Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Immortan posted:

Are you saying you know who your father is?

Yes, I do actually! He died years ago but was a good dad and always supported me. Some others like you have already commented on how they felt that was the least believable part of my story.

e:

Crowsbeak posted:

Why shouldn't we try to eliminate the concept?

Who is "we"? Serious question.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jack Gladney posted:

Do you think the immanent loss of a white majority is going to change anything?

Why would it lead to the expansion of whiteness, which is historically unprecedented, rather than the expansion of voter suppression and disenfranchisement, which does have historical backing?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Blue Star posted:

Also, when I say that whites stole all of their culture, I'm talking about ALL OF IT, not just white American culture. This goes back centuries. The Greeks and Romans stole poo poo from the Egyptians. Philosophy, architecture, technology, everything. All through history. The Renaissance was started by stealing poo poo from Muslims. All those Italian paintings that everyone likes? Stolen. All that music? Stolen.

Ah, the white gene is the conqueror gene. Truly, it was no accident of history that allowed the white to take his throne

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Brainiac Five posted:

Why would it lead to the expansion of whiteness, which is historically unprecedented, rather than the expansion of voter suppression and disenfranchisement, which does have historical backing?

I asked that as a real question and not a rhetorical challenge. I don't have any idea what the answer is.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Crowsbeak posted:

Why shouldn't we try to eliminate the concept?

Ah the old "if we just stopped talking about it" tactic.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jack Gladney posted:

I asked that as a real question and not a rhetorical challenge. I don't have any idea what the answer is.

I think that there's not enough intellectual flexibility in the concept for it to survive by altering itself. So I think that, if anything, whiteness will probably collapse in the US (and thus Canada in all likelihood) but potentially persist in Europe and Australia/New Zealand etc. for a period beyond that.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Jack Gladney posted:

Do you think the immanent loss of a white majority is going to change anything?

Is that a rhetorical question or are you simply asking me?

Why do you think it is that "whiteness" is an expandable category for perceived economic success of a group?

edit: I don't think raw demographics alone changes things as can be perceived historically in other societies with a colonial foundation, to answer your question.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 31, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Berke Negri posted:

Is that a rhetorical question or are you simply asking me?

Why do you think it is that "whiteness" is an expandable category for perceived economic success of a group?

No, I'm simply asking. I don't think I have a very good handle on some of the concepts involved. Also I wasn't saying that perceived success makes all/most members of a group white, but that whiteness can be a permeable boundary if one is enculturated in the right way and has the cash.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Buca di Bepis posted:

No they aren't

"Work ethic" is an invention by the laziest group of people on the planet to justify their own collective wealth and privilege and to con the people who actually work into not trying to improve their lot in life at the expense of the gravy train. This group is, coincidentally, also ground zero for the generic unthinking reactionary politics that's responsible for more racial and religious violence than the Klan and every terrorist group on the planet could ever hope to achieve by way of impulsive apathetic endorsement.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Schizotek posted:

"Work ethic" is an invention by the laziest group of people on the planet to justify their own collective wealth and privilege and to con the people who actually work into not trying to improve their lot in life at the expense of the gravy train. This group is, coincidentally, also ground zero for the generic unthinking reactionary politics that's responsible for more racial and religious violence than the Klan and every terrorist group on the planet could ever hope to achieve by way of impulsive apathetic endorsement.

Well no, it isn't. Not really.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Schizotek posted:

Valuing hard work is a great thing in a rural agrarian society where the amount of work done directly affects the physical well-being of both individuals and the community as a whole.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Cotton posted:

Valuing hard work is a great thing in a rural agrarian society where the amount of work done directly affects the physical well-being of both individuals and the community as a whole.

Someone should have told the medieval peasants who ended up declaring a third of the year holidays this.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Brainiac Five posted:

Someone should have told the medieval peasants who ended up declaring a third of the year holidays this.

I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Cotton posted:

I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

If peasants in an extremely agrarian society valued hard work, why did they push continuously for more time off?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Brainiac Five posted:

If peasants in an extremely agrarian society valued hard work, why did they push continuously for more time off?

If you think their "time off" did not include doing quite a bit of necessary work, you're very ignorant.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Cotton posted:

If you think their "time off" did not include doing quite a bit of necessary work, you're very ignorant.

Why were they valuing holidays and festivals instead of valuing hard work? Like, your argument is based around values, so you arguing on something other than the level of values is ridiculous.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Brainiac Five posted:

Why were they valuing holidays and festivals instead of valuing hard work? Like, your argument is based around values, so you arguing on something other than the level of values is ridiculous.

I didn't even know I'd made an argument. I'm merely stating facts here.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You suck.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Cotton posted:

I didn't even know I'd made an argument. I'm merely stating facts here.

Saying your beliefs are indisputable is not a healthy response to being challenged.

Nor is this kind of posting.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
There is also a difference between valuing the participation in socially necessary labor and the Protestant Work Ethic which is what people often refer to when mentioning work ethic in the US.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Rural agrarian society where most of the work benefits the community instead of some sort of landlord hasn't existed in Western society in a meaningful way in over five hundred loving years.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Schizotek posted:

Rural agrarian society where most of the work benefits the community instead of some sort of landlord hasn't existed in Western society in a meaningful way in over five hundred loving years.

It's existed in extremely meaningful communal ways in much of the US since the nation's inception.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Schizotek posted:

Having a landlord who literally steals 90% of what you work for makes working hard all the more important now doesn't it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Anyway, 500 years isn't exactly a long time.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

Hey we're going to go get drunk. A guy came through who made a flute out of a chicken leg bone. It's going to be lit

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

Having a landlord who literally steals 90% of what you work for makes working hard all the more important now doesn't it.

But why was leisure under feudal lords so different from unstructured time under capitalism?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Anyway, 500 years isn't exactly a long time.

It is definitely pre-post-9/11 though which means that nothing that happened then mattered or is in any way comparable to things that happen post-post-9/11.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Uhh, work ethic just means recognizing that exerting effort can result in improving the lives of those you care about and yourself. It does not or should not mean that you should sell your soul to capitalism, and really applies to any sort of society, even post-work ones probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

• Locked thread