Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Dem voters, god drat you'll eat poo poo three meals a day. Congrats.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mollyhensleyclancy/what-happened-to-zuckerbergs-100-million?utm_term=.bjop60ZEPG#.tpQxEP3wAz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

remember when he broke with the rest of the party to defend bain capital
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co7GpMks8UA

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Hahaha I did not. But now I do.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't tell which Wire character Cory Booker is. I mean he's very much Carcetti but I am expecting him to say Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit soon.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

who's that one poster who would not shut up about how bad Booker was, i think mcmagic was his name

(anyway hope you like charter schools run by SV brats and Chabad-Lubavitchers directly influencing your foreign policy, because that's what you get with Booker.)

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

who's that one poster who would not shut up about how bad Booker was, i think mcmagic was his name

(anyway hope you like charter schools run by SV brats and Chabad-Lubavitchers directly influencing your foreign policy, because that's what you get with Booker.)

Cool Dems who want to murder Rahm for what he's doing to Chicago Public Schools will begin shedding tears about how inspirational Booker is. It's cool as heck.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
come on mods do it, add the l, i know you want to

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Al! posted:

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
That article is definitely a good example of Billionaire Philanthropism Gone Bad but this part

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mollyhensleyclancy/what-happened-to-zuckerbergs-100-million?utm_term=.bjop60ZEPG#.tpQxEP3wAz posted:

Tens of millions of dollars were spent far away from classrooms, on things like $1000-a-day consultants and $30 million in backpay for the teachers union.

How dare teachers are paid the money they were owed :argh:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah I love how "away from classroom" means paying teachers money they were owed. No wonder the education system is a nightmare, they're not even paying people for their work.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Has he run into any burning buildings lately? Has anyone made this joke? gently caress, politics can be boring.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Booker-Gulen 2024

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

waffle posted:

That article is definitely a good example of Billionaire Philanthropism Gone Bad but this part

How dare teachers are paid the money they were owed :argh:

i've got to get into this $1000 a day consulting racket

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

zeal posted:

i've got to get into this $1000 a day consulting racket

that's a pretty low number compared to what a lot of 'consultants' demand

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Fat Lowtax posted:

Booker-Gulen 2024

Destroy Americas enemies: Erdogan and teachers unions

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/steinhauserNH1/status/758761735507488768

Booker 2024 has officially started guys!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

at least he told the lubavitchers to piss off when it came to the iran deal vote, a rare stroke of conscience. couldn't say that about his idiot counterpart Menendez

i hope that guy gets put in the slammer soon so that Rush Holt (who should have taken Lautenberg's seat in the first place) takes his rightful spot in the Senate. what is taking them so long

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
someone called him the democratic rubio. t/f?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

point of return posted:

someone called him the democratic rubio. t/f?

Booker's personal finances are probably in acceptable shape.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx
He's a neoliberal (tell me this filter is still on) shill who is actually a tool for Wall Street. Which is why he graduated from Stanford Law and, instead of taking a job on Wall Street or for BigLaw, became a community organizer in Newark. It was part of the long con to trick the left, and centered around using Mayor of Newark as a launching pad to national relevance. This makes total sense. Especially when you consider that Booker is, thus far, the first Newark mayor in 60 years not to do time for Corruption while in office.

Prefacing this with: I think Bain is a parasitic cancer on America and billionaires and their Charterfetish need to get the gently caress out of education

Those eager to jump on the mayor of a city kept afloat by the Financial Sector speaking out for it struggle to find any senatorial behavior of his that would support the Shill narrative. Those irate about charter schools fail to point to any other actions available to him, given that the atrocious NPS is actually administrated by a state government that is.... hostile.... to Newark and the limited power Newark does have in education is in the hands of patronage - appointed accessories to his predecessor's felonious machine. Surely, the best option is not "wait for white, suburban liberals to fix education and let another few hundred thousand black students receive awful educations". Also, as mentioned, got the teacher's union back pay, like the piece of poo poo antiunionist he is.

And yes, as McMagic and Sharpe James (and so very many others, some of whom may write for Jacobin and similar rags) are eager to remind you, he's not really black. He's also probably gay, and has a lot of weird Jewey friends. Again, these are attacks coming from the left .

tl:dr:

Al! posted:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Booker supports school vouchers, which is so politically radioactive that a fair amount of republicans don't support it, at least not audibly. his policing overhaul got a C+ (or a C grade of some sort) from the aclu. and downtown newark just got its first grocery store last year. he's certainly great at promoting himself, though

Geoff Peterson posted:

And yes, as McMagic and Sharpe James (and so very many others, some of whom may write for Jacobin and similar rags) are eager to remind you, he's not really black. He's also probably gay, and has a lot of weird Jewey friends. Again, these are attacks coming from the left .
lol no they're not, or at at least not in the grossly simplified way that you put it. the "Jewey friends" are neocon types who use Israel as an issue to invade more countries in the middle east and attack iran (although credit where it's due, he did swallow his pride and vote for the Iran deal). he's definitely black but, as his policing policies show, he's not necessarily good for his fellow black man. and who the hell knows/cares about his sexuality?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

How is Newark dependent on the financial industry?

Unless you mean that the entire metro area is.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
was he the guy who had that big speech at the DNC?

i wasnt really impressed by him, but it's nice to know he's a poo poo box anyway

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

was he the guy who had that big speech at the DNC?

i wasnt really impressed by him, but it's nice to know he's a poo poo box anyway

Bernie delivered the keynote. Booker woo'd all the usual suspects

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
all people named cory are bad

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
They should call him Cory Hooker because he's a whore also it sounds like his real last name

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
http://politwoops.sunlightfoundation.com/tweet/758861460890017797

Whoopsy

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

a helpful bear posted:

all people named cory are bad
cory schneider plays in the same city that booker used to be mayor of, so this is an incorrect post

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Are Corey's okay because they're garbage too IMO.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Y-Hat posted:

cory schneider plays in the same city that booker used to be mayor of, so this is an incorrect post

i won't lie, Schneider is a good goalie, but the Devils also consider this man to be one of their top prospects: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=corqg31QcXw

(yes, this is now a hockey thread.)

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Atrocious Joe posted:

The whole downtown was being revitalized and bringing in companies to have offices there since Jersey City starts becoming even more expensive. Prudential has a big office there. There were plenty of deals to be made like sports complexes and other development. There are now condos for people in their 20s working in wall street can live and the train station will take you right to the city.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Geoff Peterson posted:

Uhh what? Can you give examples?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Corey publically grilled anti-marijuana shitbag Kevin Sabat so he's cool in my books.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

i won't lie, Schneider is a good goalie, but the Devils also consider this man to be one of their top prospects: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=corqg31QcXw

(yes, this is now a hockey thread.)
he has the potential to be a good playmaker, but that kind of diva bullshit is indefensible and he needs to cut that from his game very quickly before he ruins his reputation even more. also he needs to learn how to play defense

Jove
Jun 18, 2004

He doesn't come to us...we go to him...BOW DOWN, SLAVE.

Y-Hat posted:

Booker supports school vouchers, which is so politically radioactive that a fair amount of republicans don't support it, at least not audibly. his policing overhaul got a C+ (or a C grade of some sort) from the aclu. and downtown newark just got its first grocery store last year. he's certainly great at promoting himself, though

lol no they're not, or at at least not in the grossly simplified way that you put it. the "Jewey friends" are neocon types who use Israel as an issue to invade more countries in the middle east and attack iran (although credit where it's due, he did swallow his pride and vote for the Iran deal). he's definitely black but, as his policing policies show, he's not necessarily good for his fellow black man. and who the hell knows/cares about his sexuality?

Def. not gay; I know a chick who boned him for a hot sec circa. 2013-14.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx
Hey y'all. Work sucks and ate obscene amounts of my schedule. This wasn't shitposting and running, it was shitposting and drowning. Want cover off a few of the replies, but to preface it with a few things: I believe that the path to fixing public education is with major public investment, and necessitates a robust teacher's union. I'm not what one would refer to as an AIPAC ally. I think there are many great and valid reasons to dislike/distrust/be meh about Cory Booker, but there are also some that could use further elaboration and appear very different in context... and when I see some usual suspects in the media and on twitter turning their attention back to him, it typically means it's a nice time for nuance and history lessons. Also :words: (fakeedit: Holy poo poo more than I anticipated)

Atrocious Joe posted:

It's one of the largest (Top 5, I think?) Insurance centers in the nation, contains the headquarters of Prudential Financial and, at the time of MeetThePressghazi had seen more than a billion in investments from private equity, without factoring in charitable donations that I've not found great sources on. We can quibble on "dependent" and it was likely a poor word choice (I can't slice the historical data from BLS at the moment)... is"The financial industry was/is a major economic contributor to Newark, in addition to the metro area's reliance on the sector" acceptable?

Y-Hat posted:

Only ACLU grade I found was 3 years into his administration (https://www.aclu-nj.org/files/9513/1540/4573/071209ReportCard.pdf), a D, and I didn't find much context for how that compared to previous administrations or other large metro areas. Specifically, it highlighted cases they were involved in and individual cases of (inexcusable) police misconduct. In that report, they also praised steps taken by the Booker administration, and have since been very complimentary of other actions (requiring transparency and instituting the sort of full statistical reporting of Police Stops that activists have been calling for). The ACLU is a great organization, that does considerable good work. I tend to be suspicious of any "report card" style press release from any advocacy organization, as their missions inherently bias them towards grades that focus public pressure and draw donations. Booker received a D... what would have resulted in an F for his administration's policing policies? A C? A B? The legislative scorecard releases from groups are somewhat better, in that they track votes on scored bills-but even with those, you have to dig carefully into the methodology for deciding what is scored and what isn't.

Regarding education-I'll cover it more below, but what solution do you think that Cory could have implemented in his time as mayor, given his lack of control over NPS? Does the potential for future harm to Teachers Unions outweigh the ongoing harm that was being done to Newark students thanks to a historically underacheiving program? Was there any hope for improvement when the schools were administered by the Governor who'd just been beaten by 82% in Newark?

Helsing posted:

Uhh what? Can you give examples?

Cory Booker? Don't you know? He's a republican who takes money from the KKK. He's collaborating with the Jews to take over Newark. He's also a human being white boy. These are all from his opponent in the 2002 Newark Mayoral Election. Who won. It was Sharpe's 4th and final term. These attacks were unquestionably from his left. His connection to the Lubavitch crowd and a couple of high profile leaders (esp Boteach) within it continues to be a talking point by people who I assume are as ignorant of the attacks' gratuitously racist (he's Jewish, ergo not Black) and anti-semitic (duh) history as they are of Booker's track record. Such as:

Y-Hat posted:

Beinart launched the first truly national round of Booker's Jewish Friendships in 2013 with a story centered on he and Boteach and their "oddball" friendship. It's an endlessly concerntrolling piece, by necessity, as Booker had zero record* on the I/P issue... just oddball friendships with Jewish Rabbis that, Beinart notes, avoided the topic of Israeli politics. It's also become the foundation for the more recent incarnations of Booker's owned by AIPAC theory, picked up by Jilani and others.

I stand by my dismissive take on the entire theory and my phrasing. There's literally nothing there except that he receives money from Jewish lobbying organizations and he has Jewish friends who have "weird" beliefs. It's gross and it's not the first time these connections have been used, absent any backing in his record, to suggest that he's not really [Black/Progressive/Liberal/Interested in Human Rights]. Or do you believe there's something wrong or suspicious about having friends with different beliefs?

* Beinart's wrong there as well. In 2012, Booker chaired the Platform committee that removed mention of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and excised a condemnation of Hamas... Jilani somehow forgets to mention it in his later article as well. I suspect neither would be the case had the removed lines been freshly added by Booker's committee.

Ending on Vouchers/Charters: Republicans have full control of the statehouse in 23 states, and have either the governorship or at least one chamber in 20 more, along with their bicameral control federally. Until Democrats eat into or reverse those numbers, we're not going to see the massive reinvestment in and re-priortization of education that we need in this country to start narrowing the achievement gap and breaking down one of the most pervasive factors in structural inequality. Broadly, what is the True Progressive Solution to urban education when you're not receiving more public resources? More to the point of the thread-what are you supposed to do as the mayor of a city whose public schools are under the control of a governor who lost your city by a wider margin than either Romney or Obama lost any state in the union? Silicon Valley Charter Backers need to gently caress right out of education, but how do you give the students in your city the best chance?

edit:

Jove posted:

Def. not gay; I know a chick who boned him for a hot sec circa. 2013-14.

Out of curiosity and if you don't mind, is she white? The newest whisper campaign about his silence, as homosexuality becomes more accepted, is that he's into white girls and is worried about it costing him support in the community. Of course, none of it matters in the slightest so long as he hasn't flown with Epstein and isn't a furry.

Geoff Peterson has issued a correction as of 05:23 on Aug 5, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

you'd think that "Booker is owned by AIPAC" would have far less momentum given that he voted for the Iran deal, but some patently stupid and anti-semitic narratives never die

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 16:15 on Aug 5, 2016

Jove
Jun 18, 2004

He doesn't come to us...we go to him...BOW DOWN, SLAVE.
She's not white. Can't say too much without being a douche.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

if we could go ahead and keep this to "bad things cory booker believes" rather than "Who has the man hosed." that'd be nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Homework Explainer posted:

if we could go ahead and keep this to "bad things cory booker believes" rather than "Who has the man hosed." that'd be nice

what about hockey chat, is that permissible?

(because the Devs fleeced the hell out of Edmonton with the Hall trade, well that and it gave us one more reason to laugh at the Oilers)

• Locked thread