Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Kimsemus posted:

Hello!

If you're confused about what Albion Online is, please refer to this handy TL;DR summary:

:frogsiren:Albion Online is a 5v5 MOBA timegated behind an almost laughably long grind that does everything possible to make you work as much as possible for as little fun as possible.:frogsiren:

Now the less TL;DR:

Albion Online was fun about a year ago, in the alpha. But a cancer riddled community and completely out of touch developers at :si: have ensured that any potential for fun in this game has been completely destroyed.

Sandbox Interactive developers, quite literally, have no idea how the mechanics in their game work, but don't tell them that, because if you post about it on their forums with evidence, they'll just ban you. Here is a good example of a lead developer having literally no conceptualization of how core mechanics work within his own game:

After friend goon Kimsemus pointed out he was wrong, friend goon Kimsemus was permabanned from posting on their forums and Korn followed up with this gem:

Whoops! :iiam:

Be careful about interacting with that community though, when you call out their favorite shills for their antics, you'll get in trouble!

I guess the furry forum moderator really didn't like me coming at his fanboy like I did:

And absolutely don't ever question the devs when it comes to design decisions in the designated forums for doing just that:

As for the game itself?

It's not an MMO in any way, shape or form. It qualifies as one only in the sense that you will be spending hours hitting X resource in the same area as everyone else.

Excited for those big PVP battles? :wooper:

Good news! They don't exist. The game has baked in mechanics that will ENSURE a solo or small handful of players can quite easily wipe your entire zerg out with virtually no effort whatsoever. The game actually PUNISHES you for having more than an arbitrary handful of friends in the same area through various mechanics.

Excited about defending guild territory? :wooper:

Too loving bad, you pleb! Because of the way territory defense works, guilds will only EVER send their a-team of their 5 best players into the pre-determined MOBA battles, as a loss means you could lose hundreds of hours of guild work! If you're lucky, you'll be slaving away funneling resources to players better than you. Quit your dreams of greatness now friends, GvG is only for the most hardcore and dedicated of poopsockers.

But there are no character classes! You are what you wear! :wooper:

Yeah, okay. If the grind for using ONE weapon and ONE type of armor doesn't make you want to kill yourself, it's a minor miracle. You're going to be spending a massive amount of time to cross train, and you're cockblocked by any mistake you make early because of Learning Points, the arbitrary timegate system :si: has implemented to extend the grind even further. :downsgun:

B-b-b-b-b but mah territory control! :wooper:

Yeah, unless you're a part of one of the major poopsock powerblocs (goons aren't FYI), you won't be owning poo poo. Oh, but don't forget, the best resources in the game are ONLY in the zones where you can own that said territory. Enjoy getting kited and bowed to death by one of the blatantly overpowered weapon combos in the game while desperately trying to gather that half stack of ore you need, which you'll just drop and lose anyway on death.

But losing gear on death is awesome and gives me a reason to PVP! :wooper:

Sure is! Except in a game where death could mean the loss of a significant amount of time and reasons, there also isn't any kind of anti-cheat whatsoever, which results in a coming together of known cheaters from other games coming to AO and just absolutely exploiting on and wrecking you :v:

Seriously, if you want open world sandbox PVP, go play EVE. This game is stacked poo poo, hamfisted by an amateur developer with no consistent design or mechanical vision whatsoever. In a sea of bad MMOs, Albion Online is a bad MMO even by that comparison. There is nothing fun or good or redeeming about this game whatsoever. Every alpha and every beta, the goon guild reforms, then drops off a cliff within a week because there is simply no reason to play this game. Do not under any circumstances waste your money. Learn from my mistakes, I was already dumb and wasted my money on this game for you.

Does this all still apply? I need a new goon MMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
This game seems completely unappealing in every way.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

Zephyrine posted:

Does this all still apply? I need a new goon MMO.

the majority of it does not apply. kimsemus has won the title of bitterest goon; albion online division

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Yea most of what Kimsemus wrote is out of date now.

Not to say that the game doesn't have its flaws, but it's seen some decent improvements since he's played.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Kimsemus is a notable caller of harsh truths.

I'm all for horde pvp though but not if it's balanced to be "fair" to numerically inferior groups. Is it true that pvp comes down to some elite pvp 5 man champion team while everyone else just farms materials?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Focus fire damage reduction still being a thing is loving dumb.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Zephyrine posted:

Kimsemus is a notable caller of harsh truths.

I'm all for horde pvp though but not if it's balanced to be "fair" to numerically inferior groups. Is it true that pvp comes down to some elite pvp 5 man champion team while everyone else just farms materials?

In territory capturing GvG, yes. The territory battles boil down to 5v5 "arena" type fights. Otherwise, no. Ganksquads in the open world are the superior force.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Ruggan posted:

In territory capturing GvG, yes. The territory battles boil down to 5v5 "arena" type fights. Otherwise, no. Ganksquads in the open world are the superior force.

I like the idea of gank squads. Sell me on this terrible game.

Everything is going to be reset right and the full game won't be out for a year or so?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Zephyrine posted:

I like the idea of gank squads. Sell me on this terrible game.

Everything is going to be reset right and the full game won't be out for a year or so?

Gank squads are fun when you're on the right side of them.

Not gonna try to sell you. If it looks interesting to you, I think it's worth the $30 investment. I would buy in soon though as the most fun time to play is near the beginning of a beta.

The game is due to reset for final release in supposedly 3-4 months, although nobody really knows.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Okay you sold me. Downloading now.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I was wondering why a game with such limited character design made me spend so much time on picking underwear and underwear colour. Now I see why :v:

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
I encountered this chap out in the snowy lands of Albion, putting in some work.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Out of curiosity I looked up what kind of difference premium membership makes over a F2P account and holy lmao are you kidding me?

They may as well just hang a sign on the door that says "gently caress off non-subscribers!!!"

forge
Feb 26, 2006
You mean like eve.. ok right.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

Out of curiosity I looked up what kind of difference premium membership makes over a F2P account and holy lmao are you kidding me?

They may as well just hang a sign on the door that says "gently caress off non-subscribers!!!"

You can buy premium with in game currency.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

Chomp8645 posted:

yeah there's no point at all playing this game without premium

but if you play regularly it's extremely managable to maintain premium status with ingame currency

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
This roam is brought to you by the classic ?T3_FRAGMENT_RED_F1?

Edit: Fine cloth harvesting.

Edit 2: Death and taxes.

CubicalSucrose fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 6, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Suxpool posted:

yeah there's no point at all playing this game without premium

but if you play regularly it's extremely managable to maintain premium status with ingame currency

I'm a little skeptical of this because what is their business model if it's not difficult for the whole playerbase to just silver buy their premium time?

e: oh wait they are just going to ramp up the cost once the population boom slows aren't they?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm a little skeptical of this because what is their business model if it's not difficult for the whole playerbase to just silver buy their premium time?

e: oh wait they are just going to ramp up the cost once the population boom slows aren't they?

The silver cost appears to be 100% player market-based, though injecting new gold into the system is done at a fixed price. This is not unlike EVE's PLEX system.

Edit: The game has a bunch of silver sinks which ramp up as you get into higher level gear. The act of creation costs silver. Repairing your stuff costs silver. Replacing your stuff costs a whole lot of silver, since there's transportation and player time to take into account in addition to the raw creation cost. Sandbox is likely counting on players needing an injection of silver right then and right now, plus the clear benefits of premium time. While it is possible that Sandbox may set an artificial price floor, I expect that the gold selling market will stabilize around a week into the launch.

The real test will be if people keep buying gold to keep the market going after the low-tier founders packs run out of premium time.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 6, 2016

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I got to the t3 stuff, but i am having trouble motivating myself to slowly walk through 20 identical zones or whatever to get the to city.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
starter zones (queen's highland or steppe muster and king's highland or steppe muster) let you travel between all four of them for free with all your materials. go to the dock icon in town and talk to the man. the other cities let you teleport completely naked between them in a similar fashion.

you have to move stuff around on foot, horse or ox. to move stuff to icemelt its king's highland muster -> about 3 green zones -> honister pass -> about 4 green/yellow zones -> icemelt bridge. and yes, it sucks poo poo to do it on foot. i recommend talking with guildmates and going to dungeons for silver runs. use that silver to buy a horse in honister pass or kingsmarket. horses are fast and increase your carry weight by something like 5x

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

Chomp8645 posted:

it's easy to maintain premium with ingame currency if you play albion regularly

much like i believe it was easy to maintain an EVE subscription with ingame currency

the vast majority of people still chose to pay 15$ a month to play EVE

much like i believe the majority of people will choose to buy gold from SI monthly to maintain their premium rather than spend their hard-earned ingame silver

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The ganking tonight, while fun, was a disaster as Blazing led us to a dead end and we got separated from Forge for a whole FIFTEEN SECONDS. :argh:

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 6, 2016

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

:eng99:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It was still good fun. The grinding to get T4 gear is pretty awful and if you're newly joining just find a buddy to help make it less poo poo because god drat.

And some people think it should be more grindy :negative:

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Unfunny Poster posted:

It was still good fun. The grinding to get T4 gear is pretty awful and if you're newly joining just find a buddy to help make it less poo poo because god drat.

And some people think it should be more grindy :negative:

It used to be more grindy. it's gotten way better.

We were musing in discord tonight. The two things we landed on that the game still desperately needs:
1. More things that draw players to a specific point for conflict. Ganks and PvP are fun, but roaming around the map and not finding anyone for 30 minutes is not. The relic chests are a good start, but the game needs more stuff like this. Doesn't need to be for the sake of PvP.
2. More "content" and less homogenous terrain. The map designs feel rushed and uninspired. The game world is made up of a grid of similar zones with no real flavor or meaning to them. I don't think people care that they have to travel long distances, but they do care that the journey is bland and boring.

Otherwise, the game is in a much better place than it used to be. Most of the major systems only need tweaking, not a redesign. Hopefully they stop doing those and just improve what they have.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Where are all the T2 trees?

In the first area I had

T1 stone
T1 skin
T1 wood

The second zone has

T2 stone
T2 skin
T2 metal
T2 cotton(?)
T1 wood

I think I also found some T3 stuff. It wants me to use a higher level pickaxe/scythe anyway

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Zephyrine posted:

Where are all the T2 trees?

In the first area I had

T1 stone
T1 skin
T1 wood

The second zone has

T2 stone
T2 skin
T2 metal
T2 cotton(?)
T1 wood

I think I also found some T3 stuff. It wants me to use a higher level pickaxe/scythe anyway

Swamp only.

Desert: leather, ore, cotton
Snow: ore, stone, cotton
Swamp: wood, leather, cotton

Press K to look at the world map. Click on any zone. In the bottom section, it'll tell you what tiers of what resources can be found there.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
hey on day one i killed some guys and went to -700 reputation*, so in like three more days i can finally start playing

1001 Arabian dicks fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 6, 2016

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Ruggan posted:

Swamp only.

Desert: leather, ore, cotton
Snow: ore, stone, cotton
Swamp: wood, leather, cotton

Press K to look at the world map. Click on any zone. In the bottom section, it'll tell you what tiers of what resources can be found there.

Found a swamp though it was T3 and up haha

Edit: I see a T2 swamp on the map. 5 zones away.

hey on day one i killed some guys and went to -700 reputation*, so in like three more days i can finally start playing

Sounds like ganking to me.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

the rep system is brutal in the kings/queens islands. this is why we are killing reds only in those lands and going to black zones for unrestricted pvp

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy
This game is very fun. The simplicity of it is what makes it fun. I've also encountered some of the coolest and weirdest dudes I've ever met in online games on here so far. At least it has interaction unlike a handful of other mmo's.

Ota_Himuro
Jan 13, 2008

A wild SANDBREAD appears!
Well it seems the devs reached a whole new level of incompetency as the android client cannot even get into the game in a goddamned SHIELD.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Holy poo poo. They did it. They made the power increase in per tier of item linear instead of compounding.

And the proportional tier gaps are even further compressed by basically getting 2-3 tiers of gear for free just by skilling up.

It only took forever.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Game is cautiously good now...? There are still a few problems which need to be worked out.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The Rep system is loving stupid.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The real ballbuster at the moment is grinding and like we were saying last night the real test is how viable small groups can survive and do meaningful stuff in the later game. Last beta I played basically made it seem impossible which iirc caused Girl Scout Cookies to collapse entirely.

Edit - Oh and the issue with being in what I think was the black zone without a home set seemed to be an oversight by SI that can be relatively fixed easily. Just make a ferry to the starter zones (one way only) or the option to respawn there.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 6, 2016

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
game good or game bad

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

undecided, ask me again in a week or two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eonwe posted:

game good or game bad

Tentatively good but that could just be the optimism speaking.

• Locked thread