Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine

Serotonin posted:

My time in ICU also led to pancreatitis. Not pleasant but luckily no lasting effects. Downside was when they did a endoscopy to check me out , due to having had so many opiates and anaesthetics during my period of critical illness, none of the sedatives used during the procedure worked. Fun times.

they did a loving picc line from my elbow to my heart and i got a real bad case of pneumonia for two weeks. my whole summer was hosed and i was a very angry 8 year old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I was chilling in my room and i fell asleep, and when I came to I was in an ambulance and they were like "You had a seizure bro." It was super lovely and my back is still all done hosed up at 26

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

The Bananana posted:

So, this morning, at about 4 a.m., after trying to convince my self since midnight, that I was just dealing with some mild food poisoning, I drove myself to an emergency clinic, wherein I was told I had appendicitis.

2 hours later I was in a real hospital, getting prepped for surgery.

Peace out, bitch-rear end appendix.

I'm recovering now, in an expensive hospital room, and I can't wait to find out how much I owe, even with decent insurance.

Anyways, since I'm bored, I figured I'd ask all of y'all about times you've been to the hospital for more than just a check up or whatevs.

make sure to ask your surgeon just how many people die from a pulmonary embolism after surgery

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

extra stout posted:

make sure to ask your surgeon just how many people die from a pulmonary embolism after surgery

Oh my God how long afyer surgery can this hit? gently caress surgery, when they were flushing my IV with saline, I saw a lot of air bubbles going in. I asked the nurse about an air embolism, and her answer was that I'd be fine, it takes a lot more air than that to kill you...

:whitewater:

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Wamdoodle posted:

drat, dawg. Did you get to keep your removed colon?

No, though I did ask if I could keep a segment of it in a jar like from Rocco's Modern Life.

Serotonin posted:

Here's a :nms: pic of my arm when they removed the dressings for the first time for me to see.

Holy poo poo, that picture is brutal as gently caress. Glad you made it out okay from that traumatizing situation. I have a friend who wound up having insane sepsis spreading through his neck from an infection in his gums that came about from a week of sitting around in the hospital.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Serotonin posted:

Last May I had a sore throat. What in the end turned out to be just a strep throat. I developed flu like symptoms over the course of a couple of days. On day 3 my right arm started to become painful and then swell. I saw an emergency GP who wasn't sure what was going on but thought I needn't urgent hospital assessment. 12 days later I woke up in ICU. I had developed sepsis from the strep throat, gone into full blown septic shock, and developed compartment syndrome in my arm requiring fasciotomies. My arm was hosed, I'd lost 35lb in those 12 days and I spent a month in hospital then another 6 months in physio, all day every day learning how to use my arm and hand again.
It's still a bit hosed but apparently I was lucky not to die or lose my arm at the shoulder so I can't complain too much

Here's a :nms: pic of my arm when they removed the dressings for the first time for me to see.

ewwwww

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Serotonin posted:

You would have gotten away with "bitten by shark while saving a mermaid".

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Yolomon Wayne posted:

You would have gotten away with "bitten by shark while saving a mermaid".

Arguably what happened to me might actually be more rare than that. Less exciting mind you.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Serotonin posted:

Arguably what happened to me might actually be more rare than that. Less exciting mind you.

If you ever try to pick up someone and they ask about the scars, definitly go with "shark".
Maybe "lion".

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
I had to have an emergency c-section, kid tried to breathe way too early

It was weird

I also didn't fart for three days because I was convinced do I g so would cause my staples to tear through muscle like butter

Three days is a really long time to not fart

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

The Bananana posted:

Trip report: being unconscious kinda owns. It's like time travel. You close your eyes, and when you open them up its been like an hour or two.

Hot take: maybe death is just like this?

Everything I've heard and read makes me think that this is the case. Your brain just stops registering anything, so you cease to exist, which is actually kind of comforting in a way. It's essentially Nirvana, so in Buddhist terms, everything's groovy and there's nothing to fear about death. It's still sad to not be able to live anymore, but there's not going to be this "surprise! welcome to eternal pain!" bullshit waiting for us.

It's neat to think that we're actually able to experience a death-like state but still come back from it to live more. It's not this unknowable thing that can never be witnessed until you die for good. For example, when you pass out and then regain consciousness.

Not quite the same, but I used to get head rushes a lot as a kid from low blood pressure, and it is so weird to have your senses still work and send information to your brain, but be unable to process them because your brain doesn't have enough oxygen to function. For those few moments, you are a truly passive observer of the world and all your inner thoughts, memories, impulses and instincts disappear, until they come rushing back with the blood to your brain. Whenever I get them I have about 1 or 2 seconds to quickly grab hold of a table or sit down, because once they hit, my muscles stop working and I will fall over like a sack o taters. There were a few instances where it was severe enough for me to lose my senses as well, and black out for about 5-10 seconds.

Chubbs fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 28, 2016

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Chubbs posted:

It's neat to think that we're actually able to experience a death-like state but still come back from it to live more. It's not this unknowable thing that can never be witnessed until you die for good. For example, when you pass out and then regain consciousness.

Every time you go to sleep. Just like that. You don't exist for 8 hours and then you do.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Serotonin posted:

Last May I had a sore throat. What in the end turned out to be just a strep throat. I developed flu like symptoms over the course of a couple of days. On day 3 my right arm started to become painful and then swell. I saw an emergency GP who wasn't sure what was going on but thought I needn't urgent hospital assessment. 12 days later I woke up in ICU. I had developed sepsis from the strep throat, gone into full blown septic shock, and developed compartment syndrome in my arm requiring fasciotomies. My arm was hosed, I'd lost 35lb in those 12 days and I spent a month in hospital then another 6 months in physio, all day every day learning how to use my arm and hand again.
It's still a bit hosed but apparently I was lucky not to die or lose my arm at the shoulder so I can't complain too much

there is no loving way this didnt involve iv drug use

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Fonzarelli posted:

I was chilling in my room and i fell asleep, and when I came to I was in an ambulance and they were like "You had a seizure bro."

yep i know that feeling

nightonthesun
Apr 23, 2002
I spent 6 weeks in the hospital from septic shock, ARDS, and the accompanying multiple organ failure. 2 weeks were on a ventilator. My initial chest x-Ray was referred to as a "complete white-out". The nurses and RTs all seemed very relieved that I pulled through - telling me how lucky I was. The best part was getting to drink liquids again.

I got to go back a month later because the doctor at inpatient physical rehab apparently didn't read my daily lab results and discharged me with severely low magnesium. As it got progressively lower at home, I started slurring badly one day and that night had to call 911 because the resulting tetany made me and my girlfriend think I was having a stroke. I couldn't talk and all my muscles kept contracting and releasing every few minutes. Scary business. The attending ER doc said I had a magnesium level incompatible with life. :ohdear: I only spent 2 days in CVICU for that, though.

Silver lining: I don't smoke and never will again.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

subhuman filth posted:

It didn't. Fit and healthy barely drink, work out, no smoking or drugs. Just one of those billion to one things

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
so what does it feel like to be intubated (both the insertion sequence prior to being rendered unconsious with drugs and being conscious with a tube in ur trachea)...im gonna go out on limb and guess that it loving sucks

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Mariana Horchata posted:

what does it feel like to be intubated (both insertion and being conscious with a tube in ur trachea)...im gonna go out on limb and guess that it loving sucks

I was only aware I was intubation after the fact because I was unconscious for several days. It's not a pleasant feeling to breathe through a tube but it wasn't as awful as it sounds. The worst part was how dry my mouth felt and not being able to talk was very frustrating. It was odd when it was removed and I had to breathe on my own again. I had developed a chest infection while,incubated and it had cleared by the time I was extubated but I was hacking up lots of lung batter. Although I was so weak and lost so much muscle tone due to the infection that coughing was very hard to Do.
What felt worse was the nasogastric tube I had in to feed me. Very uncomfortable.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Mariana Horchata posted:

so what does it feel like to be intubated (both the insertion sequence prior to being rendered unconsious with drugs and being conscious with a tube in ur trachea)...im gonna go out on limb and guess that it loving sucks

My throat still loving hurts 2 days later.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The Bananana posted:

My throat still loving hurts 2 days later.

I had an emergency intubation apparently and they must have scratched something because I pretty much lost my voice for 4 months. I was left with a quiet husky squeak of a voice. It's all fine now though.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
thanks for reminding me to get a DNR order

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Mariana Horchata posted:

you're pretty much always either dissociated or completely out when intubation happens. the tubing process involves some very uncomfortable jaw handling and you'd reflexively fight it, choke, and gag if you were all there.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

subhuman filth posted:

you're pretty much always either dissociated or completely out when intubation happens. the tubing process involves some very uncomfortable jaw handling and you'd reflexively fight it, choke, and gag if you were all there.

yeah, they did it after they put me under

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

Nostratic posted:

Every time you go to sleep. Just like that. You don't exist for 8 hours and then you do.

The thing about sleep though is that you still have brain function and brain activity. Your conscious brain shuts off but the rest of your brain is still on, and it takes over and starts to heal and clean itself through chemical processes. In dreams, your brain can still release dopamine and other hormones, so you can feel emotions and sometimes create memories that will last after you wake up.

Passing out is more akin to switching your brain off completely, because it's literally the result of oxygen deprivation from lack of blood flow, so your neurons stop firing and you temporarily lose control over your nervous system.

Sleeping is still really cool, too, though, don't get me wrong.

Chubbs fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 28, 2016

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Mariana Horchata posted:

I was out the whole time. I was still *really* out of it when I came out of surgery and told the nurse "it feels like I got deep throated by a robot" which SHE thought was funny, but mortified my girlfriend lol

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
I watched the nurses work a code for about a half hour last night.
Then I had to leave the unit to keep from laughing my rear end off because they suddenly figured out there was a DNR.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

HeldenSterbenNicht posted:

I watched the nurses work a code for about a half hour last night.
Then I had to leave the unit to keep from laughing my rear end off because they suddenly figured out there was a DNR.

hilarious

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mariana Horchata posted:

I was unconscious when I was intubated, but was very aware of it when I finally woke up in the hospital. The first thing I did was to start vehemently gesturing to get the drat thing out - for me it was a very uncomfortable sensation like I was continually choking except I knew I could breathe. I think I was hoarse for a few days, but the first week of my recovery I was pretty in and out and don't remember it well.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Five times in my adult life. Two from kidney stones, three from diverticulitis. Despite a colonoscopy that found nothing wrong with my inner butt mechanisms, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have more episodes of diverticulitis. Whenever triage asks me to rate my pain on a scale of 1-10, diverbluhbluh usually rates a 9 when its spiking. Kidney stones are the absolute worst though. It's like someone is pressing a tack inside of you right on your dick and spots around it as hard as they possibly can. That pain is a 10, easy. They usually say that giving birth rates a 10 on the pain scale, but since I can't experience that for myself, I asked a woman who has both given birth and had kidney stones and she said kidney stones are way worse than pooping out a baby.

It's all good though. It's the most miserable hour of your life, then they inject you with dilaudid (sp) and the pain just melts away and for those few brief periods you're the most tranquil being at peace on this gay Earth.

e: Oh and make sure that you're constantly given laxatives if you're taking painkillers every time you're allowed to, otherwise you'll have to stay an extra day in the hospital simply because you're hyper-constipated.

Node fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 28, 2016

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Idk... It kinda is, but certainly in only a macabre sense

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Node posted:

Five times in my adult life. Two from kidney stones, three from diverticulitis. Despite a colonoscopy that found nothing wrong with my inner butt mechanisms, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have more episodes of diverticulitis. Whenever triage asks me to rate my pain on a scale of 1-10, diverbluhbluh usually rates a 9 when its spiking. Kidney stones are the absolute worst though. It's like someone is pressing a tack inside of you right on your dick and spots around it as hard as they possibly can. That pain is a 10, easy. They usually say that giving birth rates a 10 on the pain scale, but since I can't experience that for myself, I asked a woman who has both given birth and had kidney stones and she said kidney stones are way worse than pooping out a baby.

It's all good though. It's the most miserable hour of your life, then they inject you with dilaudid (sp) and the pain just melts away and for those few brief periods you're the most tranquil being at peace on this gay Earth.

e: Oh and make sure that you're constantly given laxatives if you're taking painkillers every time you're allowed to, otherwise you'll have to stay an extra day in the hospital simply because you're hyper-constipated.

there are so, so many things so much more painful than giving birth.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

subhuman filth posted:

Nah, compartment syndrome is nasty poo poo which happens in response to swelling.

This is what the aftermath looks like.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 28, 2016

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

I get hospitalized every time I go to an ER where the docs don't understand what I mean when I say "Cluster Headache". I've had to make late night calls to my neurologist to have him explain that they don't need to order an MRI or any other tests and I'm also not having a 'psychotic break', and they just need to give me a strong anti-inflammatory, antihistamine, and dopamine antagonist, hook me up on high flow oxygen, and if none of that works give me the strongest pain med they can.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

William Stoner posted:

I get hospitalized every time I go to an ER where the docs don't understand what I mean when I say "Cluster Headache". I've had to make late night calls to my neurologist to have him explain that they don't need to order an MRI or any other tests and I'm also not having a 'psychotic break', and they just need to give me a strong anti-inflammatory, antihistamine, and dopamine antagonist, hook me up on high flow oxygen, and if none of that works give me the strongest pain med they can.

Legit question have you ever tried Psilocybin mushrooms?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

William Stoner posted:

That's because the liability rests with them once you walk through their door so they have to exclude things which might kill you in case this time around it's not "just" a cluster headache.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Lolie posted:

Nah, compartment syndrome is nasty poo poo which happens in response to swelling.

This is what the aftermath looks like.

trust me, i know how bad compartment can look. the arm in that image just looked heavily debrided, and I've never seen that much uhh...concavity from a fasciotomy. that said, i'm no orthopod and dont know that much about its long term management

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

subhuman filth posted:

trust me, i know how bad compartment can look. the arm in that image just looked heavily debrided, and I've never seen that much uhh...concavity from a fasciotomy. that said, i'm no orthopod and dont know that much about its long term management

The leg in the pic I posted was horrendous. He was in hospital for 4 months, had 23 surgeries in theatre to debride the wound and lost most of his calf muscle. He left hospital with osteomyelitis and was still at risk of losing his leg for almost a year. That picture was taken 3 years on. The capacity of the human body to heal is extraordinary.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Lolie posted:

The leg in the pic I posted was horrendous. He was in hospital for 4 months, had 23 surgeries in theatre to debride the wound and lost most of his calf muscle. He left hospital with osteomyelitis and was still at risk of losing his leg for almost a year. That picture was taken 3 years on. The capacity of the human body to heal is extraordinary.

nice

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lolie posted:

That's because the liability rests with them once you walk through their door so they have to exclude things which might kill you in case this time around it's not "just" a cluster headache.

That's the main reason I have had so many chest x-rays over the course of my life, because I would wait to go to Urgent Care or the ER until it was clear I had a case of bronchitis or pneumonia that needed a course of antibiotics. It was really nice when I had established with a doctor that I could just call up and say "Looks like I have a chest infection going - could I get the usual?" and she would fax in the prescriptions to the pharmacy.

Strangely enough, since I quit smoking cigarettes my lungs have been much happier and I haven't had yearly bouts of bronchitis or pneumonia. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

It's not unusual to treat it on an outpatient basis here once it's under control. It did mean that ortho had to wait to do their thing, though, and plastics haven't yet done their thing.

• Locked thread