Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Pleads posted:

(and of course retrieve the puck and keep skating)

Excellent, my favorite feature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Oh, forgot to include that the game will arbitrarily (and noticeably) slow down your player while you are skating on a breakaway or attempting to skate away from players chasing you.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

If the puck is nice and live that is good news. I wan't it as live as possible.

I really wan't this game to be good, but I'm conditioned by years of ea's bullshit, so I'm already forming opinions without actually playing the game. But that's on them.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Ok, game's good again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRg9Vm-8tVw

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Hockles posted:

Poke checking is bad.
Body checking doesn't work right.
Passing is worse.
AI is super-overpowered.
Puck pick-ups aren't changed.

I'm sure others can add to this.

Pleads posted:

We ran an all-Enforcer team a few nights ago.

I found the problem!!

In all seriousness though I'm quite enjoying the beta so far. It has its teething problems as a game in beta would (broken club matchmaking for instance), but I really like the gameplay so far. The new goalie handling is almost worth the price of admission alone. I'm also really digging the new UI and drop in matchmaking system.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I got extra beta codes for those who want them. PS4 Only.

code:
A5HM-L6NN-TBNL

33G8-R8NF-DE89

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Ugh there's no way those won't be claimed by the time I get home :(

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Ugh there's no way those won't be claimed by the time I get home :(

https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/liquid/cam/account/giftcard/redeem-gift-card-flow.action

May or may not work

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

yellowcar posted:

33G8-R8NF-DE89

I redeemed this one via the online redeeming action and I thank you very much kind good hockey sir :tipshat:

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

LegioPraetoria posted:

You people are nuts. Game is a not-insignificant improvement. I have no idea what game you guys are playing that the puck pickups aren't way better, poke checks are poor, bodychecking isn't functional, I have experienced absolutely nothing like that. Passing is merely more difficult, not worse. In fact it seems to 'split the difference' with the pass assist a lot less frequently which I've been whining about for years. The puck is nice and live, but probably TOO live, and they'll balance that out over time (as they always do, when the legions of crybabies who can't automatically dangle through every forest raise a stink and EA re-applies the glue to everyone's stick blades). Not sure about the AI stuff as I only do EASHL and HUT. Only complaint I have there is that EASHL computer D are slightly TOO good at angling to the puck on dump-ins. The occasional miscalculation or slow pivot would be nice.

But then, I'm just one guy.

They continue to make the game completely not fun for defensemen in order to placate the crybaby danglers you refer to.

I play defenseman exclusively.

I traded in NHL 16 a month in because of it, and I won't buy 17 because it's getting worse, not better.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

yellowcar posted:

code:
A5HM-L6NN-TBNL

Worked for me, you are a honorable and beautiful person

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I can confirm that there is 100% more EDM and dubstep in this game.

Making your own team and uniforms is kinda fun. Wish they'd let you have more templates in the beta but oh well.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

LegioPraetoria posted:

I have no idea what game you guys are playing that the puck pickups aren't way better

https://gfycat.com/ShowyPoliticalAvians

LegioPraetoria
Jul 20, 2006

Strikeout!

I will take a weird situation like that once a game over the game forcing my skating line to change completely when I get near the puck every single day.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Game has too much long animations that can't be canceled, but the puck pick up animations where the player takes couple strides that you can't control after getting the puck are the worst. I feel about 80% of time like I'm controlling my player.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Spinning circles around a puck you can't pick up happens frequently (even in 16) and "not changing line for the pickup" usually means skating passed it without reaching at all.

Here's my review of playing goal in the beta:

*sound of goal horn signifying OT loss*

(overall the controls are a lot better although your inputs mapping to what your goalie actually does when the puck is in close is still fucky)

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Hockles posted:

Don't buy this terrible game.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S8WInRxO7I

But good news you can play this v. bad beta until Monday

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
I feel like there's a message to be had somewhere, what am I looking for in this video?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
...the D let a breakaway happen. :shrug:

watch the red icon

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 5, 2016

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Hey is there an EASHL club up for goons for this? The beta has been extended and I would like to get annoyed at EA play with PS4 folk.

PSN: TheDukeChin

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
^We have a beta group up for PS4, Killdozers (SAS). While we are almost always full, it's the beta so we don't really care. Bonus points if you can play Defense or Goalie.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Yeah I'll do D I don't mind

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Bad pinch by teal, that. ;)

I'll put an invite through to Killdozers as well if you don't mind?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

If any of you PS4 guys want to play, I started a club for all the overflow from the main squad. My PSN is IceFortJohnnyAce, if you send me a friend request, you can find the team under friend's teams in the team search and I can add you. I should be on all night.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Also this game actually owns because if you drop from EASHL, it replaces your player with a CPU player and I just played a game against a goalie whose name was T. Brickwall, and when he dropped, the game put in a CPU goalie named J. Sieve

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Also this game actually owns because if you drop from EASHL, it replaces your player with a CPU player and I just played a game against a goalie whose name was T. Brickwall, and when he dropped, the game put in a CPU goalie named J. Sieve

K. Weekes is the Away goalie in that scenario. Sieve is the home.

LegioPraetoria
Jul 20, 2006

Strikeout!

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Are you serious?

That's loving incredible

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

If any of you new guys that just friended me are still playing 16 and looking for a team, I have a D1 squad that's been inactive since my IRL friends stopped playing and I'd be happy to add you to the team if it means I can get some regulars to play with again

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014
As someone who never shows up to videogame threads for videogames I'm not interested in.... Here I am.

gently caress you, Rammer. I'm trading NHL16 in for FIFA17 and will be spending time with my loved ones instead of EASHL.

I am mad.

I want a hockey game I don't shut off midway through the 1st period.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
cancel the game!!@

LegioPraetoria
Jul 20, 2006

Strikeout!
Cancel all previous versions of nhl as well. Retroactively. And burn down rammer's house.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
So, as someone who has been waiting to hop into a good NHL game for a few years now, I guess this isn't the best time?

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

No one knows when you are able to play "good" hockey game, doesn't look like any time soon. This year is as good as any in that sense. Plus you already avoided the worst possible hockey game NHL 15.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

If you buy an EA NHL game, you're going to get the best NHL game that year. You're also going to get the worst NHL game that year. So it really doesn't matter.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
Fair enough. The last one I played was NHL 14 and I remember that NHL 15 was barren in terms of features. Seems like that's behind them now with the new consoles. Wish I had played the beta, ah well.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

17 definitely has more and better modes than 16 which had more and better modes than 15. Especially for single/offline play.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
I wonder if 18 will have more and better modes?

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

It's probably another reset year like 15 was, after the Neo and the new Xbox have arrived. They are going to scratch all the modes and have only the bare bones engine that is somehow worse than it was in previous generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014

Pandanaut posted:

Fair enough. The last one I played was NHL 14 and I remember that NHL 15 was barren in terms of features. Seems like that's behind them now with the new consoles. Wish I had played the beta, ah well.

I'd get it if all I had was 14 and actually wanted to play an NHL game again.

Only reason I'm passing is because 16 collected dust all year and I doubt 17 will be any different.

• Locked thread