if she is so tarnished after twenty years of character assassination the fact of the matter is that should be an important consideration in her elect-ability to a country that isn't made up entirely of Democrats. Saying the leftists threw this election because a small percentage of them that were never going to vote for her anyway threw a tantrum is just a way to overlook the fact that the democrats were outmaneuvered by a charismatic fascist that appealed to white supremacy while they couldn't get enough people energized to vote.

The dumbasses booing people today would not have voted or voted for Stein (or Johnson) if Bernie didn't exist. They shouldn't be considered potential Democratic voters; nothing Hillary was going to do would get them on board. Of course this is all based on the absurd meltdown people are preemptively having because of one thing that happened that no one is going to care about in a week.

If Hillary loses it's because people are too loving dumb to vote for the person who isn't a literal loving fascist strongman.

• Locked thread