Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

One of the things from the right that is odd for me to hear is "We must protect White Culture". It strikes me as odd because even as a white person I have no clue what they are talking about. I can tell that the phrase "White Culture" Is a racist dogwhistle, maybe even a regular whistle, but I keep wondering what they define white culture as. In America at least you can pick out aspects of our culture and see where it originated from but I get the feeling that "White" Might mean not everything that is part of American culture.

This confusion also comes from a personal belief of mine about how American's celebrate cultures that are normally considered white like Germans, Irish, Italians, French, Polish (City I work has this huge Polish Community Center) We get specific about what white cultures we celebrate. St. Patrick's Day, Oktober Fest, Columbus Day(? I heard in some places thats treated as an Italian holiday) But if you just say you celebrate white culture people think Confederate flags and white hoods.

Someone smarter than me as well probably can give a more full description of how "Culture" Is defined for clarity sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
readsettlers.org

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Assuming the sort of people who use the phrase "White Culture" actually have a clear conception of what they're talking about is giving them too much credit.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Bland food, stoicism, weird little christian denominations, individualism

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

JeffersonClay posted:

Bland food, stoicism, weird little christian denominations, individualism
As both a White and a Papist I'm offended.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
banjo music, showtunes, riverdance

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
White people don't really have any culture. Everything was stolen from people with actual culture. Music, food, technology, everything.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

Beavis and Butthead

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

banjo music, showtunes, riverdance
Finally something I can get behind.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Banjo music was stolen from Africans, though. Yep, even hillbilly bluegrass music isn't white, but black. Even country music was stolen by whites, not just rock and roll.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q6G_WqLp1w

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Blue Star posted:

White people don't really have any culture. Everything was stolen from people with actual culture. Music, food, technology, everything.

I can see you've never tasted pickled herring or experienced the joy of dancing round a may-pole. White Genocide is happening, friends!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Its a shifting cargo cult identity that was always used to separate the real citizens from the rest of the world. Those who weren't white ages ago (Irish, Italian and basically anyone who wasn't Anglo Saxon/German/French/Scandinavian or the power players of Europe for a time) have become white now to keep people thinking that white is a majority and white is in power.

White has always been about having the right heritage and the right to rule, even if you currently aren't rich or powerful. So its perfectly adaptable to people who worship the antebellum south.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

BigRed0427 posted:

This confusion also comes from a personal belief of mine about how American's celebrate cultures that are normally considered white like Germans, Irish, Italians, French, Polish (City I work has this huge Polish Community Center) We get specific about what white cultures we celebrate. St. Patrick's Day, Oktober Fest, Columbus Day(? I heard in some places thats treated as an Italian holiday) But if you just say you celebrate white culture people think Confederate flags and white hoods.

Someone smarter than me as well probably can give a more full description of how "Culture" Is defined for clarity sake.
whoah whoah whoah, let's not get too feisty here

When did the Slavs and southeners get to count as white? Next you'll be telling me that the asiatic finn is trying to claim whiteness

As for the Irish, please consult this handy chart:

JeffersonClay posted:

I can see you've never tasted pickled herring or experienced the joy of dancing round a may-pole. White Genocide is happening, friends!
I want to give Koreans honorary white status because they, too, eat fermented skate, though they do put kimchi on it as is their wont for everything, though it must be said that they never really managed to do the imperialism required to get into the club

Though maybe, just maybe OP, you might have problems trying to point out definite shared cultural elements when you're a nation of immigrants spanning almost half a continent

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
truck nutz

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

But not deez nuts.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Blue Star posted:

Polka is white.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

More seriously, it's whatever they like that distinguishes them from others. This isn't a consistent cultural definition, but it's based in a racial concept without consistent roots, so it's always been fluid. The classic example is that for a long time, the Irish, and Irish culture, were not considered white.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

JeffersonClay posted:

I can see you've never tasted pickled herring or experienced the joy of dancing round a may-pole.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Conquering the planet. A lust for the death of all other cultures and their own poors.

Also, forums. The first to forum.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

JeffersonClay posted:

I have danced around a maypole. My dad is a gym teacher and that's one of the units he does. I forget what grade does it.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Pretending you're black then getting found out..

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
Whenever I think of 'white culture' i think of old timey W.A.S.Ps. You know the sort: polos with popped collars, big stupid impractical cars that get dunked on by the Japanese, hummus, bovril, Christmas turkey.. Now I'm just hungry

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Judakel posted:

Pretending you're black then getting found out..

Demanding proof of whiteness from some, proof of blackness from others.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Another question I just realized. Has anyone found examples of weird anti Irish, Italian, some other group of white people that is still discriminated in back woods parts of the US today?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

While demanding acknowledgement that they're 1/56th Cree or some poo poo.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

BigRed0427 posted:

Another question I just realized. Has anyone found examples of weird anti Irish, Italian, some other group of white people that is still discriminated in back woods parts of the US today?

(((nope)))

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

A contradiction in terms

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

Being more on the ethnic side of white ethnic definitely still gets you at least a little discrimination in the most whitebread parts of the country, yes. Probably not Irish or German but if you're Jewish or like really Italian or some variety of eastern european yeah

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 27, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
maybe not Irish or Italian explicitly but there are still weird Anti-Catholic pockets

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
beautiful harmonies and fear of hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot4ulSeYcHU&t=12s

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

More seriously, it's whatever they like that distinguishes them from others. This isn't a consistent cultural definition, but it's based in a racial concept without consistent roots, so it's always been fluid. The classic example is that for a long time, the Irish, and Irish culture, were not considered white.

This is bullshit that gets repeated everywhere unfortunately. Irish were never considered nonwhite except as a joke. British political culture had very deepseated prejudice against Catholics because it saw them as agents of totalitarianism and absolutism. Scientific racist schemata tended to use language family as a guide to racial classification but even as a different linguistic group than Anglo-Saxons Irish were still considered Caucasian, aka White

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 27, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

icantfindaname posted:

This is bullshit that gets repeated everywhere unfortunately. Irish were never considered nonwhite except as a joke. British political culture had very deepseated prejudice against Catholics because it saw them as agents of totalitarianism and absolutism. Scientific racist schemata tended to use language family as a guide to racial classification but even as a different linguistic group than Anglo-Saxons Irish were still considered Caucasian, aka White

My apologies, thanks for the correction. I don't know the history of the relevant period more than my undergrad survey course, which has apparently misled me.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

Anglo-Saxons Irish were still considered Caucasian, aka White

I think its reductive to think being caucasian is the measuring stick of whiteness

I mean, at this point most Americans wouldn't consider Turks white

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-GrF87b82Q

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think its reductive to think being caucasian is the measuring stick of whiteness

I mean, at this point most Americans wouldn't consider Turks white

The Middle East is sort of a weird halfway zone at least for people with lighter skin, where culture is used as the delineator. Like, Middle Eastern Christians with light enough skin for example pretty much count with other white ethnics. Maronites and Armenians, for example, are small but fully integrated communities in the US treated basically no different than Italians. Greeks are arguably aso middle easterners. Turks aren't considered white because of their religion/culture, not their skin color.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

Turks aren't considered white because of their religion/culture, not their skin color.

that's my point

white isn't a racial descriptor its a fluid cultural one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

that's my point

white isn't a racial descriptor its a fluid cultural one

It's not especially fluid though, it means 'Caucasian Christian or Jew'. Caucasian is a requirement, Muslim gets you booted. Subcontinental Indians or East Asians are never going to be considered white no matter how integrated into society they are, for example

• Locked thread