Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Antonius Carmine

"..."

Antonius seems a bit put off by the remark.

"...You would immediately be seen. You going would defeat the whole point of stealth."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Gretchen Dearheart

"I wasn't saying that you shouldn't mister, I'm just pointing that out to you in case you wet yourself. But if you are reeeeeeally sure." Gretchen Shrugs.

"I'll wait for ya, I promise your body will still be here when you get back."

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Antonius Carmine

With a quiet harumph, Antonius sent his head on its way, the flying cranium quickly disappearing into the shadowy corridor.

Trying to scout the newcomer without being seen
Head+Flying Detachable Head (6#1d10): 9 10 3 9 4 9 -> Triple 9

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Cosette (real) gulps, before climbing into her big sister's shirt, head poking out from between some buttons. "...Well. I'll be fine..." she says, nervously.

Alas, no successes: http://orokos.com/roll/426888

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Cosette slowly descends the stairs, transported by her faithful dummy. She knows, in her head, that she is relatively close to the sunlight, but now it feels like it's miles away. And it's so stuffy and dark... is there enough air in here for her tiny lungs? She feels like she has trouble breathing.

All of a sudden, she sees a dark shape flying through the darkness! It is... it is Antonius' head, detached from its body and flying around. The sight of a friendly face, even one appearing in such a way, puts her slightly more at ease.

I am now going to roll 10d10 for the stairs' attempt to creep you out enough to damage you, and am going to count the roll Antonius made as a defense for Cosette against the scaryness of the stairs.
Being so creepy they actually damage you: 10d10 49
Holy poo poo, that's a quadruple 3! The inherent calming sight of a friendly floating head eats up two damage, but you still take one damage to the Guts.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Antonius Carmine

With a sudden jerk, Antonius' body feels around a bit until it grazes Gretchen, then turning towards the girl. It makes letters in the air with the help of both hands.

C-O-S-E-T-T-E

"Oh, it's you", says the floating head with some degree of relief, before its brows furrow a bit "Why are you here? You should not wander out like that in the night."

The head comes a bit closer. "But I suppose it can't be helped now. Come, follow me down. I know the stairs are a bit scary, but they are still just normal stairs. I'll go with you."

Trying to instill some Courage to Cosette to help her descend
Guts+Courage (6#1d10): 1 10 6 2 9 4 -> Welp. Nothing.

Coming from a disembodied head however, the words fail to sound very convincing.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Gretchen Dearheart

Oh dear, Cosette is caught up in this mess.

"Ah I see" Now that they knew who it was she cupped her hands and shouted up the stairs.

"It's just a bloody staircase! Relax yourself!"

---

Gretchen is also gonna roll that Guts+Courage to help Cosette with the creepy staircase.

6#1d10 = 4, 4, 4, 3, 2, 1

Triple 4!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

paradoxGentleman posted:

Cosette slowly descends the stairs, transported by her faithful dummy. She knows, in her head, that she is relatively close to the sunlight, but now it feels like it's miles away. And it's so stuffy and dark... is there enough air in here for her tiny lungs? She feels like she has trouble breathing.

All of a sudden, she sees a dark shape flying through the darkness! It is... it is Antonius' head, detached from its body and flying around. The sight of a friendly face, even one appearing in such a way, puts her slightly more at ease.

I am now going to roll 10d10 for the stairs' attempt to creep you out enough to damage you, and am going to count the roll Antonius made as a defense for Cosette against the scaryness of the stairs.
Being so creepy they actually damage you: 10d10 49
Holy poo poo, that's a quadruple 3! The inherent calming sight of a friendly floating head eats up two damage, but you still take one damage to the Guts.

Cosette is freaked. She stands there, buried under layers of elaborately ruffled clothing, before going "Okay, okay, I can do this!" and trying to head down.

(Somehow this one worked. http://orokos.com/roll/427361 )

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The air is full of dust, and it smells of old. Shouldn't you have reached the bottom of the stairs by now? How much more do they go on? How much more CAN they go on?

Remember that you don't have to necessarily use Guts+Courage, if you can think of something else that could help you traverse the stairs, like reasoning that nothing in there could possibly arm you with Head+Out-Think or just running down as fast as possible with Feet+P.E. that's fine too!)

In the meantime, the stairs now reduced to 7d10 will continue to attempt to spook you.
Spooky!: 7#1d10 4 6 9 10 6 3 7
That's a double 6, for one more damage to the Guts!

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Antonius Carmine

Seeing Cosette's obvious trepidation, Antonius attempted to soothe her with some choice words.

"I know the stairway seems long and like it never ends, but it's only about as deep as the kitchen. We'll be down soon."

Speak some sense to help calm down Cosette
Head+Out-Think (6#1d10): 4 7 3 5 10 9 -> Sorry Cosette :negative:

Theantero fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 18, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Cosette, or at least her doll, stands a little straight, and brushes some hair back. "Of course. Of course I know that!" she says. It was spooky, but now she had an audience; time to fake.

"It's just stairs..." she said, proceeding down steadily, "You'd have to be a child, or at least very foolish, to find a staircase threatening. Besides, even if I slipped, I'd be pretty much fine; in that respect, I'm pretty much objectively superior..." she says, covering for her anxiety with more arrogant talk.

(Face+Putdown: 7#1d10 1 9 10 7 9 5 1 I worked out how the fancy dice link works!)

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Gretchen Dearheart

"Don't make me have to come up those stairs and carry you down myself! I mean it!"

6#1d10 = 10, 10, 7, 7, 5, 2

Gretchen sighs, you'd think being people who were already endowed with creepy abilities stairs would be the least of their concerns.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The constant rationalization appears to be working. Surely these are just stairs, nothing to be afraid of. Surely.

Alright, let's try to get this done so you can get in more trouble in the depths.
Spook some orphans: 6#1d10 9 10 4 9 9 2
That's a triple 9, whiche would mean 2 damage to the Head. Remember, you can either attack the stairs or make a defensive move to gobble up damage. You are going to reach the end of the stairs soon though, so you might want to defend yourself...
...but keep in mind that if you defeat the stairs by destroying their whole dice pool, they will hold no power over you and you will be able to walk up and down them without battling them.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Antonius Carmine

Ever so silent, Antonius lent Cosette silent support for the last bit of the journey.

Defending Cosette
Guts+Courage (6#1d10): 9 8 6 2 6 8 -> Double 8.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Gretchen Dearheart

"Right! That's it, I'm coming up!" Gretchen shouted, leaving Antonious leaning against a wall and stamped up the dread staircase mumbling under her breath until she got to Cosette.

Guts+Wrestling, (6#1d10): 2, 2, 2, 5, 5, 1 - Triple 2

In one movement, she hoisted the girl and her doll up over her shoulder, and stomped back down the staircase.

"Honestly it's just a bloody staircase you two, what's the problem?"

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

"N-Nothing at all!" Cosette said, hiding in her doll's dress, but speaking for herself. "No matter what the stairs might think, they're actually not all that scary, and really it's kind of embarrassing that they're even trying."

Face+Putdown, again: 7#1d10 3 2 10 9 6 3 7 (Double 3 again :smith:)

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Well, the stairs are still sort of scary in your eyes, but next time they won't be quite as scary next time you climb them.

You are now at the base of the stairs. I assume you are all going to get each other up to speed with what has been going on. After that, what are you going to do? Go back up the stairs, to the altar room? Traverse the secret passage that leads to the kitchen? Or explore the other side of the tunnel, that you still haven't seen yet? I recommend some IC debate on the subject.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Antonius Carmine

Furrowing his brow as Cosette gave her side of the events, and pinching the bridge of his nose as she finished, Antonius was the first one to comment.

"So we are caught, then. I knew something like this would happen. Best not to tempt fate any more than we already have and return with haste."

He gives Gretchen a pointed glare. "But in the interests of diplomacy, I am willing to give the other side of the tunnel a cursory view. A quick look, nothing more."

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Gretchen Dearheart

"You say that as if you aren't just dying to see where all these spooky tunnels go to. I like knowing things, knowing things lets me feel like people aren't lying to us constantly"

"How about you Cosette, you wanna see what's down this creepy tunnel don't you?"

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Cosette directs herself up and onto her head, taking a seat with a good view. "You guys know you're not meant to be down here, right? Wisteria is looking for reasons to get us in trouble."

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Gretchen Dearheart

"Yeah well I have a reputation as a rapscallion to uphold. Consider this to be insurance."

"Insurance as in insuring that we aren't gonna have our throats cut in the middle of the night to feed some dark god, did you see that shrine in the basement, all the weird nonsense that surrounds this town? Something isn't right here and I've had it up to here with dodgy secret conspiracies and people lying to me because I'm a kid."

"Anyway, I didn't ask either of you to come with me, I'm the little troublemaker not you two. I was intending to go look for stuff by myself and lover-boy here tagged along." She said, gesturing to Antonius.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Antonius Carmine

Antonius blushes ever so slightly.

"I was merely worried", his usually flat tone tinged with annoyance, "You have gotten overconfident. If you continue like this its only a matter of time before something bad happens. I have constantly tried to make you see reason, because you are my friend and I want you to stay safe."

He crosses his arms. "Cosette is right. This entire thing is a fools errand we should never have gotten into. I say we get back and try to minimize the damage already caused."

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

"...Well, if anything goes wrong Antonius could just say I collapsed, and I ditch my sister and follow you, I suppose."

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Gretchen Dearheart

"Oh just. Gimme the matches, I'll do it myself, and you can head back to bed and possibly not get in trouble."

"This doesn't have to concern you."

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Antonius Carmine

Antonius shakes his head.

"No. You cannot have them. Sorry, but it is for your own good Gretchen."

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Gretchen Dearheart

Gretchen just gapes at him.

"You are... You are just the most..." Gretchen suppresses an enraged scream, stomping at the floor and chomping at the bit.

"You know what's best for me do you? You're not my dad Antonius!"

Gretchen does a bad thing, using Hands+Shop, with 6 Dice

6#1d10 = 2, 2, 2, 2, 4, 8 Yoooo das a QUADRUPLE success! I think that's the first one we got.

Without warning Gretchen lashed out and plucked Antonius' head off his shoulders. Holding it in her arms like a football and pushing away all attempts to retrieve it.

"How about I trade you the matches for your head Anty~, I think that'll be for your own good wouldn't it? Or perhaps we can run off into the darkness together! That'll be fun too wouldn't it?"

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 30, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Ahahaha :allears:

Antonius Carmine

The body jerks and flails for a second as the head is swept of its shoulders. The head, for its part lets out a little panicked yelp, and immediately starts struggling against its captor, muttering something about 'inappropriateness' and 'they are my matches' all the way.

Head, wriggle to freedom!
Head+Detachable Flying Head (6#1d10): 9 8 3 6 8 6 -> Double 8.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Cosette leans back into her doll's hair, resting her cheek on her palm as she grinned. "Okay, I'm really glad I came now."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

As the children fight and scramble against each other, a low rumbling echoes throughout the tunnels. The pebbles on the ground bounce up and down, producing a sound like the feet of a hundred gnomes frantically running away from some unseen menace. An earthquake, perhaps? It's impossible to tell: the sound seems to come from all directions at once.

Please roll for Head+Notice. Good results mean more information gleaned from these chaotic happenings.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Gretchen Dearheart

Gretchen froze, eyes locked on the distance darkness and every muscle tensed to run. Wordlessly in the sudden distant rumbling, she puts Antonius' head back on his 'neck'.

Head+Notice, 4 Dice. 4d10 = 3, 4, 5, 6

No successes

"What was that? What IS that?"

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 6, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Antonius Carmine

Antonius takes back his head with a slight grumble, but remained otherwise silent as he scanned the area for the potential source of these new happenings.

Let's take a look.
Head+Notice (7#1d10): 2 7 7 8 1 2 3 -> Double 7.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Cosette immediately dived back into her clothes. "Gah! This is what happens when you two muck about!"

Head+notice: 5#1d10 8 2 9 9 1

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Both Antonius and Cosette get the impression that the sound is coming from the still unexplored tunnel in front of them; the rest is just some bizarre echo. Cosette also notices that the ground in that tunnel... it's hard to tell in the relative darkness, but it seems like a bit of it just... moved?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Antonius Carmine

Antonius' eyes widen as he picks up movement. "I told you", he practically hisses through his teeth. "This is unsafe. Let's leave while we still have time!"

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Gretchen Dearheart

Self-preservation and massive inquisitiveness fought for surpremacy in Gretchen's head. Before Common Sense came around and butted their heads together.

"Yes... We probably should be leaving, now."

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 9, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

"I have two pairs of hands to vote with and we're both in concordance on getting right back upstairs." Cosette nodded vigorously.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Antonius Carmine

"Well, let's not dally then." Antonius' head flew back on its spot with a little harumph and the boy started to move towards the staircase. "I say we walk quietly at first. If it seems to be coming closer, we run."

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Gretchen Dearheart

Gretchen nods in quiet agreement and make her way towards the staircase to leave very quickly.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Cosette brings up the rear, peeking out from between her big sister's hair, sitting in the back of her collar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The children retreat unceremoniously from the catacombs, so quickly that the creepiness of the stairs does not even register. Their hearts beat in tune with the scramble of their feet as they climb them. By the time they reach the altar room, they are all out of breath (except for Gretchen, ever the athlete). As they catch their breaths, they notice that the light from the window has changed to a rich orange, hinting that more time than they expected has passed during their subterrenean caper...

Wait a second. The window! It is about five meters off the ground (Well, off the ground understood as the floor of the underground room you are standing in. It would be pretty much on ground level when seen from the outside). How to get out?

• Locked thread