Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Pile of Kittens posted:

This year, if I get the motivation up, I'm going to rehabilitate my cast iron pans. I've used them before and the idea of just wiping out my pan after cooking excites me in places that you are all uninterested in hearing about.

If hauling hardware isn't a problem I recommend rehabbing and bringing your cast iron. You may need a little water to wash, but not as much as other pots and pans. I just did a little top and bottom charcoal this week.

I rubbed a tri tip with salt, pepper and granulated garlic, then seared the poo poo out of both sides (wee bit of olive oil). Then I took in out and threw in a sliced onion and some red wine. Gave it a stir. Then I set the roast back on the onions and put the lid back on and added some coals. I let it cook for a half hour, then removed the roast to rest. I added more coals under the pot and put in green beans, lemon and seasoning. The veggies were nice and beefy tasting. Was good.

The second night I wanted to try chicken. I used this guy's method with a few changes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5LjJnazVuA

I rubbed it (inside and out) with salt, pepper, fresh chopped garlic olive oil, chopped rosemary and I stuck a couple carrots and rosemary sprigs inside. Then I seared the poo poo out of the top and bottom (breast and spine) of the chicken.

For veggies I used yukon golds, baby carrots, 1 diced onion and more minced rosemary. I squeezed one lemon over the sides, added some olive oil and a cup of water.

I closed the top, added the coals and let it cook for twenty minutes. At that point I tried to make a new batch of coals but the wind effed it up:argh:. After some delay I managed to replace the coals with fresh ones two more times and after an hour ended up overcooking it a bit (I was paranoid about undercooked chicken). No complaints though. The chicken tasted great and the potatoes were fantastic.

I should have photographed the closed oven with coals on top. It all tasted great. The wow factor in pulling a dirty lid off a hunk of iron to reveal a bubbling, fragrant feast is a lot of fun for everyone.

BTW, I cooked it breast down, I just flipped it for the photo. To be honest I don't have a lot of camp cooking experience, this trip I was trying to learn. It was fun. I learned the wind can seriously slow things down and as a result I got scurred and overcooked everything a little bit. The pan's seasoning held up well against the acids (onion, lemon, red wine).

For info on rehabing your pans check out the cast iron thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694651

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread