Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Legit question have you ever tried Psilocybin mushrooms?

Yes, I have once. It extended my remission period significantly.

I really wish it was regulated and I could get it through a pharmacy with quality control and all that. I didn't even have a recreational dose (3.5g) I had 1g. I barely felt like I was tripping, but it helped a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Lolie posted:

It's not unusual to treat it on an outpatient basis here once it's under control. It did mean that ortho had to wait to do their thing, though, and plastics haven't yet done their thing.

oh, i thought you were implying he left ama. thats a pretty awesome recovery all things considered.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

William Stoner posted:

I really wish it was regulated and I could get it through a pharmacy with quality control and all that. I didn't even have a recreational dose (3.5g) I had 1g. I barely felt like I was tripping, but it helped a lot.

They're trivially easy to grow, you know. It's even legal to grow them in some states as long as it's for "educational purposes" and you "don't" harvest them.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

subhuman filth posted:

trust me, i know how bad compartment can look. the arm in that image just looked heavily debrided, and I've never seen that much uhh...concavity from a fasciotomy. that said, i'm no orthopod and dont know that much about its long term management

I had a split graft as they couldn't close the fasciotomy in that part of the arm. The rest of the incisions were stapled back up. I lost some muscle as there was some tissue death. It was pretty loving serious.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

Nigmaetcetera posted:

They're trivially easy to grow, you know. It's even legal to grow them in some states as long as it's for "educational purposes" and you "don't" harvest them.

I've never head about the educational purposes piece.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

William Stoner posted:

I've never head about the educational purposes piece.

Maybe it was some other lame justification I heard, I just know it's a million times easier to do it and not get caught than it is to do with pot. Also it's fun and makes you feel like a wizard or something.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I stayed in a Korean hospital for about 2 weeks after getting back surgery. Everything was slightly grimy, and they have a weird system that results in people living there for work benefit reasons. Like, there guy there who had lived there for 6 months after a sprained ankle.

I was in a room with like 10 old Korean guys and one immigrant teenager who got his thumb sliced off in a factory. They played horrible Korean singing programs on the TV all day, but were otherwise nice. Also, it cost a fraction of what that surgery and hospital stay would have cost in the U.S.

Oh, and a nurse bent me over the toilet and shoved an enema bag up my rear end.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
Not nearly as bad as some of these stories but I was bitten/stung by some kind of insect on my right foot while on vacation in 2010. Over the course of about 2 days my foot swelled up to about 3-4x normal size to the point I couldn't walk. The bite itself oozing pus. It really did not hurt that bad unless I stood on it so I put off going to the hospital longer than I should have.I took over the counter stuff like benadryl hoping it was just some mild allergic reaction but it kept getting worse and worse. When I finally went they immediately admitted me and hurried me to intensive care which freaked me out a bit. If ER personnel are concerned this must be way more serious than I thought. So I spent 6 days in intensive care being pumped full of a shitload of antibiotics and other stuff. They told me if I had waited another 12-24 hours I could have lost my foot. Much longer and I could have lost my life.

I did not have insurance at the time and the hospital bill was about an order of magnitude more than I could have ever paid for. So my credit is poo poo to this day and I still have some lingering effects from the antibiotics.

Oh yeah one time I had a catheter shoved up my dickhole, do not recommend.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I once checked into an urgent care with bumps on my palms, bottoms of feet, elbows and knees that itched. Doc there asked me if I had been "camping around" because he thought I had syphalis, so he recommended the ER. Waited 4 hours in the middle of the night, doc actually had to consult a medical book only to tell me, which I had suspected due to the kid also having it, I had hand foot mouth. Apparently adults don't get it unless their immune system is compromised. I do remember a day or two prior having intense chills which were strangely good feeling but intense right before bed. My knees and elbows still have red splotches and are ashy as hell despite all the lotion every day.

TL;DR got a baby disease at 27.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
I was about twelve, got hit by a car crossing the road with my granma, she took most of the impact and broke her hip, I got smacked hard on the road. blacked out and came to my senses a few times including several in an ambulance. regained my consciousness fully by the the afternoon and the doctor told me I had a minor concussion and a lot of bruises and made me gently caress off home and no TV or computer for three months. that summer sucked

granma grew her hip back alright

pretty sure the car driver that hit us at the crossing went to Russian jail. RIP

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Node posted:

Five times in my adult life. Two from kidney stones, three from diverticulitis. Despite a colonoscopy that found nothing wrong with my inner butt mechanisms, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have more episodes of diverticulitis. Whenever triage asks me to rate my pain on a scale of 1-10, diverbluhbluh usually rates a 9 when its spiking. Kidney stones are the absolute worst though. It's like someone is pressing a tack inside of you right on your dick and spots around it as hard as they possibly can. That pain is a 10, easy. They usually say that giving birth rates a 10 on the pain scale, but since I can't experience that for myself, I asked a woman who has both given birth and had kidney stones and she said kidney stones are way worse than pooping out a baby.

It's all good though. It's the most miserable hour of your life, then they inject you with dilaudid (sp) and the pain just melts away and for those few brief periods you're the most tranquil being at peace on this gay Earth.

e: Oh and make sure that you're constantly given laxatives if you're taking painkillers every time you're allowed to, otherwise you'll have to stay an extra day in the hospital simply because you're hyper-constipated.

wait u mean u dont get the dope while passing them, only afterwards (guessing this is due difficulty urinating on heavy opioids)? :wtc:

gently caress that noise id bring my ketamine if thats really the case

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

William Stoner posted:

I've been wanting to try microdosing on either psilocybin or lsd, it seems like the next untapped frontier of performance enhancement for humans brains.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

Chubbs posted:

I've been wanting to try microdosing on either psilocybin or lsd, it seems like the next untapped frontier of performance enhancement for humans brains.

I can't imagine how microdosing would work based on the extreme tolerance a person builds.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Oh yeah, when I had my first major seizure that I knew about* (since I was like 3) around the age of 19 or 20, I broke my nose. In the ER they gave me morphine, which didn't work, so they gave me a double dose, which didn't work, so they gave me another, which didn't work, so they gave me dilaudid, which didn't work, so they gave me a double dose, which didn't work, and so on several more times. I was wide awake and surly. The anti-inflammatory they gave me worked the best. My physician dad later told me he'd never seen anything like it and that it would have been a fatal OD for anyone else outside of a hospital setting. So morphine and dilaudid don't work on me for whatever reason. For some reason hydrocodone and oxycodone work fine (with quadruple doses at least), though. Go figure.

William Stoner posted:

I can't imagine how microdosing would work based on the extreme tolerance a person builds.

It would function only as a placebo, like normal doses of smart drugs.

*I had one when I was 12 and then when I was 13, but nobody saw and I didn't hurt myself so I had no idea.

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 29, 2016

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Pretty sure my guts are shifting in an inadvisable manner

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Better head back to your new home away from home.

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum
When I was in middle school I was hospitalized for pneumonia. Unfortunately, I also developed a horrendous cold, so instead of shoving that air tube thing in my nose, I had to hang out in an oxygen tent. Some nurse dude named Tim came every couple of days to punch my back in an attempt to make me cough up stuff from my lungs. I hated him.

Few years ago, experienced my first kidney stone. Was in pain for a couple of days, hot baths and heating pads were no longer helping, so, very worried, I drove myself to emergent care around midnight-ish on Sunday. Pain was probably a 6 or 7. They took one look at me and asked if I had ever had a kidney stone before. Gave me a hit of some non-narcotic, didn't do poo poo. Gave me a hit of morphine, didn't do poo poo but make me feel a horrible pressure in my chest like I was about to have a panic attack. Second hit of morphine hit the sweet spot, and I was so drat happy at being able to stretch out.

Few days later, I decide to go to work. This was the day the oxycodone - which made me itchy - stopped working. I made it an hour before I left in agony and drove myself right back to emergent care. This time, the pain was well beyond a 10 and I didn't give a drat what they wanted to do to me as long as they made the pain to away. They made me wait a lot longer before administering the morphine, but the nurse was awesome. I told her how I reacted the first time so she pushed the morphine slower, and I didn't get that awful feeling. Again, bliss, because I could stop writhing in pain. Got an ultrasound and hydrocodone, and went home.

After a couple more days, I was managing the pain mostly with ibuprofen. drat stone was 3mm. I couldn't believe something so tiny could cause so much pain. Urologist said if I hadn't passed it the day I brought it to her, she would have sent me for surgery. I wanted to keep it, but they had to send it for testing so they could tell me all the wonderful things I can no longer eat.

I don't ever, ever want to experience that again. Never truly understood the definition of "agony" before that. I think I earned some sort of badass badge for driving with a kidney stone. Twice.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Never been anything other than an outpatient for: tonsillectomy, adenoidectomy, clavicle resection, and three colonoscapies.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cymoril posted:

When I was in middle school I was hospitalized for pneumonia. Unfortunately, I also developed a horrendous cold, so instead of shoving that air tube thing in my nose, I had to hang out in an oxygen tent. Some nurse dude named Tim came every couple of days to punch my back in an attempt to make me cough up stuff from my lungs. I hated him.

Few years ago, experienced my first kidney stone. Was in pain for a couple of days, hot baths and heating pads were no longer helping, so, very worried, I drove myself to emergent care around midnight-ish on Sunday. Pain was probably a 6 or 7. They took one look at me and asked if I had ever had a kidney stone before. Gave me a hit of some non-narcotic, didn't do poo poo. Gave me a hit of morphine, didn't do poo poo but make me feel a horrible pressure in my chest like I was about to have a panic attack. Second hit of morphine hit the sweet spot, and I was so drat happy at being able to stretch out.

Few days later, I decide to go to work. This was the day the oxycodone - which made me itchy - stopped working. I made it an hour before I left in agony and drove myself right back to emergent care. This time, the pain was well beyond a 10 and I didn't give a drat what they wanted to do to me as long as they made the pain to away. They made me wait a lot longer before administering the morphine, but the nurse was awesome. I told her how I reacted the first time so she pushed the morphine slower, and I didn't get that awful feeling. Again, bliss, because I could stop writhing in pain. Got an ultrasound and hydrocodone, and went home.

After a couple more days, I was managing the pain mostly with ibuprofen. drat stone was 3mm. I couldn't believe something so tiny could cause so much pain. Urologist said if I hadn't passed it the day I brought it to her, she would have sent me for surgery. I wanted to keep it, but they had to send it for testing so they could tell me all the wonderful things I can no longer eat.

I don't ever, ever want to experience that again. Never truly understood the definition of "agony" before that. I think I earned some sort of badass badge for driving with a kidney stone. Twice.

Pneumonia and me are old friends, and I never once recall ever having someone pound on my back for it. Sounds like you managed to land an extra-sadistic nurse.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Pneumonia and me are old friends, and I never once recall ever having someone pound on my back for it. Sounds like you managed to land an extra-sadistic nurse.

If you're really young or really old, they beat or massage your chest/back to express the mucus and help you cough it up.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Bananana posted:

If you're really young or really old, they beat or massage your chest/back to express the mucus and help you cough it up.

First time I had pneumonia would've been in elementary school, so I was fairly young.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

First time I had pneumonia would've been in elementary school, so I was fairly young.

Oh, I'm not a doctor--but I did stay at a holiday Inn express last night.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Face down in hospital bed right now. Had an infected cyst on my back that needs draining
The four numbing shots kinda hurt

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Drunk Nerds posted:

Face down in hospital bed right now. Had an infected cyst on my back that needs draining

On behalf of the Hospitalization thread, I wish you a fast recovery, and good health.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

Drunk Nerds posted:

Oooh, cysts and abcesses are loving gross.

I got an abscess in a hair follicle in my right armpit while I was a sail trainee on a tall ship. The infection spread into my upper arm and it turned bright red. It got to the point where I couldn't move my arm without it hurting, and it was incredibly swollen. Ended up having to have one of the other crew members lance it and drain it one day when we were docked. In hindsight, it was hilarious because a group of kids were onboard doing a walkthrough tour of the ship, and they chanced upon me on my back, writing in pain as the pus was being squeezed out of my arm. loving gross, dude.

I had to keep it bandaged and let it drain for several more days after that. It was perfectly timed with Halloween that year, so I added other bandages and drainage tubes to other parts of my body and used that for my costume. Everyone was super grossed out. :thumbsup:

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.
I've only been in the hospital for an appreciable length of time twice. Once when I broke my dick, and once when I got a food bolus.

A food bolus is basically a wad of food (pulled pork, in this case) wedged in the esophagus that prevents swallowing. It hurt for over 24 hours, nearly required an endoscopy, and as soon as I was better I poo poo myself in the hospital.

1/5 would not recommend.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Mariana Horchata posted:

wait u mean u dont get the dope while passing them, only afterwards (guessing this is due difficulty urinating on heavy opioids)? :wtc:

gently caress that noise id bring my ketamine if thats really the case

Not trying to troll you but I don't understand what you are trying to say. The routine I've gone through with two stones is:

1) Get someone to drive me to the hospital while I'm dying
2) Get into triage and an intake room while I'm dying
3) Get an IV inserted and a catscan while I'm dying
4) They confirm its a kidney stone stuck in there and give me amazing drugs and I'm not dying anymore
5) Get admission to a hospital and filter my piss until I pass the stone in a couple days, usually on hydrocodone/lortab the whole time

HodjasBitch
Apr 24, 2003

Too bad you revealed what a huge asshole you are so early in the game.....I woulda put out.
Fun Shoe
I was discharged yesterday from a week in the hospital. I have a few clotting disorders, CHF, sarcoidosis and pulmonary hypertension. I was in for the first two. Not the first time, won't be the last.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
I took a gnarly wipeout on a ski jump and they thought I might have broken spine, but I just bruised it. The worst part was that uncomfortable neck stabilizer and being strapped to a board for 6 hours

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
I had an orchidectomy done almost exactly three years ago. Orchidectomy is a surgery where they cut off one (or both) of your balls off, usually because of cancer.

I was in a lot of pain after the surgery, they gave me a diclofenac drip which did absolutely nothing (srsly what's up with diclofenac that makes it not work on me?) and I begged the nurse for some sort of opiate to dull the pain.

At the same time, I was freaking out since I was kicking my longtime Suboxone habit and I was already in a bad enough shape, the nurse wondered whether she should give me opiates, but then I confessed upon her that I'm a serious junkie and that there's nothing that she could give me that would've caused me longtime harm/addiction and that this ship has already sailed a long time ago.

She understood and gave me an IM shot of something - I don't know what it was but it worked wonders and I could then finally fall asleep - it was around two in the morning by that time.

And the nurse, she was a little old lady who must have been over 60 years old. She had that incredible "grandmotherly grandma" vibes to her, and she held onto me until I stopped freaking out.

Eh, I just don't know anymore. She never judged me for being a degenerate junkie and she showed me so much love and affection that I nearly cried right then and there.

It was a nonverbal communication, and I later promised her that I'll kick my opiate addiction - and I've made true on that.

Goddammit, grandma nurse. :unsmith:

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
I had a thing on my lungs. I was really hosed up with very high temperatures. At the time I was 16 and still placed in the children part of the hospital. First lovely part was that the only doctor who diagnosed me properly was a Pakistani student :madprops:

The other thing that surprised me were the nurses who let me smoke on the balcony and leeched cigs of me.

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE
gently caress. I'm so glad that my only issues have been high cholesterol and hypertension, so I haven't had to spend any time in hospitals ever.
Although I've still never tried morphine or other strong painkillers. Knowing me, I should be happy about that...

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Morphine is dope

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Chubbs posted:

Oooh, cysts and abcesses are loving gross.

i had a woman come in with like 4 tennis ball sized abscesses on her hips and rear end from skin popping heroin because her arms and legs were pitted leather. the cool thing about abscesses is its basically impossible to provide adequate analegesia because the chemical environment deactivates anaesthetics. we were not friends by the end of it

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I went to a research hospital to figure out why my heart rate was out of control. $8000 and a crowd of doctors later, there was no diagnosis, and it just went away. Probably poisoning.

I also had some kind of strange rash once. Again I ended up in a research hospital and was inspected by literally a hundred dermatologists who were there for conference. Every single one said something like "Thank you for allowing us to do this". Secretly I was thinking how amazing it was I was getting to see a hundred doctors for free, especially since it was for something weird. But apparently some people are idiots and get annoyed by this. One doctor asked me to lift my shirt and spotted a tiny rash under my bellybutton, which evidently was caused by a cheap belt buckle. I was mildly allergic to nickel it turns out and it was causing an ID reaction elsewhere. Changed belts, problem solved.

My photos are in a medical textbook now.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

My photos are in a medical textbook now.

(pictured, fig. 1: Micropenis)

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
its a grower ok

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

its a grower ok

try explaining that to the hot anesthesiologist that's just put you under... :(

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I WAS IN THE POOL!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
When I woke up from my C-section in the recovery room, I apparently kept getting really upset and telling "WHERE'S (newborn's name)?" and "WHERE'S (his dad's name)?" They would tell me kid was in the NICU but doing well, and his dad was with him. I'd doze for a few minutes and then wake up and freak out again.

Also, the doctor forgot to order any sort of pain medication for me, so I spent a looooong 45 minutes after waking up fully waiting to go meet my kid. The epidural had worn off (my body metabolizes that poo poo super fast) but it wasn't too bad as long as I held still.

The medication (IV morphine) showed up right around the time my baby daddy did, with pictures. So a nurse was pushing several mg of morphine right as I was shown the first picture. Through the sudden dizziness and fuzziness, I observed that my newborn son had rather large tetsicles, especially in relation to his tiny new baby body.

So I blurted "WOW HE'S GOT HUGE BALLS." That was the first observation I ever made about my child after he'd left the womb.

The nurses lost their poo poo and baby-daddy was bit miffed.

Also, when I was learning to feed the kid, I was scared and hesitant and timid, so one nurse just reached over, grabbed my tit, and popped it into my kid's mouth. I appreciated it but was also surprised.

• Locked thread