Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
used to love coast to coast back when i was working overnights, still love this intro as it makes me feel like its the wee hours of the morning and i'm about to listen to some crazy people talking about crazy poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L24HbpvQXmo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Tectonis posted:

Dude calls about Area 51 caller and the transmitter goes off the air :tinfoil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee3bld4lTG0

That was known as fake when the caller called back some years later and re-enacted it.

iroguebot posted:

Listening to C2C when Art hosted it was really good in the late 90s and early 2000s, Mel's hole, area 51 caller and his transmitter exploding via government sabotage were some of the best shows that I can remember. Noory is a loving BORE and the show has been horrible for a long, long time now.

Noory sucks, but the weekend and "Day off" people that cover for George are good. Dave Schrader is a much better host who asks a lot of questions and always makes sure to know what the guest is talking about. His team have a free app (for android, don't know about IOS) called Darkness Radio (the name of the show) and you can stream or download whatever shows he does on there. There's some other apps on Android that are just streams of Art Bell 24/7 and those are p good too.

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

Haier posted:

That was known as fake when the caller called back some years later and re-enacted it.

So Aliens can take out a radio transmitter but they can't fake a voice?

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

Haier posted:

Noory sucks, but the weekend and "Day off" people that cover for George are good. Dave Schrader is a much better host who asks a lot of questions and always makes sure to know what the guest is talking about. His team have a free app (for android, don't know about IOS) called Darkness Radio (the name of the show) and you can stream or download whatever shows he does on there. There's some other apps on Android that are just streams of Art Bell 24/7 and those are p good too.

Yeah Dave is great, who was the smoker voiced guy that would sub for Noory as well, think they got rid of him for being too anti government?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Tectonis what tf is going on with your avatar?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Hey OP I just bought one of your mini fridges at Walmart yesterday. It fits 3 times the beer that my old one did. Good job.

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

notZaar posted:

Tectonis what tf is going on with your avatar?

Phone postin' but it's the same as ever for me.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

One of my favorite Art Bell guests was Whitley Strieber, the dude who wrote Communion. I read the book and I knew the dude was a little nuts and/or making it all up, but listening to him tell the story makes me think he got raped and came up with this elaborate story about being probed repeatedly as some kind of coping mechanism.

anyway I really miss C2C

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sir_Charles posted:

One of my favorite Art Bell guests was Whitley Strieber, the dude who wrote Communion. I read the book and I knew the dude was a little nuts and/or making it all up, but listening to him tell the story makes me think he got raped and came up with this elaborate story about being probed repeatedly as some kind of coping mechanism.

anyway I really miss C2C

I wonder if the guy that raped him ever heard the story and thought "huh, guess I got away with that one"

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

iroguebot posted:

Yeah Dave is great, who was the smoker voiced guy that would sub for Noory as well, think they got rid of him for being too anti government?

http://caravantomidnight.com/john-b-wells-fired-coast-coast-popular-truthful-exclusive-interview/

It may have been John B Wells, who was fired for not being Noory enough. It's funny how there's a lot of goofball politics involved even in that environment.

Sir_Charles posted:

anyway I really miss C2C

He used to guest host all the time, while also having his own podcast kind of thing. I wanted to like him but his voice was so god damned annoying that I refused to listen to any of his shows. I tried to read Communion and I didn't think it was anything spectacular. The dude wrote a book called "Cat Magic" for Christ's sake. Definitely a weird dude.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
Mel's hole was pretty great (lol no homo)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
there is this weird cabal of ham radio operators that art holds court over and theyre always involved in petty bicker-wars with other hams because art and his buddies think they can 'own' a certain frequency to talk on or whatever. I've heard him on once or twice but havent ever talked to him, after he did the cradle robbing poo poo with Airyn i kinda got creeped out by him

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I'm sure he and General Johnson Jameson will find the secret recipe to the goblin juice to keep him alive again.

Wait...

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Is there a decent Art replacement? I gave up on MitD after he quit again.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The Bielek Philadelphia experiment interviews are also really good

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
art being a deadbeat dad is completely unsurprising. dude always seemed like he'd be an rear end in a top hat in real life. he's also an ultra conservative who supports trump so :shrug:

iroguebot posted:

Listening to C2C when Art hosted it was really good in the late 90s and early 2000s, Mel's hole, area 51 caller and his transmitter exploding via government sabotage were some of the best shows that I can remember. Noory is a loving BORE and the show has been horrible for a long, long time now.

The band Tool did something cool with this on one of their albums, it really freaked me out back in the day.

the 90's were a primo time for UFO stuff in general. weird sightings, the X-Files, Art in his prime before the gross filipino teenager poo poo

Noory blows, the guy believes every single thing his guests tell him. There's a guy in the UK called Howard Hughes who does a show/podcast called The Unexplained, it's pretty decent. He stays pretty impartial and actually questions his guests insane stories.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Tectonis posted:

Phone postin' but it's the same as ever for me.

Ok so it's always been an incomprehensible jumble of green and red squares?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i love fake spooky poo poo, is there anything like that i can listen to which isnt utter poo poo?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

he's also an ultra conservative who supports trump so :shrug:

At least he isn't an ultra liberal who supports hillary :shrug:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
he's not ultraconservative at all. he's primo libertarian fuckmeat, he's fine with gay marriage and weed and supports whatever party allows him to churn through an ever-rotating smorgasbord of greencard-seeking puss

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

hemale in pain posted:

i love fake spooky poo poo, is there anything like that i can listen to which isnt utter poo poo?
Do you mean the Art Bell stuff, or the Art Bell parodies? If you want "ALL ART BELL ALL THE TIME" there is an app for Android called "Paranormal Radio" is just a bunch of live streams of really old Coast to Coast. It's kinda slow to buffer even on 4G, but it works.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andromo.dev137436.app336144&hl=en

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Who among us wouldn't marry a hot filipina female if given the chance

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

iroguebot posted:

Listening to C2C when Art hosted it was really good in the late 90s and early 2000s, Mel's hole, area 51 caller and his transmitter exploding via government sabotage were some of the best shows that I can remember.

That's when i used to listen. I was in my early 20's and driving home late every night. Loveline was on until midnight, then C2C. I lost interest some time after George Noory took over.

I remember hearing him have the guys who made Blair Witch on and even though the movie had been out for weeks, he was still very surprised to hear that it wasn't actually found footage.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

he's not ultraconservative at all. he's primo libertarian fuckmeat, he's fine with gay marriage and weed and supports whatever party allows him to churn through an ever-rotating smorgasbord of greencard-seeking puss

lmao

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
that's rough

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

criscodisco posted:

Loveline was on until midnight, then C2C.

That lineup got me through many late-night drives across the state, A+

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Haier posted:

Noory is unlistenable. He believes literally everything, as long as it isn't true. George Noory goes beyond being credulous to being actually loving dangerous. He has that one rear end in a top hat veterinarian who comes on talking about mega-dosing vitamin-C and cramming your body full of cholesterol in order to cure every disease known to man. He's had Andrew loving Wakefield on his show, and let that piece of poo poo retcon his entire disgraced past into being the work of a vast, worldwide conspiracy to force us all to take non-working vaccines that give us autism. George doesn't even ask questions; he just believes. "That's just terrible. You know, with polio and smallpox just coincidentally disappearing from the planet, it's hard to prove that current vaccines are completely ineffective and are actually terrible for you. It's too bad they railroaded you, or we could all be taking the vaccines manufactured by your company that your own research proved to be totally safe and kick-rear end." In addition to all that, he's just loving boring. He's also an open-lines addict, and even the quality of the nutjobs who call in has declined since George took over.

As far as the other guest hosts, they're mostly meh, but Connie Willis is the single worst radio presenter I have ever heard in my life, and that includes a local sports show host who breathes into the microphone like an 800-pound man on a treadmill.

Whatever is wrong with Art Bell, as the host of Coast to Coast AM, he was very, very good at his job. He did interesting things, and he spoke to interesting people, and he actually asked questions. Art would let you say any stupid poo poo you wanted, but he'd also question you and challenge you. Sure, Art believed a lot of stupid poo poo, but he didn't believe all the stupid poo poo, and it wasn't always clear which stupid poo poo he believed, and which stupid poo poo he didn't believe, which is how it should be. It wasn't always obvious with Art which side of an issue he was on. With Noory, you always know: whichever side of the issue is empirically false is the side Noory is on. Whichever side requires the most twisting of logic and evidence in order to support it, is the side Noory is on. Whichever side allows Noory to open the phone lines and do a lazy four hours of non-hosting, is the side he is on. Art had both charisma, and a great voice for radio, neither of which Noory could match if he worked on them for ten lifetimes. Most of all, Art knew what made a story good, and he knew when to sit back and let the bullshit fly, and when to intervene.

George Noory sucks, and, by extension, Coast to Coast sucks.

Connie Willis is still worse, though.

Centripetal Horse fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 31, 2016

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Centripetal Horse posted:

Noory is unlistenable. He believes literally everything, as long as it isn't true. George Noory goes beyond being credulous to being actually loving dangerous. He has that one rear end in a top hat veterinarian who comes on talking about mega-dosing vitamin-C and cramming your body full of cholesterol in order to cure every disease known to man. He's had Andrew loving Wakefield on his show, and let that piece of poo poo retcon his entire disgraced past into being the work of a vast, worldwide conspiracy to force us all to take non-working vaccines that give us autism. George doesn't even ask questions; he just believes. "That's just terrible. You know, with polio and smallpox just coincidentally disappearing from the planet, it's hard to prove that current vaccines are completely ineffective and are actually terrible for you. It's too bad they railroaded you, or we could all be taking the vaccines manufactured by your company that your own research proved to be totally safe and kick-rear end." In addition to all that, he's just loving boring. He's also an open-lines addict, and even the quality of the nutjobs who call in has declined since George took over.

As far as the other guest hosts, they're mostly meh, but Connie Willis is the single worst radio presenter I have ever heard in my life, and that includes a local sports show host who breathes into the microphone like an 800-pound man on a treadmill.

Whatever is wrong with Art Bell, as the host of Coast to Coast AM, he was very, very good at his job. He did interesting things, and he spoke to interesting people, and he actually asked questions. Art would let you say any stupid poo poo you wanted, but he'd also question you and challenge you. Sure, Art believed a lot of stupid poo poo, but he didn't believe all the stupid poo poo, and it wasn't always clear which stupid poo poo he believed, and which stupid poo poo he didn't believe, which is how it should be. It wasn't always obvious with Art which side of an issue he was on. With Noory, you always know: whichever side of the issue is empirically false is the side Noory is on. Whichever side requires the most twisting of logic and evidence in order to support it, is the side Noory is on. Whichever side allows Noory to open the phone lines and do a lazy four hours of non-hosting, is the side he is on. Art had both charisma, and a great voice for radio, neither of which Noory could match if he worked on them for ten lifetimes. Most of all, Art knew what made a story good, and he knew when to sit back and let the bullshit fly, and when to intervene.

George Noory sucks, and, by extension, Coast to Coast sucks.

Yeah, Art is a complete diva and obviously a bit of a creeper, but he is a master storyteller. He can get you excited to hear about any goddamn thing. And his shows are cozy as gently caress. I can think of no better accompaniment to a rainy day with a hot drink than some 90s C2C stream, complete with 20 year old ads and news breaks.

Noory is just a company man. He's the Hank Kingsley of nighttime radio. Premiere loves him because he takes marching orders and doesn't try to exercise any of the autonomy that made Art's C2C so compelling. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Noory was essentially told to lay off the Aliens, conspiracies, and other cool poo poo to focus on angels, new age crap, and facilitating glorified infomercials for any turd with a book to hock.

Art did his show from a literal compound in the desert. Noory does it from an LA studio. gently caress Noory, that dishrag looking motherfucker.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Noory seems like the kind of guy who'd be good friends with the 2016 version of Dan Akroyd. That's all you really need to know.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Centripetal Horse posted:

George doesn't even ask questions;

This is one of the things that bugged me about George from the beginning. There's not back-and-forth or banter between the guests and him. He lets them and talk and say "Yeah," "Gosh..." and other dumb poo poo and asks a few scripted questions and that's it. Unlike other hosts who can say "Well, I remember such and such" as part of knowing the actual goings-on in the paranormal industry/lore, George is almost like an outsider without any connection to it and just sits there sipping coffee and gets paid for it.

Connie's accent drives me up the wall. She crawled out of a cornfield and someone gave her a mic. Her questions are also totally left-field in a bad way and it makes her look like an idiot most of the time.

I will admit Art Bell is a good host and I often stream his stuff from the apps I've mentioned. The rest of his life, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

bloodysabbath posted:

Yeah, Art is a complete diva and obviously a bit of a creeper, but he is a master storyteller. He can get you excited to hear about any goddamn thing. And his shows are cozy as gently caress. I can think of no better accompaniment to a rainy day with a hot drink than some 90s C2C stream, complete with 20 year old ads and news breaks.

That's another thing about Art's shows: they're basically timeless, and the good ones hold up to repeat listening. I almost never felt like spinning the dial just because Art was taking the night off, and they were airing a replay. I used to tune in an hour (maybe two?) before the live show started, when WTAM would be replaying the previous night's show.

bloodysabbath posted:

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Noory was essentially told to lay off the Aliens, conspiracies, and other cool poo poo to focus on angels, new age crap, and facilitating glorified infomercials for any turd with a book to hock.

God. That's just awful, if it's true. Even during Art's tenure, I always found the angels and crystals poo poo to be the least compelling shows.

bloodysabbath posted:

Art did his show from a literal compound in the desert. Noory does it from an LA studio. gently caress Noory, that dishrag looking motherfucker.

I lived an hour east of him for about ten years. In fact, I just moved away from Vegas this past January. Pahrump and the surrounding areas are exactly what you picture when you think of a desert-dwelling alien nut ham radio operator holed up in a shack trying to broadcast the truth to the world. It was perfect, and I'm pretty sure it was legitimately who Art was. I don't really hold it against George Noory that he does his radio show from a typical radio show studio, but it's just one more reason Art was more interesting Than George. Art was at least partially living the crackpot lifestyle that seems to go along with aliens and conspiracy theories. I feel like Art had a real curiosity and drive to explore, and George just does not.

Haier posted:

This is one of the things that bugged me about George from the beginning. There's not back-and-forth or banter between the guests and him. He lets them and talk and say "Yeah," "Gosh..." and other dumb poo poo and asks a few scripted questions and that's it. Unlike other hosts who can say "Well, I remember such and such" as part of knowing the actual goings-on in the paranormal industry/lore, George is almost like an outsider without any connection to it and just sits there sipping coffee and gets paid for it.

Connie's accent drives me up the wall. She crawled out of a cornfield and someone gave her a mic. Her questions are also totally left-field in a bad way and it makes her look like an idiot most of the time.

I will admit Art Bell is a good host and I often stream his stuff from the apps I've mentioned. The rest of his life, lol.

George's style is just awful. You're right about his canned and uninteresting responses. Because of all the drama surrounding Art in that decade before he was done for good, I was already over Art being gone, but I really, really wanted to like the man who replaced him. I wanted to see the spirit of the show carried on, even if it wasn't by Art. I judge George Noory to be an utter failure in that regard. Listening to Coast to Coast now, and comparing to what it used to be, is like going to your favorite Italian restaurant, where they've been making everything from scratch for thirty years, and discovering that they've started serving Ragu on top of Great Value spaghetti noodles.

Connie's questions drive me absolutely nuts. It's like she both knows absolutely nothing about any subject covered on the show, and also did not listen to a single word her guest has said during the previous three hours. She is terrible, but she's on less than George, so the damage she does is limited. If I had to pick between George and Connie as full-time hosts, I would pick George. That's how bad Connie is.

• Locked thread