Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

I'm a warrior seeking peace and an end to bloodshed. I'm on a pilgrimage to the Temple to No Gods in the distant City of Gulls. I have vast and deadly patience and the summoning-name of a ghost burned into my memory.

My pilgrimage has brought me to the Jaggedlands, inhabited by followers of a grim torturer-devil. My goal is to pass safely through and continue on my pilgrimage.

You, Game Room people, play the world. Your goal is to see me to my doom, instead of safely on my way. You're allowed only to directly answer my direct questions, though, so you might not be able to do it.

The rules:
  1. Only answer my questions (which will be bolded).
  2. If I ask several, only answer one; let others answer the rest.
  3. If you don't know the answer, make something up.
  4. Keep your answers short.
  5. If your answer's disruptive, I'll ignore it.
  6. Otherwise, I have to go with the first I get.
You can post the phrase 'no gods watch over you' to show that you're following the game.

Two weeks have I traveled through nameless wastes. I endured hunger and eluded the attention of predators to reach the Jaggedlands. Under a dead tree's leafless branches I sit, taking a moment to drink from my rubber waterskin.

Something warns me of
approaching danger. What warns me? Anyone should answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
You hear the laughter of children echo around you.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
No gods watch over you.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

UnCO3 posted:

No gods watch over you.

sorry is this something I should have posted or only if I plan to lurk?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

JimsonTheBetrayer posted:

sorry is this something I should have posted or only if I plan to lurk?

Only if you want to let me know you're reading, but haven't written an answer (yet).

You hear the laughter of children echo around you.

Never am I alone, though always lonely. Quickly but carefully I seal my waterskin, then sling it over my shoulder. I stand, alert and anxious, peering out at the Jaggedlands terrain before me.

The laughter is not the only sound I hear. What do I hear approaching from the distance? Anyone should answer.

I may need to run or hide. What path do I see should I need to flee? Anyone should answer.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

ibntumart posted:

I may need to run or hide. What path do I see should I need to flee? Anyone should answer.

You see erupted chunks of the black earth of yesteryear provide a servicable shelter from both the wind and prying eyes.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

ibntumart posted:

What do I hear approaching from the distance? Anyone should answer.
A clamour and music such as you might hear at a carnival procession, and amongst the noises, the ringing sound of great blades being sharpened.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
The music likely celebrates nothing a decent person would want to be part of. And well know I what uses the torturer-devil's followers put their blades to.

I wedge myself into the outcropping, pressing against the tough stone and cold metal. I am safe from the wind perhaps, and from sight for now, but I will not be able to stay hidden for long. I must take stock of my surroundings and plan to move.

What evidence do I see of those who have traveled this path before me? Anyone may answer.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ibntumart posted:

What evidence do I see of those who have traveled this path before me? Anyone may answer.

No gods watch over you, for further up the the path you see a small stone slab errected into a makeshift altar. The table is splashed with blood and the bones of small birds and vermin litter the area. The words rough hewn onto the base of the shrine can only be read on one section - "..ceed... sacrifice..."

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
No gods watch over you.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Those who live here prey on whatever bleeds, it seems. I must make sure I do not adorn an altar myself. But that means balancing speed with watchfulness... a daunting task in such bleak lands.I shall press on.

What do I not notice hiding nearby until I turn away from the altar? Anyone may answer.

What is the most noticeable landmark in the distance before me? Anyone may answer.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

ibntumart posted:

What do I not notice hiding nearby until I turn away from the altar? Anyone may answer.

It seems the bloody altar has attracted one of the beasts roaming these lands. It watches you carefully with a multitude of eyes, its body a mass of writhing tendrils surrounding a gaping maw.

As it approaches slowly, curiously, the sound of children's laughter swells up to an unbearable volume. It extends a probing tendril.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

ibntumart posted:

What is the most noticeable landmark in the distance before me? Anyone may answer.
A tall splinter of rock, atop which it seems a mirror is throwing light in your direction, then flitting elsewhere, then back again.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
No gods watch over you.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

UnCO3 posted:

A tall splinter of rock, atop which it seems a mirror is throwing light in your direction, then flitting elsewhere, then back again.

Curious. Evidence of someone or thing intelligent watching me... or perhaps a trick of nature.

Fathis Munk posted:

It seems the bloody altar has attracted one of the beasts roaming these lands. It watches you carefully with a multitude of eyes, its body a mass of writhing tendrils surrounding a gaping maw.

As it approaches slowly, curiously, the sound of children's laughter swells up to an unbearable volume. It extends a probing tendril.

My muscles tense, ready to spirit me away or fling myself at the beast. A forbidden name tries to escape my lips, but I force my mouth shut.

What around me would serve best as a weapon, if anything? Anyone should answer.

Do I have time to avoid the tendril? Anyone should answer.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

ibntumart posted:

Do I have time to avoid the tendril? Anyone should answer.

A decision needs to be made immediately. Your pack weighs heavily upon you. With the quick maneuvers required you fear you may lose some it's contents.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ibntumart posted:

What around me would serve best as a weapon, if anything? Anyone should answer.

A jagged obsidian blade lies discarded near your feet, no doubt the foul blade used at the altar.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
The loss of my pack will make surviving my trek much more difficult, but I may die now if I don't sacrifice it. Swiftly I slide it off my shoulder and fling it at the disturbing creature, hoping to distract it.

Do I have a chance to flee? Anyone should answer.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Yes, but the sound of bone-flutes, boisterous chanting, and sharpened iron echoes around the boulders.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Then I should hurry. Taking advantage of the distraction, I grab the obsidian blade and scurry away from the curious beast.

I stop minutes later, catching my breath and taking stock of the land around me.

What is the most distinctive feature of the Jaggedlands terrain? Anyone should answer.

What did the Last Hierophant advise me to avoid should I become lost? Anyone should answer.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

ibntumart posted:

What did the Last Hierophant advise me to avoid should I become lost? Anyone should answer.

They advised you to avoid the original sin of man. Pride.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

ibntumart posted:

What is the most distinctive feature of the Jaggedlands terrain? Anyone should answer.

Earthquakes often strike the jagged lands, this causes plates to rise up and fall down making any path shift as new cliffs or clefts appear. Some say an ancient demon was buried beneath the JaggedLands in an attempt to imprison it and the earthquakes are it struggling against the bonds to break free.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

They advised you to avoid the original sin of man. Pride.

Dignity can come at the cost of death. I hope I'll not have to pay that price.

Apocron posted:

Earthquakes often strike the jagged lands, this causes plates to rise up and fall down making any path shift as new cliffs or clefts appear. Some say an ancient demon was buried beneath the JaggedLands in an attempt to imprison it and the earthquakes are it struggling against the bonds to break free.

No map can ever be made of the Jaggedlands. Only those who make it their home can ever know its secrets. But I have no time for woolgathering now. I see two paths and must decide my way.

What do I see coming down the flat and clear path? Anyone should answer.

What obstacle will hinder me on the other path? Anyone should answer.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

ibntumart posted:

What obstacle will hinder me on the other path? Anyone should answer.
The carcasses and wreckage of what looks to be a trade caravan, slaughtered perhaps two or three days ago, baking in the sun. You fancy that you hear ragged breathing from amidst the bodies.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

ibntumart posted:

What do I see coming down the flat and clear path? Anyone should answer.

An old man with a kind face beckons you towards him. He smiles and his teeth are bleached white. When you turn your head, though, when you glance at him out of the corner of your eye, there is no man. There is nothing but a dark blemish floating in the air.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
The restless dead can be countered only with power I dread. I go down the path of the broken wagon, hoping the shade of the old man cannot follow.

With caution I approach the broken wagon and scattered corpses. Maybe I can replenish my supplies.

What useful thing do I discover? Anyone should answer.

What hidden danger do I miss? Anyone should answer.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

ibntumart posted:

What useful thing do I discover? Anyone should answer.

You discover the recent corpse of a follower of the neophytes. Renowned for their medical supplies. Sure enough you find a vial of the foul smelling green tincture they use to ward off infection.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

ibntumart posted:

What hidden danger do I miss? Anyone should answer.

The dead do not move on easy in the Jaggedlands. The spirits of those who were slaughtered still remain. And they are hateful towards the living.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

You discover the recent corpse of a follower of the neophytes. Renowned for their medical supplies. Sure enough you find a vial of the foul smelling green tincture they use to ward off infection.

I slip the vial into a pouch, hoping I will not have to use it.

Tyrannosaurus posted:

The dead do not move on easy in the Jaggedlands. The spirits of those who were slaughtered still remain. And they are hateful towards the living.

My search has distracted me, it seems. A still corpse does not always mean a quiet spirit. I stop my looting and look about.

Do the hateful spirits notice me yet? Anyone should answer.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

ibntumart posted:

Do the hateful spirits notice me yet? Anyone should answer.

Stealing from the dead hardly screams stealth. They have noticed you and begin to coelesce over your head.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
My curiosity may wind up my doom. But no time for regret now. If I cannot
evade these spirits, I will have to find a way to fight them.

Can I get past the spirits before they finish taking shape? Anyone should answer.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
No; they ignite under the sun. Flames in the shapes of men grasp at you from all directions and the hairs on your skin writhe and turn away.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
I might be able to drive them away. The burning name wants to escape my throat, but I master my words and merely threaten the spirits instead. "Hear me and take heed: I know the shadow speech, the chaining words for the dead who do not die. Away with you if you desire your freedom!"

Do the spirits withdraw and give me the opportunity to escape? Anyone should answer.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

ibntumart posted:

Do the spirits withdraw and give me the opportunity to escape? Anyone should answer.

Fortunately these are the spirits of simple traders, the threat of a fate worse than death is enough to scare them. At the mention of the shadow words and chaining speech they withdraw throwing curses your way . The next undead you encounter may not be so easily intimidated.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
I waste no time and hurry past these easily frightened ghosts. The tower still beckons me from the distance and the path seems to lead where I want to go. But the stones are sharp and many, and sturdy though my boots are, still I feel every step as I march through the bleak shrub-lands.

From a small hillock bedececked in brown grass and leafless trees, I catch my breath, then drink my water. But though I was careful not to be followed, and looked to be sure nothing lurked nearby, I forgot that the sky also has its evils.

What do I see approach me from behind the dark clouds overhead? Anyone may answer.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Winged people armed with cruel swords of iron, bound by long chains to something above the cloud layer.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
A disturbing sight. Surely they are kept chained for a good reason, though they may have enough give to reach me. If I were fool enough to stay where I am, at least.

Do I see a place I could hide? Anyone should answer.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
There is a crack in the ground not far from you. Surely their chains will not extend beneath the Earth. However everyone knows that to go below ground invites terrible misfortune.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
Let it be known that no gods watch over you. Perhaps that is for the best...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
The world below is but a gateway to the abode of the dead. All shall travel there someday... but I won't do it voluntarily.

I catch my breath, then hurl myself from the hillock and race along the sloping plains. May my legs be strong and my eyes sharp.

Do I find a hiding place before the winged people see me? Anyone should answer.

• Locked thread